Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Organ donation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Organ donation
    Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 17:31
I've recently heard a podcast from the Cato Institute (a libertarian think tank) arguing against one of Mr Gordon Brown latest initiative. The British Premier wants to change the way consent for organ donation is given from an automatic "no" unless consent is given to an automatic "yes" unless otherwise stated.

The goal of this legislation is to reduce the organ shortage. One may wonder what is wrong about it. After all when one's dead one doesn't care any more, may as well use these organs that are going to be wasted but could still save lives. Yes, it may open to some sore cases when a family will be hurt because daddy's heart has been "stolen" by the administration. But it is arguably a small price to pay for hundreds to survive.

The speaker at the Cato Institute (who as a good libertarian opposes this type of legislation) pointed out that the countries that already have implemented this system only saw a relative increase in organ supply. It may be true but a slight improvement is better a result than what 90% of government decisions create.

She also argued (which I didn't know) that the procedure prior the organ donation were long and painful. Basically they don't just wait for you to die and then hop! slice you open to get the goodies. Physicians have to keep you under several chemical treatments and artificial respiration/heart etc so as to collect the organs in the best conditions as possible (for them if not for the patient).

So much for the "once dead one doesn't care". On the other hand, it could also be said that this would certainly trigger the spread of best practice and unleash innovations in the field of care for the end of life. So where one sees a problem another may see an opportunity.

The last argument she had was based on the case of Iran. I didn't think I'd live to hear the Cato Institute praising the Islamic Republic health policies, but here it is. In Iran one can sell a kidney. Legally that is, not on the black market as in many other countries.

This system has many advantages. First of all it guarantees that the supply of kidneys is steady. It also provides a welcome source of income for the less prosperous households. The procedure is not too dangerous so every one finds something to gain from it. One could even imagine a system were dead people would bequeath the profit of their organs' sale to their heirs. Besides, other organs could be sold during the donor's life (liver).

Who are we to prevent one from making a profit and another from surviving? True, it may create an unfair situation  that would allow the rich to survive but not the poor. But this is a hypocritical argument as the rich has already much more chances to get better doctors, treatments, etc and thus more chances to survive. Besides, it is perfectly possible to imagine charities dedicated to buy organs to the poor (or a tax on organ sales, but don't say it to the Cato Institute). Finally should we let the rich die because we can't save the poor?

The problem is somewhere else. Not only is the end of life experience not better if you sell or give your organs but it is not guaranteed that the life donor is going to stay alive and well for long. In other words, organ donation creates serious risks. For instance, if you have only one kidney left you are more likely to need a transplant yourself later.

The Cato Institute's speaker was proposing to create a kind of life-long health care insurance financed by the donors. That is fine but it is also likely to more than double the price of the transplant (the donor may need a transplant, which creates a new donor who himself may need a transplant and it increases demand, i.e. the price of the organ, not mentioning other health issues that do not involve a transplant).

As a result, whether the government finances part of the procedure (which would go against the Cato Institute's philosophy) or it opens room for black market (that is without insurance for the donor). Other problems may arise (women donating kidneys may not be able to have children after the procedure, thus creating a problem once these women are old and not shouldered by a family, as well as a labor shortage).

These pitfalls don't mean there shouldn't be a market for organs (both from life donor and dead ones). It just means that the question is not as easily solved as the Cato Institute's speaker wants us to believe. Ultimately one may hope that science will soon solve the problem by "growing" organs artificially.

What do you think? Should there be a market for organs? Would you sell your kidney for, say, $6,000 or $10,000?
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 18:03
I wouldn't sell my kidney but my mother once told me that if anything happens I can tell the doctors to donate her organs- but after she dies. (touch wood). Apparently she believes that some doctors are more eager to give up the fight for a severely injured organ doner.....

Now on the article, I find it horrible, poor people would go around with one kidney it's like you take advantage of one's situation.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 04:45

What do you think? Should there be a market for organs? Would you sell your kidney for, say, $6,000 or $10,000?

Should there be a market for organs? Personally I don't have a strong opinion any one way. I feel that it would be all to easy to exploit the poor and abused populations of a country so I guess I would lean towards a straight forward ban.

Personally I'm against organ donation for myself, but if others have a desire to do so after their death nothing should stop them. So I'd want to keep an automatic "no" response for organ donation.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 04:50
I volunteered my organs a couple of years ago in the instance that I die. I would love for the people who need them to pay for them so I can pass on something extra in my will to my siblings.

I am not in favour of selling your organs during your own lifetime. Doing that causes problems, no doubt. You have two kidneys for a reason, you have two eyes for a reason. Remove one and you will still be alive, but leave yourself vulnerable to a range of health problems. In the case of a dying relative, it is understandable that you would donate such a vital organ. But for profit? No. You burden yourself and the state with your future health problems in exchange for some quick cash. Plus, there will always be organ needy people with money who find a way of screwing some cash strapped idiot out of an organ.

I have no problem with Mr Brown's position, and I support it. If keeping your organs intact is such a morally huge issue for you - then you can take the option of refusing the automatic organ harvesting. If you don't care enough to do that, then your concerns over organ harvesting are obviously absolutely minimal compared to someone else's desperate need for a life saving organ transplant.

Originally posted by Marhabbal

She also argued (which I didn't know) that the procedure prior the organ donation were long and painful. Basically they don't just wait for you to die and then hop! slice you open to get the goodies. Physicians have to keep you under several chemical treatments and artificial respiration/heart etc so as to collect the organs in the best conditions as possible (for them if not for the patient).

I'm a little confused by this. Is she saying that organ preservation treatment is painful before death? - because if it is then you could always tell the doctors you don't want your organs harvested under Gordon Brown's plan.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 14:21

I have no problem with organ donation as a principle. The idea has been around for a number of years here in the UK. It is a voluntary system.

And that is where I believe it should stay. Whilts the Government can legislate (if necessary) to allow for organ donationto take place, in an allegedly free society it has no right to say that donation is compulsory unless you wish otherwise.

If organ donation is to be made compulsory then why not blood donations.

I am a blood donor myself and carry an organ donor card.

Compulsory donation whilst no doubt with good intentions comes under the heading 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 06:02
Originally posted by peteratwar

And that is where I believe it should stay. Whilts the Government can legislate (if necessary) to allow for organ donationto take place, in an allegedly free society it has no right to say that donation is compulsory unless you wish otherwise.

The donation isn't compulsory in any form, just automatic. There is no compulsion, just assumption.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 06:27
The donation isn't compulsory in any form, just automatic. There is no compulsion, just assumption.

Slippery slope rules apply though. Once it becomes automatic then people won't resist when the government slowly makes it more and more difficult to get off the donation list.

Like instead of merely saying you don't want to when you apply for a license you have to fill out a separate form. And then later on instead of that separate form you have to go through multiple forms that have to go to separate offices. And then after that perhaps you have to get your forms approved by a religious advisor or the government could deny you your application to not donate your organs.

It's better to nip in the bud legislation that violates the rights over your own body before it gets carried to far.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 06:51
Originally posted by JanusRook

Slippery slope rules apply though. Once it becomes automatic then people won't resist when the government slowly makes it more and more difficult to get off the donation list.

Like instead of merely saying you don't want to when you apply for a license you have to fill out a separate form. And then later on instead of that separate form you have to go through multiple forms that have to go to separate offices. And then after that perhaps you have to get your forms approved by a religious advisor or the government could deny you your application to not donate your organs.

It's better to nip in the bud legislation that violates the rights over your own body before it gets carried to far.

Provided it never becomes that unreasonably difficult it should still be fine. But you have a point regarding making it a pain in the rear for people to enforce their rights.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 14:28

Soon there will come a day when noone will need to donate a whole organ - I've seen some Discovery channel specials on the future of science. Apparently they're making the tech to print off organs.. like take a cell and duplicate it or whatever, some amazing stuff!

Einstein said, "God does not play dice." He was right. God plays Scrabble. - Philip Gold
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 14:43

The system here is the same as in the UK - voluntary. We can chose to become a Donor.

Like Peteratwar, I carry a Donation Card and have done so for many years. Money should never be involved in organ donation for obvious reasons (poor people selling their vital organs ie.)

In my opinion, everyone should be a donor by default.
Then, if you feel strongly against donating your organs, you actively should be able to change that to a no.
Consequently, in the light of fairness, if you say no, you should not be able to receive an organ.

However, I wonder how many no-sayers actually would say no to recieve an organ to save their own life, or the life of one of their children.
There is a word for that, isn't there? Wink

~ Northman

Edited by Northman - 17-Jan-2008 at 14:45
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 15:16
Question remains should a government be able to extend its control over us even after death ?

Is this really what a government should be doing ?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 20:04
Some would like to see a theoretical issue here. But it is not, go explain a man dying that the organ he desperately needs is going to be buried for the worms to enjoy and that soon they are going to enjoy him instead.

I've been speaking with a friend who happens to be doctor in a department were people die a lot and fairly young hence on the front line of organ donation. In France, in case of emergency (and there is always an emergency, doctors can automatically take an organ without the consent of the family.
In fact the consent is always sought and almost always granted. She says that the one big exception are the families of young people (under 20) who died unexpectedly. And their wish is almost always respected and the body left untouched.

So in this case the legislation does little more than giving an extra argument to the doctors. And in practice a family really opposed to the donation still prevails.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 23:01
Originally posted by JanusRook

Should there be a market for organs? Personally I don't have a strong opinion any one way. I feel that it would be all to easy to exploit the poor and abused populations of a country so I guess I would lean towards a straight forward ban.

Personally I'm against organ donation for myself, but if others have a desire to do so after their death nothing should stop them. So I'd want to keep an automatic "no" response for organ donation.

Same here. I don't care if other people give away their organs,  but I don't want my body butchered after I die.

Presumed consent is wrong. Consent has to be given. Not taking any action is not consent.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 23:05
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Some would like to see a theoretical issue here. But it is not, go explain a man dying that the organ he desperately needs is going to be buried for the worms to enjoy and that soon they are going to enjoy him instead.

I've been speaking with a friend who happens to be doctor in a department were people die a lot and fairly young hence on the front line of organ donation. In France, in case of emergency (and there is always an emergency, doctors can automatically take an organ without the consent of the family.
In fact the consent is always sought and almost always granted. She says that the one big exception are the families of young people (under 20) who died unexpectedly. And their wish is almost always respected and the body left untouched.

So in this case the legislation does little more than giving an extra argument to the doctors. And in practice a family really opposed to the donation still prevails.

People needing organ transplants have no right other people organs. If people decide to donate, great. If not? Well, better get your affairs in order.

Edward Abbey
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 23:37
Originally posted by Adalwolf

People needing organ transplants have no right other people organs. If people decide to donate, great. If not? Well, better get your affairs in order.

Adalwolf wakes up in a hospital bed, and the doctor explains:
You were brought to the hospital because you suddenly passed out in class this morning.
There is no question about it - you have a fatal heart condition and you desparately need a heart transplant. Its a matter of hours or you will die.
Fortunately for you, a young guy was killed in a car accident earlier today, and his parents already gave their consent that you can have his heart.   
- and Adalwolf answers:
No thank you doctor, I have no right to have his heart - just let me die.
Is that a story you believe could be true, Adalwolf?

Edited by Northman - 20-Jan-2008 at 23:41
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 23:45
Originally posted by Northman

Adalwolf wakes up in a hospital bed, and the doctor explains:
You were brought to the hospital because you suddenly passed out in class this morning.
There is no question about it - you have a fatal heart condition and you desparately need a heart transplant. Its a matter of hours or you will die.
Fortunately for you, a young guy was killed in a car accident earlier today, and his parents already gave their consent that you can have it.   
- and Adalwolf answers:
No thank you doctor, I have no right to have his heart - just let me die.
Is that a story you believe could be true, Adalwolf?

Well, seeing that I'm in good health, I don't see this situation happening for at least 20 years.

But, for the sake of argument, here's my thoughts:

First off, I wouldn't believe the doctor. I would tell him he was wrong, and I would storm out of the hospital. If I made it, I would try and get home. If I made it home I would probably attempt to do something strenuous and prove the doctor wrong.

And no, I would not accept a transplant. I don't want other people's parts inside of me. I want my own.
     Edward Abbey
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 00:31

And no, I would not accept a transplant. I don't want other people's parts inside of me. I want my own.

I won't hold it against you if you change your mind the day that you actually are in a situation like that. Smile

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 01:21
Being a self-confessed typical armchair ethics commitee, I would gladly offer my organs if I died to help someone else live, the whole bodily sanctity thing to me is a load of bullsh1t, if you're dead you're dead, don't be some damn greedy! But, I haven't got around to getting an organ donor card, which makes me think..If People like me, who would gladly give and receive organs should the situation arise are not motivated enough to put that conviction in writing, then yes, put them on the assumed 'yes' category. If someone feels so strongly as to not donate, the let them come forward and proclaim it, and as Northman said, let them be ineligable for transplants themselves.

Adalwolf, if, heaven forbid a member of your close family became ill, would you not wish to do all in your power to help that person..Would you be ethically and otherwise against an organ transplant that would save your loved ones life? I would assume not. It is only when we ourselves are placed personally in a situation where personal foibles and notions go out the window and real life or death decisions have to be made that we can truly decide where our priorities lie.

Janus, you earlier said that governments could make it harder and harder to get off the donor list, as if it is some sort of conspiracy afoot..Not to take you out of context, but hey, the government conspiring to save lives sounds like something I can live with..!
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 02:38
Originally posted by Northman

However, I wonder how many no-sayers actually would say no to recieve an organ to save their own life, or the life of one of their children.
There is a word for that, isn't there?

While I am undecided on donating my own organs. I certainly don't want anybody else's organs.
This maybe-sayer would refuse an organ to save my own life.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 03:14
I'd have to say that it's truly the right thing to do to be a donor. Sure, you can be buried "intact," but you could help someone else live if you donate. What's the sense in taking it with you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>