Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When did the black slave trade start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did the black slave trade start?
    Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 06:47
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Joinville

...So in order to make use of these new lands they begged, borrowed, bought and stole people, literally, from other parts of the world. This meant that the New World society didn't become an exact copy of Europe, because over there Europeans introduced slavery, force labour etc., a bunch of social institutions and practices they would not support among themselves at home, or perhaps rather would NO LONGER support at home.

That's not accurate also. The lands were Blacks slaves were introduced in mass were the Caribbean, the United States and Brazil. The others didn't have Black slavery in the same scale at all. Cuba and Domican Republic imported masses of slaves and places like Venezuela, Colombia and Peru still have some minorities of Black people. Some small numbers went to Mexico as well. But in many other countries of Latin America there aren't Blacks this day. That shows slavery was intensive in the Caribbean and the countries sourrounding it, particularly in the U.S. and Brazil, but in other latitudes the idea that Blacks replaced Indians because they were stronger, doesn't apply. Indian and settler labour was very intensive in other places of the America, not only in Canada but also in Mexico and South America.

Even more, mortality between Black slaves in the Caribbean was unbelievable high, no more than a couple of years of survival in some places. They were replaced continuosly.

Pinguin

I think it is.

It's only inaccurate if one concentrates exclusively on the institution of slavery. Which is why I didn't. Labour corves, indentured labour etc. where all ways of ensuring a supply of labour through means no longer accepted in Europe, and it did mean that New World societies did end up working different from European societies.

That was the point, not some factually incorrect statement of slavery as dominating all of the New World, which I didn't in fact make.
One must not insult the future.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 08:33

Joinville:

I was not debating that point but the idea that Indians were remplaced by other peoples. Which is true in certain degree in some places (North America, Caribbean) but absolutely false in others (Andes, Mexico, Southern South America)

I agree with your statement above. In the Americas there were several forms of explotation besides slavery. The mita system, for instance, that was a tax payed with labour. Perhaps the more widespread system is the middle ages' institution of servs and lords: feudalism. Collie workers and other forms of abusses also existed. No doubt about it.

Even more, it is sad to say but still today we can find forms of explotation on immigrants all over the Americas: low payed jobs, insecurity, menace to call the police, etc.

Edited by pinguin - 01-Sep-2007 at 08:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12