Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Afghan Drug Baron - Rare Footage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afghan Drug Baron - Rare Footage
    Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 19:04
According to the UN, Afghanistan is set for a record opium harvest this year. Mansour Khan has built a lucrative empire trafficking opium. We join his men on two drugs runs.

Khans agent knows the farmer desperately needs money. Its not really what Im looking for but considering your desperate situation, I will make you an offer. The opium is loaded into vehicles to be driven to Iran. Its a dangerous journey. Several times, shots are fired. Then, theres no sign of the scout at the agreed meeting point. Moments later, the scout calls in a warning. Turn the car around and go another route, orders one man. They do so and the drugs arrive safely. The second run also makes it to Iran without a hitch. In a few days, Khan has smuggled enough opium to make 120 kg of heroin.
Mehran Bozorgnia

Click here to watch it in Realplayer Format:

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 22:02
Admin please move topic to Current Affairs (I'm not sure how it got here).

Thanx.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 14:45

Well dear do you know that Helmand province alone has outnumbered the entire world in the production of Opium.

In last two years, Afghanistan's production of opium has rose to record new heights.

This is a graph showing the production of opium from 1996-2007.

graphic

The lastest report of UN totally criticized the work of UK fighting against the production of Drugs and spending millions of dollors and still the production is rising to new heights.

The latest article about Afghanistan's record in production of opium could be seen at BBC.com.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 15:21
The UK is probably funneling money into Opium production, given its track record and history in the region!   The mind really boggles as to how NATO can turn a blind eye to such a blight.  I heard of some sort of proposition a few months back where Western Drug companies would snap up Afghanistan's opium for the production of opiat drugs such as morphine etc., whatever happened to that? Too consistant with sustainable development and stability in the region for western regimes? Probably.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 15:47
Because NATO stays in its bases and venture out a few kms from there pops a few villagers, returns and issues a press release.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 16:54
Originally posted by Zagros

The UK is probably funneling money into Opium production, given its track record and history in the region!   The mind really boggles as to how NATO can turn a blind eye to such a blight.  I heard of some sort of proposition a few months back where Western Drug companies would snap up Afghanistan's opium for the production of opiat drugs such as morphine etc., whatever happened to that? Too consistant with sustainable development and stability in the region for western regimes? Probably.

They stopped it because pharmaceutical companies would lose out big time to local growers and distributors in Afghanistan and elsewhere.  Plus they say it could also start illegal manufacturing plants that could be used by drug lords, promote the drug trade,  and ofcourse..it would lower the price of the drugs.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 17:05
I really can't blame the farmers for this, but the people who are buying it.

In Afghanistan its easy to see the faults because it is wide and open and exposed for everyone to see and judge.

I haven't seen any documentaries about the Drug Lords who transport these drugs to Europe and make billions in profit in Europe.   Thats where the real problem lies, the buyers and transporters in richer countries.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 17:22
Originally posted by Afghanan

Originally posted by Zagros

They stopped it because pharmaceutical companies would lose out big time to local growers and distributors in Afghanistan and elsewhere.  Plus they say it could also start illegal manufacturing plants that could be used by drug lords, promote the drug trade,  and ofcourse..it would lower the price of the drugs.

Oh, of course... $$$. how silly of me.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 17:41
Where there is supply there is demand...the Brittish got rich through getting the Chinease hooked on Opium, to be honest there isn't a moral leg to stand on, Afgan farmers are doing what is in their interest, its no worse than tobacco or alcohol producers, all are drugs, all can be devastating.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 05:58

Although the Afghan farmer is compelled to grow the crop for the sake of survival, does he not himself consider it immoral?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 06:08
Probably not, Malizai. He considers what people do with the opium immoral. To him, the product he produces is just a flower, or at least that would be the justification he would give. Other than that, what's his alternative?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 07:07
They use quite a lot of drugs here. Until 20 years ago, ads for opium etc were v common. So I would venture, not much sleep is lost.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 13:11
Originally posted by Afghanan

I haven't seen any documentaries about the Drug Lords who transport these drugs to Europe and make billions in profit in Europe.   Thats where the real problem lies, the buyers and transporters in richer countries.

By reading your highlighted comment I just remembered some lines mentioned in a local newspaper where it said that around than 20 - 25% of the export is done through the NATO and US army as most of the soldiers after completing their stay and going back, take a certain amount of drugs to transport it for the Lords and are highly commitioned for that.

I don't guess it could be true but then again I say why not?

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 19:19
The old Hashish is nothing new to the region, its been around for centuries, infact its probobly less "taboo" than in Europe although its more widely used in Europe.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 01:37
There was a nice report in a public radio station here on how Turkey transformed its illegal Opium farms into mass production, government controlled operations  of Morphine, Codine, etc. medicinal drugs.

The whole idea was to pressure the government enough to tackle the problem. 

The problem in Afghanistan is that the government is unstable and corrupt.  I believe if Medicinal manufacturing plants spring up, the top smugglers will just transform their business to medicinal plants that will double as cocaine refineries...and no government institution would be able to monitor it, especially with instability in the South already.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 06:12
The problem in Afgahnistan is that there is no such thing as a government.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 17:17
There is a government but it is limited in what it can do.  Even if they wanted to implement control on the production, there is no way they could do it without the help of NATO or ISAF.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 17:27
Seeing the quality of coalition soldiers in Iraq and elswhere I will not be surprised to find that groups within the Nato military and civilian brass are involved to their ears in this very lucrative trade. The KGB with all the strictness that communists have operated and former members still operate drug trafficking networks in former soviet republics and the latter comes from Bob Baer who was a ormer CIA operative attached to the region.

Al-Jassas
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2007 at 12:33
Well putted there Al-Jassa,
I mean how in the world is it possible that if the coalition forces want to destroy those drug feilds and they can't?
Don't they knew where are those feilds or don't they have the firepower to destroy them?
I don't think so, when it comes to their intelligence they may even know what a person is doing in his bathroom and when it comes to their firepower I am sure that if they can bomb the poor and inocent civilians and then say that it was a mistake, they do have enough firepower to waste it.

Post Reply Post Reply