Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dacians, thracians, and their stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dacians, thracians, and their stuff.
    Posted: 10-Oct-2007 at 17:02

Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 17:25
Cert. no, but the heavy armoured riders were sarmatians on both sides. The dacian cavalry is wearing dacian clothes on the c.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 18:30
Originally posted by Menumorut

First, this topic were in last hours have been a discussion on this subject (to the end of this page and the next page):
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22010&PN=5

Second, I'm not informed, but look what I found with Google:

Proto-Indo-European to Dacian sound changes

Dacian and Thracian as Southern Baltoidic

The Problem of Ancient Minor Languages and Their Origin

There are some mysterious connection between Lituanian and Romanian traditions. I remember the most signifiant, the fact that only the two people have a kind of song (prolonged, slow and sad) called Doina in Romanian and Daina in Lituanian.

Thank you very much
Σαυρομάτης
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 22:25
Cert. no, but the heavy armoured riders were sarmatians on both sides. The dacian cavalry is wearing dacian clothes on the c.

OK, you are right.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 04:33

Were there any especially famous thracians? I  heard belisarius was, but I'm not sure about the source.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 12:35
Most of the emperors of the Late Roman empire and of the Romano-Byzantine empire up to Phocas (610, the last Latin speaking emperor) were from Moesia Inferior (today North of Serbia), where the population was mainly Thracian and Dacian (the population refugiated from Dacia arround 270 was settled here):

Decius (249-251)

Regalianus (260) was a Dacian, falsely pretended to be a descendant of Decebal

Aureolus (268), a Dacian, born North of Danube

Claudius II (268-270)

Quintillus (270)

Aurelian (270-275)

Probus (276-282)

Maximian (250-310)

Constantius Chlorus (305-306)

Galerius (305-311), son of a Dacian woman. He wished put the population of Rome and Italy to taxes for revenging the humiliation of Dacians by Trajan who subdued them to tribute. He wished to change the name of the Roman empire in Dacian empire

Constantine the Great (307-337) who considered himself a Dacian, as we see in the statues of Dacian warriors on his arch:

Licinius (308-324), Dacian from Moesia

Maximinus Daia (310-313)

Jovian (363-364)

Gratian (359-383)

Constantius III (421)

Marcian (450-457)

Justinian (527-565)

Leo I, known as Leo the Thracian (457-474)

Phocas (602-610)

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 05:26
interesting...

I just read a series by eric flint (sort of an alternate-history series) set in the byzantine empire and ethiopia, mesopotamia, and india, during the reign of Justinian (the one who sent belisarius off to retake the western empire.)

I did notice a lot of the characters being thracian, but I figured I shouldn't just automatically believe a work of fiction-hence the reason i asked about "famous thracians"
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 14:11
Is very important that in 6th century were Thracians whose names were exactly as in the classical period, before the Roman conquest.

There is interesting information about the presence of Bessi in Sinai and Palestine in 6th century:

The chronicler Eutychius of Alexandria writes in 10th century that Justinian, when founding the St. Ecaterine monastery in Sinai he has sent one hundred families of "abid-al-Rum", meaning 'servants of the Romans'.

A manuscript from the monastery, considered to be a copy after a document from 530, speaks about the foundation of the monastery mentioning the bringing of Christians from Black Sea, from the land of the Wallachs: bilad-al-Aflah.

In 570, at short time after the founding of the monastery, the pilgrim Antoninus Placentinus says that at St. Ecaterine were spoken the Latin, the Greek, Syriac, Egyptian and Bessian. The Bessi were the most important Thracian tribe and this is how is mentioned the Thracian population from Balkans in Justinian's time.

Even today, a tribe of bedouins called Bezy, living near the Ter town, not far from Sinai mountain.

In 16th century, a Chech traveller named Cristophe Harant stories about the bedouins near the monastery of St. Ecaterine that their chiefs are called capi, like in Romanian (cap or capetenie means chief, plural is capi).

The German traveller Samuel Kiechel in 16th century relates that these bedouins call the louses "pedoci" (the Romanian word for louse is paduche, plural paduchi, of Latin origin).

A British autor, John Levis Burckardt, in a book published in 1822, offers interesting details about the Gebalie, the bedouin tribe near the monastery: "When Justinian has built the monastery, he sent a group of slaves originar from the coasts of Black Sea (...) They unanomous declares their descendants from the Christian slaves, and this is why the others are calling them Bedouins. They mary only among themselves, making an apart community of arround one undred and twenty armed people. They are a hardworking and robust race".

Marcu Beza (a Romanian diplomate and writed, died in 1949) has personaly knowed such a Bedouin, which served him as a guide. It was a young and well built man, with white bead and shirt, with leather belt, laced moccasins. He showed to Marcu in the garden of the monastery the place where was buried the last Christian woman of the tribe, in 1750.

The blood analysises made in the seventies at all bedouins from Sinai mountain showed that the Gebalie (the Mountain people), the Bedouin tribe near the monastery is different from all the others. Unfortunately, there have not been comparations with the population from Romania and Bulgaria.

In the work "The life of Saint Theodosius" is sayed that in the monastery founded by Theodosius East of Bethleem in 6th century there were four churches: one for mental patients, one with services in in Greek language, one in which "The Bessian nation were rising their prayer to our common Lord" and one in Armenian language.

In "The life of Saint Saba the Hallowed" were are told about several Bessian monasteries in Palestine. A Bessian monastery was existing in 553 at Constantinople.

From 6-7th century we have an information from John Moscu, who says that in Palestine were two monasteries called Soubiba, one of Bessian language and one of Syriac language.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 14:19

Apulon

Apulon was the capital of the Dacian tribe of Apuli, living on the territory of today Alba county. Apulon was the ancestor of Apulum, the today Alba Iulia city.

Romans interdicted the inhabitation of all Dacian towns and villages after conquest, with the exception of Napoca, because the Napocensii tribe was allied with the Romans during the battles.

At Apulon several Dacian sanctuaries, a fortified enceinte, terraces with habitations and wrokshops have been discovered:

http://www.enciclopedia-dacica.ro/alba_iulia/craiva.htm

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:06
I wonder how big in terms of population their towns got...

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:46
I found not such data.

I can say only that the population of the Dacians short time before the Roman conquest was estimated at 2 millions, the population of the Roman province Dacia was estimated at 500.000.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 18:54
How far did exactly Dacian infuence stretch to the East after the expedition of king Burebista against Olvia?

I saw on some maps the borders of Dacian state were as far as Dniper river.
Σαυρομάτης
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 19:47
Yes, is correct.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 20:22
Much of the information here on Dacians is distorted. The group "Dacia Nemuritoare" (the Immortal Dacia) and several others (responsible for parts of the materials references here) are relatively well-known in the Romanian historiography for their "Dacomanism", or more generally "Protochronism", ideological movements which attempt to make the Dacian civilization much more brilliant and developed than it really was (after the most extreme form of it - the first civilization ever, starting with Tărtăria) and to make the Romanians the proud descendents of them (and usually in a total unscientific way, by inventing realities beyond what the evidences really say). In a way similar with some recent extremist positions from the thread on the origins of Bulgarians.

To your last question Sarmat12, it is not really known what was the stretch of the Dacian influence north of Danube, for the informations are scarce and it is really inappropriate to speak of a "Dacian state". The sources for Burebista's reign (Byrebista, Boerebista) are:
- Strabo (Geographia, Book VII, section 3.5, 3.11 and 3.12 and the fights with the Celts are confirmed in section 5.2; check here for a Greek/English version: http://soltdm.com/sources/mss/strab/7.htm )
- the inscription from Dionysopolis (today Balčic, Bulgaria) dedicated to Acornion which mentions Burebista as the greatest king of Thracia
- Jordanes in Getica (about 6 centuries after Burebista's life)

There is no solid information that various sackings by Dacians/Getae (and their allies) were coordinated by a supreme ruler, there's no solid informations that they were conquests. The expedition of Burebista against Olbia is AFAIK based on Dio Chrysostom's Oration XXXVI, 4, where the text says nothing about Burebista, only involved Getae in the destruction of the city with 150 years before the time he was writing (and the date fits Burebista's alleged reign). From this scarce information to infer an expedition it seems, to me, an outstretch (also if Chrysostom is wrong by some decades, Burebista could not have been a ruler). Likewise, to infer a map like Menumorut's from this scarce information.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Oct-2007 at 20:26
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 21:23

The sites of the Dacomans are the richest in information about Dacians and not only about Dacians. Actualy, is the richest resource for the history of the territory of today Romania.

Is true that there are pages with totaly fantasmagoric information, but there are too much information taken from scientifical works of Romanian scholars, and when is this case there is not any distortion.

For example, this page about the falx, in which is gived the bibliography.

The information about the Timoc Romanians is too very good.

You say that much of the information presented here, by me, is distorted. What is distorted in what I have writen?

The map is not made by Dacomans, is from Historical Atlas of Romania published in the seventies and republished later.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 21:39
One more question. Did Julius Ceasar planned to conquer Dacia and did he say smth. that the conquest of Dacia would be even more difficult than the conquest of Gaul ?
Σαυρομάτης
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 22:04
The so called "richness in information" is actually richness in fiction, and that is not valueable. The scholarship you invoke (Romanian scholarship in the 70s-80s) is well-acknowledged as protochronistic, "dacomanic" and driven by the ideology of Ceauşescu's regime to fabricate a glorious history for the Romanians (see assessments like of Lucian Boia - historiographer, Alexandru Niculescu - archaeologist or Iancu Moţu - archaeologist) and thus heavily biased (with reknown absurd syntagms like the "centralized state of the Geto-Dacians during Burebista" or even a better one the "uncentralized state" describing the rule of Dacians after Burebista - I'll leave the readers to imagine how an "uncentralized state" be like). Of course there's correct information in it, but for that one reader should compare the scholarship you invoke with other scholarship and extract only the common points.

The map you're presenting is a very clear example of distortion. I brought the sources on Burebista, please show me how that map is supported by them and not by the fiction of its authors. I really do not want to make a criticism of all what you wrote, just to draw the attention on other forumers which look for honest answers, and not dacomanic propaganda.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 22:30
One more question. Did Julius Ceasar planned to conquer Dacia and did he say smth. that the conquest of Dacia would be even more difficult than the conquest of Gaul ?
I will give you the sources I know of (in my translation if not said otherwise, the parantheses are added by me) on that and let you judge by yourself:

C. Velleius Paterculus (early 1st century AD), Historia Romana, II, 59, 4:
He (Caesar) intended to take him (Octavianus) in his expeditions against Getae and the Parthians.

Appianus (1-2nd centuried AD), Historia Romanorum, De rebus Illyricis, XVII:
Near this river (Sava) there was a fortification Caesar wanted to use for supplies and the war he was preparing against the Dacians and the Bastarnae living across the Ister.

Strabo, Geographia (early 1st century AD, from the translation I've already linked), VII, 3, 5:
at the time when Byrebistas, against whom already the Deified Caesar had prepared to make an expedition, was reigning over the Getae
and VII, 5, 12:
However, certain men rose up against Boerebistas and he was deposed before the Romans sent an expedition against him; and those who succeeded him divided the empire into several parts.

Paulus Orosius (5th century AD, please note how late is this chronicle!), Adversum paganos, I, 16
Getae which today are called Goths (sic!), which Alexander the Great said he had to avoid them, Pyrrhus was terrified by them, and Caesar had to stay away from them.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Oct-2007 at 22:34
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 22:55

Sarmat, I don't have information for your question. I know only that Julius Caesar sayed some things about Dacia in De Bello Gallico, which was lost.

Chilbudios, is not hard to extract the correct information from such websites. Images anyway cann't be fake or the texts copied from mentioned books.

You are making the same mistake like Dacomans or by ideologicaly driven scholars: you are driven by some prejudices, which, at you, are not in the points about the historical data but about the rightness of Romanian scholars' acuracy.

What have you studied from the works of Romanian historians and archaeologists?

Making assertions without giving quotes or examples is not only not scientifical but dangerous. You create a false imagine about the Romanian historiography and archaeology without knowing it.

You have read Boia and Niculescu and believe that what Niculescu says is correct and all the other hundreds of Romanian scholars are wrong. Which are your criteria for making such judgements?

The sources for the existente of Burebista as a ruler who realized a great union of tribes and conquered much of the surroinding territory are very well completing each other. You are believing that for a historical figure to exists it must be a complete description somewhere.

It seems that you dont' know that davae were discovered in Slovakia, dating from the period of Burebista's expansion. In his time (the period described by Jordanes) it was manifested an uniformization of the characteristics of the material culture, as arhcaeologists know.

How do you explain the aparition of the religious and political center from Orastie mountains in the time of Burebista?

How do you explain the aparition of the sanctuaries in the time of Burebista?

Isn't clear that this should be made by Decaeneus, the great priest which together with Burebista reformed the life of Dacians?

This map is not Dacoman propaganda.

You can find similar maps made by foreign people:

I wait anwer at my question: what is fake in my message? You sayed that much is wrong, not that only the map is wrong.

Paul Cristian Damian's thesis is propaganda too?

He managed to unify all the Geto-Dacian nations, grouped in big tribal unions, delimitable partialy on numismatic criteria, and he has put the basis of the first state, destroying the power of Boii Celts so far as Slovakia, taking in possession the Greek cities on the West and North coast of Black Sea, from Apollonia to Olbia, managing in a short time, between 60 and 48 BC, to found a great kingdom, stretching to West and North-West up to Middle Danube and Morava, to North up to Forested Carpathians and to East up to North-West coast of Black Sea and to South, across Dobrudja up to Balkans, an arch exceding the ethnic borders of Dacia. After his disparition, the lack of economical unity and the weak political centralization of this by violence formed organization, had lead to the dismembering of this, first in four parts, than in five, territorialy coresponding probably to the old tribal unions.

And much more at
http://www.mnir.ro/publicat/damian/aspecte_text.html

Edited by Menumorut - 13-Oct-2007 at 23:29

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by Chilbudios

I will give you the sources I know of (in my translation if not said otherwise, the parantheses are added by me) on that and let you judge by yourself:

C. Velleius Paterculus (early 1st century AD), Historia Romana, II, 59, 4:
He (Caesar) intended to take him (Octavianus) in his expeditions against Getae and the Parthians.

Appianus (1-2nd centuried AD), Historia Romanorum, De rebus Illyricis, XVII:
Near this river (Sava) there was a fortification Caesar wanted to use for supplies and the war he was preparing against the Dacians and the Bastarnae living across the Ister.

Strabo, Geographia (early 1st century AD, from the translation I've already linked), VII, 3, 5:
at the time when Byrebistas, against whom already the Deified Caesar had prepared to make an expedition, was reigning over the Getae
and VII, 5, 12:
However, certain men rose up against Boerebistas and he was deposed before the Romans sent an expedition against him; and those who succeeded him divided the empire into several parts.

Paulus Orosius (5th century AD, please note how late is this chronicle!), Adversum paganos, I, 16
Getae which today are called Goths (sic!), which Alexander the Great said he had to avoid them, Pyrrhus was terrified by them, and Caesar had to stay away from them.

Thank you for such a detailed reply.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>