Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US Financial Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Financial Crisis
    Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 18:08
1. Investment in the market has been halted.
2. Unemployment rate is going up very fast.
3. Gas price is going up.
4. Food prices are going up.
5. Big companies has started to close down part of their business due to inactivity.
6. Many houses became Foreclosure.
7. Banks have faced loss of billions of dollars (Loan).
8. Value of US dollar has decreased.
US is officially bankrupt. Unhappy Hold tight and tie your belts, we are on the roller- coaster.

Edited by Suren - 02-Jul-2008 at 18:09
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 18:19

Finances are always a roller coaster.

Have you been reading one of those "How To Profit from the Coming Collapse" books?  Big%20smile

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 18:51
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Have you been reading one of those "How To Profit from the Coming Collapse" books?  Big%20smile

No, I didn't.

My cousin is an econimic analyst and a business adviser for a big company in California. He told me about our future in US and what is really going on now. He is packing for Australia in near future. He has sold his business in US and advised me to be prepared for the biggest recession after the great depression of 1929, so be aware.

The roller-coaster is only going down this time.

maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by Suren

1. Investment in the market has been halted.

The market was getting saturated with too many investors. They should go and invest in more capital starved areas.

2. Unemployment rate is going up very fast.

People are finally enjoying their free time, like in Europe.

3. Gas price is going up.

About time! Now is the coming age of the electric car which should have been around the last 100 years anyway. Crop based biodiesel ftw!

P.S. my pet pidgeon will be very happy to hear about the prices going up.

4. Food prices are going up.

And soon waistlines will be going down and people hopefully will become more picky about their food and start growing herbs and veggies in their yards and kitchens.

5. Big companies has started to close down part of their business due to inactivity.

This is one good characteristics of big companies, they can expand or shrink to meet demand while still keeping the core of their structure intact.

6. Many houses became Foreclosure.

So now the price of houses will become even more affordable as their over-inflated value becomes closer to their true worth and the artifical real estate bubble finally bursts.

7. Banks have faced loss of billions of dollars (Loan).

Yeah its too bad the ones being bailed out are bailed out by other banks who steal them for pennies on the dollar. The taxpayer should become a shareholder in the biggest failures.

8. Value of US dollar has decreased.
US is officially bankrupt. Unhappy Hold tight and tie your belts, we are on the roller- coaster.

On the other hand if you are heavily in debt you should be happy because the value of your debt just decreased, and you did nothing for it! Approve
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 22:59
There is no such thing as an economic cycle, there are only periodical dips.  Cycle infers that there is a recovery imminent (Whitney, 2008). 

Whitney, M. (2008).  The game is over.  Retrieved July 1, 2008 from http://www.michael-hudson.com/interviews/080620GameOver.html.

Michael Hudson is a former Wall Street economist specializing in the balance of payments and real estate at the Chase Manhattan Bank (now JPMorgan Chase & Co.), Arthur Anderson, and later at the Hudson Institute (no relation). In 1990 he helped established the world’s first sovereign debt fund for Scudder Stevens & Clark. Dr. Hudson was Dennis Kucinich’s Chief Economic Advisor in the recent Democratic primary presidential campaign, and has advised the U.S., Canadian, Mexican and Latvian governments, as well as the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR). A Distinguished Research Professor at University of Missouri, Kansas City (UMKC), he is the author of many books, including Super Imperialism: The Economic Strategy of American Empire (new ed., Pluto Press, 2002) He can be reached via his website, mh@michael-hudson.com

Edited by Zagros - 03-Jul-2008 at 15:45
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 23:25

No, I didn't.

My cousin is an econimic analyst and a business adviser for a big company in California. He told me about our future in US and what is really going on now. He is packing for Australia in near future. He has sold his business in US and advised me to be prepared for the biggest recession after the great depression of 1929, so be aware.

I don't know what your cousin's situation is, but if he thinks he will be sheltered from economic catastrophe in Australia, I would like to know how he thinks that is possible.

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 00:33

No, I didn't.

I don't know what your cousin's situation is, but if he thinks he will be sheltered from economic catastrophe in Australia, I would like to know how he thinks that is possible.

Good question. I have one myself. If the US economy is tanking, then why is it still growing?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 00:59

He is packing for Australia in near future.

Honestly, alot of people here are expecting the next big wave of immigrants to be American economic refugees. Especially tradesmen and professionals that can address Australias skills shortage.
Soon the Americans will feel the harsh blade of Australia's immigration policy.
Originally posted by Pike

The only thing stopping the Australian economy is lack of manpower. When it comes to the economy, Australia and the US is on completely different pages.
Our economic problems are being caused by too much wealth - inflation, high housing prices etc.

The future looks very rosy here. China is booming, Australia is holding tight to her tails. Asia is booming, and the whole region is on the up.

The rise of China, while Americas detriment, is Australias blessing.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 03-Jul-2008 at 01:00
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 04:05
im less optimistic about our economy. we have one good industry, resources. This is depended on global growth which is itself depended on China and India. We are in a risky corner even if we have avoided the intial down turn.  If you strip out resources we would be in a recesion, our skill shortages are mainly in that industry or because that industry has sucked away workers from other industries. Beyond Perth the economy is screwed. We have just as much debt (per household) and suffer the same lack on infrasucture investment as the US/UK. Except aleast in the US they have a oversuply of house rather than our under supply.

Omar ,our market crashed more than those in the States, you know why? we have two major sectors in our market; financials (roughly twice the size relative to the US) and resources (but half what the USA has in OIL). We have no diversity in our economic base and even if our own financials are in better shape than those in the USA and some of those Euro banks they still get effected. Credit is complety global and effects all countries that are plugged into the global economy. we are not immune to the credit crunch and its cascading effects. same for oil.

Anyway, our market dropped under 5,000 today and i have to present to our associated advisors on why the market got hammered this financial year- tommorrow, not happy. if it pushes the 4800 resistance point its will be mayhem. (for non aussies it was almost 7000 at its high last year)

when i get home i will post about the broader isue (at workWink)

Edited by Leonidas - 03-Jul-2008 at 04:08
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 14:35

Have you been reading one of those "How To Profit from the Coming Collapse" books? Big%20smile

No, I didn't. My cousin is an econimic analyst and a business adviser for a big company in California. He told me about our future in US and what is really going on now. He is packing for Australia in near future. He has sold his business in US and advised me to be prepared for the biggest recession after the great depression of 1929, so be aware. The roller-coaster is only going down this time.

Unfortunately I must agree with your cousin. More unfortunately, I can't move to Australia or the EU right away.

I was freaking out yesterday because I heard on the radio an economist talking about how we must pass a huge financial package where taxes are slashed for the middle class and the government spends a lot in infrastructure for the next few years.

This is Kaynes. And what should worry us about this is that Kaynes ideas was the solution for the Great Depression.

In other words, this economist, who rights books about how great the market and capitalism is, feels that what we are looking at is a Great Depression situation.

To me the best part about this is that most of those who lived through the Depression in the U.S. are either dead, dying, or ignored. Most Americans have no freaking idea what a massive economic crisis is like. Many offer the 70s as a counter example, but the 70s were just a hard period in the U.S. Not a society changing economic crisis.

And I see many of the same things that happened in Mexico during the 1980s starting to happen in the U.S., and I don't like it at all.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 14:37
Originally posted by Panther

Good question. I have one myself. If the US economy is tanking, then why is it still growing?

Hi, there,

This is a history forum, so let's remember what the economic conditions were right before the crash of 1929. Eerily similar.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 15:15
i ran out time for this thread tonight. tomorrow i want to post some stuff on the US.  The US has had the mother of all credit bubbles burst all over their balance sheets  along with the related asset bubble bursting across many home values. It was a slow train wreck witnessed over the last 12 months,  the reality only just sinking in for the wider audience.

The amount of leverage is staggering, and not just loans but derivatives*. The write downs will continue, some banks wont survive in their current form

*so far we may have heard of CDO's in the press, it was CDO squares that did the damage.. but we havent yet seen what CDS Credit default swaps will do.  est 1 trillion on the market somewhere. BTW I only understand the concept behind these things.

I welcome all the refugees to the fine shores of Austalia, when we can build more houses...
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 15:43
Creative accounting and speculation = bubble, bubbles grow and can keep growing but they eventually burst. Read that article I linked up above for some insight as to what is going on and why.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 16:56
Great article, Zagros. That economist is my kind of economist.

The fairy tale of the free market must die again, as it once did after the Great Depression. Unfortunately it is like a zombie.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 18:16
Glad you liked it: Your kind of economist? what? like practical and honest?  Yeah, my kind of economist too.

The free market isn't the problem.  The free market so far as it is ethical is great in my opinion.  fact is, and that article says it, that the US government and other institutions have been acting contrary to the principles of the free market.  The free market would not have let such an impending disaster simmer for so long, unfortunately the financial intervention of America Inc. in bailing out ailing dinosaurs at the expense of ordinary savings holders and debtors has annulled the economic survival-of-the-fittest principle of the free market.

Although i am a free market advocate I believe that vital utilities, health care systems, mass transportation systems and education have no place in becoming sources of private profit.

Edited by Zagros - 03-Jul-2008 at 18:21
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 19:28
Hi, Zagros,

Yes, my kind of economist is practical and honest and can see what is really going on. He is not a fundamentalist of any kind. Unfortunately most economist now have market religion and won't change their mind even when the evidence is clearly telling them that it doesn't work.

I do want to stress that I have no problem with competitive markets. Competitive markets have a role as a way of solving different kinds of problems. And a well regulated competitive market can actually do a lot of good. In the U.S., the regulated competition in the communication and air travel sectors brought cheaper prices to consumers, although we may have to wait and see how it plays out.

But let me stress that: well regulated competitive markets. Just as "Real Communism" has little in common with the picture that Marxists paint, "Real Free Market" doesn't match with what is taught. (Bey, this is your queue to enter into the discussion )

Real-life free markets often mean that there is little regulation and that business gets to make the rules by which they will act. And if I get to make the rules, I will make them in such a way that they will always benefit me.

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by hugoestr

Good question. I have one myself. If the US economy is tanking, then why is it still growing?

Hi, there,

This is a history forum, so let's remember what the economic conditions were right before the crash of 1929. Eerily similar.

Hello Hugoestr,

Part of our probelm in this country & others, is that for the past 40 years, those who should've known better from history have been screaming wolf about: "Whatever the fearful topic of the day is". And damn it all... we are still here and things didn't turn out anywhere near as bad as what was predicted! What happens if nothing does happen this time? Then you can add just a couple more dooms-day skeptics to the list (Which is just one reason why i sympathetically understand, though disagree with the Iraq war dissenters)! Once bitten, twice shy & i don't just mean economically either. Am i wrong?

Believe me, i want too believe what i hear or read, but after decades of surviving doomsday, or whatever.... you really can't blame those of us today, who are wondering why we are still here and everything is still working, if everything was supposed to have gone to pot yesterday!

Sure, we have domestic & foreign problems, but i don't think anyone on this planet can point to just one that stands out from the rest as the more dire.

Edited by Panther - 03-Jul-2008 at 23:02
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2008 at 23:44
As a securities broker and consultant, I have many, many clients who are a hell of a lot better off now than they were 10 years ago.  Not all...some of them won't listen to the advice they pay for.

However, if there is a financial crisis here, it appears to be manifested in people taking two vacation trips a year instead of three.  Obviously everyone is not in the same boat, but even the participants in pension plans (the trustees of which are also a number of my clients), who are hardly entrepreneurs, are mostly better off.

The discussion tends toward views of political economy instead of what is really going on.  Economic dynamics that lead to job loss and individual distress are not new.  The individual has to do what he must to take care of himself.  There are never any guarantees. 

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 04-Jul-2008 at 00:51
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 00:02

The discussion tends toward views of political economy instead of what is really going on.

I think it is a pitiful state of affairs, when after reading many thoughts (Not in this forum), including those who haven't made up their minds about voting for Mr. Obama, that there seems to me... to be a general agreement amongst them, that if he is elected come november,  the way the economic news is reported & presented will automatically turn around to the positive, as if by magic!

Edited by Panther - 04-Jul-2008 at 00:03
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 06:08
Leo: Most of what you say about the Aus economy I agree with, but don't think there is anything special in our situation. Skills shortages have nothing to do with the mining buisness. Everything from Pharmacy to Plumbing to Engineering has shortages, and there aren't that many people going to work on mines. I think it is really caused by a lack of manpower, combined with an aversion to hard work in popular culture. School leavers just aren't moving into these fields, and the existing workers are ageing quickly. Honestly I have no idea what everyone does in this country. On top of that if we actually wanted to solve the problem it could easily be done with better immigration and resettlement programs (like fast tracking skills recognition for migrants)

If people with huge amounts of personal debt go bankrupt, honestly, I'm cheering. The biggest problem I think is overpricing, and that should solve that.
This may be exactly the same in the US, I don't know. But if the only people suffering from the economic downturn are those who have borrowed ridiculous amounts, inflated prices, and made commodities (eg Houses) unaffordable for those of us who don't like being in debt I'm looking forward to it.

the way the economic news is reported & presented will automatically turn around to the positive, as if by magic!

Highly likely. If he pulls out of the Iraq war too then the biggest drain on the US economy will disappear too. (Billions of $ to spend on fixing your economy & infrastructure)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>