Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heodotus's incompetence regarding history of India

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heodotus's incompetence regarding history of India
    Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 06:55
I read herodotus's history of the worlds and i have to say that his passages regarding India leave a lot to be desired. This region's wealth was so that its annual tribute was more than the rest of the Persian provinces combined and Persia ruled much of the known world at the time including Egypt and Mesopotamia. The tribute of the other provinces was measured in talons of silver while India's wealth was measured in talons of Gold, such was this regions wealth and of course the culture which produced that wealth must have been pretty sophisticated but instead of telling us about the mainstream Indian culture he instead focuses on a few exotic (to him at least) tribes living on the fringes of Indian society who eat their dead and had sex in the open and who according to Herodotus had semen the colour of black. There might be the possibility that they may have been the ancestors of modern shudras. Also i find his works to be very timeless because his focus are the stories and myths of a culture instead of describing the modern day to day lives of the people of the culture. Would the focus of any historian or any intellectual for that matter would be what is the focus of Herodotus if they are transported to those places and times. I don't think so.  
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 08:10
Herodotus, much like most ancient and medieval history chronicles are not to be taken at face value. Read sources (also) through scholarship, otherwise the image you'll get from them will be most probably erroneous.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Sep-2007 at 08:12
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 09:10
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Herodotus, much like most ancient and medieval history chronicles are not to be taken at face value. Read sources (also) through scholarship, otherwise the image you'll get from them will be most probably erroneous.

Please elaborate what you mean. I have read his actual works including account of egypt so how can scholarly sources beat reading the actual thing. Its the same like people trying to find all sorts of meaning in bible or the Vedas or nostradamus's calling it the hidden meaning and the miracle of that book. The rest of us would rather be a lot more objective. I read his account of Egypt hoping to get a window of ancient Egypt but apart from some of the sections which he devotes to some practices of Egypt like their metrarchial society he devotes the bulk of their books to the tall stories of the Egyptians which frankly i could have read anywhere. So please tell me that what could other scholars enlighten me about something which i did not see while reading  the primary source thoroughly.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 10:02
Herodotous had his sources, he did not visit himself most of the places he wrote about, instead he relied on other travellers. Greeks had a fair view of their immediate neighbors and commercial partners, like Persians and Egyptians or even Skythians  (to name the obvious ones) so Herodotous would have fair descriptions from fellow Greeks travelers and merchants.
When it comes to Indians and Abyssinians, the view becomes obscure and myth takes the place of history. Greek, till the times of Alexander did not know had this vision of the world:

So Herodotus had to write his stories about India from the stories of others, without the possibility to verify their accuracy.

Edited by Yiannis - 13-Sep-2007 at 10:05
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 11:03
Please elaborate what you mean. I have read his actual works including account of egypt so how can scholarly sources beat reading the actual thing. Its the same like people trying to find all sorts of meaning in bible or the Vedas or nostradamus's calling it the hidden meaning and the miracle of that book. The rest of us would rather be a lot more objective. I read his account of Egypt hoping to get a window of ancient Egypt but apart from some of the sections which he devotes to some practices of Egypt like their metrarchial society he devotes the bulk of their books to the tall stories of the Egyptians which frankly i could have read anywhere. So please tell me that what could other scholars enlighten me about something which i did not see while reading  the primary source thoroughly.
There's no comparision between Herodotus and the Bible or even worse Nostradamus. There's no "the rest of us" because I believe I am presenting you the mainstream scholarly view, i.e. that Herodotus like many other chronicles is a source, but must be read with caution. Not everything is said there is a fact, much of it is actually a perception of certain people living in a certain age and we must understand their mindset first and their ways of expression before attempting to understand the chronicle and furthermore formulate judgements upon it.

Beside some modern editions of Herodotus' works which usually have a foreword and several other considerations on his work (through footnotes or separate chapters/sections), there is, for instance, "The Cambridge Companion to Herodotus" (published, of course, by Cambridge University Press) or "Herodotus and his world", a collection of studies concerning various topics and aspects from Herodotus' works. I'm sure if you search in libraries or on the Internet you will find many other materials as he is quite a well-known author and much study was dedicated to his work.

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 11:15
That still does not excuse him for wasting too much of the bulk of his works on stories and myths and not on the details of the everyday cultures which he was visiting.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 11:41

He gives the details he knew and thought they are worth saying. He gives them in his own manner, but also reflecting his time and place. He did not write for you, but for him and the world he knew or - let's say - he could anticipate. The purpose of his writing is what he intended not what you expect, 2500 years after him.

Your judgements are simply wrong for you're not reading the sources as you should. But in the end you can believe what you like on Herodotus.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Sep-2007 at 11:45
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 11:58

Just another chronicalor. He wrote what he heard.

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:00
I agree with all that you have said. Its just that i was expecting something else. But yes you are right he had no way of knowing that what will be my expectations 2500 years later than when he composed his works.     
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 15:12
I think Bilal u have to be fair to Herodotus, as sparten said: "Just another chronicalor. He wrote what he heard."

On a lot of matters he goes onto say that this is what he has heard, but doesn't really believe it himself. He did well to travel to the extent he did, in those days. If anything he has served us well by noting down some of the ancient beliefs of the people that he came across or heard of.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 17:20
Herodotus was well read in the complete Greek intellectual library up to his day, he knew the works of all major thinkers of his and previous generations. Herodotus did not visit any of the places he mentions, at least the ones outside of the Aegean. The source has many erronous accounts, however, it shouldn't be looked at face value, and should be looked at for overall truths, and trends, and also as a guide to the Greek worldview in 4th century BC.
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 05:42
Oh i was under the impression that he actually visited those places that which he writes about. I thought that he traveled to those places after Alexander's conquests and wrote what he had seen. In that context then his devoting a large bulk of his writings to the stories and tales of those palce is understandable.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 10:10
Originally posted by Chilbudios

He gives the details he knew and thought they are worth saying. He gives them in his own manner, but also reflecting his time and place. He did not write for you, but for him and the world he knew or - let's say - he could anticipate. The purpose of his writing is what he intended not what you expect, 2500 years after him.

Your judgements are simply wrong for you're not reading the sources as you should.

And this is why no one should read primary source texts alone, as they're wont to be misinterpreted without an explanation of their context and purpose.

It is hardly surprising that a modern reader does not find what he expected in a 2500 year old text, as it's written for an audience with entirely different expectations and presumptions.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 13:00
He is a chronicolar as I have said before. Not a historian as such. To his credit he gives his own opinions on what he has been told and tries to make it as credible and rational as possible.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 16:04

What do you expect from him? As other fellows had say he only wrote few things based on few information. If you want great quality in grecorromans authors you should read the work of peoples after the macedonian  invasion of India, specially Megasthenes and the survived portions of his work "Indika" wich is used in most of the books about India for tell about that society:

regards

Edited by Ikki - 14-Sep-2007 at 16:06
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 21:55
Great link Ikki, thanks a lot
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2007 at 06:55
Hi bilal, if you are interested you can read too the "The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea" writed by the greeks around I and III century CE, some people say before I century BC; it is an economic manual of the Indic ocean, and talk about India between the 40 and 63 chapters, but give some information in all the text:

Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2007 at 13:55
Can anyone give me similar links to the works of Greek chroniclers of the time about other places which they visited
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 08:07

At the time of Herodotus there were many jonian travellers now called the Logographers but i don't know if survived any of their works. I only know the famous authors of roman time, like Herodotus or Strabo who said that he travelled to Egypt, Kush... And of course of second hand, Strabo, Pliny, Tacitus the same Herodotus who wrote following the information of other peoples, but if you ask me i don't know any better example of true traveler than Megasthenes.

About of India around the I century of CE there is an extense work of Chinese traders who wrote about India and the indic ocean (in fact, about Roman empire too). Is similar to the "Periplum..." but from the chiense side.

Edited by Ikki - 19-Sep-2007 at 08:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 08:15
He is the "Father of history", that is how, he has been projected.

Do all of you doubt his "fatherhood of history"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>