Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why i am wrong about the Aryan Invasion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why i am wrong about the Aryan Invasion
    Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 18:14
   Yes it is the prime objection against the indigousness of the Aryan however it is not something which a detailed study of the subject can not resolve. So i will answer that now.    
    The names of places and rivers in what is now Pakistan and North Western India have no Dravidian subtratum. It is somewhat anomaly as it is usually the case that the invaders take up the native names of the places which they conquered from the natives. As an example take a look at the huge number of places and river namse in the  USA which have a native american source for example Michigan, Massachusets, Oklahoma, Missisipi etc. Similarly all the four major cites of Spain have arabic names as even if the muslim arabs were not exactly natives but still they did rules Spain for about 700 years from which the next wave of people of Spain took up the administration. Gordoba is arabic Qurtaba, Grenada is arabic Gharnata, barcelona is arabic Bargelona and Madrid is arabic Magrid. If Aryans were invaders then you expect them to adopt at least some native names for the places and rivers of the region which we can then detect as a Dravidian substratum. But no, almost all of the important and chief places of the region have Aryan names.
    Now about the Dravidian substratum in vedic Sanskrit. Now many people are of the opinion that Sanskrit was a composed language. Its very clear set of rules and precise grammer stands in stark contrast to organic langaues which are a lot more ambitious and arbitrary. Now Sanskrit had been for all known history the standard language of northern sub-continent and it was never known to be the native language of any people. We all know about the Harappan civilization however the roots of Harappan civilization stretch very far back into antiquity. Infact each student who is learning Sanskrit is told that the development of Sanskrit took one thousand years after which it was considered complete. Again maybe hinting at the composed rather than the natural nature of the language. Now although the Sanskrit is the closest language to Proto-Aryan that which we know of however there are some features of Sanskrit which are more of a development than some of the other Aryan languages like Greek. Again hinting that although it retains many of the proto-aryan features some of its features hint at a development of the langauge from an earlier existing languages. The pre-harappan culture of Mehrgarh began in the 8th millenium B.C which then flowered into the Harappan civilization. The people living a settled life in those region felt the need for a common language and developed Sanskrit as a result. The language must have had its roots in the languages spoken in that area while still being slightly different from each one them as it may have had absorbed the elements from many of those languages while at the same time having some of its own unique features. As I have said in my earlier post that there may have been some groups of Dravidian people living in the Indus area (read my earlier post on the Brauhi people) and Sanskrit may have taken a few elements from their languages also. But the other Aryan people living in the region and speaking their own organic languages would not have had those Dravidian elements in their languages. When a migration from a region having more than one group of people takes place it does not happen that the migrating party has representatives from all the groups of the region. Rather it usually the case that the migrating party consists of individuals from just a few of the total ethnic groups. And the languages which as a result get transfered from the region are the ones which are the native languages of the people who migrate not all of the languages of the area. I don't think that it is much of a stretch to think that if Aryans were the predominant groups of that area then the people who migrated from there to Europe or Afghanistan were Aryans as most of the people inhabiting that area would be Aryans and these Aryans would be speaking native languages which would not have had a Dravidian substratum.. yet!.

Now the Dravidan elements are almost completely absent in the Rig Veda the earliest of the vedic texts while the Dravidian elements start to creep in the later vedas. The Iranian separation took place at the time of the Rig Veda as the Rig Veda clearly chronicles the conflict between the Iranians and the sub-continentals. And the European migrations may have taken place just a little bit earlier. Now Rig Veda if you try to date it without making the assumption of an Aryan Invasion then it can be dated to at least 4300 B.C. How?. Well there are many arguments which point towards that conclusion however the main and most conclusive evidence being the dating through astronomical references. This is a bit of a complex and convoluted topic which i will discuss in more detail in the coming posts. Right now just know that the Vedic Aryans saw some astronomical phenomena and recorded them in their literature. However with the knowledge of their times they had no way of being able to back calculate these dates form a later date. We can with our modern knowledge back calculate the dates of these phenomena from a later date however that was not the case at those times. The Vedic aryans by their own methods would have arrived at much different dates for the phenomena which they were recording, than the dates which they reported. They had to be present there in person to be able to record the phenomena and give those dates for the phenomena which they reported. And these dates for the texts are much earlier than what is currently thought. One of such an astronomical reference is in the Rig Veda which points to an astronomical phenomena which occurred in 4300 B.C. And also keep in mind that these dates and methodology was given by the mathematical luminary "playfair" and although many criticized his conclusion no one has been able to refute his methodology. And as i said that the Rig Veda clearly chorincles the clash between the Iranians and the Rig Vedic aryans. So the separation between the rig vedic aryans and Iranians must have taken place around 4300 B.C. I think that the European invasions may have taken place earlier. Reason, well there really isn't much mention of in any of the literature of as dramatic an out flux of people as the Eurpean invasions would have required meaning that i really don't know but its just a conjecture. As i have said that the Dravidian substratum is almost completely absent in Rig Veda adn Rig Veda was mistakenably composed in Punjab as it is full of geographic references about the land of Punjab the place of composition of Rig Veda. Now if that is the case then you would expect that the Dravidian elements would be quite visible in the Rig Veda if not in anything else then at least in the names of the places and rivers but that is not the case. All the rivers and places names are of aryan origin. Meaning that when the Rig Veda was composed not only was this area predominantly Aryan but the regions which they were inhabiting was so familiar to them that they had names for those places which were of their own language rather than taking the names from another language to refer to the places which were unfamiliar to them. In fact these Dravidian names should be most plentiful  in the Rig Veda as the invader gradually learns about the Geography of the invaded place and does not have to rely on the geographical expertise of the place of the Natives e.g It is highly unlikely that a place named in the USA will have a native American source or a place named in Spain will have an Arabic source in modern times.

As i have already said that the Austro-Asiatic language family is not native to the sub-continent but rather belongs to the south east asian language family. We have documented proof of most of these south east asian tribes migrating into the sub-continent in medievel times. The older group of Munda also belongs to the Austro-Asiatic group and i think that its not that great a leap of faith if we assume that the Munda people also migrated just like the other Autro-Asiantic group somehwere in the distant but also not so distant past. The Munda people arrived into the subcontinent i think much later than 4300 B.C a time when most of the European and Iranian migrations would have taken place. And also the European invasions must have taken place from the punjab which is right at the opposite end of the sub-continent from where these groups would have entered.   

So when the people of the Indus migrated they would have taken their native languages with them which uptil then would have little Dravidian or Munda substratum. And the people who stayed back would incorporate Dravidian and Munda elements into their languages as time went on as these people were living right next door to them while the European and Iranian branches developed according to their own circumstances. The Iranian and European branches have parted ways about 6500 years ago. That is a lot of time. And all of these languages would have grown apart and incorporated elements which would be absent in the other branches.

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 15-Nov-2007 at 20:26
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 18:37

Originally posted by Kabob1122

Also, there are older attested IE languages than Sanskrit, including members of the Anatolian branch.
How can this be explained by OIT?

The only language of the Anatolian branch which has features older than Sanskrit is Hittite. The language of the Mitannis is very close to Sanskrit. The Hittites were ruling over a non-aryan "Hattic" population. They themselves were heavily  mesopotamized as can be gauged by  theri pantheon of Gods which were basically mesopotamian gods which the Hittites incorporated into their religion. And as for the Hittite language it is very different from all the other aryan languages not just Sanskrit so much so that there had been suggestion that the Hittite should be called a sister of the Aryan languages rather than a daughter one. Also Hittite has been found to be actually simpler than many of the later Aryan languages which is anomaly as it is the daughter languages which are supposed to get simpler with time as the sounds in individual languages become specialized. The most obvious interpretation of all these facts is that the language of the Hittites like themselves mixed heavily with local languages which resulted in the Hittite language not just differing from the other aryan languages but also incorporating elements from other non-aryan languages which in the context of Aryan languages made them seem older than some of the other aryan languages such as Sanskrit.

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 09-Dec-2007 at 17:10
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 19:50
Originally posted by Sander

Bilal, its is a long post but there is no evidende of OIT in it. We need something else to work with.

I know that there is no evidence of OIT in it. I made that post to counter an argument which is frequently raised against OIT. It is my intention in this thread to first answer the objections against OIT and then give my arguments for OIT.

As another has pointed out, there are certain obstacles for the OIT. IE languages must come from somewhere, so if they did not come out of  India than they obviously went to it.

One concept that should be recognized in this discussion is the concept of Soft and hard evidence.  Soft evidence is when something points towards a possible conclusion while hard evidence is something which pretty much proves a conclusion.
    With almost all places where we have any hope of finding any concrete evidence of the origin of the Aryan people in light of these soft evidence being ruled out those places have come into favor where there is very little or bound to be very little evidence for the Aryan people. There is nothing remotely Aryan about Catal  Hyuk (Anatolia) and the only thing Aryan about the Kurgan culture is the horse. There are no signs of a culture having the resources and the demographics for the Aryan Invasions and i sense that eventually Kurgan hypothesis will also be abandoned because there will not be sufficient evidence. And soon experts will have to realize that they need to be mindful of this soft and hard evidence matter. Most of the facts have many interpretation and when you are dealing with time lines of thousands of years and across geographies thousands of miles there are bound to be many facts that when viewed from a certain looking glass would support a certain conclusion. While there will also be many facts which will negate that conclusion. That has been the problem with the Aryan debate because of the politics involved many take up such soft evidence which in a certain way supports a certain conclusion while at the same time ignoring facts which go against that conclusion. As one said about such debate
"are only on a mission to prove what they want to prove"
    The matter of Sanskrit is also such an example of soft evidence. Of course if Sanskrit had all the features of proto-aryan then that would automatically mean that OIT is correct. However just because Sanskrit is not proto-aryan doesn' t mean that OIT is wrong. There are many ways in which this fact can be explained away for OIT. e.g it is a bit of a stretch to think that the aryans speaking proto-aryan suddenly had a vision when the European and Iranian groups were migrating that the aryan group of languages would on day cover a big chunk of the world and felt the need to preserve proto-aryan as a time capsule in Sanskrit. In all likeliness they never had such a vision when the European and Iranian sub-groups were migrating and Sanskrit may be a development which took place much later after the European and Iranian migrations, that is why it is not proto-aryan. And it can also e explained away as that Sanskrit being a composed language had features which were a further development than the native languages of the region which were proto-aryan languages  and when they migrated from that region they took only the native languages and didn't take the elite language as is the case most of the times as when the European powers colonized the world they transferred their native languages of Spanish, Portugese or English and so on while not taking the elite languages of Greek or Latin.
   However the astronomical evidence which i have told you about is hard evidence which supports no other conclusion that the people who mentioned of that phenomena were present there in person on the mentioned date to record those phenomena.
    Here there is also the clash between soft evidence and hard evidence. The Aryan Invasion theory based on many soft evidence dictates that  Aryans came there in about 1500 B.C and rig veda was composed at that time at about 1500 B.C while the hard evidence says that Rig Veda must date back later than 4300 B.C. When there is a clash between hard and soft evidence i think that it is more wise to choose the conclusion of hard evidence over soft evidence. 

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 16-Nov-2007 at 13:14
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 22:03

Very very interesting. I haven't really heard of this theory before, so I'm going to Wikipedia and the library to see what I can dig up. Thanks for renewing my interest in Indo-European origins.Smile

Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 13:24
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

Very very interesting. I haven't really heard of this theory before, so I'm going to Wikipedia and the library to see what I can dig up. Thanks for renewing my interest in Indo-European origins.Smile

If you really are interested in this subject then i suggest that you broaden your horizon. Listen to both sides arguments. That what i have done. However if you restrict your research to only books then i feel that you will get only one side of the story as these books are mainly written in accordance with the AIT as AIT is the mainstream accepted theory and many of these books have arguments for the AIT which are no longer valid. So do some research on the internet as well where you will be able to find arguments for OIT. For example here is a very good book for OIT.
http://koenraadelst.bharatvani.org/books/ait/index.htm

And  if these posts made you curious enough about this subject to investigate on your own then i have done my job. 

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 15-Nov-2007 at 20:18
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 08:16
-The Indus Valley people were a peace loving people and were not ready for the hostile and aggressive aryans-

Yes the people of the IVC were unusually peaceful for their times but that does not mean that they were compleltely unable to defend themselves when the situation required. Peace loving and self negation are two completely different things. Being peace loving means that you don't go loking for a fight and try to solve matters without reverting to violence, self negation means that you lie down yourself to any tom, dick and harry without thinking for your self interests. The IVC had its roots from the 8th millenium B.C. Do you really think that this civilization for about 6500 years faced no outside threat and never felt the need to defend themselves despite living in a region which probably was the most hospitable region in the world for human habitation and was the envy of all. You don't get to be that old without being a bit pragmatic. For people who will see wihtout the assumption that the IVC people were completely sedative there are plenty of signs which tell that the IVC people were mindful of defending themselves and being militaristic when the situation required. Bronze arrow and spear heads have been found from the IVC sites. They had, what was an arrow or a spear, as one of the symbols of their script. They also had the chariot wheel as not just one of the symbols for their script but also a strong cultural motif (chariots are mainly the tools of war). Their cities were heavily fortified. And they had huge citadels looming over their cities one of whose function may have been to thwart attacks on their cities. Chess was also played there obviously meaning that the people were not totally alien to militaristic thought. I think that they were pefectly capable of defending themselves when the situation required.    
    And Dravidians who are supposed to be the peaceful creaters of IVC are not that peaceful themselves either. War  was glorified in ancient tamil poetry and the neolithic sites in South India are full of stone weapons. Kalari pyate the prpogineator of all modern eastern martial arts which is a very violent art form with daggers and swords as weapons also has its roots in the Dravidian culture of Kerala. As mr Koenard Elst said "in the jungle of humanity perfectly peaceful civilizations remain no more than a pipe dream"   

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 09:49
- The Indus Valley Civilization knew of no horse hence it cannot be Aryans-
    The horse was one of the most holy objects of the Aryan culturs and was part of the proto-Aryan culture. But horse did not seem to had occupied such as prominnet position in the Harappan culture and may even have been absent there so IVC cannot be an aryan culture. 
    Now for indiations that it was the indus valley and the indo aryans are the ones which brough the horse to mesopotamia. The Sumerian sign for horse was apparently borrowed from Elamite, which was spoken on the northern (now Iranian) coast of the Persian Gulf, half-way between Sumer and the Indus Valley. The Sumerian word si-si, known in Sumerian since the fourth millennium BC, and the derived Semitic words (Hebrew sUs), were borrowed from Indo-Iranian aSva. The subcontinent's hot and humid climate leads to a very quick decay of organic matter which and that is why we find very little organic remains in the archeological sites and that would be one of the main reasons that why we don't find much organic remains there. As an example of the discrepancy between the actual use ofhorse in a period and its relative paucity  the archeological record consider the situation in Hatinapur. The horse bones excavated from hastinapur in the fiirst milenium B.C make up a very small percentage of bones excavated yet the use of horse in that period is wel known. As an example of the desprepancy between the use of horse ans horse remains consider the fact that now cows are much numerous that horses as future archeologists are bound to observe in their time yet on ceremonial occasions like like rny parades you see a lot of horses but not a single cow. So archeology has confirmed of the situation in Hastinapur where the horses were few in total remains but were very important on riitual occasions as the ones reocorded in the vedas.  And likewise in Vedic culture: From the Vedic texts onwards the horse is symbolic of nobility and is associated with people of status.So, the Vedic attention paid to horses was quite out of proportion with their percentage in the domesticated animal population as horses do not have much use outside of war and transportation and therefpre as result are much less in number when coampared to cattle or even donkies whose daily use is much more widespread. Compared with central asia India was relatively poor in horses, and on top of that, it was by far not as good in preserving what much of horse bones it had, for reasons outlined above.
    Meanwhile, in several Harappan sites remains of horses have been found. Even supporters of the AIT have admitted that the horse was known in Mohenjo Daro, near the coast of the Arabian Sea (let alone in more northerly areas), in 2500 BC at the latest.But the presence of horses and even domesticated horses has already been traced further back: horse teeth at Amri, on the Indus near Mohenjo Daro, and at Rana Ghundai on the Panjab-Baluchistan border have been dated to about 3,600 BC. More bones of the true and domesticated horse have been found in Harappa, Surkotada (all layers including the earliest), Kalibangan, Malvan and Ropar. Recently, bones which were first taken to belong to onager specimens, have been identified as belonging to the, domesticated horse (Kuntasi, near the Gujarat coast, dated to 2300 BC).
    Admittedly, the presence of horses in the Harappan excavation sites is not as overwhelming in quantity as in the neolithic cultures of Eastern Europe. However, the relative paucity of horse remains is matched by the fact that the millions-strong population of the Harappan civilization, much larger than that of Egypt and Mesopotamia combined, has left us only several hundreds of skeletons, even when men sometimes had the benefit of burial which horses did not have.
    The cave paintings in Bhimbetka near Bhopal, perhaps 30,000 years old showing a horse being caught by humans, confirm that horses existed in India in spite of the paucity of skeletal remains. Other cave paintings, so far undated, show a number of warriors wielding sticks in their right hands and actually riding horses without saddles or bridles.
     The Dravidian language families have their own words for horse, Old Tamil ivuLi for wild horse and kutirai for domesticated horse and not borrowed from the language of the Aryans also indicates that horse was very much a known animal in the sub-continent. Partly because of the uncongenial climate, horses must have been comparatively rare in India compred to central asia but they were available.
    And then thequestion arises a to why the horse an animal which was central to all aryan cultures was not show on the seals of  IVC, then for that it may be pointed out that the cows were also not shown on the seals despite cows being very much known to the harappans as the bull was a common motif on the seals. There may have been some taboo on the depiction of the two most scared animals on the seals much like the Islamic taboo on depicting holy people in pictures.          

First, one should note that horses and chariots were introduced into Egypt, China and Sumer it was not accompanied by a radical change of culture, language or population for an entire subcontinent as has been proposed for ancient India. Horseand cahriots are surely an advance but they arenot great of an advance that they are able to completely override all the other advanatges that another people may have. Ancient Egypt and China took on horses and chariots without any break in the continuity of their civilizations. Certainly, ancient India, the largest urban civilization of its time in the world, could have taken on a new horse/chariot culture without having to change everything else as well. Therefore, even if horses or chariots came into India from the outside at some point in time, this is no reason to assume that the language and culture of the region had to change as well.

Second, a study of horse anatomy shows that there were two types of horses in the ancient world that we still find today. There is a south Asian and Arabian type that has seventeen ribs and a West and Central Asian horse that has usually eighteen ribs adn some times 34 and 38 ribs. The Rig Vedic horse, as described in the Ashvamedha or horse-sacrifice of the Rig Veda has thirty-four ribs (seventeen times two for the right and left side).
In the Rig Veda, Book 1, Hymn CLXII verse 18 
The four-and-thirty ribs of the. Swift Charger, kin to the Gods, the slayer's hatchet pierces.
Cut ye with skill, so that the parts be flawless, and piece by piece declaring them dissect them.
    It is highly unlikely that the poet was describing something which was happening in front of his eyes as poets usually compose hymns while idle and through their imagination. And even if they describe something which took place then it usually is that they first witness the event and then later using their verbal imagination describe it in verse. So most probably the poet was not describing something which was taking place in front of his eyes much less that he acually counted the ribs of the horse which he mentioned in his hymn. In all likeliness the rib count which he gave was the number of ribs which the horse which they were familiar with commonly had which in this case is the native indian horse which had 34 ribs as opposed to the central asian variety which has 36 ribs in common cases.
    And chess pieces have been excavated from Lothal in IVC from 2500 B.C. One of these chess pieces is that of horse head obviously representing cavalry. This means that not only the horse was known to the IVC people but its use was so common in their armies that it had its own seperate division.
            So as we have seen here that the much toutd horse evidence is really not all that is made out to be  and is not totally couNter conclusive to OIT.

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 18-Nov-2007 at 09:54
Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 15:41
Un required explanation ...

Sorry Bilal have to be Blunt. People have already suggested you to discuss current relevant theories rather first bringing obsolete AIT and than saying See I told you it  was wrong .

BTW You said that Prakrit was developed by a mix of Tamil and Sanskrit words.

Instead of wasting your time on lengthy posts why don't you first find out ,when  even a little Dravidian  (appox.10%Dravidian ) connection of Brahui was found out by Scholars ,why no body could find Tamil language in Parakrit of northern areas ,which you say is a mix of Sanskrit and Tamil ,most funny and a cornerstone of your hypothesis I have ever read.

Edited by Azat - 18-Nov-2007 at 17:47
Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2007 at 15:49

People for AMT says ,,,,Aryans were in Indus Valley   ....In 1500 BC.

FOR OIT argues much earlier date ,in both case they agree they were here by 1000 BC.

Can any body tell me How do they know that Aryan were here in 1000BC??

Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 03:56
Originally posted by Azat

Un required explanation ...

Sorry Bilal have to be Blunt. People have already suggested you to discuss current relevant theories rather first bringing obsolete AIT and than saying See I told you it  was wrong .

BTW You said that Prakrit was developed by a mix of Tamil and Sanskrit words.

Instead of wasting your time on lengthy posts why don't you first find out ,when  even a little Dravidian  (appox.10%Dravidian ) connection of Brahui was found out by Scholars ,why no body could find Tamil language in Parakrit of northern areas ,which you say is a mix of Sanskrit and Tamil ,most funny and a cornerstone of your hypothesis I have ever read.

Bilal likes to use obsolete terms ( and ideas) like 'invasions' for AMT but he never used 'invasions' for his suggested migrations from India (OIT)

Unfortunately ,  There is still no evidence  presented for his OIT . His ( very lenghty ) postings are full of innovative theories, though. Most theories are inspired by  people that are not taken seriously ( in normal circles ). No wonder  one  gets strange info when  inspired by people like Koenraad Elst ( as  Bilal admitts he is ).   Elst is from the same camp as David Frawley ( calling himself Guru Vamadeva Shastri and teaching Vedic magic , yoga and astrology !! ). Such authors ( often New Age people ) are usually found on sites  with religious or India centric names like Voice of Dharma , Bharatvani ( Koenraad Elst' site ).  Most views of them are not taken seriously. Same counts for people like Jha and Rajaram  with their  'decipherements' of the IVC script. ( btw Bilal claimed to have made big progress , after  3 days of 'deciphering') IVC )

Bilal, those theories crumble everywhere. And often many things are misrepresented. There are no domestic horses found in Indusvalley times. The info you present is distorted.  Why dont you show us an offiial conclusion about this , reached by a wide and modern consensus of scholars? (No seals presented by Rajaram please!! )

'Your' theory about OIT is  simply not credible. If  so, we would see the dravidian and munda substratum  in the other IE languages. And, if you suggest  certain IE groups leaving India  to europe etc , please adress them by their common (acadamic ) name , proto language and material culture, so we can see check  if there is a trail going back to India.  Right now , your groups who left India around 4500 BC seem to be non existing. Nobody in  scholarly field ( always meaning normal of course )knows about which groups you are talking!

Look,  we dont need innovative theories/ ad hoc theories made up to to fit a view .We need theories based on EVIDENCE .

As anybody knows, the greatest  linguitic diversity in IE is far outside India , making India already a bad candidate for  the 'homeland' of IE languages. Also, the other IE langugaes dont show the substratum from the non IE Indian langauges, which Indo Aryan has.  In regard to material culture. The Indo-Iranians can be reckonized by the  domesticated horses and chariots and this is first attested in  the southern  Russian /Central Asian  steppes . This trail goes to India , not viceversa. So linguistics and archeology does not favour a move from India but a move to it. 

About Non- IA names. There are certainly non IA place names, Ganga ( Ganges ) and Kosola beeing 2 of them .  More important , many local plants and animals are non- IA in the rig veda. In other words, a very strange situation for people who lived all their time in India!

No sensible scholar suggests a 4500 BC date for the Rig Veda. there dozens of reasons. To mention  one . in 4500 BC India there were not even Aryan bronze/metal weapons and horse chariots , while the rig veda is full of them! Regarding the latter, a 5 th millium BC Rig Veda would have them 2500 years before they were invented LOL

Such dates and  theories are not to be taken seriously. Most of what  we see here seems unscientific and distorted,  influenced by  excessive india centric nationalism.

Edited by Sander - 19-Nov-2007 at 05:21
Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 06:14

(No seals presented by Rajaram please!! )

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Azat View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Azat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 06:36

Most theories are inspired by  people that are not taken seriously ( in normal circles ). No wonder  one  gets strange info when  inspired by people like Koenraad Elst ( as  Bilal admitts he is ).   Elst is from the same camp as David Frawley ( calling himself Guru Vamadeva Shastri and teaching Vedic magic , yoga and astrology !! ). Such authors ( often New Age people ) are usually found on sites  with religious or India centric names like Voice of Dharma , Bharatvani ( Koenraad Elst' site ).  Most views of them are not taken seriously. Same counts for people like Jha and Rajaram  with their  'decipherements' of the IVC script. ( btw Bilal claimed to have made big progress , after  3 days of 'deciphering') IVC )

Looks you know very well  the internal dimensions of this fake drama.

All these sites along with some like India Discussion Forum some how wants to prove nativity of Vedic faith and religion despite all evidences suggesting a contrary picture .Some of their logic are so weired to merit a discussion and one of that was a recent by Bilal  that Prakrit was a mixture of Tamil and Sanskrit started by Moriyas.

Any way Sander Both OIT and AMT had some valid points .Point is Scholars have not propounded a theory based on those real evidences.

BTW I asked a question ,How do one know that Aryans were here in 1000BC?
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 09:05
I am very busy right now I would respond to both of you very soon.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 18:53

Most theories are inspired by  people that are not taken seriously ( in normal circles ). No wonder  one  gets strange info when  inspired by people like Koenraad Elst ( as  Bilal admitts he is ).   Elst is from the same camp as David Frawley ( calling himself Guru Vamadeva Shastri and teaching Vedic magic , yoga and astrology !! ). Such authors ( often New Age people ) are usually found on sites  with religious or India centric names like Voice of Dharma , Bharatvani ( Koenraad Elst' site ).  Most views of them are not taken seriously. Same counts for people like Jha and Rajaram  with their  'decipherements' of the IVC script. ( btw Bilal claimed to have made big progress , after  3 days of 'deciphering') IVC )

Looks you know very well  the internal dimensions of this fake drama.

All these sites along with some like India Discussion Forum some how wants to prove nativity of Vedic faith and religion despite all evidences suggesting a contrary picture .Some of their logic are so weired to merit a discussion and one of that was a recent by Bilal  that Prakrit was a mixture of Tamil and Sanskrit started by Moriyas.

Any way Sander Both OIT and AMT had some valid points .Point is Scholars have not propounded a theory based on those real evidences.

BTW I asked a question ,How do one know that Aryans were here in 1000BC?
Yep ,  defending an OIT scenario seems  be a motivation for many hindutvadis. 

Well,  the date of arrival and the date of the composition of the rig veda ( and which parts ) are different things. Its quite sure that the arrival happened way before 1000 BC though . The younger ( by text and language ) Yajur and Atharva veda mentions black  iron ( archeologically attested circa 1100-1000 BC ) but the older  rigveda does not know it. Also, the Gandhara Grave cullture ( beginning c. 1500 BC Pakistan ) is showing signs of Indo Aryan culture with its horse burials.

Edited by Sander - 19-Nov-2007 at 23:10
sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 16:37
AIT
I am surprised AIT is still being discussed seriously
1.Aryan:
The question of race, particularly the Aryan race is a messy one. It is one of those famous False problems. Let us start from the other end and clear the deck.
Aryan is an English word derived from the Vedic Sanskrit and Iranian Avestan terms ari-, arya-, arya-, and its another form aryana. The Sanskrit and Old Persian languages both pronounced the word as arya. The term came widely into use (misuse) early in 19th century. How it came to be developed and later how the British and others hijacked it is an interesting story.
Aryan theory was, initially, developed by Danish and Germanscholars of the romanticism era, like R. Rask and F. Bopp (1816) . The German linguists such as the Leipzig Junggrammatiker school members further developed it. The theoryof an immigration into or invasion of South Asia byspeakers of Indo Aryan language based on the familiar concept of the Hunnic and Germanic invasions of the Roman empire, emerged late in the 19th century.
The British latched on to the theory of an invasion by superiorIndo Aryan speaking Āryas (Aryan invasion theory) as a means to justify British policy and their own intrusion into India and their subsequent colonial rule. In both cases (Hunnic/Germanic and British), a 'white race' was subduing the local darker-colored population.
Further, the British also employed it, as a tool of their divide and rule policy, to drive a wedge between the various groups in the Indian people, by propagating that theAryan invaders from Central Asia destroyed the native civilization and enslaved the native population. The strategy was to set one class / region against another and let them fight it out. The then Viceroy of India Lord Curzon called this policy furniture of the Empire. Sir Winston Churchill opposed any policy tending towards decolonization on the ground: We have as much right to be in India as anyone there, except perhaps for the Depressed Classes who are the native stock. The British trick/strategy did work and many groups within India supported the British on both the counts and stated quarrelling among themselves. Since then the debate on the racial character of the term Aryan gathered pace and chugged along.
During the early thirties, the Aryan found unexpected supporters in the form of Nazis who employed it as a racial term designating the purest segment of the White race. Nazis put the theory into a highly destructive operation . The holocaust that followed is rather too well known to be recounted here.
The Nazis pointed out to the British that Nazis were doing exactly the thing they (British) themselves were doing in India, subjugating an inferior race. Nazi schoolbooks included lessons on British rule in India .This caught the British on wrong foot. British were embarrassed to find themselves bracketed with Nazis. The British spin-doctors then came up with an explanation that that the Indians were brown Aryans and there was no subjugation of Indian people. The British thereafter soft peddled the Aryan theory and slowly receded from it.
In the mean time, things came to a full circle in Persia. An off shoot of this debate was that Persia woke up to its history and decided in March 1935 to call itself Iran , derived from "arya" āriyā .We may recall that Darius the Great, King of Persia (521-486 BC), , proclaimed: "I amDarius the great King... A Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage.
Having re- discovered his roots the then Sha warmed up to his newfound brethren, the other Aryans, the Nazis. The British were not amused with this blossoming camaraderie and promptly snubbed Iran. Later in 1959, Iran came up with a statement that names Iran and Persia could be used interchangeably. However,since the Iranian Revolution of 1979, the official name of the country is "Islamic Republic of Iran."
Because of its association with Nazi propaganda and the stigma that stuck to it, the word Aryan is no longer in technical use. Presently, white people go under the label Caucasian. Even in Linguistics, Indo-European replaces Aryan.
Now, the infamous AIT the Aryan Invasion theory stands largely discarded. Let us leave it at that.
 2. Race:
The term Arya, either in Sanskrit or Avesthan, has always meant noble. Amara_Kosha, the Sanskrit lexicon, explains the term as sabhya sajjana meaning a gentleman. Arya is a term used by Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Parsis, to mean noble or spiritual.The Vedic Aryans called themselvesArya in the Rig-Veda. Besides Iran, the ire, the Irish name of Ireland; and ehre (German for "honor") are related to the term Arya. The Afghan airline is Aryana, named after the original name of that country. Many children in Iran are named Iran-dokht, Aryan pour etc. based on the term Arya. Similarly the South Indian names like, Ponna_iah, Subba_iah or Ayya_sami etc. carry its cognate iah to assign respect to the name. The term, obviously, is employed in the context of culture than race
In all these cases, the people of those countries, belonging to various ethnic groups , preferred to associate with the term Arya to signify that they were a noble and a respected people . There were no racial tags attached to it.
Some say Rig-veda too does not employ the term in a racial sense. According to Shrikant Talageri, among the tribes mentioned, most of whom of same race; Rig Veda refers to Purus and especially to Bharathas as Aryans. It is, therefore, a matter of regard and respect than of race.
I learn that in Manu Smrithi even Chinese were called Aryans. The South Indian Kings called themselves Aryans and those of whom that established kingdoms in South East Asia also called themselves Aryans.(to check)
Sri Aurobindo did not like the use of the term race in this context. He said, I prefer not to use the term race, for race is a thing much more difficult to determine than is usually imagined.
According to Michel Wetzel, designation of a particular race to people speaking a language is an aberration of the 19th and 20th century
Eva Nthoki Mwanika while commenting on the race of the Egyptian people said, The Egyptians did not recognize "race" with in the same context or definition in which modern society recognizes it and that, the division of humankind into races as understood in the modern sense is a recent phenomenon. She went on to say, we are trying to impose a modern term race on an ancient people who had a non-racial self-perception and a different worldview.
I presume we can safely echo the views of Ms. Mwanika in the Aryan context as well

Regards

Edited by sreenivasarao s - 23-Nov-2007 at 16:50
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 18:00
i am back however it will take me some time to respond to the people here as my computer is busted
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 07:04
OK, few things to understand about the historical proto-Indo-Europeans.

This group was not the Europeans coming in and conquering India. It was a group that dwelt between both regions and we don't really know if they were conquerors at all. The Indus Valley civilization collapsed around the same time as they arrived but it means nothing; it could be that there was an ecological catastrophe or weather change or something similar which caused both the collapse of the Indus cities and forced the PIEs to migrate, some into the subcontinent, some west to Europe. For all we know they arrived as peaceful refugees in both places.

Second, the influx was probably not a large number of people in either region. The language they brought with them seems to have been very popular, but this doesn't at all indicate that they replaced or dislocated the original inhabitants, only that their language was adopted.

Third, the PIEs aren't European any more than they were Indian. In both places there was definately pre-existant populations who, judging from genetic material, weren't impacted much by these newcomers. We don't really even know what they looked like or whether they were Caucasian, steppe peoples or what. We don't even know that they were a race or group of people at all, rather than just a material and linguistic culture that could have spread with very minimal movement of genetic material. What we do know, is that if there was genetic impact, it does not account much for present day genetic characteristics of populations in either region - whose genetic characteristics were, for the most part, formed during the Paleolithic and have changed remarkably little since.

I don't know why Hindu nationalists get upset by this one. They should be no more affronted about it than Europeans are, since both were affected by the same phenomena in equal measure and in an equal fashion, whatever that was.
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 11:32
Mr Azat . It is a historical fact that the Brahmins were very unhappy with prakrit taking the place of Sanskrit as the official language who they considered vulgar as opposed to the refined sounds of Sanskrit. If there was no Sanskrit at the time or if Prakrit did not have official patronage then tell me what was that which they were so ruffeled about. And the Brahmins in the subcontinental culture were at the top of the chain and had authority over all the other castes, but which caste despite being subservient to them in theory but in reality had the power to overrule them. It was the warrior and kings class and which were the people of this class who were ruling the whole of the sub-continent, yes it was the Mauryans. The first evidence that which we have of Prakrit is fom the inscriptions of Ashoka in the Mauryans times before that the only record we have of any language was Sanskrit. You seem to be under the impression that Prakirt actually pre-dated Sanskrit. Well for all we know Sanskrit has been the language of the Aryan civilization in the sub-continent since they came into the sub-continent since they arrived there (by the AIT) that is why many invasionist say that Sanskrit was brought to the sub-continent by the Aryans and that the Rig Veda was composed outside of the sub-continent. They make no such claim about Prakrit, why is that? Because Prakrit came on the scene much later and hence there was no need to make the claim that it orginated out of the sub-continent to prove an outside origin of the Aryans. And Sanskrit has survived in its almost original form to us because because it was the language of the intellectuals and therefore was preserved by the intellegencia. While no such attempt was made to preserve Prakrit (assuming that it was actually also present at the time side by side with Sanskrit) and yet without any effort to preserve it, it survived in its purest form for about about 2000 years. Great logic man.         
    As i said that the first time that which we have record of Prakrit was in the Ashoka's pillars which pretty strongly indicated that the language had state patronage in Ashokan times and it fell out of use as the language of insription not much later after the fall of the Mauryan empire in about 100 A.D and which language then took it place, yes it was Sanskrit.   

Also Prakarit in Sanskrit doesn't mean natural but also "vulgar", common, ordinary and usual.

You are of the opinion that Prakrit and was a completely seperate development from Sanskrit. Well you will be surprised to know that most scholars think differently.

You said       

"Prakrit just evolved in to modern languages ...Sanskrit language comes no where in between .neither in the beginning neither at the end."

"when  even a little Dravidian  (appox.10%Dravidian ) connection of Brahui was found out by Scholars ,why no body could find Tamil language in Parakrit of northern areas"

-Link-
http://www.friesian.com/cognates.htm

-Excerpt-
"Prakrits," from Prkr.ta, "natural," "ordinary," "common," "vulgar."

Just like when latin was spoken by non-Romans it vulgarized into Spanish, French, Portugese and Italian similarly the vulgrarization of Sanskrit with the Dravidian languages (Tamil, Tulu whatever) produced the Prakrit languages. 

-Link-
http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prakrit

-Excerpt-
We might say that the Prakrits are to Sanskrit as Vulgar Latin and the Romance languages are to Classical Latin

-Link-
http://www.hindu.com/2007/09/13/stories/2007091350320200.htm

-Excerpt-
Tamil has words from Prakrit, which is a spoken form of Sanskrit.

Just as vulgarization of Latin produced quite a few languages so also did the vulgarization of Sanskrit produced quite a few languages collectively called Prakrits which after an intermediatery stage became the languages of the north.  

-Link-
http://www.tamil.net/list/1999-10/msg00015.html

-Excerpt-People spoke only
> > Prakrit, which was a mixture of Tamil and Sanskrit.

And as i also said that most of the languages of the northern subcontinent are heavily Dravidized because they have evolved from Prakrit, which was one thing that which we agreed on.

So there is your answer.

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 08-Dec-2007 at 17:44
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 13:11
-But there was no invasion but a migration-
    Ever since the idea came about that the Aryan languages were introduced in India the word used for the movement of the Aryan people with their languages had always been "invasion'. It is only in the past couple of decades that with the extensive excavation of the Indus Valley sites which show absolutely no signs of any conflict (not even any internal one let alone an external one) that this term migration has been introduced in this discourse.

But as many people have pointed out that you cannot have a migration with the result of an invasion. We identy things with the effect that which they have and not on the exact nature of those things. For example a hammer made of wood and a hammer made of iron both are called Hammer because their function and their effects are the same. A wooden hammer is usually thought to be more similar to a steel one than it is to a chair made of wood. Why? Because even though in its constitution it is more similar to a chair made of wood however in its function it is more similar to a hammer made of steel. That is why a hammer made of wood and a hammer made of steel are both called hammer rather than calling a wooden hammer a "chair" because its constituents are more similar to chair. An ancient army is considered anlalogus to todays army despite the nature of their arnaments being completely different. A modern military helicopter is far more similar to a modern civilian helicopter than it is to any ancient military arnament yet when it is used militarily the agency that uses it becomes an Army similar to an ancient army despite the fact that the helicopter is acually mr similar to modern civilian equipment than it is to any ancient arnament yet the agency that uses it in that context is more similar to the ancient army than it is to any civilian helicopter ambulance because of its use and the result it produces which is to bring down the opposition in the battle field.        
    Threfore i will call a spade a spade and call an invasion an invasion which to me from all aspects looks like an invasion.
    And whats more this invasion was actually the invasioniest of invasions. Everybody calls the mongol incursions of the 13th century as invasions despite them being assimilated into almost every population that they conquered. Simlarly every one calls Hun incursions into the subcontinent invasions even though they were assimilated into the local population. However here we have an intrusive people who despite being much smaller in number not only imposed their language on the local population but also their culture (the vedic cannon has the pan IE culture in its most complete form) and yet we are not allowed to call them as invaders.             
       In the saem vein i consider the Mittani and the Hittite incursions into mesopotamia as invasions, even though in the end they got assimilated among the native population.  
    Similarly i also consider Iranian incursions into Iran proper as invasions even though their initial relations with the elamites may have been peaceful as can be gaged from the fact the Elamite language for a time was the official language of the Persian Empire.  
    And i am interested that exactly which which consequence of the Aryan Invasion do you distance yourself from. Do you no longer support the claim that the caste system was imposed by the invading Aryans to preserve their racial distinctiveness. Do you also no longer support the claim that the enemies of the Aryans in the Rig Veda were the aboriginals of the sub-continent (dark skinned or white skinned). Do you also no longer support the claim that the natives of the sub-continent were pushed to the south by the incoming aryans. Do you also no longer support the claim that the battle between the forces of lightness and darkness that which we find chorincled in the rig veda do not actually represent the battle between the light skinned aryans and the dark skinned natives. All of these in the past were presented as proof for the aryan invasion in support of the very shaky and conjectural linguitic evidence. If you no longer support such claims then you are effectively shutting off all doors for proof of the Aryan Incursions outside of the extremely sketchy linguistic evidence.          
Mr Sanders said
"Bilal likes to use obsolete terms ( and ideas) like 'invasions' for AMT but he never used 'invasions' for his suggested migrations from India (OIT)"

That just shows how carefully you have read my posts. I have used the word "invasion" every time i talked about the European incursions because thats what they were invaders. When they were moving out of the subcontinent they were migrators because at that time they had no idea that where the future might lead them however when they moved into Europe they became invaders

When the group which was to take over Europe was moving out of the sub-continent i used the word migration

"And the European migrations may have taken place just a little bit earlier"

"when most of the European and Iranian migrations would have taken place"

When they moved into Europe i used the word invasion because thats what they were
"I think that the European invasions may have taken place earlier"

"And also the European invasions must have taken place from the punjab which is right at the opposite end of the sub-continent from where these groups would have entered."    

The only reason that which i see that invasion has been tunrned to migration is to alleviate the buren of proof on the AIT. But even if it was a migration then it should still have some evidence of such a migration. Any development which cannot be explained by local evolution, any signs of the coming of a foreign culture or a foreign people. Yet there is no such  change at the specified time all we have is a gradual change from the culture of the Indus Valley Civilization to the later local cultures. The Grey Ware Culture claimed at one time to be the culture of the incoming aryans is now thought to be a native one.                

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 13:30

(No seals presented by Rajaram please!! )

LOLLOLLOLLOL

In my "headway on the IVC" thread i said that i had not read any decipherment attempts including Rajaram's attempt. I said      
"As per the question i am going through the task with absolute no preformed conceptions and have absolutely made no reading of any of the decipherment claims of the past because i wanted to tackle this problem with a fresh mind"

However i also said in "Urgent Help Needed"
"i had only read Asko Parpola work (which i do not  consider to be a serious attempt at decipherment because of its sketchy nature) not all the attempts at decipherment"

Since his reading of the text is Dravidian i am sure that you would not mind if i presented his interpretation o of the seals. However even if i wanted to i could not give the interpretation of even a single seal because helike all other Dravidian readers of the text despite decades of research was not able to give satisfactory reading for even a single line of seal text. 
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 08-Dec-2007 at 13:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>