Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are main regional powers ? What makes them so?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are main regional powers ? What makes them so?
    Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 02:25
Originally posted by Feanor

andrew - is the chief military leader of the Middle East.

How? What is your proof? According to the source you provided, both Turkey (8th) and Iran (16th) are stronger than Egypt (17th).

Well, of course Egypt would be the strongest if you exclude them, but then again it can be the strongest in the world if you exclude first sixteen countries.

andrew - bridges the gap between the Middle East and Europe.

Ah, that's the most common definition for Turkey. I would say Turkey is not Mideastern in some ways as well, but you are going too far. It's not Germany or France.

Feanor, I'm Turkish and Egyptian and I must say culturally and geographically Turkey shares almost nothing besides history and religion with the Middle East. They are both on divergent paths and and pretty soon Turkey may be a part of the EU. Most Turks identify themselves different from Arabs and other Middle Eastern peoples. They have practically no connection or they are severed to other Middle East nations.

And I understand Turkey's not exactly European either but it is becoming more European while the Middle East is becoming more anti-Western and radically so.

Besides, Egypt is stronger militarily if you compare it to Iran. I don't know if you have but if you do compare it then to Turkey and you will see what I'm talking about. Egypt is also planned to mass modernize its army within a few years.

Edited by andrew - 14-Nov-2007 at 02:26
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 03:10
Surely everyone is missing the point. The most powerful regional power in Europe is the EU.

Also in Africa, isn't there a French saying. France is the most powerful country in Africa........... Ask Gadaffi.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 03:41
Originally posted by Paul

Also in Africa, isn't there a French saying. France is the most powerful country in Africa........... Ask Gadaffi.

If you go by this reckoning, which I did not use for this question, Then the US is considered to be the most powerful country in North East Asia, Europe, and The Middle East. But for this discussion we seem to be talking about powers that geographically located in a region.
Though I agree that France tends to play a large role in Africa.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 17:19
What's Pan-Arabism in fact done for the Arabs and exactly has it empowered Egypt?  It is an ideology and it has no centre of power and has no power projection.  And when the leader of Hezbollah is more popular than good ol' Hosni in Cairo, then that speaks volumes in itself for pan-Arabism.

Edited by Zagros - 14-Nov-2007 at 17:20
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 01:22
Originally posted by Zagros

What's Pan-Arabism in fact done for the Arabs and exactly has it empowered Egypt?  It is an ideology and it has no centre of power and has no power projection.  And when the leader of Hezbollah is more popular than good ol' Hosni in Cairo, then that speaks volumes in itself for pan-Arabism.

Pan-Arabism was started by Nasser who opposed the West and later dispelled by Sadat and Hosni who supported the West but the movement is still alive among its people.

And Zagros I do not mean to be rude or antagonize you but is your belief in this Pan-Arabism have something to do with your Persian heritage?
winningstad View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote winningstad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 14:16
In Europe if I had to choose one, its France.
But thats kind of cosmetic, though, because the most important power in Europe since WW2 is the France-German axis. But in that one I guess France have been the most influental, due to WW2. Anyway, Merkel seems like good states-woman, and Im really excited to see how the Merkel-Zarko axis play out.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 16:43
No, I asked you question Andrew, what is so great about Pan-Arabism? How has it shaped the Arab world? what has it done for Arabs? what current influence does it have?  Seriously, if it is a source of power for Egypt you must give some perspective on how it is so instead of saying it is so and answering questions with questions.

I am actually indifferent to pan-Arabism, in fact I would prefer it if Arabs united under one state on Arab land instead of having such bickering, cowardly subservient leaders - they are a shame unto their heritage. 
bgturk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bgturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 23:13
Originally posted by Zagros

I am actually indifferent to pan-Arabism, in fact I would prefer it if Arabs united under one state on Arab land instead of having such bickering, cowardly subservient leaders - they are a shame unto their heritage. 

If Arabs were to unite around the idea of Arab nationalism into one single state, would that not be a threat to Iran, given that there is an Arab minority inside its borders?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 00:14
I don't think it would be because there is a common enemy of all middle eastern countries and has been for the last 200 years.  If these Arabs would follow Arab interests instead of being played off against Iran then there is nothing to worry about since Iran is itself a large and powerful country anyway, making war highly undesirable.

In addition,  in no one province do Arabs actually constitute a majority, More than half of Khuzistan is actually Lor/Bakhtiari and urban Persian.  One pan Arabist leader did try to play the fact that there are Iranian Arabs against Iran and failed miserably.  His first name began with s and ended with m.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 11:50
Originally posted by Panther

Of course, one certainly cannot forget Turkey and Greece either! Then again, seeing how many forumer's come here from both of those countries, that is a major can of worms i prefer not too touch!

I don't think you need to worry. From what I have seen under the 20 months i've been here, there was never a conflict between these two forum members groups. There has been a good relation which also depicts the situation between ordinary people from both countries.. Only one exception of a user that was taken care immediately by the moderators.

Edited by Flipper - 06-Dec-2007 at 11:52

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 14:30
^ You must thank the stringent staff policies and astute mods for diminishing ethnic flame wars for the positive change of events you have noticed. It was not always that way before. Those who stayed with us are the cream of the crop. Most of the riff raff do not like our civil ways. Who would have thought that Greek-Turk animosity would go unnoticed in an international forum? Smile

Edited by Seko - 06-Dec-2007 at 15:11
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 16:28
This may sound a little strange, but i have been coming to this forum ever since 2003-2004, when it was still relatively new. Finally did take the plunge on becoming a member in december of 2006. And had a hard time in getting myself going on posting here, until as of recent!

I still remember the animosity between the two nationalities, and didn't wish too enflame the sensibilities of the two groups. Thus... the less said, the better it is for everyone! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123