Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"CHINA'S 'SMILING ANGEL IN WHEELCHAIR' Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "CHINA'S 'SMILING ANGEL IN WHEELCHAIR' Olympics
    Posted: 13-Apr-2008 at 06:16
Originally posted by Killabee

Originally posted by Roberts

The same who are Pro-Tibetan also opposed US invasion in Iraq. There were big protests in London and Paris. Don't you remember?

They don't overlap with each other. For example, US congressmen Tom Lantos , Hillary Clinton, John Mccain , German Chancellor Angela Merkel  supported the invasion of Iraq . Lantos was a well known supporter of Free Tibet movement before his death. Merkel, Mccain ,Hillary called for boycott of Chinese Olympic game.

Must correct you, at the beginning of the invasion of the Iraq Gerhard Schrder was the german chancellor, and he and his government didn't took  part at this act of breach of international law.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2008 at 19:20

The attack on the disabled girl is very sick to watch. Same goes for the innocent Han and Hui Chinese shop owners in Tibet. But many still claim those are just "peaceful protest".

who ever said disabled people cannot be Nazis just because they are disabled? what about dr. Lovestrange? Tongue if you're familiar with recent German politicians, you'll know MR. Schuble whose dream it is to create the perfect police state that makes the Stasi look like good neighbours. i wouldn't mind him.... but i'll stop now or maybe i'll suddenly dissapear into oblivion... Shocked
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 07:36
Originally posted by Temujin

who ever said disabled people cannot be Nazis just because they are disabled?
No one, in this thread, until *you* brought it up.

Do you have any reason to think that Jin Jing, the subject of this thread, is a Nazi, or otherwise deserves to be assaulted the way she was?
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 08:08
Well Said, snowybeagle. Is there any reason why you, Temujin (I was surprised the mass murderer name is used in here. Perhaps names Adolf Hitler or Hideki Tojo should be allowed too)  liken Jin Jing to Nazi? Is it just because she is a ill-fated Chinese and she represents the evil regime, that's why you, Temujin, think she must be behind the brutal crackdown of Tibetan, deserve to be paid back by those peaceful Tibetan?
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 08:13
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Originally posted by Roberts

The same who are Pro-Tibetan also opposed US invasion in Iraq. There were big protests in London and Paris. Don't you remember?

They don't overlap with each other. For example, US congressmen Tom Lantos , Hillary Clinton, John Mccain , German Chancellor Angela Merkel  supported the invasion of Iraq . Lantos was a well known supporter of Free Tibet movement before his death. Merkel, Mccain ,Hillary called for boycott of Chinese Olympic game.

Must correct you, at the beginning of the invasion of the Iraq Gerhard Schrder was the german chancellor, and he and his government didn't took  part at this act of breach of international law.

What I meant was  Merkel supported Iraqi Invasion when she was still in Bundestag. It will be too lengthy for me to put "former CDU chairman and current German Chancellor".

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 08:20
It's less lengthy to be technically specific than to go back and clarify in a later post. Semantics it may be, but those sorts of inaccuracies create misinterpretation which can drag a thread on for weeks under spurious premises for no reason. Always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to specifics.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 14:03
Can I make a simple point here? My father has worked with/around disabled people all his life, and I myself worked in a mixed ability (or any other pc name you wish to construct) workplace all last summer. I cannot, judging by my own experience, see why there has been such an uproar surrounding this particular part of the torch relay. Jin Jing, I trust does not wake up every morning feeling like a victim, or preparing herself to be treated like one. So what people, she is in a wheelchair and she was confronted by an individual who tried to take the torch off her. She resisted, like anyone else would, only to return home to cheers of 'HOW BRAVE' and 'POOR GIRL'. At the deepest level, whether meant it or not, such sentiments serve to patronise disabled people, and refuse them the right to be treated like normal citizens.

There is a film, whos name unfortunately escapes me, where a man in a wheelchair is in a bar. He is drunk and abusive to everyone, and picks a fight with one man, continually insulting him and telling him to hit him. To paraphrase, 'hit me like you would hit anyone else. I'm being an arsehole...' He eventually gets a punch and is kicked out of the pub, but he is happier, because he wasn't getting sympathy he didn't deserve. The point was that he wasn't actualy an arsehole, he just didn't want to be treated like a victim. Same principle here, different situation.

Should Jin Jing have been given such attention had she not been disabled? The answer to that question highlights to whos means this sudden hero status is serving, and it is not Jin Jing's. Basically she is now a propoganda tool for the Chinese Government against Tibet, and is a rallying call for unity amongst the Chinese people. But that aside, take the wheelchair and all that it stands for in people's perceptions away, and you have a woman, not a creature to be pitied and patronised. She was no braver than anyone else would be, and in my view, the protester, while still wrong, was no more wrong than any of the others throughout the relay.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 14:40
Very eloquent, Dolphin. Nice post.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 14:43
Originally posted by Seko

Where are our peace loving activitsts on this forum? C'mon guys you stood up against those pesky muslims over cartoons. Why don't you speak up against those pesky mobsters who attacked the handicapped Chinese girl over the olympic torch! You're not being selective are you? That is so ignoble. Freedom of carrying the torch needs you. Shocked

Most of us completely reject actions like these; targetting the physically weak for a political point. Besides, you'll find most of the people who do sympathise with the protests (like me) are armchair supporters (IE, you're not likely to see me, like, actually protesting)
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 14:44
I think you are thinking of 'Inside I'm Dancing' Dolphin. Who knew aquatic mammals could speak so well?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 19:33
Originally posted by snowybeagle

No one, in this thread, until *you* brought it up.

Do you have any reason to think that Jin Jing, the subject of this thread, is a Nazi, or otherwise deserves to be assaulted the way she was?

Dolphin pretty much sumed it up for me: disabled people = normal people. that means no special treatment whatsoever. she obviously only served as a tearjerker to make the Tibet protesters look evil. i'm congratulating them for treating her no different than a non-disabled athlete! Clap

Well Said, snowybeagle. Is there any reason why you, Temujin (I was surprised the mass murderer name is used in here. Perhaps names Adolf Hitler or Hideki Tojo should be allowed too)  liken Jin Jing to Nazi? Is it just because she is a ill-fated Chinese and she represents the evil regime, that's why you, Temujin, think she must be behind the brutal crackdown of Tibetan, deserve to be paid back by those peaceful Tibetan?

of course killerbee is a peacefull harmonious username... other than Temujin, i also like Temr (tamerlane) who was incidentally disabled himself! Wink BTW Temujin was no mass-murder, unless you want to get into a discussion about chairman Mao here...Tongue

Edited by Temujin - 15-Apr-2008 at 19:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 20:33
Originally posted by Dolphin

Can I make a simple point here? My father has worked with/around disabled people all his life, and I myself worked in a mixed ability (or any other pc name you wish to construct) workplace all last summer. I cannot, judging by my own experience, see why there has been such an uproar surrounding this particular part of the torch relay. Jin Jing, I trust does not wake up every morning feeling like a victim, or preparing herself to be treated like one. So what people, she is in a wheelchair and she was confronted by an individual who tried to take the torch off her. She resisted, like anyone else would, only to return home to cheers of 'HOW BRAVE' and 'POOR GIRL'. At the deepest level, whether meant it or not, such sentiments serve to patronise disabled people, and refuse them the right to be treated like normal citizens.

There is a film, whos name unfortunately escapes me, where a man in a wheelchair is in a bar. He is drunk and abusive to everyone, and picks a fight with one man, continually insulting him and telling him to hit him. To paraphrase, 'hit me like you would hit anyone else. I'm being an arsehole...' He eventually gets a punch and is kicked out of the pub, but he is happier, because he wasn't getting sympathy he didn't deserve. The point was that he wasn't actualy an arsehole, he just didn't want to be treated like a victim. Same principle here, different situation.

Should Jin Jing have been given such attention had she not been disabled? The answer to that question highlights to whos means this sudden hero status is serving, and it is not Jin Jing's. Basically she is now a propoganda tool for the Chinese Government against Tibet, and is a rallying call for unity amongst the Chinese people. But that aside, take the wheelchair and all that it stands for in people's perceptions away, and you have a woman, not a creature to be pitied and patronised. She was no braver than anyone else would be, and in my view, the protester, while still wrong, was no more wrong than any of the others throughout the relay.

If it had been a strapping wrestler then I doubt that there would have been so much of an uproar, or even an assualt. The example you gave is completely irrelevant,  an invalid being obnoxious is just as bad as a healthy person being obnoxious, the point is that this was a physical attack on a handicapped woman by a unhandicapped man, which is what makes it cowardly and despicable.

All in all, its ok to attack wheelchair bound people without any provocation if they are Chinese? Interesting idea.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 21:37
You miss the point my friend. What difference does it make that she is Chinese? It is not ok to attack a wheelchair bound person, just as it is not ok to attack a non-wheelchair bound person. The problem lies in differenciating between the two people, as if they were different breeds. I have confidence that I have quite developed and mature attitudes towards disabled people, and to make a distinction between the two is to manufacture a gap of human ability and mindset that is not there. Just my opinion. I'll elaborate in the morning.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 23:49

Dolphin pretty much sumed it up for me: disabled people = normal people. that means no special treatment whatsoever. she obviously only served as a tearjerker to make the Tibet protesters look evil. i'm congratulating them for treating her no different than a non-disabled athlete! Clap
Like it or not , disabled people do get preferential treatment. That's why we have parking lot designated for handicapped people and we will give them seat whenever we are in crammed public transportation. That's called civility and manner . While mentally they are as normal as us, but physically there are certain things that they are incapable of doing like defending themselves against attacker. Attacking a disabled person is no different than attacking a toddler or an aged person, even worse is attacking on disabled women by an able-bodied  man for something she is not related to. At least this is most of the countries agree on but I don't know about the country you are living in.

And the other thing she is not served as tearjerker. She participated in the Olympic torchbearing as she herself is an athlete and a member of Chinese Olympic(Paralympic) team. She was selected to be torchbearer long before the Tibetan protest. The other thing is you failed to answer is what warrant her and other athletes to be attacked by protesters? What she the one who fired the bullet into the Tibetan? Was she the one who was put in charge the crackdown of Tibetan Riot?

of course killerbee is a peacefull harmonious username... other than Temujin, i also like Temr (tamerlane) who was incidentally disabled himself! Wink BTW Temujin was no mass-murder, unless you want to get into a discussion about chairman Mao here...Tongue

Killabee is one species of bee, buffoon. Tell me how you can compare Temujin to Mao when
people died under Mao's regime were mostly his fellow Han Chinese caused by his ill-fated The Great Leap Forward policy and Cultural Revolution while the people that Temujin slaughtered were the victims of his military aggression. If Adolf Hilter lived more than 800 years ago, perhaps many of us will be revering him as national pride.LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 05:34
Eh Killabee, the "buffoon",comment was out of line.

Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 07:38
Originally posted by Dolphin

Should Jin Jing have been given such attention had she not been disabled?
Unfortunately, for some people, it took the sight of a disabled woman being assaulted to "wake them up" ... that perhaps they shouldn't have been assaulting any torch bearers in the first place!

That is unfortunately, just human nature.
People do mean things without a thought, expecting the others to be able to take it and lump it.

Did the anti-globalisation protestors ever worry their riots might endanger lives of others?

Many humans are callous to the point that they won't blink an eye at the sight of an abled man hurt in the process of their callousness.

It is both a regret and a consolation that only the sight of a disabled hurt would give them pause.  A regret because that's what it took, a consolation because at least something did.
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 07:42

Disabled or not, what has she done to deserve being assaulted?

Are you, an AE moderator, advocating that Torch Bearers for the 2008 Olympics be assaulted?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 09:00
Well, i can reply to you diplomatically, it was not the girl they attacked, but the torch that happened to be in her hand. You see, if they saw her in the street, without any torch, they would not attack her.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 09:19
Originally posted by Spartakus

Well, i can reply to you diplomatically, it was not the girl they attacked, but the torch that happened to be in her hand. You see, if they saw her in the street, without any torch, they would not attack her.
Ah, of course I see your point completely ... in both the ironic and non-ironic ways ...

Like the people who died during the 911 incident were not attacked by the hijackers commandeering the 2 planes crashing into the WTC towers ...

It was not the people the hijackers attacked, but the buildings that the people happened to be in (the buildings representing some symbols which they happen to object to).

We do see, that if these hijackers see these people in the street, not in the WTC building, the hijackers would not have attacked them ...

Should we continue to apply the same logic to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki ...?  Or Agent Orange in Vietnam?
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 09:22
Your examples are way too extreme to compare to an attack to a torch. Also, they are incorrect. You see, 9/11 hijackers precisely attacked the people as well as the building. Hiroshima and Nagasaki had as their precise target the Japanese civil population.

Edited by Spartakus - 16-Apr-2008 at 09:22
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>