Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will space travel eventually bring on new emperors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will space travel eventually bring on new emperors
    Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 19:01
Well I can't wait to see what happens in 2010 and 2020 when we supposebly are supposed to return to the Moon, build a base and then go to Mars. Whats interesting is that shortly after the Chinese got into space, their has been increased talk of the U.S. building a moon base. Just think about it why would we or China want the Moon??, well it would make a great Nuclear Missile base in which you could control the world at the push of a button.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 22:33
Originally posted by pinguin

Absolutely wrong. Sun Power Satellites are absolutely workable, and beaming the energy to earth works. Calculations has been done since long ago, and NASA is working in some prototypes. The only problem that remain is how to ship and build such a huge structures in space. Laser propulsion has also been tested in small scale models. We just need 1.000 billion dollars to make them work out

Show me the maths!

The way I see it, between geostationary orbit and earth, there is about a 305 dB free space loss at 800MHz. That means if you transmit 1W you will receive 3.16 x 10^-31 W
And it gets worse for higher frequencies.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 05-Feb-2008 at 22:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 23:21
Originally posted by Decebal

...., but who would have predicted in 1908 that in 2008 we would have already gone to the moon, that an ordinary person would be able to travel around the world in less than 24 hours (3 hour tour for some astronauts), or that we would have a gigantic globe-spanning network of thinking machines based on circuits whose smallest components are only a few atoms thick? Or that we are able to make copies of complex lifeforms, and create new species to suit our needs?

Who would have predicted? Many did, and I am not talking about Jules Verne either. In fact, Tsiolkowsky draw the plans of space stations by that time, and in 1900 people have already predicted cell phones. In the novel Ralph of Hugo Gernsback of 1911, for instance, most of our world is shown in details, including global communications. The atomic bomb was predicted in that same (1914) by H.G. Wells!. There is also a tale by a writer that predicted airship tourists in the 19th century.

Predicting the future is not that hard for people that is well informed. The same can be done today.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 00:21
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Well I can't wait to see what happens in 2010 and 2020 when we supposebly are supposed to return to the Moon, build a base and then go to Mars. Whats interesting is that shortly after the Chinese got into space, their has been increased talk of the U.S. building a moon base. Just think about it why would we or China want the Moon??, well it would make a great Nuclear Missile base in which you could control the world at the push of a button.

Yes it does sound very exciting. Provided that funding is adequate, the Russians plan to send a manned mission to Mars in hopes of visiting the planet within a decade.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 00:33
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Show me the maths!

The way I see it, between geostationary orbit and earth, there is about a 305 dB free space loss at 800MHz. That means if you transmit 1W you will receive 3.16 x 10^-31 W
And it gets worse for higher frequencies.

Here it is an interesting article that talks about the technical problems of beaming power through the atmostphere:

They claim there is a microwave window at 2.46 Ghz, and that was already tested:

The atmosphere has two bandwidth width windows though which it is possible to beam power between space and the surface efficiently, and outside of which atmospheric absorption will kill you: (1) a microwave window, of which the 2.45 GHz frequency (~ 12 centimeter wavelength) employed in the 1970s DoD/NASA reference SPS design is typical, and (2) a visible window extending perhaps as far into the near infrared as a micron of so in wavelength. "

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 15:38
pinguin, to my knowledge, neither the internet nor genetic engineering were things that people predicted in 1908.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 18:11

Originally posted by Decebal

pinguin, to my knowledge, neither the internet nor genetic engineering were things that people predicted in 1908.

Internet and PCs were preducted fully in 1946 in a tale called "A logic named Joe" by Murray Leinster. Before him, though, there were several description of authomatic global networks, including a tale of Verne of the 19th centry. Genetic engineering is another matter. Depending how it is defined, genetical engineering is being speculated in fiction since the classic times. Remember mynotaurus, for instance. Modern especulations include the famous "Brave New World", but there are many precedents in fiction.

In short, very few things have really surprised the visionaries at all.

Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 18:58
Machines, mechanical men and Cloning is in Greco-Roman mythology(good example is in the Iliad) and there has been Ancient production of automatons well into the Italian Renaissance and after  .
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 01:35
Originally posted by Tyranos

Machines, mechanical men and Cloning is in Greco-Roman mythology(good example is in the Iliad) and there has been Ancient production of automatons well into the Italian Renaissance and after  .

Indeed, the minotaurus is an example of the first. Authomations appear in the Illiad (the servants of Efestos) and Jason and the Argonauts (Thalos). There is an amazing body of predictions of mechanical men, including Julio Verne's doctor Zacarias, the tales of Hoffman and the legend of the Golem, among many other things. 
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 00:13
Emperors?

First, define "Emperor." Presumably an "Emperor" is a different thing, even subtly, from a "King" or "Baron."

Second, if we simply define "Emperor" as "a particularly grandiose dictator" then yes. there are already individuals who could be called Emperors, as in: Powerful people less than interested in freedom and practicality and more interested in power, supported by a large and complex bureaucracy which claims to act in "the people's" interests. Not to offend anyone's sensibilities, but one of them runs Russia and another runs China, currently. The US hasn't quite reached the point where we could stop being called a republic; but we have an aristocracy, our poor get poorer and our rich get richer (currently), and we have leaders who are quite willing to resort to torture or illegal spying, neither of which generally yields results that would justify it's use. We are no longer the country we still claim to be, whether we like that or not.

My point is that it is human nature to want power. Space, once it becomes a common thing to settle it, might make that easier, and more fluid--a new Frontier, when the earth has had few "wild west" type places for hundreds of years, besides Antarctica and the oceans--the oceans being the notable example: pirates, drug runners (some of whom are rich enough to build small submarines), rushes to exploit new resources. However, Space would not suddenly create something that was not already there. We HAVE individuals who could be called emperors; Space might simply make it easier for such individuals to pursue their designs without fear or punishment. It is, as Douglas Adams said, big.

Edited by TheARRGH - 11-Mar-2008 at 00:13
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Mumbloid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mumbloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 17:08
IMO we will make it into space within the next decade, and perhaps between 50 and 100 have colonies into space (having a outpost/base is not equal to a colony) making us a type 1 civilitation.
 We have the tecnology, space travel is generally cheap we just need the political will. And speaking about remote future, about the impossibility to reach the speed of light, well perhaps thanks to wormholes, hyperspace or something else we will overcome easely what we belive impossible. I firmly belive everytime we encounter a obstacle soon or later there will be a tecnological artifact that will remove it. We should not forget what it was impossible yesterday it is possible to day, and so will it be tomorrow.

About space empire, well depends on what kind of politics there will be around in the future, it is possible if it will be a teocraty or a oligarchy but hardly with a democraty. But we should also see if we will be the makers of the empire or just be part of a galactic empire? who knows....
The future keeps the past alive.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 22:20
Hmmh. I disagree. Minotaurus is not a genetic manipulation but rather the personification of astral symbols in human myths.

Now, about the topic at hand: I tend to believe in 'easy' space travel and such - how can we know? Perhaps there is a Stargate that the US control? The general public wouldn't know until I don't know what times...

However, it would seem more logical that the first 'true' ships that move into space with the idea of conquest or exploration are fully armoured military vessels. Another possibility is that the countries on Earth will take the subathmospheric flight into a higher level trying to overwhelm the enemy by extraathmospheric manouvers which couldn't be countered from lower areas therefore rendering the technological development to an area which could be referred to as space... and as we all know.. What military does today, civilans do tomorrow...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 02:06
Originally posted by rider

Hmmh. I disagree. Minotaurus is not a genetic manipulation but rather the personification of astral symbols in human myths.

Both. The astral part is part of many myths. But Minotaurous is also the result of bestialism, isn't? Mixing races of beings was the earliest form of genetical manipulation that existed, as the farmers and geneticist know.

Originally posted by rider

However, it would seem more logical that the first 'true' ships that move into space with the idea of conquest or exploration are fully armoured military vessels. Another possibility is that the countries on Earth will take the subathmospheric flight into a higher level trying to overwhelm the enemy by extraathmospheric manouvers which couldn't be countered from lower areas therefore rendering the technological development to an area which could be referred to as space... and as we all know.. What military does today, civilans do tomorrow...

I agree. But I bet solar power satelites and space tourism will be the factors that will drive the development of space in the next decades or perhaps centuries.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12