Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best medieval unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: The Best unit
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [34.21%]
6 [5.26%]
20 [17.54%]
14 [12.28%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [7.02%]
4 [3.51%]
2 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
21 [18.42%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best medieval unit
    Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 06:30
Now which is the best
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 07:17
mmmh, what are Teutonic archers and Golden Mamelukes?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 07:18

sorry, TEUTONIC KNIGHTS

and Golden Mamelukes, the nobles of Egypt and Syria, with lances and they wore golden armour, you may take them as Mamelukes.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 07:22
you mean the Khassaki?
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 11:02
SInce Mongols thrased every army they met during this time period, and since the Keshiks are the imperial guard. I cast my vote.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 11:22

Well,  for me it is a hard decision of Byzantine Cataphract or Tuetonic knight,  I am going to vote Cataphract though because Tuetonic Knights' as far as I can imagine wore so much armor that if they were knocked down they would probably be out of the fight

So Cataphract then

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 11:33
now, did the byzantines call them cataphtactorii(armoured horsemen)???
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:58

Originally posted by Huitzilopochtli

because Tuetonic Knights' as far as I can imagine wore so much armor that if they were knocked down they would probably be out of the fight

I have a feeling that this is a myth

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 13:28
I said mongol archers speculating that the author meant mongolic cavarly archer
Grrr..
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 14:07
Some of the units didn't coexist at the same time as others did! The Byzantine Katapractoi was the best equipted heavy cavalry of its time, but didn't last into the time of other units, like the Longbowman or even later knights. 
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 14:15
yes, cavalry archers, and from the Kataphractii, then didnt they exist in 12th century...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 14:27
MOngol archer cavalry was by far the most superior, I like the Keshiks more for cool armor but in terms of effectiveness range and mobility reign supreme over armor and brute force.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:39
I would like to correct the myth of the mongol supierority in army, no record whatsoever mentioned that their archery, organization,, discipline or armament than any other previous nomads that dominated mongolia, there is no reason just because they were more successful to suppose that their army is of supieror quality than others, there are many occasion when mongol armies were beaten by inferior odds too and vise versa, it all depend on the commander and thats one of the rason the mongol army was successful. 
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:47

Also what is the time frame covered for this "Medeval", if its up to 1500, then I would say Ottoman since their firearm troops by that time was the most developed and trained.

If its before firearms, then its virtually impossible to decide since many of the armies were equippted with the same thing and both won and lost battles throughout.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 19:29
I had to choose between Mongol Archers and English Longbowmen.  I chose the Mongols because in the end they were more successful that the Longbowmen who although devastating to the French, weren't able to totally defeat them.
Member of IAEA
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 21:30
I think the mongols have got their vote split between the keshik's and the "mongol archers" since technically the keshiks were also mongol archers and were the imperial guard
boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:23
Polish Hussars.
Tonifranz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tonifranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 06:42
The English Longbowmen. They were the defining weapon of the Hundred Years' War and gave  England it's military reputation during the Middle Ages.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 11:45

Originally posted by boody4

Polish Hussars.

i like it...

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 00:42

Originally posted by boody4

Polish Hussars.

They were not medieval.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>