Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crocodile vs Shark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What animal would win a duel, a Saltwater Crocodile or a Great White?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
7 [63.64%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crocodile vs Shark
    Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 03:27
Yes, but that shark appears to be less than a metre long and thus not a Great White. It is also stranded in a mud wallow. Though the crocodile could defeat a shark of any size in this environment, that video doesn't show that a croc could beat a great white in general. I'm still going with the White Shark.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 03:46
As I said in an earlier post, no White Shark matter has been discovered in a crocodile's stomach. I agree with the other terms you have stated, as it was not an "even" playing feild. There was a Saltwater Crocodile sighted off the coast on India that was 27 feet long, even larger than a full-grown White Shark. Though this was rare, other male crocodiles may grow up to 24 feet in length. Do you think this gives the crocodile a slight advantage in that respect?
PS: I think the greatest length of a White Shark is 17-20 feet in length.
What is the officer problem?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 03:53
I'll do a complete analysis later on, but for now:

Saltwater Crocodile Crocodylus porosus
Weight: 1200kg
Length: 700cm
Speed: 15mph

Great White Shark Carcharodan carcharias
Weight: 3000kg
Length: 600cm
Speed: 25mph
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 04:02

I have a hard time agreeing with your speeds. The Saltwater Crocodile can swim as fast as 18 mph, and the Great White is a little slower than you posted, around 20 mph, although I may be incorrect.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 04:08
Speeds are one of the most ambiguous and arbitrary aspects of animals. Virtually every book and website has different speeds attributed to animals. I'll look at a number of sites and books then average the speeds for my analysis. I'm still working on my gorilla vs. bear one at the moment.
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 02:51
Uhm, any of you aware that the hypothetical battle being discussed here is the subject of the official logo of the city of Surabaya in eastern Java of Indonesia?  Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surabaya#Etymology and http://www.surabaya.go.id/eng/about.php?page=surabaya

Sura and baya are terms for shark and crocodile respectively.

Official%20logo%20of%20the%20city%20of%20Surabaya,%20Indonesia

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 03:02

That has to be the most interesting thing I have heard of in quite awhile. Thanks for sharing snowybeagle. I looked at both of the sites and discovered that Surabaya worshiped both the crocodile and shark equally.

Question: Was there a victor in this battle between the two most powerful animals?

Ill put the two sites on the topic post if you dont mind Smile

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 13-Dec-2007 at 03:02
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 06:08
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

Question: Was there a victor in this battle between the two most powerful animals?
I also tried to find out the answer to that question but nothing.
The lore of that battle seems to be metaphorical, and could be interpreted in several ways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12