Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arab Revolt & Osmanic Collapse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arab Revolt & Osmanic Collapse
    Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 02:50
Why did the Arabs revolt against the Osmanli Sultanate?

I see it this way, the misery and languish the Arabs go through today is the direct result of the decline of the Osmanli Sultanate and the creation of Israel.

The British were not allowed by the House of Osman to "create" a new state in Philistine. The Arabs thought they could trust the British; when the British Empire brokered a deal with the French Empire and the two ruled over the Middle East for a good 2/2.5 decades.

Arab Revolt = burden on Osmanli Sulatante = Osmanli Collapse = British & French takeover = creation of Israel = Philistines kicked out of their homes and made like the Jews after the Assyrians sacked them (biggest refugees of the world) 

1) Was Osmanli rule extremely harsh? I mean to say I know it was relatively harsh; they had zero tolerance for people who had different opinions and the Osmanlis were not exactly democratic.

However I would never have sided wit the British; they are known to be liars and cheats as they were in the time of the British Raj.

Edited by Mughaal - 09-Feb-2008 at 03:12
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 02:56

"dumb" arabs is rather offensive to quite a few of our fellow forumers who certainly are no way near dumb. Please refrain from subjecting a whole people to "dumb" status. You have a quite unending track of insulting peoples for some reason or other...

===================================================================

Anyway I am not too fond of the Arab revolt against the Porte, I do not think that they should have seperated themselves from the Ottoman state.
Koichi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Koichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 03:37
The fate of the Ottoman Empire is characteristic of autocratic, corrupt, and brutal dynastic empires (which it was by the 20th century, see also China and Russia).  I think the fact that many of the Arabs sided with white Christians against their Muslim brethren sends a poignant message as to the state of the empire.

And please, don't try to pin all of the Arab world's problems on the state of Israel.  Say what you will about the Palestinians but I assure you most of the 'Arab world' doesn't give a fig what's going on there, except as a talking point.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 04:24
Yeah I know; but at the same time there was a "Khalifat Movement" in India by the Muslims under the British Raj.

Exactly how bad was Osmanli rule? Or was it the desire to be self sufficient?

Anywho, the Arab world today is no bastion of freedom. Racism, tribalism, lack of education, the list can go on.
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 05:18
Mughaal, I echo es-bihs comments, except as a mod. You have just hyad your warning recinded. Do not for a moment labour under a false illusion that that gives you a lisence to offend. For it dose not. If you continue in this vein you will get another official warning.

Now back to the topic at hand.
kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 02:39
Arabs sided with the gay pedophile Lawrence of Arabia (not name calling, it's true) because they apparently wanted their own states. They were actually fighting the Ottoman Turks since the 1860's or so.

Anyways if the Turks hadn't taken over their regions in medieval times, they might have been speaking Portuguese by now..Although I must admit Turks considered the Arab lands a sort of backwater, and they never really agreed with each other on cultural and theological issues.

It's so funny now Arabs want a Caliph, when relative recently then they were fighting for the "infidel" Lawrence! LOL

Edited by kafkas - 28-Feb-2008 at 02:42
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 07:24
The policy of the Turkish trio, Talat, Jamal and Anver. These guys disroyed the last vestiges of the Ottoman empire and started opressing other minorities after failing to defend it against the Balkan holy league. Hundreds of Arab intellectuals were executed by Jamal (called the butcher to this day) between 1915 and 1917. The revolt was coming but the fear was the support, who would support the rebels, Britain came as the noble knight wearing white robes to save Arabs and some were indeed fooled. Only to find them slice a big chunk of their lands and give it to people who do not belong there, colonize the rest of their countries with France and crush any attempt to rebel even if it meant using Chemical weapons. The only smart guy who did not seek British aid instead the British offered to aid him for free, expecting that since he was Bedouin, he would be like the other fools they supported and will feel obliged to return the favour to Britain. What happened was that the guy, King Adul-Aziz ibn Saud, was not a Bedouin, after he took their money, he supportd Iraqi Rebels in the 20s with men and Arms, refused even to grant the Brtis the rights to search for oil let alone lease them the entire eastern province as they wished and forged ties with the soviets and the Nazis and bought weapons from them as well as giving American companies, the Rockefeller Standard oil companies, rights to dig for oil.

Al-Jassas
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 15:30

I read a book recently called A Peace to End All Peace, about the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, British political acts in the middle during and after world war one, the arab revolt, and the post war state of the region. The author states though there existed many bedouin tribal leaders among those who were convinced to revolt by the British, most were actually former Ottoman officers who simply wanted greater autonomy for Arabic speaking territories of the empire, because the new nationalist government of 1908 had alienated the Arabs with their Turkish nationalism.

So whilst the Arabs get alot of criticism for attempting to create their own state by revolting or "betraying" the empire, the vast majority were simply agitating for greater autonomy under a common Ottoman identity with the Turks. Its just that those Arabs, faced with both the ineptitude of the CUP's nationalist fervor and the prospects the cunning British offered them, eventually opted for something less, that being a pan-Arab state.

I always used to frown upon Arabs for their actions in World War One; I considered them traitors, but after reading that book I realised that it was the CUP who betrayed the Arabs in the first place, and that they were merely responding to this betrayal. Besides, for Turks like me, it was a good thing the empire collapsed, otherwise I would be an illiterate peasant farming tobacco 12 hours a day in a secluded anatolian village.
Karadenizli
 Post Reply Post Reply