Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What about the Hindu past of Pakistan, Afganisthan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about the Hindu past of Pakistan, Afganisthan
    Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 05:18
Pakistan was part of India and it is well known.

Afghanistan was also part of Bharat / Hindusthan.

As in some other posting, I have pointed out, Indians are there still here, whose forefathers were hailing from those places.

Many place names, inspite of Islamization, still have the past-roots. The common issues, problems for all people appear to be the same - as developing nations face poverty, and other economic problems, social issues etc.

However, how they preserve or respect their past in spite of changes taken place?

Historical, archaeological and other studies might bring out new facts.

If such new discoveries are there, they can be shaed and discussed for better understanding.
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 11:46
Having done about 2 years of History and Archeological research in Pakistan I think I can help you out Nachiappan. :))

Pakistan has many historical sites due to the overlapping histories it has shared with many of its neighboors as well as many indigenous sites unique to it only.

There are many monuments and archeological sites some of the best known being in parts of Panjab, Frontier and Sindh and are related to Bactrian, Greek and Buddhist periods of Pakistan's diversified past.

There are also many Zorastrian temples and aforementioned Buddhist (stupas) dotted throughout the country.  Other famous sites include the tomb Bucephalus (Alexander's horse) and Empress Nur Jehan of the Mughal Empire.

As far as Hinduism is concerned.  Im sorry to inform you but the number of ancient sites or historical significance are unfortunately relatively limited Nachiappan.   :(

there are some notable exceptions to cheer you up :):

Near the Salt Range in the Potohar plateau in the area of Ketas and Kallar Kahar(apparently according to hindoo folklore this is where Siva cried and her tear created the pond of water there!), there are also other ruins near Khund built by the escaping Turkish Cousins of Mahmud of Ghaznavi (known as the Shahi Turks) who fled Afghanistan and set up base in the area.  They were the last remaining hindoo to flee eastern Afghanistan.  Mahmud of Ghaznavi later came after his cousins into the area of modern day Pakistan and incorporated the area into his empire.  While it is claimed that many cities in Pakistan derive their names from possible hindoo sources, these are mostly oral traditions and lack authenticity or confirmation.

Most of Pakistans few hindoo sites are more recent additions built within the last 150 years ironically built during the british rule of South Asia and can be found in many urban centres such as in Karachi, other parts of Sindh, Balochistan etc..

Also, of interest, there are also several reknowned sites belonging to the Sikh faith and religion whose empire was largely based in the Pakistan along its eastern border with India.  These are also, relatively new in historical terms and most of these date from the 18th century.  These include the birth place of the founder 'Guru Nanak' at Nankana Saib, Panja Sahib (epic of Guru Nanak, his friend Mardana and Baba Ghanderi at Hasan Abdal) and other famous places like Ranjit Singh's Samandhar(tomb) in Lahore etc...

Unfortunately, while Pakistan has at various times shared a history with that India, hinduism never really took root in the area and as a result we dont have many of the extensive temples one finds in India here in Pakistan.  Apparently, even in antiquity, The area of Septa Sindhu (Panjab & Sindh) was considered impure by devout and practising hindoos according to ancient hindoo texts/scriptures (I believe its stated in the Upanishads or Puranas but could be mistaken as its been quite some time since I first read them in school). 

Hope that helped a little.
Tiggs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 22:53
Its amusing how Pakistanis will try to deny their hindu past when the very fact is that people living by Indus were called hindus by persians prior to existence of Islam.  Most Hindu temples have been destroyed or converted to Mosque in Pakistan. There were not too many Greeks who settled in Pakistan as compared to the local  population. Greek effect is probably less than the English effect on the genetics of the local population. The fact is that people in Afghanistan, Pakistan worshipped a form of hinduism which later morphed into Budhism after the Maurya Empire. Zorastrian religion was never a significant religion in that area.  Most of the population was around the River Saraswati and Indus. When Saraswati dried up people most moved east, and Ganges acquired the immportance that the river Saraswati had in the past.  
betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote betaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 23:26
you guys are wrong here. most paksitanis do not deny thier hindu past. we have nothing against hindusim, its a great ancient religion of the region. The thing pakistanis deny however is that often we hear present day indians claming pakistan to be the part of present day india. The thing i mean to say is that lets say some one sitting in bombay or calcuatta would be claming that pakistan belongs to india. now why would bengali man from calcutta or maharashtaran man from bombay say that? what do they have to do with the present day pakistanis who are punjabis, pathans, balochis sindhis?? and why would they claim the land of pakistan?

Edited by betaab - 31-Jul-2007 at 23:29
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 05:04

Tiggs has already raised the point.

While India still has Islam, Muslims and their reportedly monuments (with usual controversies), how is that nothing or few exist in Pakistan?

Generally, every country preserves, protects and maintain the heritage monuments. Then, what happened in Pakistan?

Edited by M. Nachiappan - 01-Aug-2007 at 05:05
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 05:29
Mr. Marcopolo,

As you mentioned that you have done two years research in History and archaeology, can you tell me the issues of "Pakistan Archaeology" are coming out.

Some time back, in the same column, I read some other thread that the issues were stopped or coming out.

In India, where we can buy?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 06:18
As anyone knows the word Hindu, refers to the inhabitants of lands east of the Indus and not their religions, until Mughal times.

Hinduis, never really spread in Pakistan it was buddhist until Islam.
pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote pumaaa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 06:51
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

While India still has Islam, Muslims and their reportedly monuments (with usual controversies), how is that nothing or few exist in Pakistan?

Excellent Knock!

It simply says how the existing religious conviction got in and rooted as of today. It was plain cleansing & replacement. Take the similar case like one of Cambodia were you can find lot of Hindu heritage and monuments though today the region follows a different religion. Ifnt take the case of Indonesia and Malaysia that even today they have their own version of Ramayan and Mahabharat being followers of a different religion.

betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote betaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 11:30
^ i think ur confusing buddihist monuments with hindu monuments
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 14:27
Originally posted by Sparten

As anyone knows the word Hindu, refers to the inhabitants of lands east of the Indus and not their religions, until Mughal times.

Hinduis, never really spread in Pakistan it was buddhist until Islam.

That's a very good point brought up by dear Sparten,
There is a difference between Hinduism and Buddhism, and the  west of Indus region was never under a strong influence of Hinduism.
Well I can't say much about Pakistan but for sure Afghanistan was never under a strong influence (I mean something more than 15-20 percent of population) of Hinduims, but one can say that Afghanistan was once under a great influence of buddhism, that's a fact that no one can challenge as we still have lots and lots of relics and monuments of Buddhism era and the biggest example of it could be the Buddha Statue in Bamyan province, which is said that was the center of Buddhism religion.

Hinduism mostly came to Afghanistan after the campaigns of Ahmad Shah Abdali in India from where he brought back people with Hindu religion as slaves.

We still have a large population of Hindu (religion followers) and Sikh performing there religions without any trouble and when asked they will reply you that they are proud of their Afghan Identity.

We have them in our Education infrastructure, military, Health section and many many other departments.

Even they fought against the Russians along with Mujahidden in 1980s.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 14:32
Gharani, you have lived in Pakistan, how much "Hindu| is there. Incidentally, the Hindu religion is very much a gangatic plain thing.
pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote pumaaa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 01:00
Originally posted by betaab

^ i think ur confusing buddihist monuments with hindu monuments

One of few big hindu shiva temple is from combodia and good number of heritage sites in that region represent hinduism.
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 12:56
sorry about the delay in writing:

that is correct Nachippan, I got to do some work in Taxilla and in a place called 'Takht Bhai' outside of Peshawer when I used to study in Islamia COllege there.

Im not sure exactly what your asking?

But nowadays, the man to follow and all round expert in Pakistan is Professor Ahmad Dani who is our country's top expert when it comes to history and archealogy.  He taught us during our 2nd year prof at university.  Recently he's been doing a lot of work on the linguistic origins of Pakistani languages.  Being our foremost expert, he is a big opponent of the Dravidian origin theory particularly when referring to the natives of the Indus Valley Civilization.  If you get a chance, do read up on some of his work.

Im a little dissapointed with some of the comments here by other individuals.  But I dont know what type of misconceptions and angle those individuals have, nor the background or knowlegde they have, so I hope that they can read a few more books and improve their understanding of the region which will help clear up many common misconceptions of the region.  There were no mass destruction of hindoo monuments in Pakistan because, no mass monuments existed, even ancient sanskrit texts dont point to any major temple or pilgrimage sites once you cross into the Panjab or SIndh region.  There has however sadly, been considerable damage, neglect and ignorance been directed at Pakistan vast Buddhist remains which I believe the government should do more to protect as I think we have the potential to offer much to practising Buddhists around the world.

Sparten you are correct in that Hinduism was more rooted in the Ganges and never really had any significant impact in the region of modern day Pakistan as well as Afghanistan. It is unfortunate that many people try to paint Pakistan/Afghanistan under a general South Asian or Indian brush which is inccorrect and not accurate especially when factoring our diverse history.  The Indus region was always a border region akin to Turkey's thrace region and as such has always had a unique identity and culture of its own quite distinct from that of regions further east in the central plains of the Asian Subcontinent.   Apparently even in Pre-Islamic times, there was much antagonism and hostility between the region of the Indus and that of the Ganges which I find quite interesting, so people who say our historical dispute is merely religious or politically (modern) are in fact, quite wrong.. it appears that we've been at each others throat for quite some time lol!

Anyhow, back to nachiapan, I hope I've answered some of your questions but I wasnt sure exactly what you were asking ( eg...where we can buy?)

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 13:42
Originally posted by Sparten

Gharani, you have lived in Pakistan, how much "Hindu| is there. Incidentally, the Hindu religion is very much a gangatic plain thing.

Well dear Sparten,
I guess you are right but as far as I am concerned I lived in Islamabad and had visited so few other cities, that's why I said that I don't really know much about Pakistan's Hindu population.

In Islamabad, a Hindu was something like a rare resource, I mean I hardly visited 20-50 Hindus in around 5 years (most of them I had came over in neighbour city Rawalpindi).

But in a visit of mine to Lahore I saw loots of them I mean I was there for something like 10 days and as we friends were on our vacations so we used to go site seeing and came over lots of Hindus + their Temples.

So that's why I said that I don't know about other cities, but still as I replied in my post that Indus civilization along with Afghanistan once was under Buddhism but never under Hinduism.
It's clear that Hindus lived around the Gengis river and their religion never got soo exposed to get to the Indus civilization and further west.

MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote MarcoPolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 14:46
Originally posted by Gharanai

[But in a visit of mine to Lahore I saw loots of them I mean I was there for something like 10 days and as we friends were on our vacations so we used to go site seeing and came over lots of Hindus + their Temples.

So that's why I said that I don't know about other cities, but still as I replied in my post that Indus civilization along with Afghanistan once was under Buddhism but never under Hinduism.

It's clear that Hindus lived around the Gengis river and their religion never got soo exposed to get to the Indus civilization and further west.

wow.. Gharanai.. I've been to Lahore on numerous occasions and have never seen a hindu temple there?   I think your mistaking them for Sikh temples (they look somewhat similar) because last time I checked, there are no prominent hindu temples in Lahore that I know of!

Most of the Sikhs/hindoos I've met in Pakistan were on pilgrammage during the 'Vaisakhi' celebration when they used to come to Hasan Abdal and Lahore, but they where visitors.

In Peshawer, we have a small community (hundreds?) of Sikhs who incidently are mostly from Afghanistan and speak Pashto and Dari. 
In our village in Khyber we have a family of Sikhs whom we refer to as ''Hamsayar's'', but they too, migrated from Jalalabad Afghanistan in the 80's.

also, just a little interesting 'fact', last year we had the first 'Sikh' Pakistani join the Pakistani army which is quite interesting since sikhs/hindoo represent less than 1.5% of Pakistan's population.

But the bulk of the hindoo population of Pakistan is Sindhi in origin from the Tharparkar area of Sindh adjacent to the Rann of Kutch and Umerkot on the other side.  They are famous for their beautiful jewelery and bangles that they wear and have established themselves principally as textile traders.

Edited by MarcoPolo - 02-Aug-2007 at 14:48
Tiggs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tiggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 18:14
I am glad somebody brought up Taxila. Taxila was known to be a great learning centre way before Buddha was even born. Buddha was said to have lived around 450 BC, and Buddhism never spread before Ashoka adopted it and sent his kins all over the world to spread it. That was around 220 BC. Ashoka's grandfather, Chandragupta , and the founder of the Mauryan empire was a hindu, and his main advisor, Chanakya actually taught at Taxila. In 326 BC, Alexander defeated Ambhi, king of Taxila and also a hindu. Hinduism is over 3000 year old, and Budhism is a relative newcomer compared to hinduism.  Obviously hinduism prevailed before buddhism took root. It can also be argued that budhism is not a religion, but a way of life, so in essence you can follow both the 'religions' at once.

It is said that King Taksha founded both Tashkent and Taxila. In any case, it was only after king ashoka, that Taxila started teaching buddhist thought. Mauryan empire under Chandragupta and Bimbusar covered entire Pakistan, afghanistan and parts of Iran and old USSR. The whole culture was destroyed by the epthalites or the white huns in about 400 AD (some say ..the ancestors of present day jatts). The buddhist, or hindu culture never recovered after that. Jatts to this day do not follow hinduism or islam in its truest form.  Hindu jatts do not care much for brahmins, allow remarriage of widows etc. Muslim jatts were never the most fervent of followers of Islam...and Sikh Jatts are a brand of their own.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 18:56
Pakistan and Afghanistan have always had an Islamic tradition, since their inception.
betaab View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote betaab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 21:36
yup for the last thousand years atleast^
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 04:33
Pakistani / Afganisthani friends need not be so allegetic about their "Hindu past", arguing that "Hindu" came only after "Moghul" and so on.

Explaining such past only result in repetion of facts and much of them has already been discussed, debated and available right in all.empires.com.

Archaeologist A. H. Dani and other Pakistani scholars in their reports have clearly pointed out the findings of yagna kundas etc., which could not be belonging to Jains or Buddhists or anyother non-Hindus.

So, as I have mentioned at least twice that my friends' Hindu-forefathers are in Pakistan, the pre-1947 Indians / Hindus / Muslims cannot erase their past.

The destruction of monuments etc., could be resorted to in erasing such past, but, whatever has been recorded in the minds and brains cannot be erased.
pumaaa123 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote pumaaa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2007 at 07:28

Originally posted by Tiggs

Buddha was said to have lived around 450 BC, and Buddhism never spread before Ashoka adopted it and sent his kins all over the world to spread it. That was around 220 BC. Ashoka's grandfather, Chandragupta , and the founder of the Mauryan empire was a hindu, and his main advisor, Chanakya actually taught at Taxila. In 326 BC, Alexander defeated Ambhi, king of Taxila and also a hindu. Hinduism is over 3000 year old, and Budhism is a relative newcomer compared to hinduism.  Obviously hinduism prevailed before buddhism took root. It can also be argued that budhism is not a religion, but a way of life, so in essence you can follow both the 'religions' at once.

Mauryan empire under Chandragupta and Bimbusar covered entire Pakistan, afghanistan and parts of Iran and old USSR. The whole culture was destroyed by the epthalites or the white huns in about 400 AD (some say ..the ancestors of present day jatts). The buddhist, or hindu culture never recovered after that. Jatts to this day do not follow hinduism or islam in its truest form.  Hindu jatts do not care much for brahmins, allow remarriage of widows etc. Muslim jatts were never the most fervent of followers of Islam...and Sikh Jatts are a brand of their own.

... Near exact! Around 400AD the existing culture of the region had undergone a massive destruction. It carried on by incorporating a lot from outside in name of religion.

The sects, rajputs, jatts, gujjars etc and the language Punjabi, Sindi etc exist on both sides of the region, India and pak. The Indian side follows Hinduism from its start and what the pak side followed till the newer religion Islam was bought in?? Do anyone set there to put a stmt that even the Indian side had no Hinduism in its very past?

The Indus region in its later stage followed the Vedic Style of life, which is nothing but what is called Hinduism in modern day. The birth of idol worship progressed during this Vedic reign and has been carried forward which is still in practice.

By mapping the respective periods in ^ above, anyone can say what existed in todays pak region that time.

Related to Afghanistan, hopefully Hinduism hadnt made much as Buddhism did.

I can see few asserting that the people of todays Pakistan region just undergone a name change and nothing more, though some other time claim, nothing in name Hinduism existed in that region. Fine!

Edited by pumaaa123 - 03-Aug-2007 at 07:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>