Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best medieval unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: The Best unit
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [34.21%]
6 [5.26%]
20 [17.54%]
14 [12.28%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [7.02%]
4 [3.51%]
2 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
21 [18.42%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best medieval unit
    Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 09:25
Originally posted by SovietJesus

Fine, then please be kind enough to describe to me the supposedly vast difference between Mongol and Turkish arrows--both had iron heads, so what's your case?

No, you read bows as arrows, that was the problem. Or the other way around, can't remember at this point.

No, it was simply claimed that Turkish arrows couldn't penetrate armor--no mention was made of the supposed problem lying specifically with either the capability and/or design of the bow, or the arrow.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 15:44
Is that the post you were quoting? I was under the impression you were quoting a post before that one.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 20:02
The primary reason why the English won the battle of Agincourt was because the French were mostly knights in heavy armor going through unforgiving mud making them easy targets for any bow whether a Longbow or the Mongol's composite bow
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 15:46

Cavalry / Cavalry archers - Huns, mostly because of their ferocity in battle, and their skills on the horseback.

Infantry - Romans, because of their discipline and tactics.

Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 16:21

First of all, similar units should be compared:  Cavalry and bowmen are two distinct aspects of warfare.....so

Before 1526  (battle of pavia)

Best  Heavy infantry: Macedonian's,  flamand's( belgium) or swiss's phalanx

Best light infantry: English (welsh) longbowmen

Best heavy cavalry: French Full plated knights

Best Light cavalry: parthians or mongols mounted archers

Best overall units: Tibetans heavy cavalry and Carolingians  "milites" ( both were heavy armored cavalry, armed whith bow and spear and could dismount as well)

After 1526 and before Napoleon

Best heavy cavalry: no more useless against firearms

Best light cavalry: not very useful but cossacks

Best heavy infantry: no more

Best light infantry: French gunners

From napoleon to "waterloo"

Best cavalry: french hussards

Best infantry: french "grognards"

Sorry it's not french pride, it's just an historical fact

From waterloo to WWII

Best cavalry: hard to say, can't make up my mind; perhaps US confederate cavalry

Best infantry: Prussian gunners 

Since WWII:

Best cavalry ( armored vehicles): US abrahams tank

Best infantry: German third Reich's SS and French Legions

I don't have enough knowledge to speculate on navy and aviation

Edited by Demetrios
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 13:04
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Originally posted by demon

Quote:
it took about 5~8 years to train a longbow while mongols were just recruits(they used bow as a tool 4 survival!).....mongol gets upper hand

What are your sources for this?

I think the game "Age of Kings", on the section "history".  I'll check.

I wouldn't rely on a game for reliable info!

The history section in Age of Kings is accurate.

Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 17:35
 The history section of the game could be correct, whenever it is or not, you must check historical documents to be sure
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 18:48
are huskarls or whatever they were called an option? they were well armoured and strong
Demetrios View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Demetrios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 19:12
 Huskarls were totaly wiped out by Guillaume(William) le conqurant at the battle of "Hasting" in 1066
MoriheiUeshiba View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 13:19

SIGH

again ppl the samurai would obviously be the best unit i mean they were the greatest swordsman of all time and on top of that they were the first ppl to master archery on horseback i mean come on, all the mongolian archer could do is shoot arrows

Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 13:24

oh yea and also they were experts in using a spear

i mean is there anything they cant do?

Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 13:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 13:27

If u ask me, if you put one of each of the units from the poll on one battle field the samurai would be the last man standing.

Edited by Zero_X
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 13:38

again ppl the samurai would obviously be the best unit i mean they were the greatest swordsman of all time and on top of that they were the first ppl to master archery on horseback i mean come on, all the mongolian archer could do is shoot arrows

Umm.  If you studied history, you would learn that Japanese were not the first ones to master horseback archery (Scythians for example), and mongols didn't just use archers- their main weapon were javelins and spears

Grrr..
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 13:41
yes but on the poll its mongol archers
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 21:04

Off course u r talking about ur knowlege about a game. U couldnt think that any mongol archer have only that weapon. They carry a sword, an axe and a special spear. This is a law in the yassa, order by Genghis khan it self. If u check the manguday, ull see it. Besides, cavalry archers are even older. Scytians, sarmatas, and all the stepes people u think were master in that weapon. take a look at Dario`s invation to scitians country.

Not yet mein friend, not yet
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 21:12

Mongol horse archers are more skilled than most people think.
No other unit can be as independent as a Mongol warrior. He has 4-5 horses, 3 quivers of arrows (which he replenishes after a battle if possible), a compound doubly curved bow with a good range of 300 metres, a small buckler, sword, dagger, a mace or an axe, a lance with a hook and reverse spike and his armor protection vary with his success in the battlefield.

Genghis Khan had a personal tumen of 10000. Of these I think there are 1000 quiver bearers. These quiver bearers have to be able to pull a 7 Shi bow (I don't know how strong the bow is exactly, but it has to be amazingly hard), can switch horses at the gallop, pick up weapons on the ground at full gallop, ride underneath the horse (with only 1 feet in the stirrup) etc.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 22:25

"If u ask me, if you put one of each of the units from the poll on one battle field the samurai would be the last man standing."

Well... depends on the smartness of the units. What if the "smart" unit decides to run away until the others finished each other out?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 16:49

"Mongol horse archers are more skilled than most people think.
No other unit can be as independent as a Mongol warrior. He has 4-5 horses, 3 quivers of arrows (which he replenishes after a battle if possible), a compound doubly curved bow with a good range of 300 metres, a small buckler, sword, dagger, a mace or an axe, a lance with a hook and reverse spike and his armor protection vary with his success in the battlefield.

Genghis Khan had a personal tumen of 10000. Of these I think there are 1000 quiver bearers. These quiver bearers have to be able to pull a 7 Shi bow (I don't know how strong the bow is exactly, but it has to be amazingly hard), can switch horses at the gallop, pick up weapons on the ground at full gallop, ride underneath the horse (with only 1 feet in the stirrup) etc."

They are no more skilled or different than other steppe army of upper asia

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 15:43
Originally posted by Zero_X

If u ask me, if you put one of each of the units from the poll on one battle field the samurai would be the last man standing.

i think the samurai would be one of the first few to go..

and i also think there are better units that weren't represented in the poll

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>