Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why didn't ancient persia ever conquer india?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why didn't ancient persia ever conquer india?
    Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 01:30

why did the persians never conquer ancient India? I mean they were able to conquer Greece then why not India. Was India really powerfull or the reason is something else?

Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 02:31

Good question, what all was going on in Hindustan at the time?

Sandragupta conquered modern Bharat(India) in 300s or 280s BC. So before that India was pieces of enemy kingdoms from the times of the Mahabharat to Sandragupta.

I have read the Hackhamanids had Gujrat, but even Gujrat broke away from them after rebelling. And later all of Pakistan and Half of South Afghanistan was under the reign of Maghada and Buddhist proliferation spread.

Mughal e Azam
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 03:30
  There is not a solid reason to why Achaemenid Persia pushed their armies west, rather than east. It could come down to the order of in which events occured.
   The island of Naxos in the Agean revolted against Persian rule in 502 B.C. The Ionian Greeks revolted soon after. The Lydian satrap and the Athenians sent aid to the rebellious Greeks. When the iron fist of Persia crushed the revolt in 494 B.C, after the Persian victory at Lade. The rebels then paid their homage to the Great King, Darius of Persia. The Athenians however, were left in relative terms, untouched. Thus leading to the invasion of mainland Greece. The first invasion was stopped in its tracks at the Battle of Marathon, despite opening way to Athens itself, (The Persian objective was to burn Athens to the ground, much like the Persian city Sardis in the Ionian revolt). Xerxes' second invasion proved to be no more successful. After the second invasion the Greeks became more and more darring, attacking Persian trading vessals, and ports along the Agean Sea. India on the other hand had little or no intention to attack Persia. However, with time, and a secure northwestern border, the Great King's may have marched their armies beyond the eastern frontier.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 21-Feb-2008 at 03:33
What is the officer problem?
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 03:48
I think Achaemenids had already conquered a lot of lands and maintaining such a vast terittory for a long term shows a significant power. They had rebellions inside their country and were busy about them. Two of the main reasons of downfall of Persians were their vast empire and civil wars. This shows why they did not try to conquer more lands. Invasion of Greece was a punishment for their help in Ionian revolt and destruction of Sardis, not a conquest.
Anfører
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 04:12
Which is what I stated above.

What is the officer problem?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 05:27

They had the Punjab, the richest part of S Asia. WHat was the point of going further?

bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2008 at 06:14
             Well Persia cannot just will and conquer everything you know.

Persia didn't conquered India did  for the same reason that they ddin't conquer China. When they got their act togehter both of them were far powerful than Persia in every matter economic, human resource wise, militiarily everything.

Perisa knew what it was getting into and never really pursued the east front that much.  

Punjab shook off the Peria rule very very quickly, reminding Persia what it was dealing with.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2008 at 12:29
precedence and proximity.
Precedence: Warring and conquest already existed between states to the west.
Proximity: Persia was sitting on the other side of the world, as part of Mesopotamia.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2008 at 18:15
Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

Persia didn't conquered India did  for the same reason that they ddin't conquer China. When they got their act togehter both of them were far powerful than Persia in every matter economic, human resource wise, militiarily everything.

Perisa knew what it was getting into and never really pursued the east front that much.  

Punjab shook off the Peria rule very very quickly, reminding Persia what it was dealing with.

Are these your own deductions?  You were there? Wow.

I think Sparten pretty much nailed it.
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 04:55
Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

Are these your own deductions?  You were there? Wow.

I think Sparten pretty much nailed it.
        No  i wasn't, but i read about that  period a lot. Do you dispute the fact that that region had a significant section of the world's population at that time. That it was the richest region in the world, that they were able to raise armies which were the best of their times in terms of organization, strategy, technology (elephants), the valour of their solidery (read about the what the vanqusihed forces of the region of the times used to do) as well as just the sheer numbers they could host in battle.

And Persia's domination of the Punjab lasted for a very brief time, almost as brief as their occupation of Greece.

If Persia could go as far east as Egypt surely given the riches of this region they must have wanted to go east as well, but didn't for certain reasons. 

ruffian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ruffian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 08:38
Originally posted by Sparten

They had the Punjab, the richest part of S Asia. WHat was the point of going further?

Pure speculation on the part of sparten. Read this.

"Alexander the great" by Wally Badge which is a Syriac edition, with English translation, of the folk-lore and legends connected to Alexander the Great. This ancient text represents a Greek text that is much older than any text that has been known before. This text shows that alexander was actually defeated (though perhaps a later layering of the text confuses the issue).

a) Darius's call to help from Porus

b) Porus's letter to Alexander and the reply and the ensuing fight

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 10:39
Read the topic further, this is about the Persians, not old Alex.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 13:19
I think Alexander had a different rationale for his conquests than the Persian empire - he was simply concerned with size at any cost from what I know, for example perilously forcing his entire army over a long stretch of desert just to get to the subcontinent.  In contrast the Persians were more concerned with cost-benefit and how much they could leverage from any peripheral region based on the cost.  Obviously having to administer an area so far from the seat of power would have tremendous human and capital costs and would be susceptible to rebellion.  

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 18:06
             The subcontinent was much less farther than Greece form Persia , and was vastly more richer. Persia wanted an Empire which meant as much territory as they could get, whatever that territory that may be.   
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 18:18
I meant the gravity of power which is not necessarily related to physical distance - the Persians were well established in the Middle East and Asia Minor and used familiar forms of governing and administration - I think deep India was culturally on a different plain, if you get my meaning.

Of course, I am just pondering here.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 18:46
Not really, the Persians in what is now Pakistan had far greater influence esp w of the Indus. The decision to stop at the Beas was based upon the fact that they had reached pretty much the natural boundry. Most people from the west did that, the Afghans and Mongols and Turks.
seko12 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote seko12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 19:29
I think the other reason was the east of Indus the territory was mostly unknown and a lot more jungles existed there. It would have been difficult for the persians in that enviroment and thats why maybe even the greeks didn't go further.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 20:56

for example perilously forcing his entire army over a long stretch of desert just to get to the subcontinent. 

no actually he did that to get back to Fars, he reached the Indus via the mountains.
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 09:17

I meant the gravity of power which is not necessarily related to physical distance - the Persians were well established in the Middle East and Asia Minor and used familiar forms of governing and administration - I think deep India was culturally on a different plain, if you get my meaning.

Of course, I am just pondering here.

I tend to agree with you. Perisans just like the Elamites before them had much more contacts with people to their west than to their east.
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2008 at 09:31
Originally posted by Sparten

Not really, the Persians in what is now Pakistan had far greater influence esp w of the Indus. The decision to stop at the Beas was based upon the fact that they had reached pretty much the natural boundry. Most people from the west did that, the Afghans and Mongols and Turks.

I don't tend to agree with that. Apart from the Achaemnids Persia borders never went inside into what is now Pakistan and apart from a few invaders like Nadir Khan Pakistan didn't saw much Persian attempts at expansionism.

The Perisianiazation of the west of Indus was indirect rather than direct. Many groups of people who were heavily Persianized like the Turks, Mughals, Afghans, Balochis (their movement into Baluchistan was not pan Iranian exopansionism) and not Persia itself brought Persian influence there.

But we are talking about a time when Persia had just came into being and in 300 B.C Afghanistan was a lot more under the subcontinental sphere of influence than it was Persian as a few centuries later under the Khushanis it would be a hub of Shiva worship and then later it would be largely Bhuddist.

When the Parsis moved east in about 700 A.D to protect their religion they moved into Gujrat and not what is now Pakistan pretty much indcating that til that time beofre the Afghani, Balochi, Turk and Mughal expansion that area had little Persian influence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>