Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uyghurs Linage , Tree & Tribes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uyghurs Linage , Tree & Tribes
    Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 23:07

Originally posted by Forgotten

- Can Anyone Tell Me What Is The Real Meaning Of "Uyghur" i Read That Its "United" But In Other Source i Read That Its Like "Fast Warrior Or Falcon Who Can Strike The Enemy So Fast ?

The meaning of Uyghur is clear from the word itself and from the historical documents. 

Uyghur=Uy + Oghur

Uy: ally, come together (Oghuzkhan legend, and historical unification of the Eastern Tura tribes under the banner of Uyghur, support this claim) as the meaning of this root verb in Turkic. 

Uyushmaq: come together
Uyushma: union

Oghur=Oghuz (Tura tribes who used the term after the great king Oghuzkhan, refered to as Batur Tenriqut of the Huns. )

The second explanation came from Mehmud Qashqeri, who wrote that when Alexander the Great came to Uyghur land, he was surprised by these people who could shoot the arrows to the behind as presicely as they do to the front on the horse back, and said that these people don't depend on others, and came the name. This seemed to lack any linguistical and historical backup.  

- Huns -> Gaoche -> Tiele -> Uyghurs ? Is That Right ? Can ANyone Write For Me The Linage Or Tree For The Uyghurs ?

It's more or less correct. For me Huns were just one of the Tura tribes, when they came to power, all the other tura tribes became known as Huns as a tradition in the steppe confederacy. 

- Its Written That Nine Turkic Tribes Or More Than That United And This is Where The Uyghurs Came From , What Are The Names Of Those Tribes ?

- How Many Uyghur Tribes ? If ANyone Can List Thier Names For Me Please ? Famouse Uyghur Tribes ?

Uyghur tribes varied in different time period. Six, fifteen, nine, ten also eleven etc.  Uyghur monuments mentioned nine Oghuz, ten Uyghur tribes, refering to inner core tribes and outer tribes.   The following document gives quite detailed info:

Xintangshu, 142, Huihu zhuan

回纥,其先匈奴也,俗多乘高轮车,元魏时亦号高车部,或曰敕勒,讹为铁勒。其部落曰袁纥、薛延陀、契苾羽、都播、骨利干、多览葛、仆骨、拔野古、同罗、浑、思结、斛薛、奚结、阿跌、白,凡十有五种,皆散处碛北。

Translation:

Huihe (Uyghur), ancesters were Xiongnu (Hun). Used to ride on high wheeled carts, Yuanwei period also called as Gaoche (Qanqil), or Chile, or Tiele ( Tura). Tribes are: Yuanhe (Oghuz),  Xueyantuo (sir tardush), Qibiyu (Chibni), Dubo, Guligan (Quliqan), bugu (Bulghar?), Bayegu (Bayirgur), Tongluo (Tongra), Hun (Hun),  Sijie,  Huxue (hazar?), Xijie,  Adie (Adiz), Bai ?.  All fifteen tribes, all live in the north of the desert.

In the same book accounting the second Uyghur kingdom period, the following information was given:

九姓者,曰药罗葛,曰胡咄葛,曰啒罗勿,曰貊歌息讫,曰阿勿嘀,曰葛萨,曰斛嗢素,曰药勿葛,曰奚牙勿。药罗葛,回纥姓也,与仆骨、浑、拔、野古、同罗、思结、契苾六种相等夷,不列于数,后破有拔悉蜜、葛逻禄,总十一姓,并置都督,号十一部落。

Nine family names are: Yaoluoge (Yaghlaqar or yaghlaghur), Huduoge (Qutoghur), Tuluowu (Turaghur), Mogexiqi (?), Awudi (Adiz), Gesa(Hazar),  Huwasu(Qughorsu), Yaowuge (Yaghma), Xiyawu (Sarghur?). Yaghlaqar is Uyghur family name. equal with Bugu, Hun, Bayirghur, Tongra, Sijie and Qibni six tribes, not to mention. Later defeated Bosimi (basmil) and Geluolu (qarluq), all became eleven names, and established governer of provinces, called eleven tribes.

- Uzbeks And Yugurs Came From Uyghurs , Who Else ? Bulgar , Magyar , Khazar Or Hungar ?

Uyghur confederation was later than the Bulghar, On oghur etc western Oghur (Tura) tribes migration.  They were part of Oghur(Oghuz) tribes as Uyghur were also.

Edited by barbar - 17-Jan-2008 at 23:11
Either make a history or become a history.
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 05:22
Originally (when they still lived in Mongolia) there were 9 or 10 Uyghur tribes. During the Orkhon empire period the main Uyghur tribes were the Ediz and Yaglaqar. The Ediz were in power when the empire fell. I think the early Karluks may have also been considered part of the Uyghur confederacy, along with some other absorbed tribes like the Bayirku.

The Chinese name one Uyghur tribe as Mo-ko-hsi-ch'i, but I'm not sure what that translates into.

Edited by Snafu - 21-Dec-2007 at 05:24
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:58
Uyghur, at least in my dialect, more accurately means "gather."  The word 'uyghur' that is in every day use does not convey that idea at all. Of course, the full meaning of words do change over time....

Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Forgotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 09:41

- Can Anyone Tell Me What Is The Real Meaning Of "Uyghur" i Read That Its "United" But In Other Source i Read That Its Like "Fast Warrior Or Falcon Who Can Strike The Enemy So Fast ?

- Huns -> Gaoche -> Tiele -> Uyghurs ? Is That Right ? Can ANyone Write For Me The Linage Or Tree For The Uyghurs ?

- Its Written That Nine Turkic Tribes Or More Than That United And This is Where The Uyghurs Came From , What Are The Names Of Those Tribes ?

- How Many Uyghur Tribes ? If ANyone Can List Thier Names For Me Please ? Famouse Uyghur Tribes ?

- Uzbeks And Yugurs Came From Uyghurs , Who Else ? Bulgar , Magyar , Khazar Or Hungar ?
 Post Reply Post Reply