Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dacians, thracians, and their stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dacians, thracians, and their stuff.
    Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 15:04
There's no attestation of an Argedava there and Argessos also is not attested as a river (Herodotus gives Ordessos). The only attested such settlement is an Argidava/Arcidava on the road from Viminacium to Tibiscum (or in Ptolemy's coordinates, a bit west of Sarmizegetusa Regia)

In the inscription from Dionysopolis is Argedavon, which is quite different to Arcidava. And yourself sayed it's not at accusative.

Burebista could not be from Banat, because there is a much to big distance to Dionysopolis and in Banat there are not signifiant Dacian settlements.

Starting with the rule of Augustus, the Roman emperors tried to strenghten the guarding of the frontiers, making along them, in the enemy's territory (there where it was possible) the policy of the "secure area" -practicised by Romans also at the Lower Danube from the order of Augustus. Sextus Aelius Catus trasfers to South of Danube 50.000 Getae. In the midle of the 1st century AD, the legat of Moesia, Tiberius Plautius Silvanus Aelianus transfers oer 100.000 Getae (the number is exagerated).

Starting from this information, some historians (A. Alfldi) had considered that Muntenia was emptied of population and that in the place of the Getae entered the Roxolan Sarmatians. But haven't been discovered in Muntenia and the Romanian Plain Sarmatian graves anterior to 2nd century AD and the Geto-Dacian population, living in the hill area, started after 106 to expand in the plain area, lesser inhabited after the depopulations made by Romans in the 1st century AD.

In the land can be seen sometimes the consequences of the security policy: in the time of Augustus there are abandoned davae from the Danube Plain (Zimnicea, Popesti); in the time of Plautius Aelianus it is affected the line Tinosu (Prahova)-Matasari (Dmbovita), the South of Moldavia and of Bessarabia being affected too.

The destructions of the settlements was by firing, so the transfer was made bythe opposition of the Dacians. The Geto-Dacians turned back on the lands starting probably with the time of Trajan, when the territory of Muntenia and the South of Moldavia were included to Moesia Inferior (101-107). From the Hunt papyrus (dated in 105-106) results that the soldiers of the Cohort I Hispanorum veterana, with detachments at Piroboridava (Poiana -South of Moldavia) and Buridava (Oltenia) were periodicaly obtaining the grain tribute from the land, tribute that could be obtained only from the Geto-Dacians, the sedentary agricultors in the area.

The History of Roman Dacia

Edited by Menumorut - 25-Oct-2007 at 15:54

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 12:56
Originally posted by diegis

About that TV show, was a history one who present interesting and little know facts from stone age to iron age thru the country ( as virtual reconstruction made by archeologists of a Cucuteni cultrue village, stuffs from neolithic, etc.), and presented real things, and opinion about the nails who was dated as that old, and having that compostion by a scientific institute.
I have reasons to mistrust the analysis a certain institute had performed, you may remember the recent controversy surrounding the golden Dacian bracers ( http://www.jurnalul.ro/articole/1553/febra-bratarilor-asa-zis-dacice or http://www.adevarul.ro/articole/analize-de-la-cambridge-contrazic-interpretarea-celor-de-la-bucuresti/304146 ), where a reputable Romanian academican and archaeologist held that the analyses performed at Cambridge contradicted the verdict formulated at Bucharest based on the analysis from the Physics Institute "Horia Hulubei" and that the gold was not Dacian as it was claimed. Moreover, on the net the information on these nails is mainly from well-known protochronist and dacomaniac sites (like www.dacia.org). I also know no reputable source on ancient archaeology mentioning them, if you have such a source please bring it on.

About Burebista reign, most translations i read was like that ( sorry for my english ) : "coming up in top of his people, who was exhausted by numerous wars, the get Burebista brink him up so much thru exercises, moderation, and obeying the comands that in couple years he create a powerfull "state"( this is the mostlly used word, but i saw too empire or realm, however, something more then a simple tribal union ruled by the big boss ), and submit to getians almost all neighbours..."   
Here is Strabo's text in a dual Greek-English version: http://soltdm.com/sources/mss/strab/7.htm. Where do you find anything about "state"?
As for empire, it actually may mean only military hegemony over other populations, as you see even in this text "empire" is actually in Greek "arche" which has a several related meanings: power, supremacy, rule, hegemony, etc., therefore the Strabonian text is compatible with a tribal union (like Celts or Germans) or with any imaginable form of hierarchical organization led by a "big boss" as you put it.

About Burebista Argedava is much more probable to be in south Romania ( Muntenia ), since Strabon name Burebista GET, a nmae gived by greeks to dacian peoples from that area, and this is the location the most scholars agree, beeing probably a fortress from Argessos river area.
There's no attestation of an Argedava there and Argessos also is not attested as a river (Herodotus gives Ordessos). The only attested such settlement is an Argidava/Arcidava on the road from Viminacium to Tibiscum (or in Ptolemy's coordinates, a bit west of Sarmizegetusa Regia)

About his corelation with Sarmisegetuza, this come mostly from archeology, the Orastie mountain complex of fortress, including Sarmisegetuza, was builded, or began to be build, or reinforced, in times of Burebista.     
An archaeological dating can easily be off by few years which can put the fortifications after Burebista's reign. However, even if we assume the fortifications were built during Burebista's reign it does not mean his capital was in that area.

As well, Deceneu is said in almost all ancient sources debating the dacians ( i think Jordanes as well ) that remain the king of one of that 4 parts of former Burebista kingdom, the one from Transilvania with capital at Sarmisegetuza most probably, and is even gived the name of one who follow him at throne, Comosicus, Scorrilo ( reign 40 years ), Duras, and give as well the names of some who rule the other parts.         
You can check Strabo in the link above, you can check Jordanes' account here: http://www.hieronymus.us/Goths/Goths1.htm, they both mention Deceneus but I don't see him following on the throne, barely being a high-priest/co-regent under Burebista.

Vezina is considered as well the great priest but historians, not just second after king, the same situation as in Deceneu case ( i dont know for sure the translation from Dion Cassius 47,10 ). 
Here is an English translation of book 67: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Cassius_Dio/67*.html,  at paragraph 10 we can read about Vezina just the following: He (Julianus) encountered the enemy at Tapae, and slew great numbers of them. One of them, Vezinas, who ranked next to Decebalus, finding that he could not get away alive, fell down purposely, as if dead; in this manner he escaped notice and fled during the night. (if you need the original text check: http://patrologia.narod.ru/nationes/cassius/hist_rom.htm ).

now, about Deceneu and <belagines> laws. Ofcourse, Deceneu teach the dacians that laws, is no doubt about. Jordanes, ( as others too ) just consider the 2 peoples, gets and gots one and the same, this is the reason he write goths instead og gets. I see no conection between dacian belagines ( who suposedly was given to Zalmoxis by godess Hestia ) and your german tribal laws, who inever heard, sincerely, until now.
a) No account mentions Hestia giving belagines to Zalmoxis, the belagines are mentioned only by Jordanes,  a Goth. b) I can't believe you've never heard of the traditional Germanic law (not even of later codifications like Lex Salica?). The point remains - even tribal organizations have laws.

Now, about that intriguing conection gots-gets, Jordanes was not the first of the last who make it. After Teodoric the Great ( ostrogoth ) defeat Odoacru he establish a kingdom in italic peninsula, and try to make a good coabitation with roman element. So, ones of him conseilors was a roman senator, Cassiodorus. Teodoric ask him to write a history of his nation, and Cassiodorus obey. The work, in 12 volumes ( unfortunately lost today ) was named " De origine actibusque Getarum" ( not Gothorum, as someone expected ). This was the main inspiration source for Jordanes "Getica", but he inspire as well from Ablabius, Cl. Pompeius, Dio Cassius, Flavius Josephus, Livius, Mela, Priscus, Strabon, etc....
Actually Jordanes confesses quite clearly where he took his information (Goths = Getae) from - the 5th century writer Paulus Orosius (the passage in question is "modo autem Getae illi qui et nunc Gothi" in Adversum Paganos, I, 16). No one before Orosius connected them, so let's not push the evidences to tell more than they actually do.

Another strange fact is that after many years, and death of Teodoric, when Belisarius, one of the greatest roman generals, conquer the italian peninsula from goths, he take the overname "Geticus Maximus", not Gothicus, and i think goths have an important dacian element, a sort of mixed dacian tribes, since almost all ancients who write about goths intermix their name with gets and daci, and in all regions where goths passing by both names coexist, or elements of dacian culture was spread.
Sources? The conclusion seems far-fetched to me.

They apeare in iberian peninsula in writings of Isidor from Sevilla, who dont know about Jordanes, or in "Gesta Normanorum", of Dudo St. Quentin, or at sweden Carolus Lundius in his "Zamolxis, primum Getarum legislator" ( Upssala, 1687)       
Isidore wrote (early 7th century) after Jordanes (mid 6th century), so he could have inspired from Orosius or Jordanes.

There is an entire list of ancient writers who make the same conection ( consider gots as the same nation with gets/dacians ) who i speake more in another post, but another strange fact is that in a painting from a Ravenna church builded by Teodoric the 3 magicians from the east, who come to bring gifths to Jesus Christ is represented as dacian tarabostes ( as they are on Traian Column, or better on Constantine the Great arch statues), and the 40 female martyrs who follow them are dress in dacian style as well, with a sort of clothes who can still exist in popular dress in Transilvania and Moldove area ( named "fota")
What is this Dacian style and how was it different from other styles? I don't see anything specifically Dacian in that painting. As for Romanian traditional clothing style, if you'll travel in nearby countries you'll notice similar clothing, though each region will claim theirs is unique. So ...

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Oct-2007 at 12:56
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 12:49
I think the most important adaptation they try was in military ( trainning, organization, using of war machines, but trying to adapt to their traditional way of fight and to terrain ) ; they keep they original religion, culture and society ( even the slavery existed, thus little developed, it was more an oriental, patriarchal type, not exactly one see at greeks or especially at romans.

There is almost not connection between the religion and the customs from 5-4th centuries and the ones from 1st century BC and AD, as appears in archaeology and literary records.

In 5-4th century it was a culture and religion imitating the one of the Southern Thracians.

After that, the culture of the Dacians suffered an evolution, a changement, losing its original characteristics, becoming more resemblant to Celtic and other "barbar" cultures of Europe.

In the time of Burebista it was implemented a new form of religion, implying regular forms of cult.

The material culture was missing original characteristics in the period of (and between) the rules of Burebista and Decebal.

diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 11:40
That is the painting i tell about
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 11:40
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 11:37
Now, about that intriguing conection gots-gets, Jordanes was not the first of the last who make it. After Teodoric the Great ( ostrogoth ) defeat Odoacru he establish a kingdom in italic peninsula, and try to make a good coabitation with roman element. So, ones of him conseilors was a roman senator, Cassiodorus. Teodoric ask him to write a history of his nation, and Cassiodorus obey. The work, in 12 volumes ( unfortunately lost today ) was named " De origine actibusque Getarum" ( not Gothorum, as someone expected ). This was the main inspiration source for Jordanes "Getica", but he inspire as well from Ablabius, Cl. Pompeius, Dio Cassius, Flavius Josephus, Livius, Mela, Priscus, Strabon, etc.... Another strange fact is that after many years, and death of Teodoric, when Belisarius, one of the greatest roman generals, conquer the italian peninsula from goths, he take the overname "Geticus Maximus", not Gothicus, and i think goths have an important dacian element, a sort of mixed dacian tribes, since almost all ancients who write about goths intermix their name with gets and daci, and in all regions where goths passing by both names coexist, or elements of dacian culture was spread. They apeare in iberian peninsula in writings of Isidor from Sevilla, who dont know about Jordanes, or in "Gesta Normanorum", of Dudo St. Quentin, or at sweden Carolus Lundius in his "Zamolxis, primum Getarum legislator" ( Upssala, 1687)                                                                                                           There is an entire list of ancient writers who make the same conection ( consider gots as the same nation with gets/dacians ) who i speake more in another post, but another strange fact is that in a painting from a Ravenna church builded by Teodoric the 3 magicians from the east, who come to bring gifths to Jesus Christ is represented as dacian tarabostes ( as they are on Traian Column, or better on Constantine the Great arch statues), and the 40 female martyrs who follow them are dress in dacian style as well, with a sort of clothes who can still exist in popular dress in Transilvania and Moldove area ( named "fota")
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 11:16
About Burebista reign, most translations i read was like that ( sorry for my english ) : "coming up in top of his people, who was exhausted by numerous wars, the get Burebista brink him up so much thru exercises, moderation, and obeying the comands that in couple years he create a powerfull "state"( this is the mostlly used word, but i saw too empire or realm, however, something more then a simple tribal union ruled by the big boss ), and submit to getians almost all neighbours..."                             About Burebista Argedava is much more probable to be in south Romania ( Muntenia ), since Strabon name Burebista GET, a nmae gived by greeks to dacian peoples from that area, and this is the location the most scholars agree, beeing probably a fortress from Argessos river area. About his corelation with Sarmisegetuza, this come mostly from archeology, the Orastie mountain complex of fortress, including Sarmisegetuza, was builded, or began to be build, or reinforced, in times of Burebista.                                                                     As well, Deceneu is said in almost all ancient sources debating the dacians ( i think Jordanes as well ) that remain the king of one of that 4 parts of former Burebista kingdom, the one from Transilvania with capital at Sarmisegetuza most probably, and is even gived the name of one who follow him at throne, Comosicus, Scorrilo ( reign 40 years ), Duras, and give as well the names of some who rule the other parts.                                                                   Vezina is considered as well the great priest but historians, not just second after king, the same situation as in Deceneu case ( i dont know for sure the translation from Dion Cassius 47,10 ).                                                                                       And now, about Deceneu and <belagines> laws. Ofcourse, Deceneu teach the dacians that laws, is no doubt about. Jordanes, ( as others too ) just consider the 2 peoples, gets and gots one and the same, this is the reason he write goths instead og gets. I see no conection between dacian belagines ( who suposedly was given to Zalmoxis by godess Hestia ) and your german tribal laws, who inever heard, sincerely, until now.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 10:57
About that TV show, was a history one who present interesting and little know facts from stone age to iron age thru the country ( as virtual reconstruction made by archeologists of a Cucuteni cultrue village, stuffs from neolithic, etc.), and presented real things, and opinion about the nails who was dated as that old, and having that compostion by a scientific institute.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 10:52
Originally posted by TheARRGH

Did the dacians make any particular large societal or military adaptations to their perpetual enemies, such as the romans, or did they generally stick to more traditional practices?
       I think the most important adaptation they try was in military ( trainning, organization, using of war machines, but trying to adapt to their traditional way of fight and to terrain ) ; they keep they original religion, culture and society ( even the slavery existed, thus little developed, it was more an oriental, patriarchal type, not exactly one see at greeks or especially at romans.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 10:48
Originally posted by Seko

diegis, welcome to the forum. I would like to spend more time reading your posts without straining my eyes. Breaking up your posts into smaller paragraphs would do the trick. Smile
                                                                                                  Thank you Seko, and sorry for my bad computer skills, i am not the usual computer user.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 23:20
Did the dacians make any particular large societal or military adaptations to their perpetual enemies, such as the romans, or did they generally stick to more traditional practices?
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 17:14
To ignore or not you, is my decision.

And turning back to the topic.

It seems that until the 16th century the wood churches of Romanians were made in a technique similar to the Dacian one, as appears on the Column, with the walls kept joined with nails.

A wood church in Hunedoara county (16th century):

Dacians burning one of their fortresses:

Edited by Menumorut - 25-Oct-2007 at 15:14

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 17:03
You're using second person pronouns (e.g. "your"). Come on, ignore me as I am trying to ignore you.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 17:00
Ofcourse I was not writing only for you.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 16:57
Menumorut I've already estabilished I won't discuss with you history topics again, so unless your points will be addressed to me by some other forumer interested in the topic, I will not answer to them.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Oct-2007 at 16:58
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 16:54
Look some info about the Dacian nails:

The Roentgenograma performed on the extra-pure Dacian iron (1-Fe of 99.97% purity). No traces of cementite are visible which means the iron was not obtained in a reduction with C. Its surface was protected against rust with three layers: magnetite, iron oxid and alumosilicates. (according to research made by ICIDAC, director A. Vartic, at the specialized institutes of The Academy of Science in The Republic of Moldavia, under the academician Sergiu Radutanu. Among the team of researchers were Dr. Constantin Posteuca, Dr. Ion Andronic, Dr. Gh. Kiosse, Dr. Galina Volodin, Dr. Daria Grabco, Dr. N. Malcoci.

The ferromagnetical layers of the extra-pure Dacian iron found on the surface are perpendicular to the ones underneath (research done by Dr.Daria Grabco from the Institute of Applied Physics of The Academy of Sciences, The Republic of Moldavia)

Dacians - Technology

ordanes writes about 6 centuries after him and no other sources confirm him.

Is sure that Jordanes was having some info of older origin, he was not writing by fantesy.

There's no document correlating Burebista with Sarmizegetusa, the only city which we have in a text on Burebista appears in Dionysopolis inscription and is Argedava, probably located in today Banat.

In the time of Burebista, the fortress of Costesti was amenaged as a residence for a basileus, as the ceremonial stairs from this fortress shows:

As for your identification between Argedavon from Dionysopolis inscription and Arcidava in Banat, there is not any reason for making such connection. In Muntenia was the most important ensamble of Dacian davae, with the oldest tradition (since 4-3rd centuries BC) and at Popesti, on Arges, was discovered by archaeologists the most important ensamble of Dacian buildings, resembling in a way the Knossos palace (but of much smaller dimensions).

At Arcidava in Banat have been nothing Dacian discovered, as in Muntenia.

Edited by Menumorut - 24-Oct-2007 at 17:13

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 15:53
diegis, who was behind that show? TV shows are not usually the recommended way to source an extraordinary claim (like a nail which does not rust for millenia).

As for Strabo and Buerebista we had that discussion earlier. Nowhere Strabo says Buerebista had a state. He says that he led his tribe and created a great ruleship subordinating neighbouring tribes to Getae (VII.3.11). There's no coin struck with his name, so how would you assign any monetary type to him?

Jordanes writes about 6 centuries after him and no other sources confirm him. However, Jordanes does not  mention Burebista elaborating anything. He only correlates chronologically Burebista with Deceneus and Sulla's, but the rest of the text is about Deceneus (Getica, XI) teaching the Goths (sic!). Bi-lageineis (bellagines, bilagines) represent the Germanic law, which besides it is unlikely Dacians practiced them, it represents a law similar with what other Germanic tribes had. Thus it doesn not prove a state.

There's no document correlating Burebista with Sarmizegetusa, the only city which we have in a text on Burebista appears in Dionysopolis inscription and is Argedava, probably located in today Banat.

Strabo does not say Deceneus followed Burebista seizing a part of his territory, only he was a high priest, a wizard and the most imporant counsellor of Burebista (VII.3.5, VII.3.11).

There is no source calling Vezina a high priest, we only learn from Cassius Dio he was the second in command after Decebal when the battle of Tapae took place.

Therefore, with such inconsistences and lack of proper evidences, I think a Dacian civilization at a much higher level than Celtic or Germanic is untenable.

Edited by Chilbudios - 24-Oct-2007 at 15:56
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 15:00
diegis, welcome to the forum. I would like to spend more time reading your posts without straining my eyes. Breaking up your posts into smaller paragraphs would do the trick. Smile
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 14:34
First, the source is a TV show i saw sometime ago, at public television. They show the nails, and how was studied at a specialized institute on Bucharest ( at Nuclear Physics Institute, if i remeber corect ), to see their composition. I saw there is something on internet as well, but dont know too much about them now, i believe thy are on ones of history museums.  As for dacians compared with other "barbarians", the same Strabon said that Burebista made a "powerfull state", beeing feared even by the romans; so he was a ruler of a "state", meaning an organized society at other level then tribal one, having one single ruler, baked by a religious single one, making coins ( famous, <koson> gold one, and a very well replicas of roman silver <denarii> ) in workshops in Sarmisegetuza area ( royal ones ), trying to impose a monetary unity over the country. As well, as Jordanes said, for the first time was elaborated and write an unitar code of laws ( one of them who probably exist into a form or other ) the < belagines >. They have too a capital, Sarmisegetuza, sourounded by an uniq system of mountain fortifications to protect her. And, a greek inscription for that time name Burebista as "the first and the greatest of all thracian kings". The same Strabon said that after Burebista death his <kindom> was split in 4, and then 5 parts, more powerfull beeing one ruled by great priest Deceneu in what is called today Transilvania. As well, Decebal rule over a kingdom ( but smaller then Burebista ones, probably not able to reunite again all parts) in the same fashion, with king as military/politic ruler, and great priest ( named Vezina ) as religious ruler. They have state workshops, and the cantity of iron objects found in Sarmisegetuza area is one of the bigest in Europe, rivalizing with ones from Roman empire. As well, the amount of treasure centralized by king was huge. Thats are the reasons to say that Dacians was at other level of organization then other so called "barbarians", having a "state", ruled by a central autority ( a dual political religious one), they have even a monetar unity ( tied finaly at roman monetar system, as it hapened today with euro, or how it was not long ago in world with dollar ). Was even found a sort of military training camps ( probably under influence of roman advisors, payed, received do some treaties, or captured in wars ), who show a direction for a unified military training as was seen on roman legions. Dacian kingdom was a young one, and dont have time to develope at a much higher level, do to roman invasions, but was, for sure, at a much higher level then celtic or germanic tribal unions.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 12:20
Diegis, which the source for the 99.97% purity iron, >2,000 years old which did not rust?

As for the Dacian forms of organization compared with other tribes from the Barbaricum, I have not encountered in ancient sources terms which put such a difference. For Strabo, Buerebista is an "archon", which is a rather generic term meaning (authoritarian) "ruler", "leader". For Cassius Dio and in Suda lexicon, Decebalus is a "basileos" ("king"), while for Jordanes and Aurelius Victor, Decebalus is a "rex" ("king"), but one just has to read some ancient accounts like De Bello Gallico or Tacitus' works to realize many barbarian chieftains were regarded in the Graeco-Roman world as "kings" (in the works I've mentoned: "rex", e.g. "Ariovistus, rex Germanorum").
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>