Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indus Valley Trade with Ancient Egypt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indus Valley Trade with Ancient Egypt
    Posted: 04-Aug-2007 at 11:54
I thought I would write my first post today.

My Post has to do with trade links that the Indus Valley Civilization had with other parts of the world but in particular with the Egyptian Nile based civilization.

I was wondering if you guys have ever heard of or know of any links possibly related to the issue.

I have heard that in ancient times, the indus valley civilization traded extensively with other cultures in the fertile crescent(modern day Iraq), the horn of Africa(somalia) and Egyptian(Nile) in which precious commodaties who exchanged and shared.  Furthermore I heard that there was also cultural and people exchange between these different civilizations. 

In ancient times, most of the ancient worlds cotton was imported from the Indus Valley Civilization principally from the region of Sindh.  It was said that in ancient egypt the local word for cotton was ''Sindh'' or ''Sindhus'' denoting that most of their cotton was imported from ancient Pakistan.

I find the INdus Valley Civilization to be truly facinating and I think more and more research into its activity, its structure and its society are going to reveal stunning new achievements  thought impossible in ancient times.Smile

Edited by MarcoPolo - 23-Jun-2008 at 21:27
betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote betaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 21:56
they had trade for sure with mesopotamia, i guess they could also have it with egypt
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 20:34
I think it was Rudyard kipling who first made the association in physical similarities between the inhabitants of Pakistan (especially along the indus river in Panjab, SIndh and frontier), and the inhabitants of Iraq (Tigris/Euphrates), those of Egypt especially along the nile and even with the Roma living in England at the time.  Whenever he came across peoples from either of these regions, he felt that the similarities were more than just by chance.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:35
I wonder if any comparisons have been made between the architecture of the Indus Valley civilization to that of Mesepotamia and the Nile. Could the Indus Valley Civilization have been a colony of the ancient Egyptians? Or even vice versa?
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tore The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 17:28
Perhapps we can get some informations after this finding = city of Dwarka , a sunken city of India ? right now we can just speculate.

Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:50
What's amazing about the Indus valley civilization (The Harappans) is that their language has yet to be deciphered. They found Roman coins in one city on the river.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tore The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 19:19
Roman Empire nobles was buing silk from asian countrys , so it is not so confusing that coins are there , in isle of Gotland we find coins and silver from all over the known world at that time. (mostly viking age)

And in Riukiu arcepilago they have also discoverd a sunken "city" (Okinawa), but i take that info , whit a pinch of salt yet.

But it sure do good at "Atantis" legend. Wink

Accordig the female Farao Hapshepsut , so was an old channel to red sea dug up and improved , so Egypt could easy traveld to Asia , and  southern Africa .
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2008 at 07:35
    We know for certain that IVC had trade with Sumer. However no trace of a direct trade between IVC and Egypt has been found. If there was any trade between Egypt and IVC it had to be indirect i.e IVC goods were traded with Sumer and then Sumer traded them with Egypt. However since Egypt was located in Africa which had abudant supplies of Gold and Precious stones there was no need to trade with IVC for these commodities. 
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 23:37
I have heard that trade did exist between Ancient Pakistan (IVC) and the Ancient Egypt and that upscale egyptian cotton was often called ''Sindhos'' pertaining to where fine cotton was imported from.

Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 06:48
there is a theory that Nefertiti was of Indian descent, Ill try finding my sources tomorrow. 
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2008 at 15:02
Originally posted by Julius Augustus

there is a theory that Nefertiti was of Indian descent, Ill try finding my sources tomorrow. 

do you mean of trans-indus(i.e. ancient Pakistan) extraction or from gangetic india ??
as it is known than the region of ancient Pakistan traded with the horn of Africa, the Gulf, Mesopotamia and Ancient egypt.

Edited by MarcoPolo - 03-Jun-2008 at 15:03
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 21:44

Let's just call it Indus instead of Pakistan

MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 04:46
Indus is Pakistan... just as the Nile is Egypt   Smile
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 05:01
Originally posted by MarcoPolo

I knew something was wrong when I read this thread... I thought the Indus was situated in Brazil and the Nile was located in Russia. Looks like I need to study my geography.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 12-Jul-2008 at 05:02
What is the officer problem?
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 18:09
lol! darius, it wouldnt hurt to check out a map(will take you less than a minute).. :)

Originally posted by Sun Tzu

What's amazing about the Indus valley civilization (The Harappans) is that their language has yet to be deciphered. They found Roman coins in one city on the river.

I think the failure of having the IVC language dicephered has led to so much speculation, that until it is finally cracked, we never will understand this very important civilization for all that it really was.   I for one think that an international effort should be undertaken to decipher the language of the ancient Pakistani people as I think its ramifications will go far to unravel and understand the details of the region.. The IVC still remains one of the last Undicephered Languages of a large and highly developed civilization!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 08:09
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

I knew something was wrong when I read this thread... I thought the Indus was situated in Brazil and the Nile was located in Russia. Looks like I need to study my geography.

this is the chronic problem with certain pakistani mods and their so called expert of south asia matters , they want to erase from their past history name india ,indic,indus. if any body tries to correct them he is immediately banned. so the same fate is awaiting amar and darius of persia. 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 11:37
Originally posted by raja ali

Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

this is the chronic problem with certain pakistani mods and their so called expert of south asia matters , they want to erase from their past history name india ,indic,indus. if any body tries to correct them he is immediately banned. so the same fate is awaiting amar and darius of persia. 

No, only you.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2008 at 01:15

I'm inclined to agree that Indus is, well, INDus - though it has absolutely nothing to do with the modern political entities called India and Pakistan. India is not just a political designation though, it's also a geographic one, and typically we go by geographic designations (not modern political entities). For instance, we call Celtiberians, Celtiberians, not "ancient Spaniards". The geographic designation for the region the Indus were in is India - Pakistan is not a geographic term. Or, to be more blunt, there's no such thing as "ancient Pakistan" because Pakistan quite simply didn't exist that far back. The subcontinent - not the nation - of India, however, did.

Back to the topic of the thread; I don't know if Egypt was trading with the Indus or not (they certainly never settled there!) but there was long-distance trade over equally long distances long before Egypt had emerged as a unified kingdom (or even before the Upper and Lower Kingdom emerged). During the Neolithic, and throughout the Chalcolithic, inhabitants of the Nile banks were getting obsidian (and other stones - jade, I think?) from as far afied as Afghanistan. Probably not directly though but through many intermediaries, the same way Romans were getting silk from China.

Edited by edgewaters - 24-Nov-2008 at 01:18
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2008 at 14:49
Well they both traded with Sumer so it is quite possible that they crossed paths. Whether they directly traded, well, I think they used Sumer as the middle ground between both civilizations.
SpartaN117 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SpartaN117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 01:03
Originally posted by edgewaters

I'm inclined to agree that Indus is, well, INDus - though it has absolutely nothing to do with the modern political entities called India and Pakistan. India is not just a political designation though, it's also a geographic one, and typically we go by geographic designations (not modern political entities). For instance, we call Celtiberians, Celtiberians, not "ancient Spaniards". The geographic designation for the region the Indus were in is India - Pakistan is not a geographic term. Or, to be more blunt, there's no such thing as "ancient Pakistan" because Pakistan quite simply didn't exist that far back. The subcontinent - not the nation - of India, however, did.

Have to disagree with you.

Indus Valley is pretty much the region now known as Pakistan. Pakistani people have ancestral links to that land for as far as history has been recorded in the region.

Indus Valley = Pakistan.

You cant call them Indians, because India didnt exist back then either, and Indus Valley people didnt refer to themselves as Indian, neither do the Indian people have any ancestral links to Indus Valley, i.e Pakistan.
You have to use the ancient name, or the modern name.

Referring to it as India is geographically wrong because India doesnt not refer to British Indian empire anymore. Certain people here would love to disagree on that though.

Using the modern Geographic name for a region is not a political agenda. However, making references to the British Indian Empire is a political agenda if I ever saw one. If you are so keen on using Geographic terms, Indus already is; what about Punjab and Sindh?: Using such a massive region called India as a reference is absurd in many ways. Why not call it Ancient Asia and get it over with?

PakHub.Info
Reclaiming Pakistans Identity
Join Us
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>