Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XVI - Thanks for Playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XVI - Thanks for Playing
    Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 12:04
Scores have been updated for possibly the last time in Round 1 (It may be done once more). No changes up the top of the board.
Only 4 hours left in Round 1!

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by Knights

Originally posted by gcle2003

Question 3 could do with a little explanation. What does "an ignited address" mean? An inflammatory one? Are we looking for the general name for such an address, or the title of a specific one?

And was the address made famous by two great Greek and Roman orators, or did they make the political figure famous?

Argh! Sorry for not responding gcle, I'm confused as to why I didn't...
I see you have got the answer now.
For everyone else though, in this case an ignited address is a fiery one, but not necessarily insulting or defamatory.
We are looking for the specific name given to this type of address...
The address was made by two great Greek and Roman orators.
Hope that clears up everything. Again, I apologise for not responding prior to this.

Ok. For a moment there I thought we were being asked to find a political figure who was denounced by both a Greek and a Roman orator. It seemed unlikely, I admit.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 15:31
First Round of the Total Quiz is ending in half an hour at 4 PM EST.

Any unanswered questions will advance to round two which will start immediately after ending round one and will last 24 hours.

Correctly answered questions in round two will be rewarded with 2 points.

Good work everyone - and good luck.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 16:09
Round one is completed - the final scores are here:

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 16:14
Round two in progress with question 10, 12 and 15.

Round two will last 24 hours and will end at:
Sunday 04 PM EST (East Coast USA / Default Server time)
Sunday 22:00 CET (Paris)

Current Scoreboard:

Edited by Northman - 28-Jul-2007 at 16:20
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 16:42
Proofreading the submissions of round one shows that Dawn actually answered question #4 correctly.
The current 0,66 will be adjusted to a full point on the next update.

~ Northman
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 20:05
Scores Updated
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 20:37
Here are the answers to the questions answered correctly in Round 1. If you feel the urgent need to contest any, or make a case for your own deemed incorrect answer, go ahead.

Question 1
Name the monarch nicknamed "The Spider King". (Question by poirot)
Answer: Louis XI of France (Category: Medieval History, Difficulty: Very Easy)
Question 2
Name the four emperors in the Year of the Four Emperors. (Question by poirot)
Answer: Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasian. (Category: Ancient Mediterranean History, Difficulty: Very Easy)
Question 3
What was the name for an ignited address aimed at condemning another political figure, made famous by two great Greek and Roman orators. (Question by Knights)
Answer: A Philippic. Demosthenes delivered his Philippics to Philip II of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great, while Cicero aimed his at Mark Antony, right hand man of Julius Caesar.
Question 4
Threes Company. Born within a span of five years and dead within three years of each other, these three men defined the political arena of a young nation. One represented the North, another represented the South, and the third the West. All three statesmen were famous orators and held powerful positions, but none achieved the highest office. Name the three men. (Question by poirot)
Answer: Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun, and Henry Clay. (Category: United States History, Difficulty: Easy)
Question 5
Tooth and Nails. He was a great general whose deeds have found fame in the Eurasian continent. He was well known by a name that meant "arrow" in his native tongue, partly because he was a deadly archer. He achieved elite status among the best warriors of his people, and was often referred to as one of the fierce "dogs" serving a famous conqueror. Who was he? (Question by poirot)
Answer: Jebe, which meant "arrow" in Mongolian. He joined Subotai and Jeleme as one of Chingghis Khan's loyal and fierce "wardogs". (Category: Steppe History, Difficulty: Fairly Easy)
Question 6
Aunt and Niece. Both aunt and niece originally shared the same name. The aunt married a famous writer, while the niece married a famous actor. Coincidently, the famous writer and famous actor were actually uncle and nephew. The niece launched her own acting career and despite her background, became a favorite of a notorious politician. What was the name shared by the aunt and the niece? (Question by poirot)
Answer: Olga Knipper. The aunt married Anton Chekhov, while the niece married Mikhail Chekhov, Antons nephew. The younger Olga later divorced her husband, but kept the Chekhova surname. Despite her ex-husbands Jewish background, she became a favorite actress of Adolf Hitler. It was later discovered that Olga Chekhova might have been a Soviet spy. (Category: East European History and Twentieth Century Difficulty: Fairly Easy)
Question 7
Control and Consolidation. Her father and mother were both capable monarchs whose union helped consolidate lands and build a new power. Her husband came from a prestigious family whose power lasted for hundreds of years. Her son would inherit vast lands from both paternal and maternal sides, enjoying an empire seemingly without bounds. Yet, despite all that, she spent much of her life in virtual captivity, locked up by either her father or her son. Who was she? (Question by poirot)
Answer: She was Juana the Mad. Her parents were Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabel of Castille. Her husband was Phillip the Handsome, the son of Hapsburg Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and Mary of Burgundy. Her son was Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, who inherited Austria and much of the Burgundian Neatherlands from his paternal side, and Aragon, Castille, and New World findings from his maternal side. Juana the Mad was kept in Tordesillas by her father and son for the latter years of her life. (Category: European History, Difficulty: Fairly Easy)
Question 8
Up and Down. This civilization derived parts of its culture from a more advanced neighboring culture, and for a relatively brief period of time, its power extended north, establishing a line of rulers that also controlled lands of the neighboring civilization. An extremely militant foreign power invaded, and after a series of events, those lands were lost. Subsequently, the centre of activity shifted south, and the capital was moved to another city. The new capital city flourished and gradually became famous for a unique set of graves. Name the city. (Question by poirot)
Answer: Meroe. The Nubian Kush civilization derived parts of its culture from Ancient Egypt. Amidst the turmoil following the New Kingdom, Kush*tes based from the city of Napata controlled Upper Egypt and later added Lower Egypt to the mix, establishing the Twenty-Fifth dynasty. After a clash with the Assyrians, Kush*te control over Egypt waned, and the next Egyptian dynasty drove the foreign rulers back to Nubia, where the center of activity shifted southwards, to Meroe. Meroe became famous for its pyramids, in which Nubian monarchs were entombed in the Egyptian style. (Category: Ancient History and African History, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 9
Charm and Chameleon. She was born from an ordinary background, but eventually captured the eyes and ears of an entire continent through extraordinary means. Best known by a charming foreign name, she reinvented herself as a goddess, dressing in exotic garbs and mystifying herself with ever changing tales from far away lands. Despite a lack of stunning beauty, she became the symbol of sexual freedom, and the jewel of very influential men. Nevertheless, her chameleon-like charm proved detrimental during hard times, as she was eventually accused as a traitor and executed. Who was she? (Question by poirot)
Answer: She was Margaretha Zelle, better known as Mata Hari, the exotic Eastern style dancer and courtesan who burst into the Parisian scene in the early 1900s. Although born from an ordinary Dutch Family, Margaretha reinvented herself as an Eastern goddess, and incorporated foreign dance styles she witnessed during a stay in Java into her performance. She told the press ever changing tales of her fake upbringing in the Orient, which intrigued the public, and made her a symbol of exotic female promiscuity. During the latter stages of World War I, her reputation as a mysterious persona made her a target, as she was subsequently accused of being a German spy, tried, and executed by firing squad. (Category: Cultural History and Famous Women, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 11
Calm and Calamity. An arrogant army easily entered into foreign territory, intent on toying with local politics. The existing ruler was driven out, and a new, more obedient puppet ruler was installed. All seemed well, until arrogance and ignorance bred hatred among the locals, leading to revolts that spiraled out of control. The once arrogant army surrendered to the exiled rulers son, and despite being guaranteed a safe exit, the soldiers and their followers were ruthlessly hunted down on their retreat route. Only one person successfully made the journey home. Name the lone survivor. (Question by poirot)
Answer: The lone survivor was Dr. William Brydon, an accompanying army surgeon. In 1839, the British army marched to Afghanistan, intent on replacing Dost Mahomed, the current ruler, with a more compliant puppet, Shah Soojah. The operation was initially successful, and the British soon captured Kabul, with Dost Mahomed fleeing to the Hindu Kush. Yet, British arrogance and ignorance of Afghan customs infuriated the locals, and in 1841, Akbar Khan, the son of Dost Mahomed, led successful revolts against the occupation. The British were forced to surrender, and the 4500 strong army, along with its 12000 camp followers, endured a humiliating retreat. Soldiers and camp followers were massacred on their trek back to India, and only one escapee, Dr. William Brydon, competed the journey back to Jalalabad fort. (Category: Central Asian History and Colonial History, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 13
Fighting on a front thousands of miles from home, I first led an assault against an island occupied by another colonial power. Following the successful capture of this island, I swept the seas hastily after news of my countryman's distress. In the blink of an eye, in my ship of "victory", I swiftly returned to the first island to recapture a ship captured by the ever present opposing power. Shortly after, I ordered an offensive against a key nearby island, securing it from the previous occupants. This ended the conflict in this particular theater. Despite my accomplishments, I died as what some may see as unfulfilled. Who am I? (Question by Knights)
Answer: I am Admiral Sir Josias Rowley. Born in 1765 in Ireland. Serving the British, I commanded the campaign to capture Mauritius and Reunion Island in 1810. I later died unmarried, and without an heir, in 1842.
Question 14
He was a man of humble origins in an opressed country. He became involved in its liberation movement and was subsequently the first to be elevated to an impressive position. His views however were not well regarded by certain foreign countries. After a civil war, he was deposed and assasinated. The foreign involvement in these events was and still is quite controversial. Who is he? (Question by Decebal)
Answer: Patrice Lumumba

Keep up the good work with Round 2...remember each question remaining has a hint (except for Q15 I believe, yet) and is worth 2 points. Happy answering!

- Knights -
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 21:33
I see Poirot has had a hand in some of the questions.Wink  My compliments to all, good variety.

Edited by Justinian - 28-Jul-2007 at 21:35
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 02:11
Scores updated 2AM EST

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 02:15
Thanks Justinian!  Congrats to Justinian, glce2003, and Dawn for an excellent performance! 

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 04:11

Scores updated 4 AM EST - no changes though.

Next update in 4 hours, 8 AM EST
12 hours to go!

Good work guys! Smile
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 06:32
On question 13 I was originally misled by the reference to his 'ship of victory' which I assumed meant he had at some time captained or flown his flag in HMS Victory. Since Admiral Keppel (the only one who did that and also some island-hopping and 'died unfulfilled') didn't work, I had to give up on Victory, and Mauritius/Reunion was then fairly obvious.

I still don't get the 'ship of victory' reference. Victory herself never served 'thousands of miles' from home.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 06:40
Scores updated again. The next update will be at 10am Server time, I'd imagine. Gcle has shot up the ranks!

Regarding question 13; Victory referred to two things, one a lot more subtle than the other.
1) Victory, because it was the ship he had gained victory in
2) Victory, in reference to the ship's name "HMS Boadicea". The name Boadicea (Boudicca) actually means "victory".

I congratulate you on being the only one to get this question, nice stuff.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 08:12
Scores updated - no changes this time!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 08:57
Originally posted by Knights

Regarding question 13; Victory referred to two things, one a lot more subtle than the other.
1) Victory, because it was the ship he had gained victory in
2) Victory, in reference to the ship's name "HMS Boadicea". The name Boadicea (Boudicca) actually means "victory".

I didn't know 'Boadicea' meant 'victory'. Did you get all this from the history books or from Patrick O'Brian Smile?

Jack Aubrey hardly died unfulfilled though.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 12:14
Scores updated...

Only 4 hours remains before completion of TQ XVI.

Ending time is 04 PM EST (East Coast USA / Default Server time)

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 15:38
Less than half an hour to go - still time for a final answer !

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 16:12
The Winner of Total Quiz XVI, for having the most points goes to...

Justinian

Congratulations!

For winning the Total Quiz, JUSTINIAN will recieve this award to display in his signature.

Thanks to all who played and I hope you enjoyoed the Total Quiz!

Acknowledgements
In addition, I would like to thank assistant moderators Knights and Poirot for their assistance in operating this quiz.
A special thanks to the authors who makes it possible to make the TQ.

Final Scores:

Questions and Answers:

Question 1
Name the monarch nicknamed "The Spider King". (Question by poirot)
Answer: Louis XI of France (Category: Medieval History, Difficulty: Very Easy)
Question 2
Name the four emperors in the Year of the Four Emperors. (Question by poirot)
Answer: Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and Vespasian. (Category: Ancient Mediterranean History, Difficulty: Very Easy)
Question 3
What was the name for an ignited address aimed at condemning another political figure, made famous by two great Greek and Roman orators. (Question by Knights)
Answer: A Philippic. Demosthenes delivered his Philippics to Philip II of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great, while Cicero aimed his at Mark Antony, right hand man of Julius Caesar.
Question 4
Threes Company. Born within a span of five years and dead within three years of each other, these three men defined the political arena of a young nation. One represented the North, another represented the South, and the third the West. All three statesmen were famous orators and held powerful positions, but none achieved the highest office. Name the three men. (Question by poirot)
Answer: Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun, and Henry Clay. (Category: United States History, Difficulty: Easy)
Question 5
Tooth and Nails. He was a great general whose deeds have found fame in the Eurasian continent. He was well known by a name that meant "arrow" in his native tongue, partly because he was a deadly archer. He achieved elite status among the best warriors of his people, and was often referred to as one of the fierce "dogs" serving a famous conqueror. Who was he? (Question by poirot)
Answer: Jebe, which meant "arrow" in Mongolian. He joined Subotai and Jeleme as one of Chingghis Khan's loyal and fierce "wardogs". (Category: Steppe History, Difficulty: Fairly Easy)
Question 6
Aunt and Niece. Both aunt and niece originally shared the same name. The aunt married a famous writer, while the niece married a famous actor. Coincidently, the famous writer and famous actor were actually uncle and nephew. The niece launched her own acting career and despite her background, became a favorite of a notorious politician. What was the name shared by the aunt and the niece? (Question by poirot)
Answer: Olga Knipper. The aunt married Anton Chekhov, while the niece married Mikhail Chekhov, Antons nephew. The younger Olga later divorced her husband, but kept the Chekhova surname. Despite her ex-husbands Jewish background, she became a favorite actress of Adolf Hitler. It was later discovered that Olga Chekhova might have been a Soviet spy. (Category: East European History and Twentieth Century Difficulty: Fairly Easy)
Question 7
Control and Consolidation. Her father and mother were both capable monarchs whose union helped consolidate lands and build a new power. Her husband came from a prestigious family whose power lasted for hundreds of years. Her son would inherit vast lands from both paternal and maternal sides, enjoying an empire seemingly without bounds. Yet, despite all that, she spent much of her life in virtual captivity, locked up by either her father or her son. Who was she? (Question by poirot)
Answer: She was Juana the Mad. Her parents were Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabel of Castille. Her husband was Phillip the Handsome, the son of Hapsburg Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and Mary of Burgundy. Her son was Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, who inherited Austria and much of the Burgundian Neatherlands from his paternal side, and Aragon, Castille, and New World findings from his maternal side. Juana the Mad was kept in Tordesillas by her father and son for the latter years of her life. (Category: European History, Difficulty: Fairly Easy)
Question 8
Up and Down. This civilization derived parts of its culture from a more advanced neighboring culture, and for a relatively brief period of time, its power extended north, establishing a line of rulers that also controlled lands of the neighboring civilization. An extremely militant foreign power invaded, and after a series of events, those lands were lost. Subsequently, the centre of activity shifted south, and the capital was moved to another city. The new capital city flourished and gradually became famous for a unique set of graves. Name the city. (Question by poirot)
Answer: Meroe. The Nubian Kush civilization derived parts of its culture from Ancient Egypt. Amidst the turmoil following the New Kingdom, Kush*tes based from the city of Napata controlled Upper Egypt and later added Lower Egypt to the mix, establishing the Twenty-Fifth dynasty. After a clash with the Assyrians, Kush*te control over Egypt waned, and the next Egyptian dynasty drove the foreign rulers back to Nubia, where the center of activity shifted southwards, to Meroe. Meroe became famous for its pyramids, in which Nubian monarchs were entombed in the Egyptian style. (Category: Ancient History and African History, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 9
Charm and Chameleon. She was born from an ordinary background, but eventually captured the eyes and ears of an entire continent through extraordinary means. Best known by a charming foreign name, she reinvented herself as a goddess, dressing in exotic garbs and mystifying herself with ever changing tales from far away lands. Despite a lack of stunning beauty, she became the symbol of sexual freedom, and the jewel of very influential men. Nevertheless, her chameleon-like charm proved detrimental during hard times, as she was eventually accused as a traitor and executed. Who was she? (Question by poirot)
Answer: She was Margaretha Zelle, better known as Mata Hari, the exotic Eastern style dancer and courtesan who burst into the Parisian scene in the early 1900s. Although born from an ordinary Dutch Family, Margaretha reinvented herself as an Eastern goddess, and incorporated foreign dance styles she witnessed during a stay in Java into her performance. She told the press ever changing tales of her fake upbringing in the Orient, which intrigued the public, and made her a symbol of exotic female promiscuity. During the latter stages of World War I, her reputation as a mysterious persona made her a target, as she was subsequently accused of being a German spy, tried, and executed by firing squad. (Category: Cultural History and Famous Women, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 10
Sense and Sensibility. Known for his sense of fairness and judicial talents, he was chosen as the supreme leader. He brought unity and order to a previously disorderly people, but despite his fair reputation as an arbitrator, decided to make him less accessible, and thus heighten his distinction, by spending most of his time in a newly constructed palace. One of his descendants would blaze new ground and found an empire with unprecedented power and riches. His ascendancy to power was recorded by a famous historian, whose work gave us exciting accounts of the struggles between two great civilizations. Name the leader. (Question by poirot)
Answer: The leader is Deioces, first king of the Medes. Known for his judicial powers, he was elected king by the Median tribes. Deioces famously demanded a great palace be built for him in Ecbatana, the new capital, and spent most of his time in the palace, away from his subjects. One of his descendants, Cyrus (distantly related through Cyrus' mother), would later found the first Persian Empire, and lay foundations for its greatness. Deioces ascendancy to power is mentioned in Herodotus The Histories, which details the struggle between the Greek city states and the mighty Persian Empire. (Category: Ancient History and Iranian History, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 11
Calm and Calamity. An arrogant army easily entered into foreign territory, intent on toying with local politics. The existing ruler was driven out, and a new, more obedient puppet ruler was installed. All seemed well, until arrogance and ignorance bred hatred among the locals, leading to revolts that spiraled out of control. The once arrogant army surrendered to the exiled rulers son, and despite being guaranteed a safe exit, the soldiers and their followers were ruthlessly hunted down on their retreat route. Only one person successfully made the journey home. Name the lone survivor. (Question by poirot)
Answer: The lone survivor was Dr. William Brydon, an accompanying army surgeon. In 1839, the British army marched to Afghanistan, intent on replacing Dost Mahomed, the current ruler, with a more compliant puppet, Shah Soojah. The operation was initially successful, and the British soon captured Kabul, with Dost Mahomed fleeing to the Hindu Kush. Yet, British arrogance and ignorance of Afghan customs infuriated the locals, and in 1841, Akbar Khan, the son of Dost Mahomed, led successful revolts against the occupation. The British were forced to surrender, and the 4500 strong army, along with its 12000 camp followers, endured a humiliating retreat. Soldiers and camp followers were massacred on their trek back to India, and only one escapee, Dr. William Brydon, competed the journey back to Jalalabad fort. (Category: Central Asian History and Colonial History, Difficulty: Medium)
Question 12
A Tale of Two Nonconformists. According to one type of calendar, these two exemplary and eccentric figures died in the same year. Both were extraordinary men, nonconformists to be exact, and both helped radiate a beacon of light in a time of relative darkness, providing a jolt of energy for an empire that had lost its previous vigor. One was a military man whose highly innovative tactics and defenses against foreign forces were a rarity during a period of decaying military presence. The other was a civil servant whose moral uptightness and untainted reputation defied the widespread corruption around him. Centuries later, a famous play written about the civil servant brought controversy, and was commonly seen as the spark for a tumultuous Twentieth Century movement. Name the two men. (Question by poirot)
Answer: The two men are Qi Jiguang and Hai Rui, nonconformist figures of the late Ming dynasty China. Both died in the Fifteenth Year of Emperor Wanli, which roughly spanned from February 1587 to February 1588. Born from a hereditary military family, Qi Jiguang revamped part of the decaying Ming military, devising innovative defensive tactics against Japanese pirates and Mongolian raiders of Altan Khan. Initially a low level civil servant, Hai Rui earned fame for his outspoken criticism against Emperor Jiajing and the corrupt bureaucracy that burdened the Ming Empire. In the Twentieth Century, a play about Hai Rui brought controversy when Mao Zedong interpreted its portrayal of Emperor Jiajing as an indirect reference to himself. Many believe that the play may have sparked the Chinese Cultural Revolution. (Category: East Asian History and Famous Men, Difficulty: Very Hard)
Question 13
Fighting on a front thousands of miles from home, I first led an assault against an island occupied by another colonial power. Following the successful capture of this island, I swept the seas hastily after news of my countryman's distress. In the blink of an eye, in my ship of "victory", I swiftly returned to the first island to recapture a ship captured by the ever present opposing power. Shortly after, I ordered an offensive against a key nearby island, securing it from the previous occupants. This ended the conflict in this particular theater. Despite my accomplishments, I died as what some may see as unfulfilled. Who am I? (Question by Knights)
Answer: I am Admiral Sir Josias Rowley. Born in 1765 in Ireland. Serving the British, I commanded the campaign to capture Mauritius and Reunion Island in 1810. I later died unmarried, and without an heir, in 1842.
Question 14
He was a man of humble origins in an opressed country. He became involved in its liberation movement and was subsequently the first to be elevated to an impressive position. His views however were not well regarded by certain foreign countries. After a civil war, he was deposed and assasinated. The foreign involvement in these events was and still is quite controversial. Who is he? (Question by Decebal)
Answer: Patrice Lumumba
Question 15
This was a fabled city, which combined religious and political influence for hundreds of years. A state capital for several kingdoms for many years, it became a centre of learning and religion, attracting pilgrims from a huge area due in part to the very many religious buildings in the city. The city fell into political but not religious decline after the last kingdom which it ruled was attacked by a foreign superpower. What is the name of this city? (Question by Decebal)
Answer: Bagan (situated in Burma/Myanmar)

Feel free to debate the questions and answers with the authors. 

~ Northman

Edited by Northman - 29-Jul-2007 at 16:54
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2007 at 16:26
I'd like to also extend my congratulations to Justinian for his fine work in the quiz. Well done! Thumbs%20Up
But also to Gcle, for a nice finish, and Dawn, the most consistent total quizzer in history! Good job guys.
Thanks to everyone though for playing, and to North and Poirot, it's been great.

Looking forward to the next total quiz!

Regards,
- Knights -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>