Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Huge ancient sea scorpian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Huge ancient sea scorpian
    Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 14:27

With huge claws who needs a stinger?

Scientists find fossil of enormous bug

By THOMAS WAGNER, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

LONDON - This was a bug you couldn't swat and definitely couldn't step on. British scientists have stumbled across a fossilized claw, part of an ancient sea scorpion, that is of such large proportion it would make the entire creature the biggest bug ever. Bigger than you, and at 8 feet long as big as some Smart cars.

The discovery in 390-million-year-old rocks suggests that spiders, insects, crabs and similar creatures were far larger in the past than previously thought, said Simon Braddy, a University of Bristol paleontologist and one of the study's three authors.

"This is an amazing discovery," he said Tuesday.

"We have known for some time that the fossil record yields monster millipedes, super-sized scorpions, colossal cockroaches, and jumbo dragonflies. But we never realized until now just how big some of these ancient creepy-crawlies were," he said.

The research found a type of sea scorpion that was almost half a yard longer than previous estimates and the largest one ever to have evolved.

The study, published online Tuesday in the Royal Society's journal Biology Letters, means that before this sea scorpion became extinct it was much longer than today's average man is tall.

Prof. Jeorg W. Schneider, a paleontologist at Freiberg Mining Academy in southeastern Germany, said the study provides valuable new information about "the last of the giant scorpions."

Schneider, who was not involved in the study, said these scorpions "were dominant for millions of years because they didn't have natural enemies. Eventually they were wiped out by large fish with jaws and teeth."

Braddy's partner paleontologist Markus Poschmann found the claw fossil several years ago in a quarry near Prum, Germany, that probably had once been an ancient estuary or swamp.

"I was loosening pieces of rock with a hammer and chisel when I suddenly realized there was a dark patch of organic matter on a freshly removed slab. After some cleaning I could identify this as a small part of a large claw," said Poschmann, another author of the study.

"Although I did not know if it was more complete or not, I decided to try and get it out. The pieces had to be cleaned separately, dried, and then glued back together. It was then put into a white plaster jacket to stabilize it," he said.

Eurypterids, or ancient sea scorpions, are believed to be the extinct aquatic ancestors of today's scorpions and possibly all arachnids, a class of joint-legged, invertebrate animals, including spiders, scorpions, mites and ticks.

Braddy said the fossil was from a Jaekelopterus Rhenaniae, a kind of scorpion that lived only in Germany for about 10 million years, about 400 million years ago.

He said some geologists believe that gigantic sea scorpions evolved due to higher levels of oxygen in the atmosphere in the past. Others suspect they evolved in an "arms race" alongside their likely prey, fish that had armor on their outer bodies.

Braddy said the sea scorpions also were cannibals that fought and ate one other, so it helped to be as big as they could be.

"The competition between this scorpion and its prey was probably like a nuclear standoff, an effort to have the biggest weapon," he said. "Hundreds of millions of years ago, these sea scorpions had the upper hand over vertebrates backboned animals like ourselves."

That competition ended long ago.

But the next time you swat a fly, or squish a spider at home, Braddy said, try to "think about the insects that lived long ago. You wouldn't want to swat one of those."

___

Edited by Seko - 21-Nov-2007 at 14:30
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 20:12
Ah yes....

Eight feet isn't all that big, though. While it's longer than a human is tall, eight-foot sea scorpions aren't too horrifying compared to fourteen-foot sharks or thirty-three-foot squid.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 20:38
Still pretty intimidating. You could endlessly scale things up to compare a 14foot shark to a 10metre shark etc etc
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 03:02
This is true. Something covered in chitin with huge claws and compound eyes is somehow more frightening than a big fish. It looks much more...Alien.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 12:05
I wonder what it tasted like Tongue
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 21:34
Probably revolting Tongue

Something like this could only survive in the sea - when you have an exoskeleton there's only so far you can go in terms of size. This guy is just huge though - thanks Seko.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 01:42
I think one of the explanations for the size of prehistoric lifeforms has been that the atmosphere back in those days was considerably richer in oxygen than it is today.  This enabled certain animals (such as dinosaurs) to reach sizes on land far greater than anything currently alive.  It might explain why we had dragonflies the size of a raven at one time, and certainly our giant sea scorpion.

The biggest arthropods alive today are certainly found in the oceans.  Some of our sea crabs are as big as that dragonfly once was.  And they're tasty, too.  So don't rule out something like that being a delicacy just yet (if they were still around); they'd just be a little tougher to chew on than your average crab...
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 19:19
in its day it was a beast, stealth bomber of the seas, the seas have always been more creative than the lands
long live the king of bhutan
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 13:02
Very interesting, I read something on this before too:

5-Foot Giant Water Scorpion Once Roamed U.K. Shores

November 30, 2005

"If you think scorpions are scary, try this on for size: a six-legged water scorpion the size of a human. Newly discovered tracks reveal that about 330 million years ago, just such a creature lumbered along the riverbanks in present-day Scotland. The fossilized track is the largest of its kind ever found and shows these now extinct creatures could walk on land, according to Martin Whyte, a geologist at the University of Sheffield in England."

Read more here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1130_051130_giant_scorpion.html

Edited by Tyranos - 02-Dec-2007 at 13:03
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 03:31
So, basically the world's largest lobster dinner? YUM
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 03:58
Nope, this thing's an arachnid, not a crustacean. So more like eating the world's largest spider or scorpion dinner.  Yuck.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 06:55
Apparently, pillbugs are crustaceans.

What do they think this thing ate?

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 17:03
Wooooooo that big, that's too much and you say that what is it comparing to a shark then dear I have been stung 5 times by Scorpions and  I can tell you that everytime I was stung I really had a very bad time, I mean I have also tasted bullet (shoot my own thigh mistakely) and to be honest that was no match to the venom of scorpion specially the black one was so deadly that as long as one week I was having very bad time.

No to know that there used to be that big of them I feel lucky to not be born then. LOL

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 18:47
It's possible, albeit rare, to run into this kind of monsters. Lobsters, as far as we know, have the longest lifespan (There are studies that indicate lobsters to be the key to the secret of immortality) and they don't stop growing. So in theory, a lobster can get 8 m as well... it just takes a long time.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/400-pound-lobster.htm

Join us.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 19:48
True, although they'd attract more attention from predators than other lobsters. A huge lobster would be far more likely in captivity.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 22:00
That is very interesting information pekau. Thanks for sharing!
 Post Reply Post Reply