Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plutarch's diadochi lives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plutarch's diadochi lives
    Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 12:36

Does anyone know any editions of Plutarch that contain his more obscure lives? It's always the classical Greek figures, Alexander the great, republican Roman figures, but I can't find ANY of his Diodachi ones by many publishers

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 13:51
Hey Aster. Not entirely sure what you want, but this is what I came up with:

1) http://classics.mit.edu/Plutarch/demetrus.html - Demetrius I of Macedon. He waged war with the Ptomelies.
2) http://www.4literature.net/Plutarch/ - A list of all of Plutarch's lives

Don't know whether this helps or not.

- Knights -
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 14:58
I scanned through the list of Plutarch's lives and also came across Eumene's (not of Pergamun) and Pyrrhus though it depends on your definition of Diadochi as to whether these count. I found no others though my knowledge of some of the figures included in "the lives" is lacking.

Regards, Praetor.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 09:15
I scanned through the list of Plutarch's lives and also came across Eumene's (not of Pergamun) and Pyrrhus though it depends on your definition of Diadochi as to whether these count. I found no others though my knowledge of some of the figures included in "the lives" is lacking.

...I could those as "secondary Diodachi" - they were instruments of Hellenism and only came to power through the decline of Alexander's empire, and they continued to use many of the models of it and claimed descent to Alexander. They are certainly no "pure" diodachs, such as Ptolemy I Kaurnos, Selecus, Antigonus etc.

Thanks very much for all your input - i'm very greatful!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 14:25
Check Project Gutenberg.
dexippus View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote dexippus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 19:30
Penguin, as usual is to the rescue. Try the penguin edition of "The Age of Alexander the Great." It contains translations of the lives of Alexander, Demetrius Poliorcetes, Phoicon, and Phyrrus (and a few others, but alas, I don't have it with me at the moment.) If you have access, the Loeb bi-lingual editions are always a sound way to go, with the original Greek and a facing translation. The Loebs have been coming out with new translations under the editor ship of Prof. Goold, although most libraries still have the older versions, which are reasonable translations, albiet a bit dated, generally having been produced in the 1930s.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 15:12
Thanks very much Dexippus Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply