Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the capital of education before Rome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nader75 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nader75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the capital of education before Rome
    Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 06:46
as I knew the capital of the education in the world during the Renaissance was the Rome. Before this period was it a Konstantinia?
As I heard that the scientists leave to Rome from Byzanta when the turckish occupy the Konstantinia and then the Renaissance starts.  
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 07:17
Prior to the European Rennaissance I always thought it was Cordova.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 20:30
Alexandria was one of the greatest city of culture and learning in anicent antiquity, after it was taken by the Arabs I believe Constantinople was the center of Western learning but Im not sure, but it was certaining the greatest city at the time in Europe before the Renaissance.

Edited by Kamikaze 738 - 19-Aug-2007 at 20:31
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 23:00

Alexanderia, except it was looted and suffered heavy earthquake. What about Istanbul?

And about Alexanderia... it was indeed part of the Roman Empire... but culturally, was Alexanderia Western? Eastern? Both?

Join us.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 01:38
Originally posted by pekau

And about Alexanderia... it was indeed part of the Roman Empire... but culturally, was Alexanderia Western? Eastern? Both?

I believe it was a mixed of both since after Alexander's conquest of the Persian Empire, its basically East mets West and they get a cultural exchange and I guess you can say that Alexandria is where all that comes together in one place.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 10:51
What about Athens. Remember Platwn and Socrates, Solwn and many others.

Byzantio who later renamed to KOnstantinople was late after Rome evolved to be a great city. Was a Greek coloni with no big significant by that time. Alexandria was true a capital of knolwdge because of the library. II think Athens the capital of knowledge and education. The place where the knowledge was produced

Edited by perikles - 26-Aug-2007 at 10:51
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 06:26
Well (always talking about the Mediterranean), it goes Athens in the Classical Era, Alexandria in the Hellenistic era and then Rome. After that it's Constantinople,then Damascus, then Baghdad.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply