Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Witchcraft in Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Witchcraft in Scotland
    Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 18:40
I am doing my dissertation on witchcraft in Scotland, it is fascinating and there are so many primary and secondary sources. I just need to narrow the dissertation down to a specific aspect of witchcraft in Scotland. It needs to be something that I could do at least 10.000 words on . I thought about doing the decline of witchraft in Scotland. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 04:54
Moved to the more appropriate Questions & Answers Forum.

Hopefully you get more responses here. Wink
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2012 at 19:18
I did a bit of research on the Scottish witch-hunts for my BA. A man called John Kincaid used very similar methods to Matthew Hopkins 20 years earlier

Edited by Nick1986 - 04-Jun-2012 at 19:54
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 19:14
Scotland's leading witch-hunter was King James VI. En route to Denmark, James blamed the stormy weather on a coven of witches plotting to kill him
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 19:33
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 20:22
Originally posted by Nick1986

Scotland's leading witch-hunter was King James VI. En route to Denmark, James blamed the stormy weather on a coven of witches plotting to kill him
If I remember right, it was James' paranoia, which was well known at the time, that Shakespeare fed off of to gain favour with the new King when becoming James I of England, or might we say Great Britain, by using witches in the plot of his Scottish play (MacBeth).
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 19:08
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

See: http://www.shc.ed.ac.uk/Research/witches/

I've read Goodare's work for my BA. My old supervisor Alison Rowlands is another leading authority on witchcraft, as is Malcolm Gaskill
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 20:54
Yep he knows his stuff.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:24
Here's what i found out about Kincaid: unlike the lawyer's clerk Matthew Hopkins, he was an older man and probably illiterate
Kasubi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Kasubi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 14:40
If you're still stuck on any of this, may I recommend my friend Paul Bennett, who runs The Northern Antiquarian website. He is incredible with etymology and folklore of Scotland and the North of England, and always happy to chat about it. He really is a brilliant source of information. You can also message him via Facebook.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 15:06
Excellent link Kasubi.Thumbs Up If you send a message to Red Clay he might let you advertise it here:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=24
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 09:59
 Post Reply Post Reply