Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Djinn names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Djinn names
    Posted: 11-May-2008 at 21:03
The only Known Djinn by name is Iblis aka the Devil in Islam

I have 2 questions

I read about djinns in wikipedia how much of this is correct?

Djinns

could someone give me detailed information about the djinns and different classes

my second question is. Iblis is he a Shaitan or a Ifrit? Because Wiki says ifrit

any help would be great

thank you
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 07:02
guess nobody has knowledge about this matter :(
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 07:28
Djinn is a pre-islamic concept. The other concepts you read are also coming from pre-islamic middle-east semitic mythologies. Mesopotamian beliefs. But in a highly orientalist view.

Djinn is very close to the mythological creatures we call "Demon" today. Which are basically spiritual or ex-celestial or hellish evil beings. Which are called Daevas for Persian mythology for example.

Mostly the three great Abrahamic religions use this concept to refer to the gods of the pagan eras. This is no exception for Islam.

There are three goddeses mentioned in Quran as evil beings. Those are namely al-Lât, al-Uzzâ and al-Menât. Teologists believe that these goddesses were mainly worshispped in Palmyra before Mecca. al-Uzza is somewhat equivalent of Aphrodite. al-Lat is a famous one.

But as far as I know there are no djinn names in Quran.

Also the Djinn or genie are not limited to Quran, for example you may find many authentic names in 1001 Arabian nights. Udar is one I can remember.

as to the word Iblis and Shaitan:

Shaitan in Islam is the very equivalent of "Satan". Not a class or type of demon.
Iblis is another name for Satan but sometimes used as "demon" too.

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by Efraz - 15-May-2008 at 07:38
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 07:48
1. Djin or jen in Persian stories are demon creatures who lives outside of cities in darksides. We don't consider them as eblis.

2. I believe Iblis is another name for Satan.

Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2008 at 11:08
Originally posted by Suren

1. Djin or jen in Persian stories are demon creatures who lives outside of cities in darksides. We don't consider them as eblis.

Very interesting. The jen belief is nearly same in all muslim countries. In Turkey, namely western Anatolia many believe jen lives dark places around the cities. Sometimes they hold people. The held ones go through a nightmarish experience untill the hold is taken off them. This is done by certain prayers by Sheikhs. Jens have their own padishahs. I have heard such stories from a Lebanese friend too.

Also some people believe jen are only harmed by human urine. :)
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 17:40

I was told, Djins live in an alternate existance on Earth with us, they live in a different dimension, were made from Earth, they're made from fire, they have socities and families as well. Sometimes there are points where the dimensions cross-over and we see each other, the shock of which can have unpredictable consequences.

I think many socities have concepts of Djins.
From various encounters with Turkic peoples, there is a notion of good and bad djins, spiritual men like Hodjas can help people who have come into contact or crossed over into their world. Alot of peoples are quite supersticious, believing in evil eye, bad spirits, djins. They have some customs like pouring hot lead into water over somebodies head, wearing certain metals, not spitting or urinating on earth when its dark without some prayer, not going near places deemed to be crossing points at night.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 17:58
Much of what I know of the djinn comes from Azimuth, he seems to be the authority on that subject.  Supposedly they were created first and inhabited earth before man.  According to Azimuth they are energy, and live much like we do.  They eat, drink and have families.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 18:09
Azimuth? He? Is there a person named Azimuth?
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 19:41
hmmm come to think of it i haven't seen Azimuth for a while

not that I have been on for a while myself :p
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 19:47
Ah, I see Sleepy
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 20:45
There's a djinn called sores who interacts with the world of man on occasion; he doesn't consider himself good or evil but does whatever derives pleasure for him.  Contrary to most other djinn, he actually exists within city walls.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 04:00
If you want to find more info about these things, you should search about Indo-European beliefs not Semitic/Islam, for example Persian Jen (Djinn) and Greek Diabolis (Iblis).
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 11:34
hmm thank you Smile
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 14:27

Originally posted by xi_tujue

The only Known Djinn by name is Iblis aka the Devil in Islam

I have 2 questions

I read about djinns in wikipedia how much of this is correct?

Djinns

could someone give me detailed information about the djinns and different classes

about wikipedia ,i didnt read it all specially about the name orgin, but regarding the rest i would say its accurate.

we had a discussion about Jinns in this topic http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=11640&KW=djin

Originally posted by xi_tujue

]my second question is. Iblis is he a Shaitan or a Ifrit? Because Wiki says ifrit

any help would be great

thank you

wikipedia says "Iblis used this freedom in front of Allah by refusing to bow to Adam when Allah told Iblis to do so. By refusing to obey Allah order he was thrown out of the Paradise and called “Shaitan” (See Shaitan and Satan)."

and i think Shaitan is one of his names or you can say discribtions, humans who act like Iblis.

while Ifrit, marid and other names are just Djinns with different power and strength.

Post Reply Post Reply