Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The best medieval unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: The Best unit
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [34.21%]
6 [5.26%]
20 [17.54%]
14 [12.28%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [7.02%]
4 [3.51%]
2 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
21 [18.42%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best medieval unit
    Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 21:36
I want the primary source for this, because none of those I've came across regarding to Mongolian tactics mention these.
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 05:30

Originally posted by warhead

I want the primary source for this, because none of those I've came across regarding to Mongolian tactics mention these.

I'll see what I can track down.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 09:23
The mongols simply won most, so I casted my vote on them (the archers). But I guess the keshik and the mamluks were the best kind of unit available, although they were too few. The teutonic knights sucked big time, but the order's crossbowmen were pretty good...
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 15:12
Bah, sucked? You're talking about the Teutonic Order itself, one of probally the hardiest groups of men ever so devoted to religion, helping hold back the tide of the Muslims. Now combine skill, power, devotion, and German stubborness, and you have one hell of a fighting force. They weren't as good as some others, but they didn't suck, either.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:35
Originally posted by SovietJesus

Originally posted by dsjdsj

Originally posted by Cywr

Do you think you could make your points and express your opinions with out trolling?

this is not trolling. I think that the longbows are better. What's wrong with that?

You were making fun of the asian way of making bows. That's trolling.

you are seriously annoying me. All I said was the asian bows were harder to manufacture than the longbow. This is not trolling, you are talking nonesense.

Edited by dsjdsj
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:49
Can someone tell me of some battles where the Roman Cataphracts were used with success. I would imagine Basil II used them a lot as he was buried near a cavalry training area.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:59

you are seriously annoying me. All I said was the asian bows were harder to manufacture than the longbow. This is not trolling, you are talking nonesense.

Sure, Longbows are a heck lot easier to make, just that they are not as good in performance as asian ones

Grrr..
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:38

Originally posted by Someone

Your wording implied it, or I just seriously screwed up the translation.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:59

Originally posted by Someone

Your wording implied it, or I just seriously screwed up the translation.

a waste time to talk with you.

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 08:23

Bah, sucked? You're talking about the Teutonic Order itself, one of probally the hardiest groups of men ever so devoted to religion, helping hold back the tide of the Muslims. Now combine skill, power, devotion, and German stubborness, and you have one hell of a fighting force. They weren't as good as some others, but they didn't suck, either.

Muslims? The teutonic knights mainly fought the balts, as you know. And they were heavily defeated by the balts (prussians, lithuanians) in various battles

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 12:45
don't forget the Order of St. maria was initially founded in the Holy land and they also fought against Muslims there...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:44
Originally posted by demon

Sure, Longbows are a heck lot easier to make, just that they are not as good in performance as asian ones

Demon,

This is actually debateable.

Composite bows can launch arrows at far longer ranges with special flight arrows.

But, both types were used in battle at similar ranges.

And the English soldier of fortune, Sir John Smythe (who fought in the Balkans against the Turks), was of the opinion that the longbow was better, as he mentioned in his famous 1590 treatise, Certain Discourses Military.

Peace,

David

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 07:44

But Turkish arrows could not pierce armour!  While Mongol arrows could.

I don't think long bow was any easier to make. Is there any sources for this? After all, it was big and required skill (no plain idiot could make a bow that has such a long range and strong strike power).

Edited by Evildoer
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 07:46

But, both types were used in battle at similar ranges.

Oh well.  Maybe because all battles Ive studies with composite bow were defensive warfare (defending fort), I would agree with you on that .

Grrr..
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 07:52
Originally posted by Evildoer

But Turkish arrows could not pierce armour!  While Mongol arrows could.

Still trolling, I see?

Turkish and Mongol bows were very similar, as I'm sure you know. 

I don't think long bow was any easier to make. Is there any sources for this? After all, it was big and required skill (no plain idiot could make a bow that has such a long range and strong strike power).

Both require a skilled bowyer, to be sure--but the fact remains that the construction of a composite bow is a far more complicated process.

Peace,

David

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 08:06

range isn't the only measurement of performance..

composite bows were more complicated to make and maintain, but they made up for this with better accuracy and piercing power..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 09:44

His Majesty Landsknektface has trolled "trolling again?" without bringing forth any evidence to disprove my claim. I suggest His Majesty bring some proofs before trolling. 

Edited by Evildoer
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 09:49

Vote = Mongol Archers

Best range, best bows, best arrows, best tactics............I'm noticing a trend there

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 23:01

double post

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 23:04
Originally posted by I/eye

range isn't the only measurement of performance..

composite bows were more complicated to make and maintain, but they made up for this with better accuracy and piercing power..

What are your sources for the supposedly better "piercing power" of the composite bow over the longbow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>