Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongolian Script

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongolian Script
    Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 08:50
I remember once either watching a documentary or reading somewhere about the Mongolian writing script in that it was the only script that went from inside from the center and then out in a sort of a spiral. But when I looked it up on wikipedia I did not see any hint of that type of script:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script

So was there an older script that the mongols used that used to spiral outwards from the center of a writing page rather than the traditional left to right, right to left and up/down way that most other symbolic and phonetic languages are written? Confused
Sukhbaatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sukhbaatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 21:02
Reading it inside to out in a spiral? That's gonna make your eyes dizzy reading books or studying in class Confused Not to mention you would be too busy turning the book in circles just to read the darn thing.

Never heard of such a thing
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 07:19

Found a picture of it, perhaps this is what it looks like?

Found another picture, but this one may just be art:

And here it is presented as mongol calligraphy:

http://www.inkway.mn/english/mongolcalligraphy.htm

The folded type of Mongolian script has circled, square and spiral patterns. Mongolian word “Ulzii” meaning “good fortune” written in folded spiral patterns.

Found what looks almost identical to the first picture here:

Poem “Mongolian language” by academician Byamba Rinchen lettered by Jalair Dovdon Batbayar under the calligraphic name “Light of wisdom”   

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 13:07
That sounds impractical. Are you sure this is not just some artistic device applied to give certain texts a novel presentation?

From what little I know of this, I seem to recall that the Mongol script was based on the script developed by the Uyghurs, so you could probably look at Uyghur texts to get a feel of what written Mongolian would look like, and if the Uyghurs also wrote from the centre out.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 17:18
It could just be artistic calligraphy and these pictures are the only representation of this spiral script I have ever seen. The only reason I made the thread was because I wanted to make sure there was no rare forgotten proto-mongolian civilization and language which had a writing system that spiraled outwards from the center.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2008 at 17:25
It just looks stylised rather than standard. You could do that with any script.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2008 at 09:01
Mongolian script is not spiral it is usually written in the order from the top to the bottom from left to write.

There could be a lot of unusual things about Mongolian Uighur script calligraphy but it's rather common for the art of calligraphy in general and there are a lot of similar things in Chinese and Arabic calligraphy which in fact influenced the former.
Σαυρομάτης
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2008 at 20:48
it's a form of caligraphy if I'm not mistaken

it's pure for artistic apeal
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2014 at 01:09
Originally posted by maqsad

I remember once either watching a documentary or reading somewhere about the Mongolian writing script in that it was the only script that went from inside from the center and then out in a sort of a spiral. But when I looked it up on wikipedia I did not see any hint of that type of script:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script

So was there an older script that the mongols used that used to spiral outwards from the center of a writing page rather than the traditional left to right, right to left and up/down way that most other symbolic and phonetic languages are written? Confused

Looks like another attempt at historic revision.

The Mongols originally had no writing. I believe that it was under Ogedeis Khanate, that the Mongols started to adopt Chinese Culture, including, for some, the dress, art and writing.

But the Mongol script, as used today, as I understand it, was adopted from the Uyghurs.

Edited by toyomotor - 12-Feb-2014 at 21:57
 Post Reply Post Reply