Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ask the Roman Catholic -- All kinds of qu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ask the Roman Catholic -- All kinds of qu
    Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:56
Hi,

Do you have some questions about Roman Catholicism? Want to point out some painful inconsistency?

Go ahead. I will either directly answer or figure it out the answer. I am sure that other Roman Catholics will join me at some point to answer questions as well.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 21:10
I'll try and keep any and all questions I may have as relevant and non-trivial as possible.Smile

Bearing in mind my limited knowledge of christian theology and tradition:
why does the pope where such gaudy and ridiculous (would unusual be a more appropriate word?) garments?  That and the paraphernalia - hat, sceptre etc.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 22:01
Good question, Justinian.

The last I was told, the robes of the priest were clerical robes that Roman officials used. The pope's garment is based, according to my parish priest of my childhood, the robes of a Roman high official.

Of course, like all of these things, symbolism has been pushed into it. I ignored what it means, and I don't think that it is that important to look too hard into it.

Also, it seems that the garment changes according to who is in office. Our last pope, John Paul II, had remarkably good taste, avoiding to use the flashy stuff unless required by the liturgy.

Pope Ratzinger doesn't seem to have the same decorum. He likes the gaudy stuff, even to the point of bringing back a hat which popes from centuries ago used and today looks like Santa Clos's hat.

Some smartalecks may say hat he his is ho, ho, ho liness, but that is out of line.

More on the hat here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4551348.stm

Edited by hugoestr - 01-Nov-2007 at 22:02
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 00:26
Thanks for the information.  And I find that joke amusing so, its perfectly in line.Smile

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 02:36
Okay, here is another one:   why is the vatican so secretive with regards to its archives?  Should they open up the vault?  It seems out of place in this era to have them refuse to discuss anything that might be contained within and only allowing those at the top of the catholic hierarchy to learn of its secrets.  Is there information in there that condemns the catholic church or something?  DaVinci code and all that, I mean what gives?

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 03:33

why is the vatican so secretive with regards to its archives?

Uh....they're not?

Should they open up the vault?

See the above link.

It seems out of place in this era to have them refuse to discuss anything that might be contained within and only allowing those at the top of the catholic hierarchy to learn of its secrets.  Is there information in there that condemns the catholic church or something?

No no, it's not as crazy as all that. The Vatican has since the nineteenth century allowed scholars, religious and secular access to the Vatican secret archives. In fact the only reason that the archives were closed to the public at all was because in the period of the reformation many works were being ransacked and destroyed by various political opponents, and in an attempt to preserve the works only those most trusted to the Holy See had access to them.

In fact the Secret Archives runs along the same lines as any Library with ancient texts (i.e. you can't just waltz into the Library of Congress and take a look at the original Constitution without academic credentials). Also due to sensitive information that might leak out the records are put on a 75 year hold (this is standard just look at the findings of the JFK assassination).

The only actual "Secret" documents are held in the Apostolic Penitentiary, and these are kept secret only because they have to deal with Confessionals and as such cannot be made public.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 06:10
I was raised Roman-Catholic, myself... that's a church I can do without. I don't dig being told I'm sinful for going about the day-to-day business of life. The Catholic church produced the best minds of the 12th century... no longer relevant in the 21st century.

I guess my only question for a still practicing Catholic is this... why'd the priests do all that stuff to those little kids?

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 07:35

I guess my only question for a still practicing Catholic is this... why'd the priests do all that stuff to those little kids?

For the same reason Camp Counselors, school teachers, doctors, and parents do it. Because they have psychological problems independent of their lifestyle choices.

The reason that in the Priesthood before the 90's was a haven for indecent relations was because before then there was no socially acceptable way for homosexuals to "come out". In devout Catholic families you either got married or became a priest. Many homosexuals chose the priesthood over getting married. This became a problem due to the fact that they became attracted to the boys they spent the most time with. And in actuality most of the boys were over 13 years old, which means that the Priests were Ephebophiles rather than pure Paedophiles. So all this talk of "little kids" is mere exageration for the most part.

Now for your information though the number of priests involved in these sex scandals is actually quite small. It's just a few predators had oppurtunity with many children. And just to let you know I've had contact with dozens of priests in my lifetime and I've never known one that has ever tried anything on me. (And I was a Lecter for 4 years).

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 07:46
So, in effect, you're saying that homosexuals, with no better outlook on life, became priests? Are you equating homosexuals with pederasts now? That doesn't seem fair to homosexuals (whom I support in both a civil and personal movement; I am against all forms of societal repression), to equate them with those who molest children.

Ephebophiles, whatever... the kids weren't old enough to make their own decisions; they weren't consenting adults. I believe the term "kids" applies, implying that they weren't adults. Not a difficult concept. To apply dead Greek terms implies a semanticism not unlike the way the Church does. And, for the record, plenty of people weren't scared to come out in the 60's... why are "kids" still being touched in our contemporary era? Unacceptable. I'm not implying that there's anything inherent in Catholic doctrine that promotes pedophilia... but hell, there was a lot of it (one instance being too many)... to be so pervasive seems to me akin to betrayal of the morals of the idyll; an anti-Catholic trend if you will. And they wonder why no one goes to confession anymore.

A skeptical "Catholic"
BJC
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 07:49
PS- small proportions of "incidents" but still numerous occurrences... definitely a couple millions of dollars in Vatican hush money. That said, your outlook on it is your perspective. I can't take that from you.
BJC
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 10:13

So, in effect, you're saying that homosexuals, with no better outlook on life, became priests?

Yes Catholics who were homosexual became priests because "coming out" wasn't an option at the time they became ordained.

Are you equating homosexuals with pederasts now?

No, not all but due to independent circumstances those accused chose to become pederasts.

Ephebophiles, whatever... the kids weren't old enough to make their own decisions; they weren't consenting adults.

I dare say that the governments of Canada, Japan, and Spain as well as the states of Hawaii, Georgia and Indiana disagree with you in that regard. As all of these jurisdictions believe that 14-16 year olds can make their own decisions about sex.

To apply dead Greek terms implies a semanticism not unlike the way the Church does.

Dead greek term? I was under the impression that was the proper definition for an attraction to post-pubescent juveniles. As opposed to paedophilia which is an attraction to pre-pubescent juveniles. Which if you tell me there's no difference between the two, I and biology must respectfully disagree with you.

why are "kids" still being touched in our contemporary era?

Um...AFAIK the cases of priest abuse are in the majority cases over 20 years old. I'm not sure what you mean contemporary era? The problem was mishandled by an organization that wasn't designed with this problem in mind. They've learned from this and tried to correct the mistake as best they can. I have a feeling you'd damn them no matter what they did.

PS- small proportions of "incidents" but still numerous occurrences... definitely a couple millions of dollars in Vatican hush money.

I seriously disagree with the idea that it's "hush" money. The church was liable for the wrongs committed they did the only thing they could do to set it right. Priests accused faced civil courts and damages were paid out to the victims. I don't know what else you think the church could/should have done. It's not like the Pope has a time machine inside of St. Peter's Basilica.

I'm not implying that there's anything inherent in Catholic doctrine that promotes pedophilia... but hell, there was a lot of it (one instance being too many)... to be so pervasive seems to me akin to betrayal of the morals of the idyll;

As I said, until the scandals came out (mostly in the Boston archdiocese) I never even imagined that this was a common occurence. I never felt betrayed because my priests actually did what they were supposed to do, and ever other catholic i talked to had a similar experience so I don't know where this "it was rampant" thing comes from.

I ask you Brian, since you were raised Catholic did you know of a priest that molesting anyone?

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 13:05
Not personally, no, I didn't know of any cases of molestation. Of course, I'm only 21 years old, and the majority of people who were abused didn't come out until their late 20's, up to their 60's. Ergo, my peers, who in all actuality may have been touched (due to he overwhelming "societal standards" that 'forced' homosexuals into becoming priests), have a few years to break their silence yet. 

Janus, are you American? If not, I doubt you'd have seen how this scandal broke out over here. First one or two forty or fifty yr. old guys came out and said they were touched, then a few dozen others (of various age ranges) came forward, then hundreds of lawsuits flooded Catholic archdiocese all over the country. It all came to a head with the Mark Foley scandal (the Congressman accused of sending sexual emails to underage male interns on Capitol Hill), after which his old priest came forward and admitted to molesting Foley as a boy. So, you see, if you do not have the cultural understanding of the scandal, it will do less damage to your faith.
Because it was a huge deal over here.

I got no particular beef with the Catholic church, no more than I got with any other religion (all of which I believe to be coercive, selfish, and flat-out misguided). I got no beef with other people believing what they want, but the institutions themselves cause me a fair amount of unease, just because I get the feeling some of these "priests" (of whatever religion) gotta see through the sublime haze, and realize that they're like used car salesmen passing off bum cars as if they were gonna take you all the way to where you want to go, when in actuality you're not even gonna be able to drive it off the lot. I've not seen one recorded case, regardless of faith, of someone actually going to heaven. I know you're supposed to suspend you disbelief, or whatever, if we suspend that... reality can be distorted, to say the least.

Back to your last question, though, there were a few recorded cases of priest-molestation in Washington DC; I was raised in the area right outside DC. So you could say that I was close enough to know it actually happened. Nothing first-hand, or close-to-the-action accounts, but when something happens just a few miles away, you get the gist pretty quick.
Cheers.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 14:10
Hi, Brian,

I agree with you in some of the key points. The Roman Church should have been reporting to the civil authorities every case that they learned about. Instead they did pay out hush money, and just moved the predator priest to another parish.

My wife and I have many conversations about this. Why did they do this? Were they afraid of the social stigma of priests being sexual predators? Or was it that they couldn't afford to lose priests since there is such a strong priest shortage?

Whatever the reason, the Church as an institution failed morally to do what was right. At the very least they could have made sure that the predators were not exposed to children by placing them in post where they couldn't be in contact with them.

Yes, the modern Catholic Church failed... yet again I know several Catholics who say that they won't give any money until this situation has been cleared up. I am among them

That said, the religious teachings should be judge apart from their practitioners. There is no religion that I know that has lived up to its the moral precepts (although there are some that seem to do a better job than others.)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 16:26
A question for the Roman Catholic.

When is the Roman Catholic church going to forbid celibacy... It seems to me it doesn't make sense, and is not even a Catholic idea, because other Catholic churches, the Orthodox, the Oriental, the Anglican, etc. don't follow that rule.

Besides, when are you going to allow women to be priests? To stop the "club of Tobby" (monopoly of men)

Edited by pinguin - 03-Nov-2007 at 16:27
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 18:21
Originally posted by JanusRook

why is the vatican so secretive with regards to its archives?

Uh....they're not?

Should they open up the vault?

See the above link.

It seems out of place in this era to have them refuse to discuss anything that might be contained within and only allowing those at the top of the catholic hierarchy to learn of its secrets.  Is there information in there that condemns the catholic church or something?

No no, it's not as crazy as all that. The Vatican has since the nineteenth century allowed scholars, religious and secular access to the Vatican secret archives. In fact the only reason that the archives were closed to the public at all was because in the period of the reformation many works were being ransacked and destroyed by various political opponents, and in an attempt to preserve the works only those most trusted to the Holy See had access to them.

In fact the Secret Archives runs along the same lines as any Library with ancient texts (i.e. you can't just waltz into the Library of Congress and take a look at the original Constitution without academic credentials). Also due to sensitive information that might leak out the records are put on a 75 year hold (this is standard just look at the findings of the JFK assassination).

The only actual "Secret" documents are held in the Apostolic Penitentiary, and these are kept secret only because they have to deal with Confessionals and as such cannot be made public.

Oh...Embarrassed  I see I was under the wrong impression that it was still closed.  Thanks for the information and link. 

Guess it didn't take very long for me to break my goal of no stupid questions in this thread did it?LOL

WolfHound View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote WolfHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by pinguin

A question for the Roman Catholic.

When is the Roman Catholic church going to forbid celibacy... It seems to me it doesn't make sense, and is not even a Catholic idea, because other Catholic churches, the Orthodox, the Oriental, the Anglican, etc. don't follow that rule.

Besides, when are you going to allow women to be priests? To stop the "club of Tobby" (monopoly of men)

The rule of celibacy has been around since the middle ages to stop family rule of government and church.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 03:46

Janus, are you American?

Yes as my sig states I'm a proud Cincinnatian.

then hundreds of lawsuits flooded Catholic archdiocese all over the country.

And of course all of those cases were legitimate and not just random anti-religious people wanting to make a quick buck in the maelstrom (again I agree the vast majority of those cases were legitimate).

I've not seen one recorded case, regardless of faith, of someone actually going to heaven.

From Luke:

23:39. And one of those robbers who were hanged blasphemed him, saying: If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

23:40. But the other answering, rebuked him, saying: Neither dost thou fear God, seeing; thou art under the same condemnation?

23:41. And we indeed justly: for we receive the due reward of our deeds. But this man hath done no evil.

23:42. And he said to Jesus: Lord, remember me when thou shalt come into thy kingdom.

23:43. And Jesus said to him: Amen I say to thee: This day thou shalt be with me in paradise.

It would seem a bit ridiculous for the church to forbid celibacy. Seeing as how the most honored persons in the church were celibate their whole lives for example the Virgin Mary, Jesus and various church fathers. Also the monastic orders still require celibacy.

I agree that Celibacy should not be required to receive Holy Orders, but it is put in place as WolfHound said to prevent Nepotism from running rampant in the church. I don't think that this should be a major issue in the modern era but it is what the church sees as most fitting thus catholics are obliged to obey this demand.

Men certainly do not have a monopoly on the church, just see the Marian devotion the massive numbers of women saints and the relaxation on the rules regarding assistants during mass. There is a large tradition in the orthodox churches of priests acting in a role as representatives of Christ. And as God chose to come to earth as a man, and as God chose only male Apostles as his heirs it is probably correct to assume that God has chosen men to be priests. After all a woman can no more be a priest than a man can give birth, human beings were designed to have differentiation between the sexes and to deny this fact of nature is an error.

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 04:44
Originally posted by JanusRook

Janus, are you American?

Yes as my sig states I'm a proud Cincinnatian.

then hundreds of lawsuits flooded Catholic archdiocese all over the country.

And of course all of those cases were legitimate and not just random anti-religious people wanting to make a quick buck in the maelstrom (again I agree the vast majority of those cases were legitimate).

I've not seen one recorded case, regardless of faith, of someone actually going to heaven.

From Luke:

23:39. And one of those robbers who were hanged blasphemed him, saying: If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

23:40. But the other answering, rebuked him, saying: Neither dost thou fear God, seeing; thou art under the same condemnation?

23:41. And we indeed justly: for we receive the due reward of our deeds. But this man hath done no evil.

23:42. And he said to Jesus: Lord, remember me when thou shalt come into thy kingdom.

23:43. And Jesus said to him: Amen I say to thee: This day thou shalt be with me in paradise.

It would seem a bit ridiculous for the church to forbid celibacy. Seeing as how the most honored persons in the church were celibate their whole lives for example the Virgin Mary, Jesus and various church fathers. Also the monastic orders still require celibacy.

I agree that Celibacy should not be required to receive Holy Orders, but it is put in place as WolfHound said to prevent Nepotism from running rampant in the church. I don't think that this should be a major issue in the modern era but it is what the church sees as most fitting thus catholics are obliged to obey this demand.

Men certainly do not have a monopoly on the church, just see the Marian devotion the massive numbers of women saints and the relaxation on the rules regarding assistants during mass. There is a large tradition in the orthodox churches of priests acting in a role as representatives of Christ. And as God chose to come to earth as a man, and as God chose only male Apostles as his heirs it is probably correct to assume that God has chosen men to be priests. After all a woman can no more be a priest than a man can give birth, human beings were designed to have differentiation between the sexes and to deny this fact of nature is an error.

Per the heaven quote, I was referring more to what people what call more reliable secular sources, or something that amounted to actual journalism or scholarly research; as opposed to the big brother of bedtime stories. Roahl Dahl "records" people and giant insects floating around the world in a giant peach in his beloved children's story 'James and the Giant Peach,' yet for some skeptical reason, I'm just not buying the fact that people are floating around in mammoth fruit. See the distinction I'm drawing here? That between generally accepted research, scholarship or journalism, and those of the imagination/ abstract/ fictional. To say that "because the Bible said so, people DO go to Heaven" is taking one very old text very seriously, and neglecting to accept the credibility of a hundred and fifty years of scientific research, philosophical thought, and skeptical human communal experience. Or, to adopt the question of the 60's, maybe you could just ask if god is dead or not. I remember seeing that on an antique cover of TIME magazine, and inside was a furious debate between religious and a-religious scholars.

God chose men to be priests, but not women? Haha, sure, just like 'he' made men first and women second of Adam's rib in that mythical garden somewhere in the desert, six thousand years ago, right? Man, I wonder if they're ever going to find that place, to prove that God really is sexist, or if that position is just a tool of oppressive patriarchal systems used to deny women an active share in civil rights, property ownership, and political power based on an unfounded religious claim for 6,000 years. Ridiculous. It's the 21st century. CE. Not only are some of your claims wildly outdated, but also inappropriate in the modern world. To claim women don't have equal "divine" equality, or ability to actively participate in religion, is something the best minds of the 4th century thought up. I'd like to hope we'd have come out of the freakin' Dark Ages by now...
Cheers.

PS- Go post some of your theories about women and men's respective positions in god's eyes in the women's history forum. I'm sure some of our female members will happily give you a rousing 'wake-up call.' Hopefully some more of more enlightened male members will join the team.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 08:52

God chose men to be priests, but not women? Haha, sure, just like 'he' made men first and women second of Adam's rib in that mythical garden somewhere in the desert, six thousand years ago, right?

First off, I am not a young earth creationist so you can nix that assumption right there.

Man, I wonder if they're ever going to find that place, to prove that God really is sexist, or if that position is just a tool of oppressive patriarchal systems used to deny women an active share in civil rights, property ownership, and political power based on an unfounded religious claim for 6,000 years.

Nevermind the fact that for 100,000 prior to that the matriarchal systems put in place by the neolithic peoples denied men equal property rights and political power, as well as possible religious equality.

Ridiculous. It's the 21st century. CE. Not only are some of your claims wildly outdated, but also inappropriate in the modern world.

I'm sorry I was unaware that the Divine and Revealed Truth of the universe had to conform to contemporary and always changing values of a population that can't agree on anything. God does not follow mankind, he leads us towards the right path. And to presume that the "modern world" exists independent of a deity and divine law is blatantly narrow-minded.

To claim women don't have equal "divine" equality, or ability to actively participate in religion, is something the best minds of the 4th century thought up. I'd like to hope we'd have come out of the freakin' Dark Ages by now...

Women do have equal "divine" quality. They are called to have power over the life in this world, by being mothers and taking care of their families. Whereas men have power over life in the next world by acting as Christ's representatives. The roles are not in opposition nor are they necessarily equal, but they are complementary, in that neither can exist without the other.

Besides being a Priest isn't a role that one goes into with vanity or delusions of grandeur. A priest is supposed to be the ultimate submission to God's revealed truth. A woman cannot be submissive and demand this role at the same time. Like all of us we must obey the church's laws set down by the heirs of Christ. I have no problems with women requesting that the priesthood be opened to them, but historically they have never had this role, and it would be an artificial construct inside of the most natural evolution of the mother church. Therefore if they request and do research they should discover that they should not demand this role but seek appropriate measures to fulfill God's will.

PS- Go post some of your theories about women and men's respective positions in god's eyes in the women's history forum. I'm sure some of our female members will happily give you a rousing 'wake-up call.' Hopefully some more of more enlightened male

Just so you know the role of women in the world is something that i find to be a very important subject for research, and I, as you would know had you bothered to check, am very active in the Women's History forum. And I am not afraid to voice my opinions on various topics, as I despise any attempts to advocate androgeny of the sexes or to force the superiority of any gender over the other. I'd like to think that even if the female (and some male) members don't agree with me at least they understand and respect my position on the matter. I hardly believe that being the case I need a "wake-up call" as you mentioned.

Oh and just to let you know I am NOT afraid to voice my opinion on this subject in that forum.

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 13:26
I've got to run to work, so I'll spar with you again later on this one, but something you said struck me as absurd in the extreme: A practicing Roman Catholic (one of the most dogmatic, rigid, unchanging institutions in world history...) calling a social/religious/political liberal "narrow-minded." Quite so, as one of the most open-minded people I know, I'm definitely "narrow-minded." Having been raised Italian-Mc Catholic myself, and remembering all the 'liberal' discussions in school and how we were definitely encouraged to think outside of pre-ordained parameters, I can surely attest to the "open-mindedness" of the Catholic Church, who, as I have said before, possessed some of the most brilliant minds of the 12th Century.

Marinated in sarcasm,
Brian J Checco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>