Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome ancient sculpture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sownarkom View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some ancient sculpture
    Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 21:16
I have found an interesting ancient sculpture in one of my books recently. Unfortunately, it was not described too well - and here my questions come:

1. Who it represents?
2. What's this hat/helmet thing called.

Thanks in advance

Edited by sownarkom - 06-Jun-2008 at 21:17
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 22:24
1.)
ah. That would probably be Pyrrhus of Epirus (318-272 BC) - the famous Diadochi (a group of generals known as the "sucessors" who carved up Alexander's empire after he died - c.332 - 31 BC) Epirot and Mollosian prince who attempted to invade Rome c.281-276 BC. He was an incredible general, who exposed Rome for the first time to Elephants and gave the new legions which had been formed in 390 BC from the old hoplite ones after the Gallic invasion a "test" against the dynamic Hellenistic forces. He brought Elephants with him to Italy, after being called for help by the Greek city-state of Laurentium because of Rome's expansion of territory. Pyrrhus was an amazing tactician and brilliant soldier - there was just one problem; at great cost, and it is from his victories that the term "Pyrrhic victory" was coined. Indeed, Pyrrhus himself stated "If I win another victory, I shall lose this war". For example, some sources state that at the battle of Heraclea in 280 BC, Pyrrhus himself lost around 3'000 troops, but to the Roman's loss of around 7-8'000. This was a startling victory, but not appropriate for a campaign that was both costly and dangerous. After Republican commanders such as Consul Publius Laevinius began to push Pyrrhus out of Italy back over the Adriatic, he packed up and decided that it wasn't worth the risk. As he left he said a very interesting statement that speaks of incredible foresight - "As I leave I leave a new battlefield for two powers" [Rome and Carthage]. He could see the power play that was being acted out between Rome and Carthage - the power play that would create three devasting wars and Rome's eventual conquest (admittedly via proxy) of the east. Anyway, simply, he was one of the greatest military figures of his day, and exposed Rome to the harsh realities that the imperialistic Hellenistic states were not only interested in the east and Greece.

2.)
That appears to be a Chalcidian Helmet - when the Macedonian Phalanx was perfected under Philip II and later his son, Alexander III "The great", it was armed by the state and maintained and trained by it as well, creating a powerful force of warriors which smashed the Greeks at Cheronea in 332 BC. Basically, since this was the case, helmets and armour could not longer be more ornate because they were paid for at the states' expense, and the powerful phalanx was protected at it's phalanx by "hypophants", which meant that heavy armour for those inside was not needed. After generations of Diadochi armies being based around the Phalanx, the "chalcidian" helmet that the Phalangite wore began to take on a perhaps even cultural significance, and was worn by commanders (as you can see), probably to remind them of their origins (or in the case of people of Pyrrhus' era, their parents') of fighting with Alexander and his phalanx. The diadochi were obsessed as a rule of thumb with their association with Alexander the great. The wreath around the helmet is an old hellenic symbol associated with victory, and it could be made of many things - parsely, celery, olive leaf, etc, to symbolise the victory of the athelete (originally at least) in question. However, the gods apparently wore Olive leaf wreaths, and so did Diadochi and Roman Pro-consuls, Consuls, Emperors and the praetor urbanus (essentially mayor of Rome)

I hope that answers your question - sorry about the rant.

/Aster
 Post Reply Post Reply