Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Winged Hussars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Poll Question: Were the Winged Hussars the best cavalry untis in the time period?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [60.33%]
14 [11.57%]
30 [24.79%]
4 [3.31%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Tryskochvost View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Winged Hussars?
    Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 19:46
really?  that´s not so bad, they could speak russian...

I think, both our lands, Poland, and Bohemia (CZ) have their best time passed. Your commonwealth and our Reign of Premyslovci and Luxembourgs
"Toho bohda nebude, aby Cesky kral z boje utikal"(Let it never be the case that a Bohemian king runs from a fight!] John the Blind-king of Bohemia,in battle for Crecy
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 07:26

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Originally posted by Husaria

I think Poland is becoming too Americanized, turn the T.V on and look how much English is being spoken.
That is a lot better than being Prussianized or Russianized.  We are a lot farther away. Wink 

Good point Smile

Anyway, the more foreign langauges we know, the better for us.

I really enjoy to talk with people around the world. If I can't do it in their native languages, I can at least try to talk with them in English. 

Originally posted by Tryskochvost

I think, both our lands, Poland, and Bohemia (CZ) have their best time passed. Your commonwealth and our Reign of Premyslovci and Luxembourgs

If you think about a relative importance of our countries, you are right. But as a father I have to tell that I prefer to live in modern Poland than in PLC. We enjoy 6 decades of peace already, while PLC waged constant wars. A life is much easier and much safer today than in the past. I know that my children are safe, that they don't need afraid neither enemies, nor hunger, nor diseases. Compare it to 17th c. where 50% of childeren died before they were 5 years old. 

Edited by ataman - 20-Mar-2009 at 07:29
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 19:10
Thats true ataman but i think that just has to do with the time period PLC wasn't the only area with those troubles i think nearly the whole world did.The further you look back in history the less advancement there is in society and technology thus making a more difficult life.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 12:58
ok, i am happy, when I go to forest and there are no wolfs or bears. when it is -40°C and I need to go to WC, I am glad it´s heated. But czech republic now- communists want to rewrite history books and fill them with their proletar "heroes", there is nobody to vanish them. In the ages of Charles IV. and oher good kings life could be easier- but only for rich 10%.

I have an question, may one become hussar now? I think when it is some historic show, to play hussar.
"Toho bohda nebude, aby Cesky kral z boje utikal"(Let it never be the case that a Bohemian king runs from a fight!] John the Blind-king of Bohemia,in battle for Crecy
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2009 at 18:00

I have an question, may one become hussar now?

Of course it is possible if you only want. By now, there are some 50 'winged' hussar reenactors in Poland and outside Poland (in USA). You might be the firs in Czech Republic Smile.

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2009 at 14:23
so I am keeping money for armor.
don´t you have some links for those battles or something?it can be in polish, off course.
and I want to ask one question: what Rzecz pospolita actually means? same language? one empire or something like that?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2009 at 15:48
Hmmm....

I just noticed the signature...here in Luxembourg they have a rather different view of things, John being seen as a Luxembourger who ruled over Bohemia (and the HRE), rather than as a Czech who ruled over Luxembourg.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2009 at 16:15
Tongueyes, yes, we don´t think he was bohemian. but he was very important for Bohemia (and his son was most important and most favourite ruler of czech kingdom in history) I am sorry if I offended you and Luxembourg.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2009 at 19:17

I want to ask one question: what Rzecz pospolita actually means? same language? one empire or something like that?

It has the same or at least similar meaning to "Commonwealth"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2009 at 19:35
is this a Slavic word or does it derive from Latin Republic (Res Publica)?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2009 at 19:56

Tongueyes, yes, we don´t think he was bohemian. but he was very important for Bohemia (and his son was most important and most favourite ruler of czech kingdom in history) I am sorry if I offended you and Luxembourg.

Not me, I just live here Smile

I wonder sometimes whether some day, after the Greeks get the Elgin Marbles back, the Luxembourgers or the Czechs will start demanding their three feathers back from the British. Embarrassed
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2009 at 09:15

don´t you have some links for those battles or something?

Links to battles? To which battles ?

it can be in polish, off course.

If you can read Polish, check the book about hussars written by my friend:

http://www.radoslawsikora.republika.pl/ksiazki/naskrzydlachhusarii.pdf

There is a lot of information about hussars (including battles).

and I want to ask one question: what Rzecz pospolita actually means? same language? one empire or something like that?

As Majkes said, it means a commonwealth (common-pospolity and wealth-rzecz/dobro/bogactwo/własność). 

Originally posted by Temujin

is this a Slavic word or does it derive from Latin Republic (Res Publica)?

I think it is indeed from Latin 'Res Publica'.

Edited by ataman - 15-Apr-2009 at 09:24
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2009 at 12:03
I thought some reconstructions of historic battles (Kamenec, Chotim atd.)

Thanks for informations and web pages.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2009 at 16:56
I can´t see anything about sweden-polish war. I mean that war where Jan Kazimir defeated sweden (or not?) can you pllease write down something?
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 07:31

I thought some reconstructions of historic battles (Kamenec, Chotim atd.)

Oh, I see.

I know 2 big events like these one. Vivat Vasa in Poland (in Gniew - it is close to Gdańsk). And Kamieniec Podolski in Ukraine. There are also several smaller ones.

I can´t see anything about sweden-polish war. I mean that war where Jan Kazimir defeated sweden (or not?) can you pllease write down something?

Google 'The Deluge'. Or simply check wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)

If you are interested in hussars during deluge period, you might check also battles of: Warka, Prostki, Warsaw etc.

In that period, winged hussars were only an insignificant part of Polish cavalry (for example, when Swedish invasion began hussars consisted of only 1,75% of the whole Polish cavalry). The bulk of Polish cavalry was composed of much cheaper lighter cavalry (pancerni, Wołosi, Tatarzy, noble levy).

Edited by ataman - 17-Apr-2009 at 07:40
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 09:48

Something relevant to the subject - battlefields of winged hussars

Edited by ataman - 28-May-2009 at 09:50
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tryskochvost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2009 at 12:21
very interesting. Krzystow radziwil- was he grandfather of radziwil colaborant (during potop)
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2009 at 14:30

very interesting. Krzystow radziwil- was he grandfather of radziwil colaborant (during potop)

Yes, Krzysztof 'The Thunderbolt' Radziwiłł, was Janusz Radziwiłł's grandfather.

Radziwiłł's family had great military traditions. Krzysztof 'The Thunderbolt' Radziwiłł's father - Mikołaj 'red-haired' Radziwiłł - also was a Lithuanian hetman. His the most spectacular victory was the battle of Czaśnik 1563. Having 4000 Lithuanian soldiers, he defeated 25 000 Russians (9000 of them were killed) in this battle. BTW, Mikołaj's sister was a queen of Poland.

The son of Krzysztof 'The Thunderbolt' Radziwiłł was Krzysztof II Radziwiłł - another Lithuanian hetman. Known from fights vs Gustav Adolf and vs Russians at Smoleńsk. His son was hetman Janusz Radziwiłł - the guy known from 'the Deluge'.

Janusz was also a talented commander. He won the battle of Szkłów 1654 (there is a short description in that article I recommended), where he defeated 5 times more numerous Russian army. He is also known as a victor of the battle of Łojów 1649, where having 6000 soldiers, defeated 17 000 Cossack soldiers (30 000 armed men - counting with armed peasents and townsmen). In that battle 400-500 hussars smashed 5000 Cossack cavalry in a single charge.

It might be also interesting that those Krzysztof and Janusz Radziwiłł weren't Catholics. They were Calvinism faith. 

Edited by ataman - 04-Jun-2009 at 14:36
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2009 at 19:44
Originally posted by ataman

It might be also interesting that those Krzysztof and Janusz Radziwiłł weren't Catholics. They were Calvinism faith. 

how come? were there more nobles that converted to Calvinism?
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2009 at 20:31
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by ataman

how come? were there more nobles that converted to Calvinism?

There were plenty of them. In XVI th century PLC parliament Catholics were often a minority.
I will just mention some of the mightiest families of PLC who were Calvins:
Sapieha family, Radziwiłł, Szafrańce, Firleje, Zborowscy, Leszczyńscy. Among Polish Calvins were also Łaski Jan - cousin of Primate of Catholic Church and many others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>