Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brits Knighting those who beat them

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brits Knighting those who beat them
    Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 11:38

Knighthoods obsolete in modern Australia

By Adam Shand

It seems like a dream-like memory when, in 1999, Australia voted in a referendum against sending our vice regal trappings back to ole Blighty. There was majority support for Australia to become a sovereign republic, but division in the yes vote meant the status quo was retained.

Now remarkably there seems enthusiastic support in Australia for British Prime Minister Gordon Browns suggestion that the Commonwealth Honours system be revived to honour the exploits of cricketers.

Browns reasoning seems as flawed as some Australians desire to plunge back into the past seems ridiculous.

"I believe it was a good tradition to celebrate the achievements of great Commonwealth cricketers - it shows we are a nation of good sports. Personally, I would like to see some of the great players of our era receive honorary awards so that the British nation can salute their achievements in one of our national sports, Brown told The Telegraph newspaper.

So, essentially, Brown wants to congratulate foreign players with knighthoods for kicking the backsides of the England cricket team. How dispiriting for Englands struggling XI  to have to call ruffians like Shane Warne Sir.

So starved are the English people of sporting success, the Queen made the entire team Members of the British Empire when England won the 2005 Ashes series against Australia. Captain Michael Vaughan and coach Duncan Fletcher were admitted to the Order of the British Empire. Paul Collingwood, who only played the last Test match, scoring 10 and 7, still got a gong. The currency seems a trifle debased.

While still a-courting the Australian public pre-election Labor leader Kevin Rudd sorta, kinda promised there would be a fresh debate about a republic if he was prime minister.  

We are still yet to see the colour of his flag on this one, but reviving the old honours system would devalue our own honours here. Who would want to be a Companion in the Order of Australia when you could be a knight of the realm? Rudd needs to politely let this through the keeper.  Australias critical shortage of dragons in need of slaying settles the issue for this correspondent.

And of course, just as Shane Warnes ex-wife Simone might say: she who waits for her knight will probably end up cleaning up after his horse.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 14:39
Britain has a long tradition of giving honours to foreigners, let alone Commonwealth members. And for that matter other countries regularly do the same (as the French with the Lgion d'Honneur). Just a couple of weeks ago, in the New Year Honours List, Sir Li Ka Shing got his knighthood, and he's beaten out British bankers just as badly as Shane Warne has beaten out English batsmen.

I don't really know why there should be any fuss about this, nor do I really understand what Gordon Brown mentioned it for. But then it's been some while since I understood what a British prime minister was going on about.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 16:12
Gives the Aussie sportsmen the oppotunity to join this list.

Wonder how many will have the guts to do it?

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 16:25
I also wonder how many declined the honour (as my best man Winner did) because they thought it wasn't good enough.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 16:33
So starved are the English people of sporting success, the Queen made the entire team Members of the British Empire when England won the 2005 Ashes series against Australia. Captain Michael Vaughan and coach Duncan Fletcher were admitted to the Order of the British Empire. Paul Collingwood, who only played the last Test match, scoring 10 and 7, still got a gong. The currency seems a trifle debased

So it seems that Perfidious Albion will remain starved of sportimg success and have to fall back on political success, like the empire.
 Post Reply Post Reply