Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the Moors who ruled Iberia.
    Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by Reginmund

Yes, to some extent, as there has been a great deal of contact across the Mediterranean. However, the Mediterranean also works as a barrier between people, and I wouldn't go as far as saying the southern Spanish and Italians are the same people as the North Africans biologically. Sure, some might be indistinguishable from the other, but you find certain phenotypes in Spain and Italy that are rarely found in North Africa, and vice versa. You will find characteristics among the North Africans that are similar to those of their neighbouring peoples in the south and east, Negroid and Semitic features that is, whereas in Spain and Italy you will find characteristics similar to that of their neighbours in the north, such as lighter hair and blue eyes. Semitic and Negroid features are however extremely rare in Italy and Spain, just as Nordic features are rare in North Africa. From my own experience (I've been to both Italy and Spain for extended periods) I'd say the further south you go in Italy and Spain the more people generally resemble North Africans (especially Sicily and Andalucia), whereas the further north you go the more they resemble Nordics. Italy is in my experience especially diverse; you find blondes, redheads and brunettetes as well as people with black hair.

Nowadays, due to popuation movement and mixing in the recent decades, I wouldn't say that there is any visible physionomical difference among Spaniards from region to region.
It is a racial stereotype that Galicians are descended from Celts and Andalusians from Berbers and Arabs. Most Galicians have dark hair and olive skin just like the Andalusians; and there are also blonds in Andalusia, although natural blonds in Spain are rare.

Physionomy is a result of adaptation to climate: the physical differences among the native people from Northern Europe to Sub-Saharan Africa is a "gradual" shift without any sharp boundaries: the further south, the darker the people. The same applies from Western Europe to East Asia.

The 19th century racial concept of distinct races divided by sharp boundaries doesn't hold water.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 23:59
I agree completely and I wasn't trying to support this 19th century concept, quite the opposite actually. It is indeed a gradual shift from north to south, due to adaptation to the climate without any sharp boundaries, as you say, and this is exactly why there are certain physionomical traits in Spain which are rare in Spain while more common in Morocco - the closer you get to Morocco the more common these traits will be, and vice versa, the further away from Morocco you go the less common they will be.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 00:16
Yeap. That's the concept of cline.

It is a concept very hard to explain, though, to people that wants to divide mankind in three rigid groups.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 00:41

How many Ibers and Visigoths actually converted to Islam after the Arabic conquest of Iberia?

What percent of the Muslim population of Moorish kingdoms of Al Andalus did the form?

Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 01:16
Originally posted by Sarmat12

How many Ibers and Visigoths actually converted to Islam after the Arabic conquest of Iberia?

What percent of the Muslim population of Moorish kingdoms of Al Andalus did the form?

Most of the people of Cordoba were converted to Islam, with the exception of a small minority called Mozarab, which were Christians that accepted the Muslim rule. Some Chirstians escaped to the north, though.
I would say the largest majorities of Al-Andalus were just regular Spaniards, with some immigrants and the ruling elite that was of foreign origin.

The fact that the Spanish language remained in place is a very good proof that most of the people were still the ancient Spaniards of pre-muslim times. In fact, even though Arab was the official language of Al-Andalus for seven centuries, Arab didn't influenced the grammar of Spanish at all, which is still a derivated of Latin rather than anything else.

After the Reconquist, they were converted back to Christiany, with the exception of same few that look ended abroad, mainly in the Maghreb.

Edited by pinguin - 10-Dec-2007 at 01:21
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 04:38
This is very interesting. I wonder if the Spanish language in Cordoba, was somehow different from the language spoken in the north?

I mean may be there was more substantial Arabic influence? And also did Muslim in Andalus continued to use Latin script for Spanish or they switched to Arabic script?

Edited by Sarmat12 - 10-Dec-2007 at 04:38
Σαυρομάτης
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 04:54
During what period? During the time of the Caliphate, and during the subsequent Islamic entities Arabic was the norm among all three religious groups. There were complaints among the clergy against young Christian men imitating the Arabic poetry and language.

Thereafter in the I Catholic Monarchs period Arabic became more localized within the home and Latin script was used in every day life. Private copies of Arabic literature including copies of the Qu'ran were still in private and confidential circulation though.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 08:47

This is very interesting. I wonder if the Spanish language in Cordoba, was somehow different from the language spoken in the north?

I mean may be there was more substantial Arabic influence? And also did Muslim in Andalus continued to use Latin script for Spanish or they switched to Arabic script?

Cordoban Spanish does have unique characteristics, as does Andalusian Spanish as a whole; but not necessarily due to more Arabic loan words - it is more the accent that marks it apart: like omitting the "s"s at the end of the words and the "t"s in the middle.
In modern Castillian Spanish there are between 4000-5000 Arabic loan words: basically every word that begins with "Al..."

Alfombra - carpet
Almohada - pillow
Alcanterilla - sewer
Alcazar - castle, fort
The word for "I hope...." is "ojal", which basically stems from
"hope that Allah...."

On the other side of the penninsula in Galicia, Asturias, and Basque Country, that had never been colonised by Moors, the native population have retained their ethnic language distinct to Castillian Spanish.
"Galician" is a separate Latin language with Celtic loan words, very close to Portuguese
"Bable", which was spokenin Asturias, is Celtic, but is today out of use.
"Euskera", which is spoke in the Basque country, has unknown origins.

Regarding the percentage of Visigoth and Hispanic converts, no one has made an estimation, but a rather significant part of the Visigoth aristocracy did adopt Islam..., and subsequently became "Moors".
Back in those days Islam was relatively tolerant than Christianity in that they did not impose their religion on anyone, only offering lower taxes as to encourage converts.

In most cities in the territory of Al-Andalus the 3 religions lived side by side, but their percentages varied from place to place. Crdoba was predominantly Muslim but with an influential Jewish community. Toledo, on the other hand, remained mostly Christian, but Muslims still played an important role.
Not all Muslims and Christians were homogenous either. Among Christians there were the "Mozarabs", who had lived under Muslim influence and subsequently adopted many Arabic customs into their everyday life such as language, food, costume, architecture. To the Christians from the north they might have looked more Muslim than Christian in outward appearance.

The relatively harmonial coexistence of the 3 religions came to an end in the 10th century when a new wave of Berber migrants arrived in the peninsula. As recent converts themselves, they adopted a more fundamentalist approach to religion and began persecuting Christians and Jews. Everything went downhill ever since.

Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 17:55
You may find liguistic differences between North and Southern Iberia mostly in accent. Southern accent usually "eats" the final sylabs and they also "merge" words one into another.
Although I understand and speak both Portuguese and Spanish, it is sometimes hard for me to understand the accent from Algarve or Andalucia. The same doesn't happen with people from Central or Northern Iberia (eg Lisboa, Coimbra, Madrid, Vigo, etc.).

Edited by Sikander - 11-Dec-2007 at 00:00
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 18:52

Spanish language is diffrent in every part of Spain and latin America.  E.g. Andaluses often cut ends of words.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by Sikander

You may find liguistic differences between North and Southern Iberia mostly in accent. Southern accent usually "eats" the final sylabs and they "merge"

Sorry i have not read Your postEmbarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 19:01
Originally posted by Majkes

Spanish language is diffrent in every part of Spain and latin America.  E.g. Andaluses often cut ends of words.

Indeed, but not by much. I would say that the distance between Andalucian and Argentinean is smaller that between Texan and Australian English, for example.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 19:58
Originally posted by pinguin

It is a concept very hard to explain, though, to people that wants to divide mankind in three rigid groups.

I'd rather say it is a most simple and logical concept which can be explained even to a child, the only reason it is hard to explain to these people you mention is that they simply don't want to understand it. Sometimes man finds the illusions he create more appealing than the real world.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 20:49
Speaking of the Moors...

Does anyone know what tactics they used in battle? And what types of troops they used?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 23:38
Regarding tactics and so, it depended on the sort of army or period we're talking about.

The early armies mostly had Berber light infantry and cavalry, plus Arab cavalry which belonged to the tribal Jund. The tactics were probably the same as the Arabs used in the Middle East.
The Almoravids and Almohads used an even stronger body of close-order infantry who used spears as pikes in order to keep the enemy at bay. Infantry was thus used as a human wall where cavalry could reassemble, reorganize and strike, and served to counter enemy cavalry charges.
Light cavalry was paramount in Moorish armies and Berber cavalry was excelent in that role. Heavy cavalry was mostly Arab or saqaliba" ("slavic", ie, European slaves).
So, the tactic consisted in arrassing the enemy, retreating behind the "human wall", and so on until the enemy became eroded when a final cavalry charge would deliver the coup de grace.

By the times of the 2nd Taifas, Andalusian armies also had strong heavy cavalry, apparently copied from their northern neighbours, but this was short lived and due to a constant influx of Berber mercenaries and voluntiers, Moroccan light tactics prevailed.

Finaly, the Grenadines, confined to a mountainous territory, trusted in huge numbers of crossbowmen and light cavalry in order to control the narrow passes that run through Sierra Nevada and similar ranges on the north of the Nasiri kingdom. They kept advanced watch outs and when a Castilian raiding party entered one of those passes the Grenadines would trapp the invaders and forced them to leave.

Edited by Sikander - 10-Dec-2007 at 23:56
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 00:12
Regarding Calvo's last statements, one also bear in mind that many, if not most of the Andaluzian population spoke the Ladino, a Romance language, not the Arab.
The Arab language was reserved to the urban elites, those being either Arab (Yemeni, Syrian, etc.) or well to-do muladin (converts) who looked for social promotion (there is a sort of complaint by a Mozarabic scholar or bishop where he said that the young Mozarabs prefered to read and write in Arab - the language of culture in al-Andaluz - than in Latin, the language of the Church, of the Christians).
As for the illiterate Berbers, poor fellows, after being used as spear fodder for years they would then be given the poorest tracks of soil to harvest. For that reason they rebelled lots of times, the first rebelion in around 760AD (less than 50 years after the invasion). I suppose they never learned propper Arab... and a few centuries latter learned some Portuguese or Spanish and became the inhabitants of Algarve and Andalucia... with their particular accent Wink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 01:17
Excelent comment, Sikander!
I just would like to complement some information.

Regarding Calvo's last statements, one also bear in mind that many, if not most of the Andaluzian population spoke the Ladino, a Romance language, not the Arab.

Interesting!

Actually, the language of the Sephardite Jews is also called Ladino. It is obvious there is a link there.
Besides, just as a comment, I should add that during the Middle Ages, particularly in Al-Andalus, Spanish was not only written with the Latin Alphabet, but also with the Arabic and Hebrew alphabets.

The Arab language was reserved to the urban elites, those being either Arab (Yemeni, Syrian, etc.) or well to-do muladin (converts) who looked for social promotion (there is a sort of complaint by a Mozarabic scholar or bishop where he said that the young Mozarabs prefered to read and write in Arab - the language of culture in al-Andaluz - than in Latin, the language of the Church, of the Christians).

Yes. All the government was run in Arabic, but the masses spoke Spanish.

As for the illiterate Berbers, poor fellows, after being used as spear fodder for years they would then be given the poorest tracks of soil to harvest. For that reason they rebelled lots of times, the first rebelion in around 760AD (less than 50 years after the invasion). I suppose they never learned propper Arab... and a few centuries latter learned some Portuguese or Spanish and became the inhabitants of Algarve and Andalucia... with their particular accent Wink

Indeed.
People don't known that Berbers in Spain (the Moors, actually) were at the bottom of the social scale. Arabs and Middle Eastern were at the top, together with the local upperclass that become Muslim. Then follow the intellectuals, accountants, doctors etc. that were usually Jews, Middle Easterns and even priests, and in parallel the military ranks that also have prefferences for Middle Easterners and local converts. And in all that universe, the Berbers were at the very bottom.

Strange situation for the Berbers that gave its name to a period of Iberian history LOL

omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 05:52
Originally posted by calvo

Physionomy is a result of adaptation to climate: the physical differences among the native people from Northern Europe to Sub-Saharan Africa is a "gradual" shift without any sharp boundaries: the further south, the darker the people. The same applies from Western Europe to East Asia.
The 19th century racial concept of distinct races divided by sharp boundaries doesn't hold water.

I agree completely and I wasn't trying to support this 19th century concept, quite the opposite actually. It is indeed a gradual shift from north to south, due to adaptation to the climate without any sharp boundaries, as you say, and this is exactly why there are certain physionomical traits in Spain which are rare in Spain while more common in Morocco - the closer you get to Morocco the more common these traits will be, and vice versa, the further away from Morocco you go the less common they will be.

Originally posted by pinguin

I'd rather say it is a most simple and logical concept which can be explained even to a child, the only reason it is hard to explain to these people you mention is that they simply don't want to understand it. Sometimes man finds the illusions he create more appealing than the real world.

I disagree. Phenotypes/physical types are not distributed evenly throughout the world like the order of the colours of a newly bought box of crayons. There are Sharp boundaries as well as gradual shifts. We also have to determine if the gradual shifts are the results of environmental adaptations or mixtures between different types of peoples. It all completely depends on the regions and the peoples you focus on, and usually it is a combination of many factors. In my opinion it is an over simplification to explain every thing simply by ''gradual shifts due to adaptation to environment/climate''.

For example

since the west to east of Euroasian continent was mentioned here, I will pick two nations/peoples from the centre point of the continent who are next to each other. Tibetans and Kashmiris. Tibetans are indistinguishable from the Japanese people who are located in the Eastern fringes of the continent, or for that matter the Inuits even more to the east in north America. On the other hand, their neigbours the Kashmiris are close to Europeans. This is a sharp boundary.

In my opinion, human type distribution is very similar to language distribution. (please note that I am not saying thay are parallel to each other). All languages ultimately go back to one languge probably similar to that of the Khoisans' with clicks, just like all modern humans come from one root in Africa. Just as languages branched off to different groups/families, humans branched off to certain different groups and developed certain mutations/characteristics. Then from those branches, humans spread and adapted to their environments within the capacity of the genetic mutations their branch had developed. This is why North east Asians do not have blonde hair and blue eyes like the north Europeans, or why Peruvians are not as dark as Nigerians, or why the south Africans are not as light coloured as Mediterraneans. Gradual shifts certainly happen, but mainly within peoples who stem from the same branch on the big tree of modern humans.
Likewise If you think about languages, The English language in Western Europe does not gradually shift or change to the Japanese language in East Asia. It belongs to a big branch of the human languages called the Indo-European languages. The grammar, vocabularies and sounds change gradually from one language to another within the Indo-European languages, yet when an Indo-European language meets a language from another language family, the gradual change is cut and there is a sharp boundary in grammar, vocabulary and sounds (if we leave out similarities from contacts).

Edited by omshanti - 12-Dec-2007 at 06:04
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 08:17
This is slightly off-topic here, but never mind.
Yes, sharp boundaries do exist in some parts of the world, often due to migrations or geographical isolation. The example of Tibet could be explained by the hostile landscape for human migration.
Other examples of sharp boundaries are like that between a colony of white south africans living within miles from a zulu tribe - a result of transcontinental migration.

After all, human evolution and migration is a complex issue that is still under extensive study. Groups have isolated while a few thousands years, then intermixed with new comers, then migrated thousands of miles, mixed with others... and isolated again...

The point I was trying to make is that 19th century anthropologists attempted to divide mankind into 3 distinct groups with sharp boundaries and no grey areas; and unfortunately this mentality is still in the minds of many (including on this forum), but especially in the U.S. 
They believed that "Nordics" were the white race in its pure form and "Black Africans" were the black race in its pure form, and any deviation from it was considered as "impure".
Even today I often meet people who believe that there was a time when ALL Europeans were blond; and the dark hair of southern Europeans came from African genes.....

The truth is that there is no such thing as "pure race", only that some populations have stayed more isolated than others over the past few thousand years.
And the case that if they remained isolated in the past 5000 years would not necessarily imply that they did not mix pre-historically.

omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 15:21

This is slightly off-topic here, but never mind.
Sorry, you are right, it's off-topic. I'll try to make this post my last one here. Thank you for replying Calvo.

Yes, sharp boundaries do exist in some parts of the world, often due to migrations or geographical isolation. The example of Tibet could be explained by the hostile landscape for human migration. Other examples of sharp boundaries are like that between a colony of white south africans living within miles from a zulu tribe - a result of transcontinental migration.
I think that the example of white south Africans is missing the point a little. First of all it is a racial (if you don't mind me using the word) island with absolutely no continuity around, which simply occured because of a very recent human movement.
I brought up the example of Tibetans and kashmiris because
1: it is located in the centre point of the Eurasian continent (as a response to the statemant that peoples' physical characteristics gradually shift from West Europe to East Asia)
2: it is a sharp boundary/cut between two continuities, meaning that there is a continuity in physical chracteristics/phenottypes from the Kashmiris westward all the way to west Europe, and a continuity east ward all the way to Japan or even the American continent from the Tibetans.
3: There are no records of recent (if any at all) population replacements by foreign peoples from distant lands.

After all, human evolution and migration is a complex issue that is still under extensive study. Groups have isolated while a few thousands years, then intermixed with new comers, then migrated thousands of miles, mixed with others... and isolated again...
Yes it is a complex process that spans almost 200,000 years. Adaptation to enviroment, natural selection, sexual selection, genetic mutations, pure chance as to who with what physical characteristics migrated where, isolations causing the development or disappearance of certain characteristics, genetic bottle-necks, genetic drifts, extinction of certain peoples, success in survival of certain peoples, mixtures of peoples.......etc, all play a part. However there are many clues that can help you determine as to who shares which branch with whom within the tree of the modern humans. In my opinion, The whole process can be thought of like a tree, which is (as I wrote before) very similar to how language groups/families formed.

The point I was trying to make is that 19th century anthropologists attempted to divide mankind into 3 distinct groups with sharp boundaries and no grey areas; and unfortunately this mentality is still in the minds of many (including on this forum), but especially in the U.S.
If you are talking about the classifications based on craniology, as far as I know there were 4 groups rather than 3, and there were grey areas between the groups. Craniology is still very valid in anthropology today. In my opinion, they are ofcource not completely accurate and certainly do not explain everything, but still they can be used as a rough guideline explaining the major branches on the tree of modern humanity. They were not completely right as nobody can be regarding this complex matter, but they were on to something.

Theybelieved that "Nordics" were the white race in its pure form and "Black Africans" were the black race in its pure form, and any deviation from it was considered as "impure".
I really doubt that the actual anthropologists were racists who were hung up on colour (which is only a fraction of physical differences between the peoples in the world) like that. Otherwise they would not have classified Indians or Arabs in the same category as North Europeans, or Australian Aboriginis in a different category from sub-Saharan Africans.

Even todayI often meet people who believe that there was a time when ALL Europeans were blond; and the dark hair of southern Europeans came from African genes.....
Well, they are obviously wrong, but that has nothing do with this.

The truth is that there is no such thing as "pure race", only that some populations have stayed more isolated than others over the past few thousand years.
I guess this depends on the definition of ''race'' . I personally do not have any problem with the words ''race'' or ''pure race'', because depending on the context and definition they can be true as long as they are not used in twisted manupilative ways, just as I do not have any problem with the word ''breed'' or ''pure bred'' in dogs and cats.

And the case that if they remained isolated in the past 5000 years would not necessarily imply that they did not mix pre-historically.
Yes, You are right, however the more ancient the time the more local the mixture would likely to be. Also a mixture of different peoples can produce a single ''race'' overtime too.

Edited by omshanti - 12-Dec-2007 at 16:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>