Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Turkish people's ancestors?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Turkish people's ancestors?
    Posted: 18-Jan-2009 at 20:34
Turks are from the son of Prophet Noah's Japheth(Yafth) in Arabic. The first section of the tribe made its approach in Altai mountains and at night being under the moon with the moutain made the region named like 'Alt' 'Ay' meaning beneath the moon in Turkish. Turks used to honour  and worship three things first the Sky, moon and then the Grey wolf or 'Bozkurt' in Turkish. (The crescent that has become a general symbol of Islam has actually come to that by Turks who used to carry a standard with three crescents lately one on that as a sacred symbol. Many mistook this to be an early Islamic symbol try to show early crusades as a confrontation between cross and crescent) .The Turks then spread farther and wider for the time and accessed the Orkhun valley which was for a long their centre. The strong tribes migrating towards east as well as west from the same area these migrations have been occuring time to time till in eightth and ninth century the time of Turks came to be pouring in the northern regions of western Persia and Iraq. Looking to the simplicity and social customs of Islam being favourable to their own social system these Turks got converted to Islam enmass. The valley of Orkhun was left to their brethren Mongols which are also from the same branch of race as them. It is to be noted here that the Great Khan Chengiz was made the Khaqan of all Tartars unanimously by Turks and Mongols which were not considered separated as a clan. The Uighur Turks of the east have run almost all of the official, economic and diplomatic duties of the Khaqan.
Now is the question about the mongoloid features of being or not being belonging to Turkic nationality. First one thing is to be noted that The Turks as a nation are mixed and they do not possess a certain boundary to be bound to, one can find an Uighur family in Anatolia and an Oghuz Turk or Turkoman in most eastern part of Turkistan north of China. There are only one certain clan in greater numbers than other while all are mostly mixed. Turks do not possess a certain shape of face to be marked for the righthood of breed. The Khaqan Changiz was said to be blue eyed, similarly among the Central Asian Turks like Uzbeks or Kazakh one can find difference of colour and facial appearance. In some cases change in atmosphere, converts got mixed and inter marriages like those of Asia Minor has changed the features but even then the manners and mostly body appearances preserve.
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 20:47
I am a Turkish and I will try to write there a summary. Thank you!

The Turkish People's ancestors are Huns( the nation who was at far east ) The Great China's Wall built by Chineese for defence theirselves from Turks(Huns) but it didn't stop Turks. After The Turks went west and took Anatolia and another pieces (Ottoman Empire time)

I think this is a summary. (:

If you want to learn near Turkish history you can read this.

The name Turk refers to two different Muslim groups of the Middle East-first the Seljuks and then the Ottomans. The Seljuks, nomads from the steppes near the Caspian Sea, converted to Islam around the tenth century. Approximately 70,000 Seljuks started as mercenaries to fill the ranks of the Islamic army of the caliph of Baghdad. These mercenaries converted to the Sunni branch of Islam. In 1055 they became the real power behind the caliph in Baghdad and began extending their rule. Their leaders took the title sultan, meaning "holders of power." By 1100 they controlled most of Anatolia (taken from the Byzantines), Palestine, the lands surrounding the Persian Gulf, the holy cities of Arabia, and as far east as Samarkand.

In 1071 the Seljuks achieved a stunning victory over a Byzantine army at Malazgirt in modern Turkey, which led to Turkish occupation of most of Anatolia. At nearly the same time, they successfully captured Jerusalem from its Egyptian Muslim rulers. These two events shocked the Byzantines, the papacy, and the Christian Europeans. The result was the Crusades, which carried on for the next 200 years.

The Seljuk Turks were worn down by the recurring wars with the Crusaders, even though they were successful ultimately in regaining control of Palestine. They were threatened simultaneously by the activities of the Assassins, a heretical sect of Islam. Internally, Islam entered a period of introspection because of the popularity of Sufi mysticism. During this period of exhaustion and weakness, they were attacked suddenly by the Mongols and collapsed. Baghdad fell to the invaders in 1258 and the Seljuk Empire disappeared.

Islamic peoples from Anatolia (modern Turkey in Asia Minor) were unified in the early fourteenth century under Sultan Osman I and took the name Osmanli, or Ottomans, in his honor. The Ottomans swore a jihad against the crumbling Byzantine Empire and took their campaign around Constantinople into the Balkans. In 1389 the Serbs were defeated. In 1396 a "crusader" army from Hungary was defeated. Ottoman successes were temporarily halted by the Mongols under Tamerlane, but he moved on with his army and the Ottomans recovered.

Sultan Mehmed II ("the Conqueror") at last captured Constantinople on May 29, 1453. The great walls of Constantinople were battered by 70 guns for eight weeks and then 15,000 Janissaries led the successful assault.

The Ottomans pushed on into Europe following the capture of Constantinople and threatened a sort of reverse Crusade. They were stopped by a Hungarian army at Belgrade in 1456, however. Attacks on Vienna were repulsed in 1529 and again in 1683. At its peak in the sixteenth century, the Ottoman Empire reached up into Europe to Budapest and Odessa and included all of Greece and the Balkans, the lands surrounding the Black Sea, Asia Minor, the Levant, Arabia, Egypt, and most of North Africa. The Ottoman Empire remained a significant world power until World War I in the twentieth century.

We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 21:01
Originally posted by MythTR

I am a Turkish and I will try to write there a summary. Thank you!

The Turkish People's ancestors are Huns( the nation who was at far east ) The Great China's Wall built by Chineese for defence theirselves from Turks(Huns) but it didn't stop Turks. After The Turks went west and took Anatolia and another pieces (Ottoman Empire time)

I think this is a summary. (:

If you want to learn near Turkish history you can read this.

MythTR, please do not say that you will write a summary if you are only going to cut and paste something from a website.  If you do this, you must provide the source, which is:

You must also provide your own commentary if you mention an outside source.  Also, since this came from an introduction to a popular video game, I would suggest referencing more reputable sources in the future.

MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote MythTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 16:04
I didn't copy-paste the summary part. It is really writen by me. Only other part which didn't I call summary is from Age Of Empires game.

I try to create the shortest part.

If I write wrong comment it , thank you.
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 13:38
To determine the ancestors of the Turkish people the genetics of the Oghuz clan has to be researched. That's a tough job because they all mixed on the way to Anatolia. Of course its a fact that all neighbour populations have contributed to the Turkish gene pool. Turks have always been "good neighbours". And different ethnicities in the same region will always look like each other. Their roots are Turkic, its something like the corn from the field that goes to the bakery and becomes bread. It is bread now, but it will always remember what it was before.
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote HungryWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 13:13
which we have noticed to be true with the Azari's who are of Iranian origin but were forced into speaking Turkish.

Hi. You said that "azeris" are iranian origin.
I am agreeing with that but what you mean by "azeri" word?
If u mean the people who live in North and South Azerbaijan you have a mistake.
Azeris are nation living in south Iran and they do not speak turkic language.
They completly have nothing with Azerbaijanians.
As a Azerbaijanian i must say you that majority (90%) of Azerbaijan people are Oguz turks.

Edited by HungryWolf - 16-Mar-2009 at 13:20

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
Asawar Hazaraspa View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Asawar Hazaraspa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2009 at 13:32
And I say you are wrong cause today people of Azerbaijan republic are descendants of intermarriages amongst local very ancient Caucasians later Indo-Europeans and then later Turkic and Altaics. And you cannot deny all these ancestors. 
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2009 at 16:14
Originally posted by Asawar Hazaraspa

And I say you are wrong cause today people of Azerbaijan republic are descendants of intermarriages amongst local very ancient Caucasians later Indo-Europeans and then later Turkic and Altaics. And you cannot deny all these ancestors. 
Ofcourse you are right, Iranians also has a lot of ancestors
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2009 at 04:48
ancestors of turks are who pastured the horse and started the hors-nomadic lifestyle.

Arcturus Mengsk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arcturus Mengsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 01:19
Cheeta is right if we will look for an ancestor.
Turkish people is a mixture of other races(turanid,mongoloid,mediterranean,dinaric whatever..)
Speaking turkish or a turkic language will label me as "turk", I dont know.But I'd rather like to know my genetic history.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 01:53
Turkish Y-DNA:
G 28% common in different regions, the Turkish one is found in Greece, Turkey and Iran, as well as Caucasus region
R1b 21% very strong in europe espcially western europe
J 16% very high in Arabia and the orient
F 11% South and west Asian
K 11% in Eurasia
R1a 9% found much among eastern europeans
I2a 4% very strong on the balkans

Conclusion:
G seems to be very old in Turkey, perhaps a neolithic population.
R1b/R1a seem to be even very old
J can perhaps be connected with early neolithic population from south as well with the Arabian conquest
F is very old to
K is found in Eurasia and perhaps a relict of Turkish invasion
I2a is as well connected with early invasions of europe long time ago

So, DNA test don't really help
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 17:37
There are two types of Turkic peoples:

1) Those who are linguistically Turkic
2) Those who are ethnically Turkic (the ones who migrated Westward and left their linguistic trace, but can be found today in Central Asia and Siberia)

The Turkic armies that invaded Western Asia were small in number compared to the local inhabitants. As they intermarried their genetics became part of that Western Asia pool. Turks from Turkey and the Republic of Azerbaijan are descendants of the people who lived in those regions prior to Turkic invasion, this is evident in their genetics as well as their physical appearance.

The Turks that stayed in Central Asia and Siberia and did not intermarry in a region where they were out numbered, maintained their genetic and physical appearance.

Thus, linguistically, anyone speaking a Turkic language as their only tongue is considered Turkic, however, ethnically, not all Turks are Turkic.
ancalimon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ancalimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2012 at 23:01
1-) The biggest problem is assuming that Turks as a people did not exist in Anatolia and Europe before Christ.

2-) The second biggest problem is to assume that Turks living before Christ spoke and wrote in a language very similar to today's Turkic languages.

3-) The third biggest problem to see Turks like how we today see different nations as.

Turks were not genetically homogeneous people. There were Turks who looked totally different from each other. The name Turk (probably the word Tur itself with the added suffix uk - ük (it means "we belong to") was given to all of the people living in Central Asia; more precisely the land known as Turan (which means "belonging to Tur" in Turkic).

There are many possibilities to what the word Tur - Turk means. There are many theories.

For example it could be related with Töreli ~ Toralı meaning one or all of the following "with laws, bound by laws, having a culture, knows how to plow the land, knows how to drive ( seriously :) )" etc.

For example it could be related with the verb Otur (from Proto-Turkic *ol(u)-tur-  (which itself meaning (become tur)  ; meaning to become a dweller, to become sit, to become a settler.

For example it could be related with the verb "türe" meaning "to reproduce", "to become erect (as in walk on two legs)", "to spring up", "to come into existence"...

From what we know today, the lands from which Turks spread to rest of the world is here:

The most numerous of Turks were probably the Oq~Oğ~Ow Turks who most probably got divided into two during ancient times.

Most of those Turks called themselves as Ogur (we are the Oq), while the minority called themselves Oghuz (we are the Oq). (Oghuz were probably the Turks who had the least population)

As you can see there is a dialect difference among them.
Among Oghuz, "uz" means "we are, us"
Among Ogur, "ur" means "we are, us"

There were also the Kipchak Turks who were blonde and had blue eyes. They were not as numerous as Ogurs.

For example we know that Ogurs were living west of Cimmerian Bosphorus when the Greeks established a colony in Phanagoria in BC 543.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123