Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Almost there...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost there...
    Posted: 17-May-2008 at 01:05
My last academic report is to be handed in on Wednesday 21st of May.
My dissertation viva is on the 27th and then... I am free!

I have landed an exciting (and paid) corporate research project with an eminent UK knowledge management academic which may result (if the research proves ground breaking, which it may do on the basis of its uniqueness, if nothing else) in my co-authoring a published academic paper with that same academic.

Approve

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 02:58
Go Zagros! Cool
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 00:03
That's outstanding, having something of yours published in the recognised academic world is such a nice ego trip. Well done.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 00:22
Cheers, won't look bad on the CV either.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 11:13
Yay!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 11:38

And then.............................. gulp........................ a job.

Poor you.

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 12:01
What's it about?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 14:11
Your'e close to being free Zagros. Only a few days left. Soon we can welcome you to the real world.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 16:26
Cheers Zaggy - don't celebrate too modest Cheers
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 16:40
Originally posted by Zagros

My last academic report is to be handed in on Wednesday 21st of May.
My dissertation viva is on the 27th and then... I am free!

I have landed an exciting (and paid) corporate research project with an eminent UK knowledge management academic which may result (if the research proves ground breaking, which it may do on the basis of its uniqueness, if nothing else) in my co-authoring a published academic paper with that same academic.

Approve

Congrats Zaggy! Sounds like your academic career is off to a shining start -- and with something being published, no less! Clap Hang in there; the repetitive trial of hoops and bureacracy is almost over, and then you can get down to business. Smile

-Akolouthos
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 18:52
Ughhh, academia?  I don't think so.

The celebrations start in earnest on the 28th and will continue through until June 7th.

The point of the project is to research the negative aspects of corporate social networking, primarily on MS Sharepoint. 
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 14:01
Congrats!

Second, what are the negative aspect of corporate social networking and MS sharepoint?

I also have a nice story on corporate social networking gone bad that happened in the CIA
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:16
Hmm... well that's what we will find out and investigate!  I feel I shouldn't say too much more at the moment...

But any existing literature off the top of your head would be welcomed!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 00:40
I found out yesterday that I will likely be speaking at a conference in Berlin in front of CEOs, CIOs MDs of global corps from North America and Europe (!!!) and an assortment of academics should the research go as planned.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 15:17
Sounds like quite a rush!  Business-wise, the contacts you might make in conversation, or at any social gatherings could develop into opportunities for you.

Research the best "corporate appearance," (fitting in is important).

Have calling cards if you don't already.....that dosesn't cost much.

Good luck.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 20:09
Thank you and you're quite right - I was meeting and talking to people from government, industry, NGOs and journalists on Tuesday. Wednesday before I got the train back up the road (or rail), I went for a quick drink at the pub with two people from the project sponsors (and London and Berlin event organisers, inclusive of the Managing Director) and my academic mentor... soon I was propositioned with first attending the Berlin conference, then presenting the findings of the project, then blogging the events as they happened for the conference and finally coming up with a system for allowing delegates to network before, during and after the conference...  what a change from the doom and gloom 6 months before graduation!

As for calling cards: good idea, though our names are on the delegate list and also will be available electronically, it will help make a lasting impression. 
 Post Reply Post Reply