Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dacians, thracians, and their stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dacians, thracians, and their stuff.
    Posted: 22-Apr-2009 at 15:12
Originally posted by ritallos

You might want to check out some scholars before jumping to rash Internet-based conclusions: Getica (Vasile Parvan), Essential Myths (Victor Kernbach), Zalmoxis intre Herodot si Mircea Eliade (Dan Dana), Zalmoxis the Vanishing God (Mircea Eliade), Naissances mystiques (Mircea Eliade)
 Your recommendations are welcome but in my opinion not all of them are so informative or reliable.
Authors like Kernbach (a SF writer with interest in mythologies) and D. Manolache and some others advertised in the other thread about Dacians should be avoided at all costs, for they are anything but scholars. Mircea Eliade is a scholar of religion but his work has little real information about these ancient societies.

Dan Dana's book is interesting and informative, however it's not so much about Dacians, Thracians or Zalmoxis, it is a historiographic, anti-positivist, "postmodern" approach. As the author himself argues, it is a book of pretexts, as people (the author himself, as well) start to write about Zalmoxis but actually write about something else. It is actually a history of the understanding of Zalmoxis, from the ancient Greeks to modern times.

There are numerous hypotheses regarding the name Zalmoxis. Some scholars, like Porphirios trace the name back to a Thracian root (zalmos, meaning "fur" or "skin"); others, like Cless assocaite Zalmoxis with other dieties of the earth, like the Lithuanian Zemeluks, or the goddess Semele, mother of Dyonisus. This theory would be strengthened by the relation of said names with the Thracian term for earth, zemelen. Zemelen itself is derived from Proto-Indo-European heritage, being associated with g'hemel (meaning "that which is the earth's own"). And the list and complication could go on. Take a gander at some of the books I have listed. You won't be sorry.
The theory connecting Zalmoxis to earth is derived from the metathetic form Zamolxis and it was promoted by scholars such as P. Kretschmer and I. I. Russu. However the form Zamolxis (which was compared with the Phrygian zemelen, with the Greek / Asian Semele, with the Slavic zemlja, etc.) is not authentic and the subsequent theory of the chthonic character of this god rests on shaky grounds.

The form Zalmoxis has some parallels in the Thracian linguistic area. We have the name Zalmodegikos attested in IScM 8. Possibly related are the Thracian names Ebruzelmis/Abruzelmis, Dizazelmis, Auluzelmis, etc.. As you pointed out, Porphyrios (3rd century AD) narrated a legend to justify this name with a Thracian word, zalmos, meaning "fur, skin". Based on this account some scholars found also the meaning "protection", hence this god was seen as a protecting god. The -xis ending it is commonly interpreted in relation with Iranian (khshaya, khshathra , etc.), hence Zalmoxis is supposed to mean "protecting king/lord/ruler" (in some sort of Thraco-Scythian syncretism).

Whatever zalmo- meant, another plausible hypothesis (I. I. Russu and commented by Dan Dana as "very probable") is to consider the original name Zalmozis (the confusion between z and x is quite common in Greek paleography), thus showing a suffix attested in several other names (see (Ge)Beleizis in the same Herodotean account, but also the names Zourazi, Disdozi, Eithazi of the Dacian soldiers serving in eastern Egypt in early 2nd century AD)

Edited by Chilbudios - 22-Apr-2009 at 15:16
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 16:07
The point is that Thracian itself may be close to Baltic languages.
Σαυρομάτης
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 15:47
I think Dacian is more related to Thracian than Lithuanian. As Ritallos said Zemelen is Thracian, while Phrygians said zamelos\zemelos, Greeks said Semele (godess), Semeleus (offspring of Semele) or Semelos (snail) and i'm pretty sure there are other cognates in other languages.

Even Albanian has a respectful number of words that cognate with Dacian words. This can't really be a coincidence and therefore i tend to believe Dacian is a balkanic language. The rest can be like it often happens, similarities of the IE languages or a heavy influence by languages spoken north of Romania.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
ritallos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ritallos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2009 at 09:23
Originally posted by Menumorut

Originally posted by Sarmat12

Very interesting. Are there any sources in the internet for that?

First, this topic were in last hours have been a discussion on this subject (to the end of this page and the next page):
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22010&PN=5

Second, I'm not informed, but look what I found with Google:

Proto-Indo-European to Dacian sound changes

Dacian and Thracian as Southern Baltoidic

The Problem of Ancient Minor Languages and Their Origin

There are some mysterious connection between Lituanian and Romanian traditions. I remember the most signifiant, the fact that only the two people have a kind of song (prolonged, slow and sad) called Doina in Romanian and Daina in Lituanian.

You might want to check out some scholars before jumping to rash Internet-based conclusions: Getica (Vasile Parvan), Essential Myths (Victor Kernbach), Zalmoxis intre Herodot si Mircea Eliade (Dan Dana), Zalmoxis the Vanishing God (Mircea Eliade), Naissances mystiques (Mircea Eliade)

There are numerous hypotheses regarding the name Zalmoxis. Some scholars, like Porphirios trace the name back to a Thracian root (zalmos, meaning "fur" or "skin"); others, like Cless assocaite Zalmoxis with other dieties of the earth, like the Lithuanian Zemeluks, or the goddess Semele, mother of Dyonisus. This theory would be strengthened by the relation of said names with the Thracian term for earth, zemelen. Zemelen itself is derived from Proto-Indo-European heritage, being associated with g'hemel (meaning "that which is the earth's own"). And the list and complication could go on. Take a gander at some of the books I have listed. You won't be sorry.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 15:19
Originally posted by Tar Szernd

Cert. no, but the heavy armoured riders were sarmatians on both sides. The dacian cavalry is wearing dacian clothes on the c.

I got some information from someone who works in the field of history, saying that have been discovered in diverse places of Romania fragments of five Dacian armures, made of rings and scalds.

One of it is the second oldest in the world.

One can be seen at the museum in Hunedoara castle (near the castle this year have been made very important Dacian discoveries).

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 12:19
Crlomanesti, a dava in Buzau county

This is the main Dacian settlement in Buzau county. It was the center of the Dacians in these parts, perhaps the Caucodava (because in the 4th century the Goths were fighting against the Huns in Caucaland, which was located in Buzau mountains, and a Dacian tribe called Caucocensii is mentioned by Ptolemy in this area.

In 2003 have been discovered a huge absidal building.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 22:31
So due to environmental defenses combined with the influence of threatening neighbors that also served as something of a political model, the Dacians had the chance that was denied many other "barbarian" tribes...

interesting.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 21:32
I think that Dacians haven't a superior level of organization, but just a more centralized one, but this only in the time of Burebista and later in the time of Decebal.

This was possible due to the clossenes to the Greeks and later Romans and with the advantage of being naturaly protected by the Danube, which delaied their conquest by Romans.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 17:52
Were there any other "barbarian" civilizations in particular that had similar success in terms of societal organization?

I'm getting an interesting picture of the Dacians here...more united than most other "barbarians", good enough fighters-or led well enough-to beat the romans a few times, built a lot of fortresses...
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 15:51
Somehow related you can read here a criticism on Romanian archaeology and some of the stereotypes it promoted: http://www.caorc.org/fellowships/mellon/pubs/Nichulescu.pdf . Such stereotypes, as the author warns, made many findings to be associated automatically to Geto-Dacians, or to be claimed they illustrate a certain aspect of their society.

Why should this gossiper be trusted and the rest of scholars be rejected? Are you sure that he is not mistaking? Are his assertions surely correct?

Why Patzinakia group doesn't quote him?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 14:20
Manufacturing iron nails resistent to rust, having an exquisite political or economical infrastructure (when the sources are rather brief and sometimes silent about it), being an "arch-society" for the latter Goths, these are symptoms of "uber"ness I argue against. These obviously put the Dacians on a "next level" compared to Celtic and Germanic populations because the superiority of the former is affirmed through all these.

"IFA Magurele" is now called "Horia Hulubei", the institute whose analysis (or rather interpretation) was criticized by C. Preda in the articles linked by me earlier in the thread. There (as well as in Republic of Moldavia's institute) are physicists not historians or archaeologists, thus a multidisciplinary crew must be assembled to give the correct verdict. The questions are: is the iron Dacian? is the protective layer also Dacian? Andrei Vartic (the leader of the research team, from Menumorut's dacia.org link) is a well-known protochronist and mystic nationalist signing books like "The technological highway of Dacian civilization", "The way to Kogaionon", "Rolist Eneas ner Eneat" (a weird interpretation of the Thracian Ezerovo inscription) and others alike. I do not know any scholarly review of Vartic's work and research, nor any peer-reviewed source to rely on his findings, therefore the epithet "scientific" cannot be applied.
Compared to A. Vartic, C. Preda is a trustworthy figure, author of many scholarly works and even editor of some. I am not saying you should trust him blindly, so yes, you can take his claims as a hypotheses. However, in the question who's a scholar, who's making reliable research, science, the credentials and the reviews only speak for Preda and the "mainstream" scholars, not for Vartic et al.
Aurora Peţan is a special case, for she's among the few "dacoman"s with diploma (a PhD diploma even) related to her studies, i.e. she is a classical philologist. However, there are many unfavorable reviews like this one: http://www.patzinakia.ro/Noviciola/Agrig-DaciaNemuritoare.htm where it's about a "dacomanic" Yahoo e-Group, and on Peţan, a member of the group, they say "a member of this e-group is a respected and appreciated researchers from the Institute of Linguistics 'Iorgu Iordan', mrs. Aurora Peţan, and about her we can only say we regret she graduated classical philology because the seminaries of mr. professor Poghirc certainly were useless for her! Our source within the institute confirmed for a long while this lady's tendencies to 'traco-manic' madness.". But also there are some demolishing reviews, from the classical philologist and epigraphist Sorin Olteanu: http://soltdm.com/reviews/tabliteromalo.htm , http://soltdm.com/reviews/raspuns_petan.htm and especially http://soltdm.com/langtdm/thes/d/drom_pet.htm where it is revealed the ignorance Peţan displays in regard with relatively trivial topics (one of the most obivous ones, even for an amateur like we are: she wrote "Pomponius Trogus" instead of "Pompeius Trogus" - and she has a PhD in classical philology!). The supporters of A. Peţan are not scholars, among them we can list Dan Romalo, an engineer or Dumitru Manolache, a journalist. According to her own declarations from Dacia Magazine ( www.dacia.org/mag-2006-38.pdf )where else? Smile, Peţan resigned from her academic position she held at "Iorgu Iordan" institute and currently works on her own. Therefore, IMO, neither A. Vartic, nor A. Peţan cannot be accounted as reliable scholars, unlike C. Preda.

Not all historians and archaeologists agree that Burebista had his capital at Sarmizegetusa (or on many details postulated about his reign). Iancu Moţu, an archaeologist I mentioned also earlier in the thread, writes in a Dacia Provincia Augusti (2004), a book on Dacians (mostly as a Roman province but otherwise covering their entire recorded history) that is not known where the center of power (capital) of Burebista was located (and that is usually located with no evidence in Orăştie Mountains and that this complex is dated archaeologically later than his reign!), that it is not known where the military bases where, that it is not known what his economic power was, that we cannot speak of a Dacian state, etc. (pp. 45-56). Somehow related you can read here a criticism on Romanian archaeology and some of the stereotypes it promoted: http://www.caorc.org/fellowships/mellon/pubs/Nichulescu.pdf . Such stereotypes, as the author warns, made many findings to be associated automatically to Geto-Dacians, or to be claimed they illustrate a certain aspect of their society.

Diodorus Siculus' and Jordanes' accounts cannot be collapsed into one, first because there are about 6 centuries between them. Second because they obviously write about different things. Jordanes does not address any law (because he would have used the Latin word for it), but specifically about the Germanic law which he names as such. For Jordanes, the Getae and the Goths are the same (as he confesses), so the law he claims Deceneu gave Getae is the Germanic law he knows (and we also know from other instances), not any law, and certainly not the law imagined by Diodorus being offered by Hestia.

I noticed later I wrote something which could have been misunderstood and it was. I do not claim (I do not see what value would it have anyway) Orosius was the source of this information, only that this information was not born before his era, an era where the Goths were pushed by the Huns, crossed the lands once inhabited by the Getae, entered the Roman Empire, and in a folk and fictional etymology they became one with the Getae . I do not understand what Constantine or Galerius have in common with this fake etymology. Yes, there were some people called "Dacians" in the first decades of 4th century. I don't understand what are you aiming with this observation.

For clothing there are numerous testmonies. For instance, from Ovid we learn (Trist, III, 10) that Getae, Bessi and Sarmathians are  barbarians which spend their winters in pants and skins.

Edited by Chilbudios - 26-Oct-2007 at 14:22
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 12:04
[QUOTE=Sarmat12]To make the discussion more exciting, I decided to post a link to some great parts of one of my favorite Romanian movies called Dacians (Dacii) 1966

Yes, for that times, ( 1966 ) and without today Hollywood trick shots industry was a great realization, even a little naive in some parts. But, thanks to army ( who give most of the "warriors" and figurants ) was qiute impresive on some battle scenes.
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:48
Chilbudios, i never claimed that Dacians are a sort of "uber" nation, and Celtics and Germanics some inferior races, maybe you see too much so called dacomaniacs in every word about dacians. I just said that they haved a superior organization of society and military, especial.                     About that nails, was presented on a public television, and dated by scientists from IFA Magurele, in Bucharest, and, as Menumorut present, by scientists from Rep. Moldova, so, if you want to consider that just hypotheses, is your opinion, i am not try to force you to believe anything.                                                                                             About the academician you said, he have until now a singular opinion, i think, in his, what i will call with your words, <hypothese>. Even lingvist and historian Aurora Petan, who pretend she translate the dacian write tablets have more suporters in shes theory.                                                  About Sarmisegetuza, as a capital, or began to be builded as a capital in times of Burebista, all the historians and archeologists who studied "the problem" agree with that. If you are one of them, and have another view, or know better what was in fact, please tell me your arguments ( or argues of historians.etc who you said not agree with that, i am quite courious to know ).                                       About Diodor, and the laws he write, he make a comparation between 3 profets, Zarathustra, Moses and Zalmoxis, and how all of them receiving the laws from a deity. He dont say "belagines", just laws. But Deceneu, the high priest of Zalmoxis cult, obviously teach the Zalmoxis laws ( named by Jordanes <belagines> )who this received in the past from godess Hestia.                                                                                                          About Gets=Gots, as you saw, is what not only the Orosius, but a lot of others in his time who believe that, and this not mean that one take it for other the idea, since they was all contemporans more or less, but this mean that this was the comon view in that times, and all think like this. Getae ( Dacians ) was still see as an individual "nation" at that time, since emperor Constantine the Great take the over name Dacicus Maximus, or another emperor, Galerius ( with thracian and Dacian origins ), as Lactantius said, even want to change the name of empire from Roman to Dacian.                                                                                                          As well, i will like to see what you said about similarity in clothes between dacians and sarmatians, for ex. Because the comon view of historians and ethnologists who study the dacians from roman representations and modern romanian popular clothes reach to the same conclusions, that if is not remain exactly the same ( as it is probably in mountains remoted areas), for sure coming from the ancient ones. And this is obvious even for not a specialized person, as was the situation with Badea Cartan, the transilvanian peasent who walk on foot until the Rome, in XIX century, to see the Traian Column, and about who italian journalists write in titles, after saw him on Column < A dacian come down from the Column >, the similarity of his "look" with the dacians sculpted there beeing obvious.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:15
The Romanian contribution was crucial, nevertheless. Wink
Σαυρομάτης
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:13
A magnificent movie, but is an international production.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:05
To make the discussion more exciting, I decided to post a link to some great parts of one of my favorite Romanian movies called Dacians (Dacii) 1966

Enjoy !

Edited by Sarmat12 - 26-Oct-2007 at 01:14
Σαυρομάτης
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 21:07
Like the materials on
dacia.org

and many of the materials on
enciclopedia-dacica.ro

and on other Dacoman sites, the work Dacia Preistorica is pure fantesy.

Is impressing the efforts of these people to edit so much things for web and is helpful in some aspects (when they take scientifical information and offer it without interpretations or when they are offering visual documentation).

Edited by Menumorut - 25-Oct-2007 at 21:11

erton View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote erton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 20:44

this can help you

the time is the greatest enemy of the men
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 16:26
diegis, I do not have a "nail" but a simple principle: extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidences. If the arguments do not follow, why should we believe in them? Okay, we can launch as many hypotheses as you like, but this is what they will ever be: hypotheses. To move beyond that we need solid evidences. I hope you have noticed I have not described the Dacians as a "nothing" but at a similar level with Germans or Celts, other contemporary European and non-Roman civilizations. The claim that Dacians were some superior and brilliant civilization is extraordinary and requires a solid proof which I see lacking.  

That academician you call "not quite a believable source" is Constantin Preda, scholar, archaeologist, president of the Romanian Numismatic Society, ex-director of the Romanian Archaeology Institute of Bucharest, familiar (at least) with the Koson coins for more than 30 years (http://books.google.com/books?id=D2CCu7V4V30C&q=constantin+preda+koson&dq=constantin+preda+koson&ei=Gq8gR_qmNKjA7gK2ucXqBw&pgis=1 ). I'm not sure what exactly looks unreliable about him. And Kosons are controversial artefacts, like many other "miraculous" artefacts whose appearance and context are dubious.

If you read what I've wrote earlier on the thread, you'll see my opinion is not just my extreme skepticism, there are also several other scholars (historians, archaeologists, historiographers) doubting such claims and criticising the studies advancing groundless conclusions. I've seen no verosimile reconstruction of Orăştie mountains complex in 50 BC, it's relatively well-known there areas which are not well-explored archaeologically, so the argument inferring Sarmizegetusa as a capital it does not hold water.

Diodorus Siculus does not say anything about Hestia offering belagines. Moreover, Jordanes while mentioning the latter, does not assign them to Zalmoxis but to Deceneus.

All the testimonies you're mentioning on Goths = Getae, are quasi-contemporary with Orosius, I do not which one of them is first, but certainly no one is earlier than the latter quarter of the 4th century, at a time when Getae no longer mentioned in the contemporary chronicles as a distinct tribe, which only can lead to the conclusion that during that time the identity was fabricated.

The ancient representations offer many similarities in clothing. Check Illyrians or Sarmathians, for instance. In some book on Roman times warfare (I've forgot its title now) I've encountered a syntagm on Dacian clothing: "ubiquituos tunic and cloak combination".

Edited by Chilbudios - 25-Oct-2007 at 16:38
diegis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote diegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 15:42
Well, i see you have a "nail" against that nailsTongue, but i hope is not just because are considered dacians, or apeare on a dacomaniac site too, there is true things as well there, and i dont think public television or a scientic institute is dacomaniac too. I hope you dont fall in the other extreme, and, if some said that dacians are the center of the world, you believe they are nothing, you make the same mistake, but in other direction. About the gold bracelets, and that academician, he said too that koson are made by transilvanian renascentist, in medieval time !!!, so is not quite a believeble source, and, all was prouved to be more a political thing, finaly, since someone says that hear that someone sell that bracelets to a politician, and this was use by his adversaries, that he make some trafic, but, yes, someone apear and say is not trafic, because the bracelets is false, and bla,bla,bla...  However, the majority opinion is that are dacians.                                                                               About Sarmisegetuza, i dont agree with you ( and i dont understand why you dont believe the archeologists and historians who make that studies ), since was build in Burebista times, and was the most important fortress comlex, i dont see any logical reason to not be the capital.                      About Hestia giving the laws to Zalmoxis, this acount come from Diodor from Sicily, were Zalmoxis is conected with Zarathustra and moses, all 3 receiving the laws from a diety.                                                             About other peoples who conect the gets with gots, lets see :-Philostorgius (368-425)-"scythians before Istros, who elders name them Getae, and ones from our times Goths" -  Cl.Claudianus"Debello gothico" ( 402 ) use word goth just in title, in rest of writing using name Getae and Dacian; - Ausonius, in an epigrame to emperor Gratian, - Prudentius (348-405), in "Divinity of Christos", name the same goths as gets, and the Alaric as Getae tyran; - Hyeronimus (345-420) : "certainly all the erudits from the past use...for Goths, the name Get, instead of Gog and Magog".                                                                           About the painting, if you will look to a taraboste (dacian noble)  from Traian Column, or to one of statues representing dacians ( from Vatican colection, or from Constantine the Great arch, or from Napoli ), you will see the similarities with that painting. About our popular clothing style ( who remble in many parts one you see on Traian Column or other representations ), and his similarities with ones from nearby countries is logical to think that was borowed by them from us, since in time of Decebal, Traian or even Teodoric we cannt speake about bulgarians, or hungarians, or serbs.                             
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>