Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

interesting customs of your country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: interesting customs of your country
    Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 06:48

Tell us about them!

Some of Bulgarians are:

Nestinarstvo -  or barefoot people who dance on embers with the icon of Sv. Bogorodica (St. Virgin Mary)

Kukeri - they pursue the bad!!

With this masks they want to scare the bad spirits. The kuker have one leader which lead them through the village and at the end they kill the bad on megadana /a place where long time ago on every holly day Bulgarians were meeting, dancing, celebrating/

Martenica: The end of winter

Zagovezni - people jump over fire for luck and health

Edited by tzar
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 13:46
German customs? Apart from starting World Wars?

Lederhosen!

Grown up men in tight, short leather trousers who drink lots of beer and then start to sing or yodel and slap each other on the thighs.(Very suspect....)

One reason I left the country!

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 13:58
 Wow they look really drunk and have great  fun!!!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 15:06

Originally posted by Komnenos

German customs? Apart from starting World Wars?

Lederhosen!

Grown up men in tight, short leather trousers who drink lots of beer and then start to sing or yodel and slap each other on the thighs.(Very suspect....)

One reason I left the country!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Lederhosen are NOT!!!!! German, they're a Bavarian (and Tyrolean)custom...seriously, no other German tribe can be dumb enough to wear that crap.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 16:07
- eating cheese
- eating 'drop'
- eating 'boerenkool met worst'
- eating out of a wall
- making fun out of Belgians
- making fun out of Germans
- making fun out of muslims (a very recent custom)
- riding bicycles
- stealing bicycles
- buying stolen bicycles
- blaming Germans for stealing bicycles

customs that are not Dutch (any more):
- being tolerant
- wearing clogs
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 16:24
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

- eating out of a wall

Do you mean those vending maschines at railway stations that dispense frikandel special and other highlights of the Dutch cuisine?
One of the greatest inventions of mankind!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 16:39
Originally posted by Temujin

Lederhosen are NOT!!!!! German, they're a Bavarian (and Tyrolean)custom...seriously, no other German tribe can be dumb enough to wear that crap.

Apart from my local Riflemen Association.

There just about to shoot at a wooden eagle,after they put the wreath at the local war memorial.The one who knocks it down, becomes the "Riflemen King" with a golden chain and then they all drink lots of beer and start to sing and slap each others backs.......

The second on the left is me!

Only joking!

Edited by Komnenos
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 16:50
as you can see, there is the coat of arms of Hessia in the background...Bavarians and Hessians are the German rednecks, no need to say more...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 17:06
Midsummer, raising a big stick and dancing silly ring dances around it (same is done with the Christmas tree BTW). This symbolizes new life (human as well), the rebirth of the soil and its refertilization - not much fantasy is needed to come up with what the actual stick represents. The Church tried to ban it, but no-one cared and its still the number one holidady. Lots of old folklore around. The major task is to get laid, and failing that, get drunk.

Mocking ze French! The silliest of silly dances is that to the song Sm grodorna (the Little Frogs), a French-mocking legacy of the Napoleonic wars that somehow stuck and now represents something very Swedish. Few actually now it's origins though.

Lucia procession.
Somehow St Lucia of Siciliy, patron saint of Syracuse, ended up the only celebrated saint in Protestant Sweden. In some peculiar combination of pagan and Catholic rites, she is celebrated on December 13th as the bringer of light (connected with Midwinter).

Ice bathing. Usually you have a sauna nearby. And booze. You sauna-bath, hole-in-the-ice-bath, sauna bath, etc, till everyone give up.

This is the only Swedish competitor in some Finnish ice bath competition (Finns have the most weird sports, like 'throw with small lady', 'mud football', 'wife-carrying', etc).

edit: found a more solemn one, as part of army training.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 17:12
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Lucia procession.
Somehow St Lucia of Siciliy, patron saint of Syracuse, ended up the only celebrated saint in Protestant Sweden. In some peculiar combination of pagan and Catholic rites, she is celebrated on December 13th as the bringer of light (connected with Midwinter).

They look somewhat like the KKK
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 17:15
Part 3 in the series:

"Fat German men in stupid costumes"

The Board of Directors of the local Carneval Association, getting drunk........

Edited by Komnenos
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 17:15

You mean the butt-boys*? Well, dunno where the costumes come from, but they're "Staffan the stableman"'s boys (Stefanos was some martyr killed by Herodes, don't ask me what he's doing there. Or santa and helpers. just some conglomeration of traditions I suspect.).

* really "star-boys", but the ludicrous costumes and close of sounds (stjrngosse-stjrtgosse) makes that an inevitable name.

edit: just saw, that Lucia and her maids are cheating, they're supposed to be naked under the gowns, a fact which made the whole thing at least a little interesting when we were forced to it in school (in fact the processions mostly takes part in the schools).

Edited by Styrbiorn
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 18:31

You fellow citizens are forgetting the weirdest of all

Sinterklaas

Well it's too weird, just look it up if you're interested... a hint, it involves black painted people throwing little pieces of spiced biscuit all over the place, led by some Saint - Odhin hybrid  Oh, and he's the guy Coca cola based Santa on

Whatever you do, don't
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 18:46
I like the idea behind sinterklaas, it takes the pressure of real christmas.
Zwarte piet is wierd though, so much redundant symbolism dunped ontop of each other, from fear of the moor, spanish soldiers, regarding africans as kids, and so on.
Still, a good laugh to see visitors to the Netherladns try and process what it is they are seeing.
Arrrgh!!"
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 02:39

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Lucia procession.

Look the second person left on Santa (the girl with red hat)! Don't you think she has made a strange physiognomy? And this one with the candlestick on the head what is her role?

Edited by tzar
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 04:23
i believe she is supposed to be Lucia.Last time i was part of this Lucia thing was when i was in kindergarten so i don't remember much.
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 04:43

Originally posted by Komnenos

Part 3 in the series:

The Board of Directors of the local Carneval Association, getting drunk........

Are you German? Or Germans just are your weakness

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 05:06
Originally posted by tzar

Are you German? Or Germans just are your weakness

I am actually German... and they are my weakness too!
So I am allowed to make jokes about them, but feel free to contribute........
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 05:16
Part 4 in the series:

This is not, as you might expect the annual convention of the German Waiters Union, but the local Men's Choir,
tough sinewy men who roam the valleys of Rhine and Mosella and terrorise locals and tourists with their close harmony singing......(Anyone knows where this is quoted from?)

Edited by Komnenos
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 05:24
Part 5 in the series:

"Fat German men ( and women) in even more ridiculous costumes"

This is priceless!
The local re-enactment group depicting a typical scene from medieval Germany street life.
Please note the traffic sign in the background!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>