Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are main regional powers ? What makes them so?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are main regional powers ? What makes them so?
    Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 23:42
Pinguin, i guess it all boils down to an individual's preference?

Edited by Panther - 03-Nov-2007 at 23:45
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 23:45
Originally posted by pinguin

I though it was Israel the most powerful military power of the region.

I'm saying this based on military might and not foreign support.Wink

Egypt's man power reserves and special forces are rivaled in the Middle East even next to Israel. If America didn't exist Israel would've been consumed decades ago. In fact when the Eygptians surged into Israeli territory in the Yom Kippur war it is said had not the Israelis received heavy support from America the Egyptian army would've been in Tel Aviv within 3 days.

Not to mention they have aerial supremacy for the most part but their navy can be easily be defeated unless of course Big Brother America comes to the rescue again.LOL
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 04:46
Originally posted by andrew

Egypt's man power reserves and special forces are rivaled in the Middle East even next to Israel. If America didn't exist Israel would've been consumed decades ago. In fact when the Eygptians surged into Israeli territory in the Yom Kippur war it is said had not the Israelis received heavy support from America the Egyptian army would've been in Tel Aviv within 3 days.

Not to mention they have aerial supremacy for the most part but their navy can be easily be defeated unless of course Big Brother America comes to the rescue again.LOL

Interesting thought, leaves quite a bit out. Then again, i am not known for my brevity, once i really get going. It is nice to forget quite a bit of history, given the complications of well over several millennial of human conflict that is often waged at any given time and in no particular region. Nothing is ever as simple as we like them too be. So i will be short this time, with just  one simple question to start out with, which may explain quite a bit too me:

Did the history of the Soviet involvement around the world disappear completely along with their government back in 91'? I just find this all odd too a certain degree. Am i the only one?

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 05:59

Egypt dominates the Middle East. Turkey and Iran rival it but in terms of the immediate Middle East, Egypt's army is definitely the best. It's very high tech and modernized boasting one of the best aircraft in the world.

It's also looking to expand its nave which is the weakest branch of the Egyptian military.

In my opinion Turkey and Israel have better armies than Egypt.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 07:51
Originally posted by Majkes

Egypt dominates the Middle East. Turkey and Iran rival it but in terms of the immediate Middle East, Egypt's army is definitely the best. It's very high tech and modernized boasting one of the best aircraft in the world.

It's also looking to expand its nave which is the weakest branch of the Egyptian military.

I agree with you. Turkey is stronger than Egypt in all  aspects. Iran has a good strategic place in middle east. Above all Israel. as long as Israel has the western support, it is the strongest country in the middle east.BANG!-You-are-Dead
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 10:16

United States the world over.

1- In Europe is France (lesser extent Germany and Russia)

2- Middle east is Izrael (lesser extent Saudi Arabia and Iran)

3- Far east is China (lesser extent Japan and India)

This are regional powers,but it does not mean that they have more influence Globaly then other countrys near them.For example in Europe France is a bigger power then Britain but it does not nesesarily have more influence globaly.
Britain could be the Europes regional power but it does not have a high level of indipendence on decision taking in relation to U.S policy.It has also more interior problems relating to its Nuclear program,Royal Family,Scotland and Northern Ireland.

In Africa we have Nigeria as a regional power but i think it should have a level of indipendence in decision takin to be considered one.I think it is havily influenced (if not completely dependent on it) by US diplomacy.

In conclusion regional powers with a certain level of indipendence relating to the one global power,are France,Izrael,China,(Russia).

Me pune,me perpjekje.
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 11:42

Europe: France, UK. I'd rate France as the #4 power in the world. Unlike Britain which has attached itself to US foreign policy since 1956, France acts as its own center of power on the world stage. Germany has a stronger economy, but it doesn't translate into the same influence that France and Britain have. Part of their influence comes in the form of The British Commonwealth and the OIF. Both have Power Projection Capability.

I think Russia is an odd case. The expansion of NATO and the EU have pushed Russia's influence in Europe to the periphery. Russia seems to be more of a Central Asia Power, wish some influence in the Balkans(in the form of support for Serbia), though the US aquisition of bases in Romania and Bulgaria may mean that Russia will only have influence over Belarus, Serbia, and The Ukraine. This is probably the most unnoticed geopolitical development of the last 7 years, but the US is boxing in Russia in Eastern Europe and the Caucaus. It's been trying to do the same in Central Asia, but that was reversed when Uzbekistan kicked everybody except Germany out of their country. The US is currently blunting Russia in the Caucaus with forces in Georgia.

SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 11:43
If independence is to be considered, Pakistan would  also make the grade. 
God is not great.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 15:31
Originally posted by Majkes

Turkey and Egypt's army are very close in terms of military power rankings with Turkey get the slight advantage but to think Turkey's much stronger than Egypt is a big mistake. Egypt's army is a major power for some reason people don't seem to understand that.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 03:01
It's amazing that India hasn't been mentioned once. With a population their size one might even say they could afford a nuclear war.

Andrew, how big is the Egyptian military and where do they get their equipment from?
Karadenizli
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by kurt

It's amazing that India hasn't been mentioned once. With a population their size one might even say they could afford a nuclear war.

India is militarily, economically & culturally the Second strongest country in Asia after China & the biggest power in the Mid - East -Central Asia - South Asia.

India carried out it's first nuke testing way back in the early seventies. (the nuke establishment wanted to do it in the sixties in response to the Chinese testing, but was not allowed by Nehru & his party's penchant for peace ) It's nuke technology is entirely developed in house.

But I did not include it as it does not make any difference to the regional military equations. Moreover being a stable country with the world's biggest democracy (A true democracy), the country is mature enough not to disturb the regional geo - politics.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 03:18
Democracy doesn't equate to responsibility. The Americans, who in many minds epitomize democracy, funded contra rebels in Nicaragua even after they lost the election in 1984, plunging it in many more years of war even though they knew the people didn't want the contra's in power.

And more importantly Britain, not only left the Middle East divided so that it couldn't unite and pose a threat, but imposed "royal families" in charge who could act as puppets of the British regime. They did this intentionally so that the region could never rise as a power.

Also, India has made some difference to regional military equations; they helped Bangladesh gain its independence from Pakistan.
Karadenizli
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 21:10
Originally posted by kurt

Andrew, how big is the Egyptian military and where do they get their equipment from?

I believe Egypt's army has some around 300,000 active troops and 400,000 man power reserves. (Rough estimates.) The big advantage we have over Turkey is the navy and the airforce this can also be said for Iran.

Egypt is 17th in terms of military rankings and Turkey is 8th.

Turkey spends a ton on foreign equipment and on the military much moreso than Egypt does.

As you can see, Egypt is a major power just behind Turkey in the Middle East but Turkey isn't really considered part of the Middle East though.

EDIT: Also Egypt is remodeling their military to make it more up to date so this should change.

Edited by andrew - 12-Nov-2007 at 21:12
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 21:56
Egypt dominates the Middle East. Turkey and Iran rival it...
Turkey and Egypt's army are very close in terms of military power rankings with Turkey get the slight advantage but...
Egypt is 17th in terms of military rankings and Turkey is 8th.
...but Turkey isn't really considered part of the Middle East though.

Make up your mind man!

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 23:55

What aspect of the ME does Egypt dominate?

andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 11:43
Originally posted by Zagros

What aspect of the ME does Egypt dominate?

Military and politics.

Originally posted by Feanor

Make up your mind man!

I said immediate Middle East not the entire geo-political region, the core of it which would not inlcude Turkey.

Edited by andrew - 13-Nov-2007 at 11:45
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:22

Next question: How?

andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 20:33
Originally posted by Zagros

Next question: How?

It basically created Pan-Arabism and is the chief military leader of the Middle East. It is also, probably as of now, the most stable nation in the Middle East and bridges the gap between the Middle East and Europe.
Andy72090 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andy72090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 23:30

The Egyptian military is probably the most superior in the Middle East.

With proper air defence, they could probably over run Israel in a matter of weeks, with over 1,000 of these babies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

Their air force also has been greatly improved and updated since the cold war era. With over 200 F-16's, they are the fourth largest operator of the aircraft in the world.

Israels existence is guaranteed only through their air force, and if the Egyptian military can stop it, then they're set to be THE regional power of the Middle East.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 23:59
andrew - is the chief military leader of the Middle East.

How? What is your proof? According to the source you provided, both Turkey (8th) and Iran (16th) are stronger than Egypt (17th).

Well, of course Egypt would be the strongest if you exclude them, but then again it can be the strongest in the world if you exclude first sixteen countries.

andrew - bridges the gap between the Middle East and Europe.

Ah, that's the most common definition for Turkey. I would say Turkey is not Mideastern in some ways as well, but you are going too far. It's not Germany or France.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>