Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hitler and Germans the laughing stock of History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitler and Germans the laughing stock of History
    Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 14:12
I think that most but not all that the Nazi have done was bad.

It were bad the war crimes, the attack of other countries, the genocides, but there have been good aspects: the rise of the German national conscieousness, the feeling of a nation as one family, the Germanization of the economy.

I think globalization is a calamity.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 20:28
i am completely against this rhetoric evil generation - good generation. should Schindler apologize for saving Jews or what? or Sophie Scholl for opposing the regime while beign only a teenager who would otherwise care only for boys and make-up? in the 3. reich there were good Germans and very evil Germans. period. you can't just say back then all germans were evil and today all germans are good, or do you think skinheads who beat up blacks and indians in eastern germany are good? most German soldiers back then were forcibly recruited to fight and die on any european theatre, you name it. should they apologize for beign forced to do the dirty work of the nazis or faced being shot? of course nazis were supported back then by many, openly or not, the reason for this is, the economic rise of Germany coincided with the rise of the nazis, of course they had also some responsibility for it but still, if you had to feed your children you would even accept bread from the devil himself. if the government does good to you you don't ask why but gladly accept. if the government with his other hand does bad to others you don't ask why either, because you don't want to lose the favour of this government. everyone knows about the crimes of the nazis, especially nowadays but it was not all bad for the Germans back then, and Germans didn't had much contact with democracy before that so they just gave in and accepted the situation as it was. Jews were a minority and it was not teh only country were jews were regarded as second rate citizens. so why take an effort of savignt hem? in particular if all those rumours of jewish wealth and poisoning wells might be true?

also, why do people always say the people of xy (in this case german) people are bad because the government is bad? government and people is not the f**king same thing! if some freaks take over control of your country by coup and start shooting random people then thats bad enough, its not necessary that "clean" democratic countries start pointing figners and say, hey, why do you shoot random people, we will bomb your cities to teach you the means of democracy. whats the point of that? did it never occured to those countries, who never had a dictatorship, that you, as a commoner, can do shit about it unless you have suicidal tendencies or had training in guerillia warfare?
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 20:44
Originally posted by beorna

Well, the thread began with Bilal Ali's statements about Germans. I don't know why the others writing here. I saw a possibility to tell you a very little about what happened with the normal people and why they did what the did and didn't do what would had been necessary. You cannot prevent such murder if you do not want to understand how such things can happen. If you say it was because the Germans are as they are and this was unic, you will cause a new holocaust somewhere in the future, somewhere in the world. Garvm, you are right in saying we shouldn't compare one crime with another. But right or wrong have nothing to do with the amount of bodies you leave behind you. I don't know if this thread supports nationalism or xenophobia. I think for such an controvers theme it's very peaceful here. Ate logo

I simply dont like to brand a people (Germans for example) as some kind of cruel assassins, because of the crimes of some members of that people.
And i truly believe that speaking about the german crimes (for example...) instead of nazi crimes is a demonization of the"Other", and a step toward xenophobia.
Fica bem!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 20:56
Speaking about german crimes has nothing to do with xenophobia. How is speaking about the crimes of a nation a step toward xenophobia (defined as a hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of what is foreign or strange)? These discussions say more about issues people have with governments not necessarily the people of a nation.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 21:19
When you get a bad government, and it can happen everywhere, you always get an army of followers whether to the left or to the right ready to follow their questionable decisions.
elenos
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 21:38
Originally posted by King John

Speaking about german crimes has nothing to do with xenophobia. How is speaking about the crimes of a nation a step toward xenophobia (defined as a hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of what is foreign or strange)? These discussions say more about issues people have with governments not necessarily the people of a nation.

Im my opinion speak about the crimes of a people is a kind of hatred toward that people because join inocents and guilties, and indentify all the people as criminal.

Much people tend to put in the same place nazi ciminals and inocents germans, thats why i dont like to talk about german crimes but, instead, i talk about nazi crimes.

I follow the same principle when people talk about the american crimes in Guantanamo: there arent american crimes in Guantanamo but american military crimes...

We cant blame all by the mistakes of some!
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:32
Originally posted by Garvm

Im my opinion speak about the crimes of a people is a kind of hatred toward that people because join inocents and guilties, and indentify all the people as criminal.

Much people tend to put in the same place nazi ciminals and inocents germans, thats why i dont like to talk about german crimes but, instead, i talk about nazi crimes.

I follow the same principle when people talk about the american crimes in Guantanamo: there arent american crimes in Guantanamo but american military crimes...

Wecant blame all by the mistakes of some!

But this isn't xenophobia. Xenophobia would be if somebody said I hate all Germans because of the crimes they committed. However, saying Germans committed crimes during world war II and other times isn't fear nor is it hatred. Therefore it can't be xenophobia since saying Germans committed crimes neither expresses hatred nor fear, it simply states a fact.

Edited by King John - 13-Dec-2007 at 17:05
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 09:41
Omg...
Who comited the crimes are the nazis not the Germans.
Nobody can blame the Germans for the WWII crimes, but can blame the nazis for that crimes.
And i think is xenophobia (fear from the other, and hatred also...) brand all Germans for the crimes of only a part of the Germans (and other nacionalities): the nazis (most notably the SS).
My friends... i only try make you understand that we cant blame all a people, because that is unfair to a part of that people (and a type of demonization of the same: that brings xenophobia over them; a thing that Germans experienced the next few years after 1945....) inocent of the crimes.
Is ofensive also for the Germans than fight (and died...) against the nazi regime.
Can be more easy say the Germans commited atrocious crimes against Humanity but isnt true: the Nazis commited atrocious crimes against the Humanity, because more people of others european (and dont only Germans...) countries gave a great help to the nazis (namely joining or actively helping the SS) in the arrest, torture and death of the enemies of the nazi regime.
There are nazis from other countries that join to the most criminal organization of all the SS, from France, Netherlands or USA.
You can understand now why i gave so much importance in clarify that the criminals are nazis and the nacionality is secondary?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 17:04
The Nazis who were arrested and tried for war crimes, what nation did they come from? Germany. Making them Germans, therefore one can talk about German crimes. Germans allowed the Nazis to come to power. By the way you should go back and read my other posts where I blame more than just Germans. In fact I blame all who were complicit with the Nazis. Could you please explain how discussing the crimes engineered by the upper echelon of the Nazi party (all of whom were German) promotes xenophobia (hatred or fear) toward Germans?
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 19:40

The Nazis who were arrested and tried for war crimes, what nation did they come from? Germany. Making them Germans, therefore one can talk about German crimes. Germans allowed the Nazis to come to power. By the way you should go back and read my other posts where I blame more than just Germans. In fact I blame all who were complicit with the Nazis. Could you please explain how discussing the crimes engineered by the upper echelon of the Nazi party (all of whom were German) promotes xenophobia (hatred or fear) toward Germans?

When you say german crimes instead of nazi crimes, when you are talking about some of the most horrendous crimes in History, is an ofense for all the good Germans that fought (acordingly with their capacities) against Hitler and his minions, and is identifiyng all german nation as criminal, to me this is the most despikable kind of xenophobia: the demonization of all a people... 

Try to see this way King John: you certainly consider a crime the abuse over prisioners in Abu Ghraib, you think we should talk about american crimes or american soldiers crimes; one of the statements implies all of a nation (that deserve my respect and esteem) another only the true criminals: some soldiers and oficials of the american army.
You understand now what im trying to say?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 21:08
Originally posted by Garvm

When you say german crimes instead of nazi crimes, when you are talking about some of the most horrendous crimes in History, is an ofense for all the good Germans that fought (acordingly with their capacities) against Hitler and his minions, and is identifiyng all german nation as criminal, to me this is the most despikable kind of xenophobia: the demonization of all a people...

Try to see this way King John: you certainly consider a crime the abuse over prisioners in Abu Ghraib, you think we should talk about american crimes or american soldiers crimes; one of the statements implies all of a nation (that deserve my respect and esteem) another only the true criminals:some soldiers and oficials of the american army.

You understand now what im trying to say?

Yes I understand what you are trying to say. But you are missing my point. Discussing the crimes of soldiers/government of a country is not the same as xenophobia nor is it demonization. The fact that the American army is made up of Americans allows one to talk about American crimes when discussing crimes committed by the american army.

Will you answer the question that I posed to you? I will repeat it: Why does the discussion of Nazi crimes preclude a discussion of German crimes if the crimes were committed by Germans and for Germany (in some cases)? Countries are capable of committing crimes for instance state sponsored genocide would be a crime that a country commits. No one has demonized the Germans of today for the actions of the Nazis, people might have demonized the Germans living in Nazi Germany but again that's not xenophobia.
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 21:26
King John crimes are, sometimes, commited by a country, but not for all citizens of that country.
And, in my opinion, we should identify clearly who commited the crime, and not say that the crime is a german crime, or an american crime, or a russian crime..., but a crime comited by nazis, soldiers, state, robbers, drug dealers, by the american John Doe or by the frenchman Jacques Bonhomme, for example, because identify crimes as something natural of a whole nation is indeed xenophoby...
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 03:20

(all of whom were German)
Well, technically the highest of the nazi's was not in fact german.

Couldn't resist nitpicking.

Edited by Justinian - 14-Dec-2007 at 03:20
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 09:01

Thank you Justinian. There it is. The Germans are not guilty. Hitler was Austrian. So it is all the fault of the Austrians.

Just a joke! And unfortunatel the Austrians are/were Germans. They didn't belong to the German Federation (Deutscher Bund) after 1866 and to the 2nd Reich but that had nothing to do with their ethnicity. After WWII they created a national feeling as Austrians, because they didn't want to be punished like the Germans in the territory of the 3rd Reich.

I think it would be a great idea to say the Nazis did all these crimes and not the Germans. But unfortunately the most of them were Germans. So I don't have a problem if you say the Germans did it. This is the cause why I did not like the term Nazi-Germany. They didn't come from Mars or somewhere else. They were elected from a lot of my fellow-citizens, probably (I can't ask them anymore) not from my grandparents, but surely from enough of my other relatives. But the killing was not a pure German phenomenon. There were so many Governments that worked together with the Nazi-Regime (France, Argentina, Finland or Norway, Greece for a short time). There were so many states and people that dealed with Germany (Sweden, Switzerland e.g.; or think of the Bush family. If I rember correct, the grandfather of G.W. made his fortune with Hitler). There were so many supporters of the Nazis abroad (in England, USA e.g.)There were so many Europeans who fought in the SS and there were so many foreigners who served in the concentration camps, there were even an over-average of Austrian and from the Baltic states e.g.

We have to discover now, why all these people and states did this, how could this happen, not because we want to blame somebody but because we have to prevent, that such things will happen again.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 18:06
As a matter of fact, not all the Nazis committed crimes, so talking about 'Nazi crimes' is as objectionable (if it is objectionable) as talking about 'German crimes'. Moreover not all the crimes committed by Germans in WWII were committed by Nazis.

The only way out of the problem would be always to speak only of specific crimes, like the slaughter of the Jews in the death camps, or the massacre at Katyn, or the machine-gunning of civilian refugees.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 19:37
Originally posted by gcle2003

or the massacre at Katyn,

Katyn was comitted by Soviets, not Germans
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 12:54
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by gcle2003

or the massacre at Katyn,

Katyn was comitted by Soviets, not Germans

I know. So?

Was it a Russian crime? A Soviet crime? Given the makeup of the Soviet Union it could have involved people from lots of different nationalities.

I don't think the Germans were the only people to machine-gun civilian refugees, either.

That's my point. You don't get out of this particular problem except by specifically identifying the crimes and the criminals.

Edited by gcle2003 - 22-Dec-2007 at 12:56
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 13:45
Interesting how some would like to perpetuate guilt as a form of Mass Hysteria and forget that in their advocacy they are simply reasserting a phenomenon known as the blood libel: X1 killed Y1 therefore all other Xs are responsible for the action and merit continued condemnation at the hands of the rest of the alphabet. Shades of a Corsican vendetta writ large! If you must blame anyone, blame all of those 19th century thinkers that thought to rationalize life on scientific terms and created scientism. But, such is the negative aspect of the urge to classify and bring order to perceived chaos. Hard to believe the incessant desire to generate bogey men.
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 14:23
Originally posted by longshanks31

on the first day god created britain, he saw that it was good.
The rest was an afterthought

On the first day god created a land mass, farted on it, and made Britan.
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 14:48
Wow, thread necromancy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>