Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Actor Heath Ledger Dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actor Heath Ledger Dies
    Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 13:42

Always with the insults.

But rarely with the facts. Let me see.

"Who is he? Who is he really? I don't care about him.."

"Whats the bigger tragedy, 45,000 preventable deaths a month or a middle of the road actor who killed himself?"

"the media is circling around Heath Ledgers body like a troope of crows."

I am merely saying that it is wrong to diss on a dead man. It weakens your point. Take it or leave it.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 13:51
Ok, lets see who threw the insults around here:

It's just talking rubbish for the sake of it
You want me to tell you why you are talking rubbish Denis? No problem.
Why even bother going to college? 35000 people die in the Congo every month, for Christ's sake.
A terrible twang of self-rightousness there

I was actually taking the piss of you there with the 'talking rubbish' thing. Rarely with the facts? What facts do you want me to provide that I haven't already provided? Your just being obtuse for the sake of it.

I don't care about him... I don't care about Mick Joe Mc Kenna who died on a tractor in Offaly. Thats because I've never met him, never talked to him... Why would I care about him? Its a tragedy, and I accept that. Don't expect me to cry my way to sleep over it though.

"Whats the bigger tragedy, 45,000 preventable deaths a month or a middle of the road actor who killed himself?"

Theres nothing wrong with this statement. What is the bigger tragedy in your eyes?

"the media is circling around Heath Ledgers body like a troope of crows."

How am I dissing him here? I'm dissing the media. Don't be a hypocrite. Do you even remember you point?
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 13:53
You are lowering the discussion to the level of personal differences, Parnell. As is clearly stated in the CoC, if you have any problem with a particular member it should be addressed through pm or through the medium of a moderator. I suggest you count to ten and have a cup of coffee.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 13:55
Always with the insults.
But rarely with the facts. Let me see.

I suggest the same for you.

And don't talk to me like a bloody moderator.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 15:12
Alright guys, do to me screwing up, this thread is still open. I think it'd be a better idea for both of you to discuss Heath Ledger's Passing. The current discussion between the two of you has gotten the better of you guys, and I'd appreciate it if you two to cooperate with me, because that discssion will end there. No more discussing morality or importance of deaths.

Thanks guys.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 15:28

Originally posted by Parnell

What annoyed me is that around the same time the Congo story broke, the media swarmed around Ledger like it was the death of the Messiah.
Are you suggesting more coverage should have been given to the death of the Messiah than it actually got? That the Messiah dying was more important than many thousands dying in the Congo - or any other disaster area?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:13

No offense SearchandDestroy, but apart from the fact that we know each other and thus tend to squabble a bit, the argument was quite relevent, as morality and the importance of death is key to a thread concerning the death of someone famous.The point just had to be clarified, and thus there would have been no justification for closing the thread. If you read my posts you will see that all I did was focus on Ledger's passing, I just clarified why I was doing so in the mean time. Thanks.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:18
Nothing like watching a couple of Irish blokes duking it out. Before the blood spills, Dolphin and Parnell, would the two of you mind if you took it outside?
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:26
Originally posted by Dolphin

No offense SearchandDestroy, but apart from the fact that we know each other and thus tend to squabble a bit, the argument was quite relevent, as morality and the importance of death is key to a thread concerning the death of someone famous.The point just had to be clarified, and thus there would have been no justification for closing the thread. If you read my posts you will see that all I did was focus on Ledger's passing, I just clarified why I was doing so in the mean time. Thanks.

Dolphin, my concern wasn't whether it was relevant to the topic or not, you two are not having a healthy discussion and as a Moderator it's my duty to prevent things getting worse. I saw your discussion with each other getting personal with a arguements on who's death is more important turning in a bickering match on who insulted who first. So I asked to stop and I'd appreciate you take my advice.
You yourself even brought up the CoC, and if a member has to do that, I think it's time to end that discussion. So I'm asking nicely again, please stay off that area, atleast in this thread. Start another topic on it if you'd like, it'd probably be a more healthy discussion then this one is at this point.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:44
Ok Search, I get ya. I brought up the CoC to annoy my good friend Denis, not to actually demonstrate that I was threatened by the discussion. I don't need any more passive aggressive warnings, I can take a hint! Discussion ended. Stern%20Smile
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:52
lol Thanks Dolphin! I really appreciate, helps me out alot.Smile
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 22:32
If any of you remember the "old" Joker he had something to say about this unfortunate tradegy. Jack Nicholson played the Joker in the 1989 Batman movie which shot the character to Hollywood fame. This article discusses Nicholson's thoughts on the matter.

NEW YORK Jack Nicholson said Tuesday that he "warned" fellow Joker actor Heath Ledger.

The 70-year-old Oscar winner was dining at the Wolseley restaurant in London when a photographer told him about Ledger's death.

After saying, "That's awful," Jack added I warned him," and refused to elaborate.

Later, at the premiere of his new film "The Bucket List," Nicholson reportedly said he "warns people about Ambien."

I almost drove off a cliff once. I dont take sleeping pills but somebody said take this, its mild.'

I got a call in the middle of the night, kind of an emergency, and I almost drove off a cliff 50 yards from my house, and I live up in the mountains in Aspen. So I warn people about it. But I also did not know Mr. Ledger.

Nicholson played The Joker in the 1989 "Batman" movie; Ledger played The Joker in the upcoming "Dark Knight."

Ledger had acknowledged that his brooding character drained him physically and mentally and caused him to have trouble sleeping, a condition for which he said he took prescription pills.

According to an MTV November interview, Nicholson was asked: "What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker?"

"Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious [he laughs]. They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that nobody ever asked me."

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 22:36
Anyone know the amount and dosage of Ambien that Ledger may have taken?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Akolouthos

To put this in context, 45,000 people die in the Congo every month. I'm always amazed at how much news coverage, public dismay etc. etc. middle of the road public figures get when they die. I mean, I had never even heard of Anne Nicole Smith when she died.

And we're going to have to listen to the 'speculation' about this for the next three months.

Should we feel bad for mourning a much loved character just because he is much loved? When David Attenborough dies, will we put his death in perspective as well? It's just talking rubbish for the sake of it, he was well known around the world, more well kown than uncle Micky or your cousin Timmy that died. Of course he will receive more news coverage. Just because the man is famous does not mean his death is any less tragic. And with referral to the 'speculation' about it, that is a product of the media world, and has nothing to do with Heath Ledger himself. Unless of course it was all a publicity stunt..

Well said, that! Clap

Honestly Parnell, do try to be a bit less cynical. Caring about the one does not mean that we cease to care about the other.

-Akolouthos

It is maybe because we can put a face to the death Parnell. Yes thousands die per day. And truth be told yes that is all sad and no one is expressing disconcern with that. However, this is someone that most people do know, and someone that has affected them through movies etc... and therefore you can respond about it in more depth than someone you have no clue exists. There are a lot of sad deaths and unfortunately the state of the world allows it to be so. I wish there were not, nevertheless, that does not make his death any more unimportant just because he is one person and not a collective.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 22:49
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Akolouthos

To put this in context, 45,000 people die in the Congo every month. I'm always amazed at how much news coverage, public dismay etc. etc. middle of the road public figures get when they die. I mean, I had never even heard of Anne Nicole Smith when she died.

And we're going to have to listen to the 'speculation' about this for the next three months.

Should we feel bad for mourning a much loved character just because he is much loved? When David Attenborough dies, will we put his death in perspective as well? It's just talking rubbish for the sake of it, he was well known around the world, more well kown than uncle Micky or your cousin Timmy that died. Of course he will receive more news coverage. Just because the man is famous does not mean his death is any less tragic. And with referral to the 'speculation' about it, that is a product of the media world, and has nothing to do with Heath Ledger himself. Unless of course it was all a publicity stunt..

Well said, that! Clap

Honestly Parnell, do try to be a bit less cynical. Caring about the one does not mean that we cease to care about the other.

-Akolouthos

It is maybe because we can put a face to the death Parnell. Yes thousands die per day. And truth be told yes that is all sad and no one is expressing disconcern with that. However, this is someone that most people do know, and someone that has affected them through movies etc... and therefore you can respond about it in more depth than someone you have no clue exists. There are a lot of sad deaths and unfortunately the state of the world allows it to be so. I wish there were not, nevertheless, that does not make his death any more unimportant just because he is one person and not a collective.

Just to clarify to you all - my principal point was that at around the same time the Ledger story broke, the Congo one broke as well. To me my sympathies lie with the preventable deaths in this world... Bah, I don't have a lot of time for people who kill themselves anyway. Its always a tragedy, but when someone does that to their family, its usually the family I feel sorriest for.

And thats my two cents, and the end of it too! Emmet knows these things might get personal, but at the end of the day we'll be having a few pints at some stage or the other and neither of us will care less...
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 23:27
That is of course if you frickin' vex me. Cuz I don't take a vexn' from no punk..
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 22:24
Montel Williams is right on... Sorta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3Spcq6Uzs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12