Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThinking of a History Major, or Political Science?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SultanSpirit View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of a History Major, or Political Science?
    Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 13:01
Hello everyone,

I'm considering to change my major to History. I'm very passionate about it since childhood. I'm planning to do academic research later on, or to be active in Public Policy. Speaking of Public Policy; I'm considering political science as an option as well.

I prefer to study history since I think my talents are there. However, being a non-native speaker of English. Some people says its a big challenge [I'm studying in the U.S.] Any opinions?

How about the skills required and learned from a major in history compared with the ones from a political science one?

I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance,

winningstad View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 10:18
Ive pretty much switched from political science to modern history myself. I got tired of the endless theories involved in PC, and find history more "real" in that matter. At least thats how its tought in Norway.

I take it your English will improve rapidly as soon as you start reading tons of English history textbooks!

The skills and approaches between political science and history is very, very different - at least over here. Political science are very hung up in golden rules (laws) that can be applied anywhere, deriving general thesis from each case in contrast to historians. They usually focus more on the special empirical evidence from each event and seek to explain it out from current knowledge.

Baw, hope that made any sense, Im not a native English speaker, as you can tell.

Post Reply Post Reply