Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone know...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone know...
    Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 15:57
     ... if it is possible to get decent weapons/combat training without actually joining the army (in California)? Is this possible... and if so, is it legal? Any suggestions or comments will be helpful. So far I have only found centers in far-flung places or centers which are directly affiliated with the army.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 18:19
Well, I think there are some militias in...some midwestern state, Montana? Michicgan?, or something you could join. You could also buy army manuals, or a gang! Although I've heard some gangs send guys to join the army so they come back with urban fighting techniques...kinda scary!
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Well, I think there are some militias in...some midwestern state, Montana? Michicgan?, or something you could join.

Hmmm. I had found a pretty good-looking academy in Florida which teaches all sorts of stuff about combat from close quarter fighting to defensive driving to sniping. Their instructors were all former servicemen and they were all pros in their field of specialty. I don't know if I can go to another state to train though!

You could also buy army manuals,

Thats a good idea, although I'd much rather prefer to be trained hands-on by a professional.

or a gang! Although I've heard some gangs send guys to join the army so they come back with urban fighting techniques...kinda scary!

Yea I really don't like gangs, especially the ones in L.A., many of which are based on ethnic lines. You're right about gangs sending guys to the army to come back with fighting skills.... Neo-Nazis have sent thousands of their followers to the army and subsequently to Iraq, because they said that in the upcoming "race war" the infantryman will be the most valuable soldier, because he will be the one going door-to-door to kill all the lesser races Dead

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 20:57
Illegally, you can get anything if you have money and connections. Wink

I am not sure about arm control policies in US. Don't you have the right to bear arms? I mean, the news said that the student responsible for Virgina shootout purchased the weapons pretty easily? And the purchase was legal, right?

Join us.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 21:40
     Yes some firearms are available to anyone with a license. I want to learn how to use these arms from professionals, and also how to use other arms which are used in wartime situations, as well as basic skills I can use in wartime.

Basically, I want to be trained like a soldier without actually having to join the army.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 13-Aug-2007 at 21:41

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 11:19
Why on earth would you want that.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 11:32
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Concur.

Seems a little scary that..Are you preparing for a war on American soil or something? Join the NRA, they have training for civilians all the time...
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 11:39
Join one of those militias you have.

Why is it American's are so scared of their government? Maybe Europeans are simply complacent, but Yanks seem convinced they need to have weapons in case government gets taken over by fascists/communists.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 12:03
Some self-defense sport are very very close to the real stuff. Well you'd be trained for closed quarter combat more than open field warfare, but then again how likely is it for you to fight in the trenches of Montana.
Take Krav Maga for instance, it is based on the Israelis' experience and some courses are really hard core. Ultimately you could spend some times in their training camps and become a real urban warrior, but then again why would you want to do that?
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 14:03
Yes. Its called the National Guard.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 15:33
Originally posted by Sparten

Yes. Its called the National Guard.

Nope. The national guard is being deployed in Iraq, not all of it, but it is being spread thin, like the rest of the army.
     Edward Abbey
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 15:35
Originally posted by Dolphin

Concur.

Seems a little scary that..Are you preparing for a war on American soil or something? Join the NRA, they have training for civilians all the time...

Its for when the Chinese invade, or the government becomes intolerable, which it almost is...
     Edward Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by Parnell

Why is it American's are so scared of their government? Maybe Europeans are simply complacent, but Yanks seem convinced they need to have weapons in case government gets taken over by fascists/communists.

Who said I wanted training to protect myself from my government?

If you really must know.... a lot of it is just for general knowledge/ general skills. And the other aspect of it is the distant chance that I might volunteer for service should Armenia be attacked (which seems very likely in the next few years). I'm not saying ya I'm definitely going or anything... I would really have to think about it, I would be 50/50 on it. But if I did decide to go I would be a lot more useful if I had basic training. I didn't want to go into my reasons for training but apparently everyone thinks I'm some kind of paranoid Yank who is afraid of the taxman or some unknown threat.

The more ideas you guys have about my original inquiry, the merrier. Keep them coming.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 14-Aug-2007 at 22:19

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 07:01
Get a self help book. Or martial arts training. or both!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 11:48
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

but apparently everyone thinks I'm some kind of paranoid Yank who is afraid of the taxman or some unknown threat.

I shall not pretend the thought did not cross my mind, but I did hold my judgement until I had heard your arguments. In spite of common prejudice on Yanks, even they do generally not consider combat training necessary to battle civil servants... Tongue You must admit the question had great possibility to come across a bit strange. So I was really just interested in the why.

If, heavens forbid, Armania is attacked (by whom, by the way? my knowledge on that part of the world is somewhat restricted...) and you wish to join, would you not be trained by the Armanian government?

I do know nothing about weapons training, but perhpas it would be interesting to look into bush-survival trips or something like that? There are bound to be some clubs organising trips to the wild where you have to make fire with sticks, find tubers for dinner without poisoning yourself, and cook in a tin can? And you can do the waepons in some shooting range club...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 11:57

I do know nothing about weapons training, but perhpas it would be interesting to look into bush-survival trips or something like that? [/QUOTE

Bush survival trips would come in handy for everbody I think nowadays.. The further away from Iraq and America t

Bush survival trips would come in handy for everbody I think nowadays.. The further away from Iraq and America the better LOL

Edited by Dolphin - 15-Aug-2007 at 11:59
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 14:50
Originally posted by Parnell

Get a self help book. Or martial arts training. or both!

Aren't self-help books for depressed people or something? Martial arts would be good.... maybe Judo.

I do know nothing about weapons training, but perhpas it would be interesting to look into bush-survival trips or something like that? There are bound to be some clubs organising trips to the wild where you have to make fire with sticks, find tubers for dinner without poisoning yourself, and cook in a tin can? And you can do the waepons in some shooting range club...

Ya a survival book would be good for general knowledge. I'll just keep watching more Man vs. Wild episodes LOL Do you guys have that show in Europe.... you should, the host is a Brit.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 15:18
I trained at the weekend for six months in the parachute regiment (TA) for if ever that day comes. I left when they started more actively seeking out "volunteers" for Iraq - oh aye! not I.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 03:57
There are quite a few self defense firearm training and tactical training places throughout the U.S. I'm sure California is loaded with these establishments. A lot of those ex special op 4 weapon combat master people live in California. You might just want to google it, with the right keywords including your area I'm sure you'll find plenty. Every place in the U.S. has a gun club you could check there too. They might have bulletin boards with what you are looking for. You'll need to go through the legal and training aspect if you want to actually carry a gun CCW or whatever concealed. Not sure you can do the sub machine courses unless your in a related field. You can learn edge weapon combat techniques though.

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 04:08
...Why do you want to learn how to use a firearm, anyway? What reason could you have? You didn't specify one. Slightly seedy, I may add...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>