Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Expansionist States of Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expansionist States of Today
    Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 00:20

I was wondering, almost all of the world's powers today aren't concerned with territorial acquisitions at all. It seems the age of conquest is over. However, there are still expansionist states in the world today. I think Morroco is one, having annexed Western Sahara, Armenia is another, having taken territory from Azerbaijan in 1994, and from what i've read aparently they wish to take territory from Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Syria as well, although the party in control right now has denounced expansionist intentions.

I'm thinking mainly of the balkans when i ask this, but which nations of today have expansionist policies?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 00:40
Argentina Tongue
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 01:10
Originally posted by kurt

Armenia is another, having taken territory from Azerbaijan in 1994,

Its been said many times on this forum that the Karabagh war was between the Azeri state and Karabagh Armenians, not against the Armenian army. Karabagh was an autonomous region within the Azerbaijan SSR, and it declared its independence from the Soviet Union through a democratic vote and it never formed part of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan invaded the region and got beat by a numerically and technologically inferior force. But we shouldn't get into this since theres already a thread about this somewhere in the modern history section (but its important to correct the false premise of your post).

Originally posted by kurt

and from what i've read aparently they wish to take territory from Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Syria as well, although the party in control right now has denounced expansionist intentions

So if the party in power has denounced expansionist intentions, on what basis do you brand them as expansionist?

Armenia wants to annex lands from Syria? How did you manage to include Syria? They have nothing to do with anything.

Kurt, I must ask, where did you get this information? Confused
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 01:20
     As for expansionist countries, I think some obvious ones are the U.S., Israel, Turkey and Russia.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 02:33
China and Vatican.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 02:38
Originally posted by axeman

Vatican.

WinkLOL

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 04:05
India has designs on all its neighbours, Pakistan feels Afghanistan and Central Asia is its backyard, Iran may soon feel the same about The Mid East, while Israel it seems will not rest until it has annexed all the territory from the Nile to the Euphrates.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 04:50
As far as physical expansionism goes:

- UAE with its claims on Iran's Persian Gulf islands (abu Mussa and Greater and Lesser tunbs) which were obtained in exchange, fair and square for Bahrain with Britain in 1971, the same year UAE was created.

- ISrael and its wholly illegal occupations and settlements.

- Argetina with its flawed claim on the Falklands, as mentioned.

- Morocco, as mentioned.

- Turkey? If it has designs on Northern Iraq?

- Iran in Southern Iraq?

- Pakistan, messing around with Afghanistan?

- And let's not forget, the worst offender, America - invading Afghanistan and Iraq under false pretences and building permanent and huge bases in both - such as a five km x 90m military runway in N. Iraq - to fight insurgents? lol.  Also with its ambition of completely surrounding and disintegrating Russia and Iran for material gain.

Edited by Zagros - 23-Jun-2007 at 04:57
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 06:02
Originally posted by Zagros

Turkey? If it has designs on Northern Iraq?

That might happen soon enough, but don't forget northern Cyprus.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 06:27
You fogot India Zagros. In Nepal, bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 06:45
That might happen soon enough, but don't forget northern Cyprus.
Standart armenian approach?

Turkey is not expansionist for now..

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by Mortaza

Standart armenian approach?

Turkey is not expansionist for now..

What does me being Armenian have to do with anything... Are you saying the Turkish military doesn't have tens of thousands of troops stationed in Cyprus?

Do you also deny that Turkey has thousands of troops across the border from Iraqi Kurdistan, ready to invade when the time is right?

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 15:53
China in Tibet

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 18:26

I am not familiar with India's geopolitics and had never generally seen it as an aggressive nation, but I iwll probably revise that stance in due course.

Britain - the happy-go-lucky opportunist.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 00:07
with india, like the PRC in non Han area's, there is territory that probably doesn't really fit in to the broader "Indian" nation.  generally Sikkim and most While Ladakh is culturally a part of Tibet.

I'll throw in Ethiopia in this mix, it occupation of parts of Somalia is just an extension of its occupation of the Ogaden.

Sudan on Chad and CAR.

Georgia in Sth Ossetia

Nth ossetia in ingush

Edited by Leonidas - 24-Jun-2007 at 00:08
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 06:10
I guess a better question would be which countries are not expansionist.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 07:41
 What does me being Armenian have to do with anything... Are you saying the Turkish military doesn't have tens of thousands of troops stationed in Cyprus?

Like greece. Should I remind you close relation within ROA and Karabag? I think no need to double standard.

Do you also deny that Turkey has thousands of troops across the border from Iraqi Kurdistan, ready to invade when the time is right?

I am sure you know difference between PKK and north iraq.

I am also sure you know difference between karabag(even I accept your karabag ideas.) and occupied azeri lands..

I dont care If you call Turkey as expansionist but I dont like double standarts.. It is funny you protect ROA and accuse Turkey..

Some people have expansionist ideas at north iraq but elected goverment has no interest with occupying north iraq..

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 08:25

Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

I guess a better question would be which countries are not expansionist.

Most.
bgturk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bgturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 08:34
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Its been said many times on this forum that the Karabagh war was between the Azeri state and Karabagh Armenians, not against the Armenian army. Karabagh was an autonomous region within the Azerbaijan SSR, and it declared its independence from the Soviet Union through a democratic vote and it never formed part of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan invaded the region and got beat by a numerically and technologically inferior force.

The secetionists in Karabakh can ask for whatever they like, but the fact of the matter is that the Soviets never recognized Karabakh as an independent state, and that is why the international community continues to consider it  an integral part of the sovereign Azeri state which Armenian forces continues to occupy illegally despite numerous UN resolutions. The Armenian regime back then actively aided the secetionist insurgents in Karabakh and participated in the ethnic cleansing of the region from its indigenous Azeri population.

Edited by bgturk - 24-Jun-2007 at 08:38
Desperado View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 09:03

In the classical meaning of "expansionist" - connected to the territorial possessions of a country - neither Turkey or Russian federation could be described as such. How could be an exspansionist country that only loses territory in the last 100 years? Just take a look at the historical maps - Russia reached it's territorial zenith in 1914, Turkey a few centuries earlier. Now both are in their most compact forms since ages.
Japan was a clear example for an expansionist country before 1945, Germany before 1914. Well, currently there're no countries with comparable characteristics. Probably Argentina was such before the Falkland war, closest example in the near future could be Albania (but for now she's expanding only demographically). USA is a more complex case. A country with a short colonial past and a great neocolonial present.

Edited by Desperado - 24-Jun-2007 at 09:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>