Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indus Valley Trade with Ancient Egypt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indus Valley Trade with Ancient Egypt
    Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 22:03

Originally posted by SpartaN117

Indus Valley is pretty much the region now known as Pakistan.

Pakistan isn't a region - it's a state. There is no geographical entity known as "Pakistan" - the geographical name for the region Pakistan is in, is called the Indus region or Indus watershed or Indus valley.

The term Pakistan itself has no meaning prior to the modern era - it was coined in 1934.

Pakistani people have ancestral links to that land for as far as history has been recorded in the region.

Yes, however, prior to bin Qasim's conquest of the area, in 712 AD, the inhabitants are not distinct from the other Hindu and Buddhist inhabitants of the subcontinent. Biological inheritance has nothing to do with cultural inheritance. In embracing Islam, the inhabitants of the area explicitly sever their cultural ties with the past.

You cant call them Indians, because India didnt exist back then either, and Indus Valley people didnt refer to themselves as Indian, neither do the Indian people have any ancestral links to Indus Valley, i.e Pakistan.

Again, ancestral links are not that important in the grand scheme of things, unless you believe in some 1930s ideals about race and culture. And, in any case, there is no clear dividing line between the Indus Valley and the rest of the subcontinent either culturally or biologically until the Muslim conquest.

Not to mention that aside from thousands of years where the subcontinent was not divided by the India/Pakistan border, the partition of India was attended by the mass movement of Muslim, Hindu, and other populations seeking the safest side of the border. About 25 million people relocated! So to say that one group has an exclusive claim on "ancestry" is rubbish.

Referring to it as India is geographically wrong because India doesnt not refer to British Indian empire anymore.

It never did, as a geographical term. You seem to be operating under the completely incorrect assumption that the geographical term comes from the political term - that the subcontinent was named India because of the political entity that was there. This is simply completely wrong. It was the other way around. The political entity got the name from the geographical term.

Using the modern Geographic name for a region is not a political agenda.

But using the modern political name for a state and calling it a geographic region certainly is. To follow up with a rant on "ancestry" flags the argument as a political, not historical, one.

However, making references to the British Indian Empire is a political agenda if I ever saw one.

Yes, and guess who brought that up?

If you are so keen on using Geographic terms, Indus already is; what about Punjab and Sindh?

If you want, although Punjab straddles the border between Pakistan and India and the Sindhs left Pakistan for India in large numbers during the Partition.

SpartaN117 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 22:37
^^
25 million lol??? You do realise Pakistans population was 27 million total at that time??

Nice little agenda you have going on by exaggerating the partition figures, but none of that matters because the vast majority of Pakistanis are native to Pakistan. i.e They have always lived in that region. That region is called Pakistan, and has been known by lots of other names. The history belongs to that majority of Pakistanis. 1947 politics doesnt grant Indians claim over anything.

You had to point out that converting to Islam severed the cultural links? Thats a very bs statement. Pakistanis do not follow Arab culture. There is a very distinct Pakistani culture which carried over from the Muslim Mughal Empire, which carried over from Kingdoms and Empires from before in that region. You dont lose your cultural heritage overnight like you are suggesting.

Converting to Islam didnt make Pakistani sever their Cultural, and Historical ties to the land that is Pakistan. And most of all, those Cultural and Historical ties do not start belonging to Indians, ever.

The Indus Valley is very much centered around Harappa and Mohenjo Daro. I am not suggesting that the modern borders of Pakistan matter, but you are clearly suggesting that there is no difference between Pakistani provinces and East Indian, South Indian and North Indian provinces.  Stop seeing the map as giant map of India. Even Pakistani provinces have remarkable differences between them. There is no United India that you speak of.

Even different Hindu Groups in India have huge differences between them South Indians, North Indians, East Indians. Why do you insist on pondering over what Pakistan would have been like if Muslims hadnt invaded? I can tell you that there would have been huge differences still.

Conclusion is, Pakistani history still belongs to the Pakistani people, no matter how long ago it happened, and Indian people have very little to do with that Identity/History. This is why its referred to as Pakistani Identity, rather than an illogical, agenda driven, false term like Indian Identity.

Edited by SpartaN117 - 06-Dec-2008 at 22:40

PakHub.Info
Reclaiming Pakistans Identity
Join Us
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 00:16

^^

25 million lol??? You do realise Pakistans population was 27 million total at that time??

Yep. That's 25 million total, not just those who went to Pakistan, but all those who crossed the border either (so, if it were equal movement in both directions, 12.5 in, 12.5 out). That's a middle of the road estimate ... even the low estimates are still around 12 million.

You had to point out that converting to Islam severed the cultural links? Thats a very bs statement. Pakistanis do not follow Arab culture. There is a very distinct Pakistani culture which carried over from the Muslim Mughal Empire, which carried over from Kingdoms and Empires from before in that region. You dont lose your cultural heritage overnight like you are suggesting.

Bin Qasim conquered the area in the 700s and converted many of the inhabitants to Islam. The Mughal Empire began in the 16th century, and yes, it did carry over heritage from previous empires - previous Islamic empires, that is. Islam, like Christianity, involves rejecting one's pre-Abrahamic culture. Not just the Pakistanis went through this with Islam, but even the Arabs did: they utterly rejected and wiped out their own history before Islam and the Minean, Sabaean, Himyarite etc civilizations that came before are forgotten: most accounts of Arab history begin with Mohammed and Islam. This is how Abrahamic religion operates, it obliterates cultural heritage and erases all that came before.

Likewise, inhabitants of the Indic regions did not even realize there was an Indus civilization under their feet after a millenium and a half of Abrahamic Islam, until Alexander Cunningham showed up and determined that there were in fact very ancient cities in the area. The locals promptly began robbing the site for bricks, and it wasn't until the 1920s that British and American archaeologists uncovered the Indus cities. So to say that this history was not abandoned and forgotten by the inhabitants is plainly incorrect. Given the way they treated the sites that Cunningham unearthed, it was not just forgotten, it was also unimportant.

I am not suggesting that the modern borders of Pakistan matter, but you are clearly suggesting that there is no difference between Pakistani provinces and East Indian, South Indian and North Indian provinces.  Stop seeing the map as giant map of India. Even Pakistani provinces have remarkable differences between them. There is no United India that you speak of.

I'm not saying there's a united India. I'm saying there's not even a united Pakistan before the modern era, there's not even a Pakistan, and the civilizations that come before the British weren't paying any attention to whether they were Pakistani or Indian because those things didn't exist yet. They didn't even realize the border was there, and moved back and forth across it just as people today are probably moving back and forth across the borders of nations that don't exist yet. Maybe the border of the future Empire of Gobbledygook is running right down the street in front of your house: are you now only going to associate with people on your side of the street? Will you only buy your next house if it is on that side of that street? No, obviously not. 

Plus, if you think about, there are many differences within Pakistan itself aren't there? You want to extend the heritage of Indus to the borders of Pakistan and then stop it there. This is clearly a modern and political concept. The scope of the heritage can either be local (ie the actual vicinity of the Indus sites, not all of Pakistan) or it can be regional (in which case it doesn't stop where the border is). 

Dividing things into "India" and "Pakistan" is clearly arbitrary and anachronistic. Very, very bad history. But good fodder for modern identity politics.

Why do you insist on pondering over what Pakistan would have been like if Muslims hadnt invaded? I can tell you that there would have been huge differences still.

I'm not worried about what ifs here, I'm talking about what came before. What really was, not what might have been. I don't care about the "what ifs" and its not a what if scenario to say that before the Muslims invaded, there was no clear division between what we today call Indians and Pakistanis - there were plenty of groups straddling the border. 

This is why its referred to as Pakistani Identity, rather than an illogical, agenda driven, false term like Indian Identity.

Identity politics is all modern BS. Period. And it's all the same: every kind of identity politics rightfully points out that it's competitors are BS, but refuses to subject itself to the same kind of analysis. In other words, not only is it all the sort of thing that should only emanate from flatulent bovines, it is also hypocritical in the extreme. 

Edited by edgewaters - 07-Dec-2008 at 00:29
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 02:55
@Edgewaters.

You obviously have an issue with Abrahamic Religions. I am guessing you are Indian, but whatever.

You havent understood my argument. I have not denied similarities between neighbouring provinces. Kashmir and Sindh have shared history and culture with West Punjab, who have shared history with East Punjab, who have shared history with their neighbouring provinces. I never denied any of these historic and cultural links. I am arguing against your so called 'geographical' grouping of all these provinces and labelling them Indian history/identity etc.

Now, you also seem to be exceptionally offended by Pakistani Muslims being proud of their non Islamic heritage. To me it sounds like you almost blew a fuse and want to convince me Muslims of Pakistan have severed links to all of their ancestors by converting to Islam. This is absurd. Religion is an ideology and belief system. It doesnt change your roots.

Why cant Pakistanis claim their own history? Why do certain Indian people have to be so offended if Pakistanis dont refer to their own history as 'Indian'?
No hard feelings, but you are complaining against Abrahmic religions shunning their roots, and then you slam them for trying to reclaim and be proud of their identity.

Mohenjo Daro, Harappa, Taxila, Ghandara etc. They are part of Pakistani Identity more than Indian weather you like it or not.

PakHub.Info
Join Us
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 06:55
Originally posted by edgewaters

^^

Yep. That's 25 million total, not just those who went to Pakistan, but all those who crossed the border either (so, if it were equal movement in both directions, 12.5 in, 12.5 out). That's a middle of the road estimate ... even the low estimates are still around 12 million.

Bin Qasim conquered the area in the 700s and converted many of the inhabitants to Islam. The Mughal Empire began in the 16th century, and yes, it did carry over heritage from previous empires - previous Islamic empires, that is. Islam, like Christianity, involves rejecting one's pre-Abrahamic culture. Not just the Pakistanis went through this with Islam, but even the Arabs did: they utterly rejected and wiped out their own history before Islam and the Minean, Sabaean, Himyarite etc civilizations that came before are forgotten: most accounts of Arab history begin with Mohammed and Islam. This is how Abrahamic religion operates, it obliterates cultural heritage and erases all that came before.

Likewise, inhabitants of the Indic regions did not even realize there was an Indus civilization under their feet after a millenium and a half of Abrahamic Islam, until Alexander Cunningham showed up and determined that there were in fact very ancient cities in the area. The locals promptly began robbing the site for bricks, and it wasn't until the 1920s that British and American archaeologists uncovered the Indus cities. So to say that this history was not abandoned and forgotten by the inhabitants is plainly incorrect. Given the way they treated the sites that Cunningham unearthed, it was not just forgotten, it was also unimportant.

I am not suggesting that the modern borders of Pakistan matter, but you are clearly suggesting that there is no difference between Pakistani provinces and East Indian, South Indian and North Indian provinces.  Stop seeing the map as giant map of India. Even Pakistani provinces have remarkable differences between them. There is no United India that you speak of.

I'm not saying there's a united India. I'm saying there's not even a united Pakistan before the modern era, there's not even a Pakistan, and the civilizations that come before the British weren't paying any attention to whether they were Pakistani or Indian because those things didn't exist yet. They didn't even realize the border was there, and moved back and forth across it just as people today are probably moving back and forth across the borders of nations that don't exist yet. Maybe the border of the future Empire of Gobbledygook is running right down the street in front of your house: are you now only going to associate with people on your side of the street? Will you only buy your next house if it is on that side of that street? No, obviously not. 

Plus, if you think about, there are many differences within Pakistan itself aren't there? You want to extend the heritage of Indus to the borders of Pakistan and then stop it there. This is clearly a modern and political concept. The scope of the heritage can either be local (ie the actual vicinity of the Indus sites, not all of Pakistan) or it can be regional (in which case it doesn't stop where the border is). 

Dividing things into "India" and "Pakistan" is clearly arbitrary and anachronistic. Very, very bad history. But good fodder for modern identity politics.

Why do you insist on pondering over what Pakistan would have been like if Muslims hadnt invaded? I can tell you that there would have been huge differences still.

I'm not worried about what ifs here, I'm talking about what came before. What really was, not what might have been. I don't care about the "what ifs" and its not a what if scenario to say that before the Muslims invaded, there was no clear division between what we today call Indians and Pakistanis - there were plenty of groups straddling the border. 

This is why its referred to as Pakistani Identity, rather than an illogical, agenda driven, false term like Indian Identity.

Identity politics is all modern BS. Period. And it's all the same: every kind of identity politics rightfully points out that it's competitors are BS, but refuses to subject itself to the same kind of analysis. In other words, not only is it all the sort of thing that should only emanate from flatulent bovines, it is also hypocritical in the extreme. 

your argument is wrong. Punjab and Sindh are one of oldest places in south asia and Most of Punjab and Sindh are in Pakistan, so the history does belong to these two group of people, Punjabis and Sindhies, which make up majority of Pakistani people. Your argument is wrong because your saying its alright even if a Tamil or a Bengali person  claims Indus history, how can you say that? what does a Bengali and Tamil have in comman with Punjabis and Sindhis? Its like Germans claming Greek History as thiers, no body in the world will except this nonsense
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2008 at 15:44
Originally posted by Urdu

your argument is wrong. Punjab and Sindh are one of oldest places in south asia and Most of Punjab and Sindh are in Pakistan, so the history does belong to these two group of people, Punjabis and Sindhies, which make up majority of Pakistani people. Your argument is wrong because your saying its alright even if a Tamil or a Bengali person  claims Indus history, how can you say that? what does a Bengali and Tamil have in comman with Punjabis and Sindhis? Its like Germans claming Greek History as thiers, no body in the world will except this nonsense

Agreed.

But certain people will use so called "geographical" terms like "India" to push their agenda.
Its no wonder a lot of Indians believe that Pakistanis are "Muslim invaders" from Middle East.
The history and Identity belongs to the Majority of Pakistani people, and a minority of North Western Indian people. The Geographical term to use here is Indus (River).

PakHub.Info
Join Us
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 02:52

But certain people will use so called "geographical" terms like "India" to push their agenda.

Well, here's the thing: I don't have any agenda but historical accuracy. I'm not interested in the politics of the area one bit. I'm not the one with the sig line that proclaims an agenda. I'm giving you the opinion of someone who's utterly neutral between the modern politics of India and Pakistan, all I care about is history: and I'm saying that trying to attach the Indus civilization with a modern nation-state (whether it's India or Pakistan) is anachronistic, terribly bad history and quite obviously has everything to do with modern identity politics and xenophobic nationalism. Plus, of course, whether they are ancestors of yours or not, their achievements don't belong to you or your nation. That's just vicarious pride, which is a sign your own achievements must be lacking.

Edited by edgewaters - 08-Dec-2008 at 02:54
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 03:10
no body is attaching it with modern day state of Pakistan as a whole. My only point is the Indus valley belongs to Punjabis and Sindhis, because these people are the decendants of the civilization. Now most modern day Punjabis and Sindhis live in Pakistan and only 10% i think live in India
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2008 at 18:01

Well, here's the thing: I don't have any agenda but historical accuracy. I'm not interested in the politics of the area one bit. I'm not the one with the sig line that proclaims an agenda. I'm giving you the opinion of someone who's utterly neutral between the modern politics of India and Pakistan, all I care about is history: and I'm saying that trying to attach the Indus civilization with a modern nation-state (whether it's India or Pakistan) is anachronistic, terribly bad history and quite obviously has everything to do with modern identity politics and xenophobic nationalism. Plus, of course, whether they are ancestors of yours or not, their achievements don't belong to you or your nation. That's just vicarious pride, which is a sign your own achievements must be lacking.

My achievements are not lacking. And my only 'agenda' is historical accuracy.

If you are so neutral, why do you have a problem with describing Indus Valley in terms of the two (of 100s) provinces its located in? Why do you want to use such a massive land mass like the subcontinent to describe Indus Valley regions history?

The rest of India has as much to do with Pakistans ancient history as Iran. Why not include Iran in your 'Geographical' regions?

If you wanted to be accurate, you would use the term Indus Valley, or the names of the Pakistani provinces, or the modern term of the region, which is Pakistan.
'Ancient India', or 'Indian Subcontinent' are blatantly agenda driven terms.

PakHub.Info
Join Us
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2008 at 18:53
I agree, while the Indus valley did hold sway over a vast geographical area extending from Afghanistan, parts of Iran, and western india.  It was by and large an ancient civilization that was based along the INDUS RIVER with all its major urban centres located in the provinces of Sindh and Panjab of Pakistan. 

The issue here is of protraying this civilization(IVC)  justly, accurately and without any confusion and bias.  The indus valley civilization is a highly interesting culture and its important to stay true to the facts in order to understand it better which should be all of our goals Smile.  Which is why many scholars and historians, who strive for factual and accurate discussions refer to the Indus Valley Civilization as belonging to Pakistan, and that Pakistan is the inheritor of this unique civilization, in saying this, it can rightly be said and must be reiterated that the indus valley civilization was based along the river Indus(which runs directly in the middle of Pakistan, cutting the country in half) in the provinces of Sindh and Panjab; and incidently on the eastern flanks of NWFP and Balochistan; for all intent and purpose that reflects Pakistan and almost >97% of Pakistan's population.  To extend this geographical outline to include territory and lands hundred and miles away for unknown or due to some ''agenda'' or possibly because the British erroneously labeled the whole of South Asia as ''india'', and our subsequent continuation of this fallacy (Interestingly, Winston Churchill himself famously stated ''india is as much of a country as the Equator'') acknowledging this blurring of history, would be unjust and quite frankly a huge failure of the academic community and an insult to the common good of reporting factual history.  So we should factor in this knowledge and always keep that in mind.  An anology would be to state that Palestinians, Libyans and Sudanese stating that the Ancient Egyptian civilization is their's only and denying Egypt its rightful inheritance, much is the same feeling that many Pakistani's have in defending their rightful inheritance and forefathers history in establishing the Indus Valley Civilization as amongst the worlds oldest, urbanized and in many respects, most advanced cultures.  I dont think scholars, Pakistani's or anyone else are doing it for any other reason but to state the obvious and re-assert their cultural heritage of their ancient lands which lay in such a rich region crisscrossed and in close proximity to many cultural spheres of influence, and I guess this may be the reason why its easy to get the issue confused.  But in this day and age of awareness, knowledge and reasoning, such a mistake need not  be made.

So lets keep the facts straight guys(and gals).  Lets stay true to ourselves, history and rational thinking and keep politics and malicious agenda's or biasis(as some would put it) away from the good nature of this forum.  The Indus Valley Civilization was an ancient civilization based along the banks of the Indus river now based in Pakistan, it encompassed the modern day Pakistani provinces of Panjab and Sindh and ran on the eastern flanks of NWFP and Balochistan, and such, it is Pakistan which is the true inheritor of this rich cultural history. Something we all should be encouraging Pakistani's and their respective government to be proud of, and hopefully invest more effort, research and finances to help preserve whatever is remaining of this once great culture, and help the world community and interested individuals in understanding it better and learning more about; this I think should be the ultimate goal and it will not just be beneficial for Pakistani's only but for all of humanity in turn.

Cheers

Edited by MarcoPolo - 09-Dec-2008 at 19:03
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2008 at 01:11
Originally posted by MarcoPolo

I agree, while the Indus valley did hold sway over a vast geographical area extending from Afghanistan, parts of Iran, and western india.  It was by and large an ancient civilization that was based along the INDUS RIVER with all its major urban centres located in the provinces of Sindh and Panjab of Pakistan. 

The issue here is of protraying this civilization(IVC)  justly, accurately and without any confusion and bias.  The indus valley civilization is a highly interesting culture and its important to stay true to the facts in order to understand it better which should be all of our goals Smile.  Which is why many scholars and historians, who strive for factual and accurate discussions refer to the Indus Valley Civilization as belonging to Pakistan, and that Pakistan is the inheritor of this unique civilization, in saying this, it can rightly be said and must be reiterated that the indus valley civilization was based along the river Indus(which runs directly in the middle of Pakistan, cutting the country in half) in the provinces of Sindh and Panjab; and incidently on the eastern flanks of NWFP and Balochistan; for all intent and purpose that reflects Pakistan and almost >97% of Pakistan's population.  To extend this geographical outline to include territory and lands hundred and miles away for unknown or due to some ''agenda'' or possibly because the British erroneously labeled the whole of South Asia as ''india'', and our subsequent continuation of this fallacy (Interestingly, Winston Churchill himself famously stated ''india is as much of a country as the Equator'') acknowledging this blurring of history, would be unjust and quite frankly a huge failure of the academic community and an insult to the common good of reporting factual history.  So we should factor in this knowledge and always keep that in mind.  An anology would be to state that Palestinians, Libyans and Sudanese stating that the Ancient Egyptian civilization is their's only and denying Egypt its rightful inheritance, much is the same feeling that many Pakistani's have in defending their rightful inheritance and forefathers history in establishing the Indus Valley Civilization as amongst the worlds oldest, urbanized and in many respects, most advanced cultures.  I dont think scholars, Pakistani's or anyone else are doing it for any other reason but to state the obvious and re-assert their cultural heritage of their ancient lands which lay in such a rich region crisscrossed and in close proximity to many cultural spheres of influence, and I guess this may be the reason why its easy to get the issue confused.  But in this day and age of awareness, knowledge and reasoning, such a mistake need not  be made.

So lets keep the facts straight guys(and gals).  Lets stay true to ourselves, history and rational thinking and keep politics and malicious agenda's or biasis(as some would put it) away from the good nature of this forum.  The Indus Valley Civilization was an ancient civilization based along the banks of the Indus river now based in Pakistan, it encompassed the modern day Pakistani provinces of Panjab and Sindh and ran on the eastern flanks of NWFP and Balochistan, and such, it is Pakistan which is the true inheritor of this rich cultural history. Something we all should be encouraging Pakistani's and their respective government to be proud of, and hopefully invest more effort, research and finances to help preserve whatever is remaining of this once great culture, and help the world community and interested individuals in understanding it better and learning more about; this I think should be the ultimate goal and it will not just be beneficial for Pakistani's only but for all of humanity in turn.

Cheers

That was amazing.

ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap

PakHub.Info
Join Us
hmmm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hmmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2008 at 02:03
Why do we keep using the word "Indus valley civilization" when less than 10% of excavated sites lie in or around Indus river?  This Pakistan only model of Indus valley is clearly incorrect.  It is correct that Indus river flows in present day Pakistan but incorrect to say "Indus valley civ" also is mostly in Pakistan since most sites are not on or around this river.  For a long time there was another name used "Harrapan valley civilization" since only a few sites with main one being Harrapa was known.  Only later when more sites came into light, as they happened to be along the Indus river, the name got changed to "Indus Valley civ".  At present excavated sites along the Indus river in present day Pakistan would account for less than 10% of the total sites, which make the term "Indus valley civilization" outdated.  About 65-70% of the known 1300+ excavated sites are on or along the mostly dry river Gagghar-Hakra, which is shared between India and Pakistan and over 600 sites of the so called "Indus Valley civ" are in present day India.  Rest of the sites are (in Pakistan) along Indus river valley, in Balochistan and NWFP and (in India) around Yamuna river and in Gujarat/Saurashtra.  A better term used nowadays by comptemporary historians is "Gagghar-Hakra-Indus valley civilization" or GHIv civilization for short, reflecting reality.

What about the original topic: Indus valley trade with Ancient Egypt, which is what I want to learn more about?

Edited by hmmm - 10-Dec-2008 at 04:08
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2008 at 21:14
Originally posted by hmmm

Why do we keep using the word "Indus valley civilization" when less than 10% of excavated sites lie in or around Indus river?  This Pakistan only model of Indus valley is clearly incorrect.  It is correct that Indus river flows in present day Pakistan but incorrect to say "Indus valley civ" also is mostly in Pakistan since most sites are not on or around this river.  For a long time there was another name used "Harrapan valley civilization" since only a few sites with main one being Harrapa was known.  Only later when more sites came into light, as they happened to be along the Indus river, the name got changed to "Indus Valley civ".  At present excavated sites along the Indus river in present day Pakistan would account for less than 10% of the total sites, which make the term "Indus valley civilization" outdated.  About 65-70% of the known 1300+ excavated sites are on or along the mostly dry river Gagghar-Hakra, which is shared between India and Pakistan and over 600 sites of the so called "Indus Valley civ" are in present day India.  Rest of the sites are (in Pakistan) along Indus river valley, in Balochistan and NWFP and (in India) around Yamuna river and in Gujarat/Saurashtra.  A better term used nowadays by comptemporary historians is "Gagghar-Hakra-Indus valley civilization" or GHIv civilization for short, reflecting reality.

What about the original topic: Indus valley trade with Ancient Egypt, which is what I want to learn more about?

If they dont have Harappa or Mohenjo Daro architecture, artefacts and designs, then they are not Indus Valley. To date only two such cities have been found. None in India are the same age as Harappa and Mohenjo Daro, No significant artefacts have been found in other 'cities' either.

So I dont know by what logic they are "Indus Valley" apart from proximity.

PakHub.Info
Join Us
hmmm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hmmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2008 at 00:05

If they dont have Harappa or Mohenjo Daro architecture, artefacts and designs, then they are not Indus Valley. To date only two such cities have been found. None in India are the same age as Harappa and Mohenjo Daro, No significant artefacts have been found in other 'cities' either.

Most of the sites on Indus river valley itself do not have Harappa or Mohenjo Daro architecture like citadel etc.  These were limited to big cities only so would you now admit that the rest of the sites on Indus river too are not part of the Indus valley civilization.  Coming to you bigger point, you have to just read up more since lot more is known now than before.  Since you seem to be from Pakistan or are a Pakistani, then a good source for you is some articles by Mughal (I do not recall his full name).  I can site other authors if you want but some online search will give you their names as well.  Some sites that are in present day India, you can quickly look up to be better informed are, Rakhigarhi.  It is said to be at least as big as, if not bigger than either Harrapa or Mohenjodaro and have same architecture, artifacts, city planning etc.  Another famous site is Kalibangan, also in India.  Just be open minded about it.

So I dont know by what logic they are "Indus Valley" apart from proximity.

That is why the term "Indus Valley" is incorrect.  We keep using it and our focus becomes too shallow to admit other sites outside of the Indus region.  Again better term is "Gagghar-Hakra-Indus valley civilization," GHIv civilization.  In a decade that my be outdated as well since about 15-20% sites are outside even this much wider area and they are identified to be part of this civilization.  It is astonishing to think the area now considered to be part of the same civilization to be over 1000 kms across both east-west as well as north-south.
You just have to read literature prior to the discovery of Mohenjodaro and you will find that every written article about these sites was called Harrapan valley civilization for some time.  Then with new discoveries over decades the area under focus became larger and it was called "Indus valley civilization" since at time at that time most sites were found along the Indus river valley, barring some isolated sites like Kalibangan or Lothal.  But the last 3 decades has changed the picture a whole lot and we have to change our view based on evidence.

MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2008 at 18:28

Originally posted by MarcoPolo

Cheers

That was amazing.

ClapClapClap
ClapClapClap

Thanks Sparten! I think sometimes its good to keep things straightforward and transparent, focussing on facts rather than possibilities, mythology, unproven and often poltically motivated theories! The goal of understanding the Indus Valley Civilization in enriching our understand should be our primary concern.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 22:58

The rest of India has as much to do with Pakistans ancient history as Iran. Why not include Iran in your 'Geographical' regions?

Parts of Iran do, in fact, lie within the borders of the subcontinent.

If you wanted to be accurate, you would use the term Indus Valley, or the names of the Pakistani provinces, or the modern term of the region, which is Pakistan.

Let's go back a little in the discussion, shall we?

Marco Polo - "I have heard that trade did exist between Ancient Pakistan (IVC) and the Ancient Egypt"

Marco Polo - "do you mean of trans-indus(i.e. ancient Pakistan) extraction or from gangetic india?"

Amar420 - "Let's just call it Indus instead of Pakistan"

MarcoPolo - "Indus is Pakistan just as Nile is Egypt"

Raja Ali - " they want to erase from their past history name india ,indic,indus."

Edgewaters - "I'm inclined to agree that Indus is, well, INDus - though it has absolutely nothing to do with the modern political entities called India and Pakistan."

So ... I defended the usual term, IVC, at the same time specifically noting that it had nothing to do with the modern nation of India (just in case Raja Ali is an Indian nationalist and figured I was backing a connection with the modern nation of India, which I am not). My basic agreement is only that IVC is the correct name and there's no need for Pakistani nationalists to try to suppress any word that has the letters "ind" in it. It has nothing to do with modern India and anyone trying to make that connection is no less absurd than those who seem to want to change the name to "ancient Pakistan".

I am fine with IVC, the usual term. I'm not the one trying to change that name here, to reflect an agenda stated in your sig line. I just don't like "ancient Pakistan" because it is ridiculous. IVC wasn't confined to Pakistan, bears no political relation to Pakistan, and Pakistan is not a geographic term. Just as I would not call Mississaugan Indians "Ancient Canadians", I have the same objection here to "Ancient Pakistan". For the same reasons, I would not agree that Pakistan is the cultural heir of the IVC any more than Canada is the cultural heir of the Mississaugans.

Think of it like this: the precolumbian Mississaugan native tribes were in Canada. We don't call them "Ancient Canadians", because Canada is a nation-state not a geographic term. Despite the fact that no historical Mississaugans lived in the USA, we do call them "Ancient Americans" because America is not just the name of the USA, it is also a geographic term for the continent - and it's the latter sense that's being used. 

In fact, the connection with the IVC for Pakistan is far more tenuous, as it is between a state created in the 50s (and involving a massive population transfer, at that) and a civilization that was born at the dawn of the agricultural age, in an area which has seen much change. No doubt the cultural impact - and probably biological impact, too - of such an ancient civilization has, by now, become quite dispersed and probably isn't even limited to the subcontinent any more. 

I hate this phenomena of modern-day nationalists trying to "own" ancient civilizations. It is just such an inaccurate perversion of history. Such ancient cultures are so far removed in time and space from any modern state, that it is fair to say that their legacy belongs to humanity as a whole, not some particular culture that today happens to occupy the same site.

Agenda-driven nationalists no doubt will react with alot of anger to that last statement, and probably cheer each other on in opposing it, but I'm appealing to intelligent people here, not the close-minded.

Edited by edgewaters - 13-Dec-2008 at 23:35
hmmm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hmmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 23:55

Parts of Iran do, in fact, lie within the borders of the subcontinent.

Let's go back a little in the discussion, shall we?

Marco Polo - "I have heard that trade did exist between Ancient Pakistan (IVC) and the Ancient Egypt"

Marco Polo - "do you mean of trans-indus(i.e. ancient Pakistan) extraction or from gangetic india?"

Amar420 - "Let's just call it Indus instead of Pakistan"

MarcoPolo - "Indus is Pakistan just as Nile is Egypt"

Raja Ali - " they want to erase from their past history name india ,indic,indus."

Edgewaters - "I'm inclined to agree that Indus is, well, INDus - though it has absolutely nothing to do with the modern political entities called India and Pakistan."

So ... I defended the usual term, IVC, at the same time specifically noting that it had nothing to do with the modern nation of India (just in case Raja Ali is an Indian nationalist and figured I was backing a connection with the modern nation of India, which I am not). My basic agreement is only that IVC is the correct name and there's no need for Pakistani nationalists to try to suppress any word that has the letters "ind" in it. It has nothing to do with modern India and anyone trying to make that connection is no less absurd than those who seem to want to change the name to "ancient Pakistan".

I am fine with IVC, the usual term. I'm not the one trying to change that name here, to reflect an agenda stated in your sig line. I just don't like "ancient Pakistan" because it is ridiculous. IVC wasn't confined to Pakistan, bears no political relation to Pakistan, and Pakistan is not a geographic term. Just as I would not call Mississaugan Indians "Ancient Canadians", I have the same objection here to "Ancient Pakistan". For the same reasons, I would not agree that Pakistan is the cultural heir of the IVC any more than Canada is the cultural heir of the Mississaugans.

Think of it like this: the precolumbian Mississaugan native tribes were in Canada. We don't call them "Ancient Canadians", because Canada is a nation-state not a geographic term. Despite the fact that no historical Mississaugans lived in the USA, we do call them "Ancient Americans" because America is not just the name of the USA, it is also a geographic term for the continent - and it's the latter sense that's being used. 

In fact, the connection with the IVC for Pakistan is far more tenuous, as it is between a state created in the 50s (and involving a massive population transfer, at that) and a civilization that was born at the dawn of the agricultural age, in an area which has seen much change. No doubt the cultural impact - and probably biological impact, too - of such an ancient civilization has, by now, become quite dispersed and probably isn't even limited to the subcontinent any more. 

I hate this phenomena of modern-day nationalists trying to "own" ancient civilizations. It is just such an inaccurate perversion of history. Such ancient cultures are so far removed in time and space from any modern state, that it is fair to say that their legacy belongs to humanity as a whole, not some particular culture that today happens to occupy the same site.

Whatever suits peoples fancy.  If Indus is fine with some people then it is fine with me as long as it is only those people that want to stick with it.  But seriously, take a look at all the discovered sites on a map and you will see that Indus is a very tiny part of the civilization that we are talking about.  Agree or not that realty will not alter.  It you stop looking, moon will not stop to exist.  It is only not there for you to see. Wink 

Personally I prefer GHIv civilization but your use of INDus is not bad.Wink

An example of a recent sites excavated in 2004, Gola Dhoro in Gujarat, India.
Here is a little paper about it and other similar sites, nowhere close to Indus at all yet part of the same civilization:
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 01:30

But seriously, take a look at all the discovered sites on a map and you will see that Indus is a very tiny part of the civilization that we are talking about.

Maybe so, but it is centered around the Indus, just as Mesopotamian (meso = between, potamos = river, between the rivers) centers around the area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers even though elements of Mesopotamian civilization are spread much further than that. Indus speaks to the geographical centre and core area, just as Mesopotamia does.

Edited by edgewaters - 15-Dec-2008 at 01:32
hmmm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote hmmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 07:31

But seriously, take a look at all the discovered sites on a map and you will see that Indus is a very tiny part of the civilization that we are talking about.

Maybe so, but it is centered around the Indus, just as Mesopotamian (meso = between, potamos = river, between the rivers) centers around the area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers even though elements of Mesopotamian civilization are spread much further than that. Indus speaks to the geographical centre and core area, just as Mesopotamia does.

Going by just cite location then the center without doubt is the now dried out or seasonal river Gagghar-Hakra (600 or so sites).  No two ways about it.  Depending on ones point of view analogy with Mesopotamia and Egypt does not work here as there are multiple rivers under discussion and a few more that are now dry, unlike one central river system.  Most conventional views just have to change.
However, by center, if you mean a point or location which splits any given area in two equal or almost equal halves then middle and lower Indus is central.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 12:41
Hi there -

Now what t.f. happened to the trade from the Indus valley - or whatever you call it - to Mesopotamia and Egypt....?!
Be good or be gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>