Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

longest military occupation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
malizai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote malizai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: longest military occupation
    Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 20:02

Originally posted by kotumeyil

Ottoman occupation in Balkans lasted about 500 years...

i will second that, the occupied never accepted their overlords. when a people accept their occupiers then the occupation ends.

I think there have been instances where a peolpe have invited others to occupy their land to free themselves from tyranical rule. (sorry, dont have references, can't remember too well. maybe someone else can. I think the people were syrians 

To understand the chase, you must learn to run with the rabbit and hunt with the hound.
cg rommel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote cg rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:21
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Originally posted by kotumeyil

Ottoman occupation in Balkans lasted about 500 years...

The term "occupation" is inapropriate here.

How is it inapropriate?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:25

isnt occupation a militaristic term?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:46
Originally posted by Mortaza

isnt occupation a militaristic term?

Basically. By occupation I think most people mean to have a military presence in an area through which the military's government exercises power and influence.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 06:02
I  think If this militaristic power built political and economical institutions(like collecting tax), It should no more be called as occupation.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 06:07
I think an occupation is an occupation whichever way you look at it. Rome did great things for the development of Western Europe, but that doesn't change the fact that her presence there was an occupation. I think the thing we have to decide is whether it was a "good" occupation or a "bad" one .
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 06:13

If one day greeks returned  to anatolia, is this mean a new occupation? or finishing occupation of  turks? I think If we dont limit occupation with militaristic way, It  would realy turn a bad supprise.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 06:18
Originally posted by Mortaza

If one day greeks returned  to anatolia, is this mean a new occupation? or finishing occupation of  turks? I think If we dont limit occupation with militaristic way, It  would realy turn a bad supprise.

I am not quite certain about what you are saying in the second sentence so do excuse me. For the first sentence I would argue that if the vast bulk of the people of Anatolia welcomed the Greeks and Greece need not keep forces in Anatolia to suppress internal enemies, then it would not be an occupation. But if military forces are needed there to keep the area under control, then that is an occupation.

Jotari View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Jotari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2018 at 18:56

Resurrecting a monstrously old thread here, but I think the most accurate answer would be Ireland. It had a nationalistic identity before the Norman Invasion and maintained it throughout the entire 800 years of occupation (which in parts has continued to this day). Unlike most examples the lines are pretty clear cut as both the invader and the invaded were (or are) islands. It was never seen as a mere extension of Britain and the Irish people were always culturally considered a separate people. Granted, it wasn't a united land when the Normans first invaded, but it had been a united land not long before that and the people were considered part of the same cultural heritage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12