Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A question about Avators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A question about Avators
    Posted: 21-May-2008 at 04:23
I know there is an AE rule which doesn't allow us to have some special symbols or images which may be offensive toward some people.

Here is my question: What can we do about symbols that are holy for some people and offensive for others?

For example Swastika is an old Indo-European symbol for good luck or even a holy symbol for Hinduism and Buddhism, but this symbol is offensive for Jewish people and those who had suffered from Nazism and its criminal acts.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 05:11
While the issue would certainly be up for debate, I would personally recommend avoiding using the symbol simply to avoid the problems that would come with it.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 08:09
A members avatar is a part of his/her post, and subsequently the question is already answered in The Code of Conduct B. 5

B. Inappropriate posting 

5. Rude insults, defamatory remarks, offensive images, cursing, profanity intended as an insult towards another member, personal attacks, words of hate. Any remarks that stirs up anger. In dealing with flame wars, comments that started the flame war will have more weight in terms of violation.

~ Northman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 08:16

Suren you are an ex-mod, you should not be asking this!

We try to go onto context. The Falun Gong insignia would be ok if it is intended to be that. If it is a thinly disguised attempt to make an anti-semtic/pro-nazi statement, then it would be inappropriate.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 18:14
Originally posted by Northman

A members avatar is a part of his/her post, and subsequently the question is already answered in The Code of Conduct B. 5

B. Inappropriate posting 

5. Rude insults, defamatory remarks, offensive images, cursing, profanity intended as an insult towards another member, personal attacks, words of hate. Any remarks that stirs up anger. In dealing with flame wars, comments that started the flame war will have more weight in terms of violation.

~ Northman

Thanx Northman

I was aware of that code. What I was trying to discuss about was about situation like this case. The symbol is a Good Luck charm and has a long history why should we avoid it because of some retard Nazi who misused this symbol.

Edited by Suren - 19-Jun-2008 at 00:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 10:19
yes your thoughts are right. every people differs in their believe 
Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2008 at 14:08
mine is offensiveErmm
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 00:26
i just noticed that new users have the historical avatars like Ivan IV, i looked at what i can choose from and i can only choose from the standard avatars, but not the historical ones. or am i too dumb to find them?Geek
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 05:37
Because of the changes over the years to the forum (those animated flags were awesome I just have to say) I believe the historical avatars were removed, (I think it was like a year ago?) you'd have to upload one from the internet I would think. 

I checked my profile options and besides my current one I didn't have any historical ones available either.  (not that I'm looking to change, had the same one since day 1)Wink

Edited by Justinian - 23-Aug-2008 at 05:38
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 11:17
Well you couldn't have chosen a better character Big%20smile
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2008 at 22:33
Originally posted by Knights

Well you couldn't have chosen a better character Big%20smile
Well said.Big%20smile
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 19:07
Originally posted by Justinian

Because of the changes over the years to the forum (those animated flags were awesome I just have to say) I believe the historical avatars were removed, (I think it was like a year ago?) you'd have to upload one from the internet I would think. 

I checked my profile options and besides my current one I didn't have any historical ones available either.  (not that I'm looking to change, had the same one since day 1)Wink

yeah but i saw newly registered users with them, thats why i'm so surprised.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 08:44
I have added a small selection of historic avatars, and might add more later.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 18:15
thanks. btw it seems there is a graphic issue with the Qin Shi Huangdi avatar.
 Post Reply Post Reply