Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple wives often misunderstood, Musli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple wives often misunderstood, Musli
    Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 16:32
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070603/FOSTERS01/106030272

I found this article and by my cultural standards and upbring polygamy is wrong and not acceptable. Some off shoots of the Mormons have tried it and faced the consequences of the law. I believe that immigrants who come here should realize and accept the standards and morals that are in the country they are migrating to. When I was in Turkey I realized where I was and had a respect for their laws and culture, Mexico also. I have been to many countries. I believed the penalty the Mormon sect faced was just but the Muslims who come here need to realize if they commit polygamy they are breaking our laws and could face the consequences of their actions. I realize that the main stream Mormon church opposes polygamy. Many Muslims I have talked to really prefer one wife, one is enough!! lol!!

June 4, 2007
New Hampshire Muslim leader: Polygamy is not so bad, and hey, fewer than 20,000 Muslims in America practice it
Sharia Alert from New Hampshire: polygamy is, like all of Islam, just great and severely misunderstood. "Multiple wives often misunderstood, Muslims say," by Chloe Johnson for Foster's Online, with thanks to WriterMom:

While the practice is not legal in the United States, polygamy is accepted in some parts of the world and permitted under certain circumstances in some religions, including Islam.
Abu-Ibrahim Mohamed, a member of the Islamic Society of the Seacoast Area in Dover, said Muslims look to their faith for guidance in life, including a perspective on polygamy.

"Islam presents a unique world view and a complete way of life," he said in an e-mail to the newspaper.

Muslims look upon marriage as a scared institution and a serious commitment, he said.

Polygamy is a highly regulated contract that multiplies the vows of marriage. So it's an additional challenge for the faithful, he said.

"Many times, polygamy is looked at as man's right to legally marry more than one woman," he said. "This is a totally flawed way of looking at the matter."

He said people should consider looking at it as a woman's right to be cared for and provided for, and to have the full legal rights of a wife.

The Quran regulates polygamy, like other aspects of life, he said.

There are conditions that make polygamy permitted at times and prohibited at others, and recommended for some and not others depending on the circumstances, he said. The issue is misunderstood by many, even some Muslims.

Stereotypes also cause misunderstanding. This has led many Muslims in the United States to take a defensive or sometimes apologetic approach resulting in more inaccurate representations, he said.

Mohamed said many Muslim Americans would agree that the outlawing of polygamy is denying certain citizens their full freedom of religion.

Also, he said, many Muslim Americans "can't understand the reasons behind outlawing polygamy while tolerating other practices or affairs that are void of any legal commitments or moral values."

But legalizing polygamy does not mean conditions are appropriate for its practice, he said. Prevailing cultural norms, economic conditions, or other regulations might not make polygamy viable.

That's why it is "highly unlikely" that many Muslim Americans would practice polygamy even if it is legalized, he said.

Debra Majeed, an assistant professor in religious studies at Beloit College in Wisconsin, has conducted research on polygyny among Muslim Americans.

The practice of polygyny (a husband taking more than one wife) is limited to a minority of the global Muslim community, and less than 1 percent of the American Muslim population practices it, she said.

Taking the Pew Research Center's figure of 2.35 million Muslims in America, that's less than 23,500 polygamists in the United States.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:14
I don't understand the whole problem with it. Personally I don't think there is anything inherently wrong in polygamy, whether it be polygyny, polyandry, or group marriage. It is all up to each individual community to decide what is acceptable and what is not.

Also, this goes to what I feel about government and religion,  I plainly don't like government in my religion and I abhor the government using religion as a tool to be used for it's own devices. That being said if a community in Southern Utah would like to have multiple wives, or a Nepalese community in New York would like it's women to have multiple husbands or a group of hippies in San Fransisco would like to have a group marriage I have no problems with that since they do not operate under my personal moral code, which as far as I'm aware isn't 100% correct, no matter how much I want it to be.

Also I think that laws to this nature are hypocritical and stereotypical, since a poor inner city man can have children with several women and not support them, or a successful billionaire like Hugh Hefner can have a "harem" of girlfriends without any repercussions against them.

Personally I like the way that members of the FLDS have gotten around the law, by marrying and divorcing their wives legally, while retaining their Church marriages as plural and living and raising their kids as they would have done a hundred and fifty years ago.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:32
Mohamed said many Muslim Americans would agree that the outlawing of polygamy is denying certain citizens their full freedom of religion.

Freedom of religion is just the freedom to believe in any particular set of beliefs. It was never intended to be a permission to do acts at odds with the law or as a special permission for otherwise illegal behaviours, as it is viewed now.

If some ancient religion reappeared, would we permit them to commit human sacrifice, even if the sacrificial victims were willing? Of course not. This principle applies across the board. We would allow them to believe in their deities, build places of worship in any architectural style they desired, publish and possess their religious writings, and so on, but acts that are illegal are illegal and religion doesn't grant immunities from the law.
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:34
While you make some certainly valid and interesting point and explained yourself admirably, you either have ignored or susperseded the moral and traditonal impact on the community, that whether protected or not, by the US constitution originally, (using the USA as an example) that was the originator of the 'American experience' prior to it's independence and yet summarily carried forward even after it.

To whit" the  predominate  historical expereince of the 17th and 18th century views of England and Europe as a whole, as they related to this issue and by those in a position to impact on it's enforcement and or it's promulgation.

I agree wholeheartedly with you view on government interaction reference faith and practice of it. And i'm sure that we might both agree that what we really want is an ability to practice or not, 'right', to be protected by the government and no more.

But to deny the originating experience and the subsequent adaptation or even the systematic developement of it to include changing attitudes and mores is not sound history.

Nor do i necessarily believe you did that.

But in the case of the LDs they certainly did do this nor do they deny this. In the end it's easier i suppose to site historical and cultural as well as theological differences in general between Christainity and Islam, then the varying sects within Christainity. And yet in the end the LDS remains the SOLE denomination, historicaly recognised, with a sizable congregation to revise an earlier historical, theologicaly based, monogamous practice based on the aforementioned European experience.

Quite interesting really, as personaly I care less, because i don't purport to judge their conduct nor their mores.

Thanks.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:37
I can see where you are coming from but where would you draw the line? The line has to been drawn somewhere otherwise what is next; (???)

Head lines:
Mr Ed (the horse) marries his long time owner!!!EXTRA EXTRA read all about it!!
I mean, why not, if they love each other- get my point!! or marriage to under age girls like they do in some third world countries- 9-14?

Knowing human history-there can be no end to man's depravity. This is why we have laws and cultural standards, usually influenced by religion.

I wonder if there have been other groups besides the Muslims and Mormons who believe in more than one wife, in the U.S.A

I do not know what the studies are, but I will bet you will find a lot of emotional issues with this type of marriage arrrangement.

I also wonder, in the case of the Muslims, will such concessions make them demand sharia law for Muslims, like they have done in parts of England. Some Muslim groups, in the U.S., want it so is this a start? In some Muslim countries they can marry pre teen girls- will this be the next demand?

All of the Turks I met believed only in one wife and of course over 18 but Turkey is a modern country with standards. I am sure in remote areas of Turkey it might still go on but the standard there seemed like only one wife.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 16:18
Originally posted by Lord Ranulf

While you make some certainly valid and interesting point and explained yourself admirably, you either have ignored or susperseded the moral and traditonal impact on the community, that whether protected or not, by the US constitution originally,(using the USA as an example) that was the originator of the 'American experience' prior to it's independence and yet summarily carried forward even after it.

To whit" the predominate historical expereince of the 17th and 18th century views of England and Europe as a whole,as they related to this issue and by those in a position to impact on it's enforcement and or it's promulgation.

I agree wholeheartedly with you view on government interaction reference faith and practice of it. And i'm sure that we might both agree that what we really want is an ability to practice or not, 'right', to be protected by the government and no more.

But to deny the originating experience and the subsequent adaptation or even the systematic developement of it to include changing attitudes and mores is not sound history.

But in the case of the LDs they certainly did do thisnor do they deny this. In the end it's easier i suppose to site historical and cultural as well as theological differences in general between Christainity and Islam, then the varying sects within Christainity. And yet in the end the LDS remains the SOLE denomination, historicaly recognised, with a sizable congregation to revise an earlier historical,theologicaly based, monogamous practice based on the aforementioned European experience.

Quite interesting really, as personaly I care less, because i don't purport to judge their conduct nor their mores.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if polygamy were illegal or not in the 17th century in America. But if it were illegal, then the practice would have been banned, regardless of religious affiliation. Religion was not regarded as an exemption from secular law in the 17th century; freedom of religion meant freedom of belief, not a license or special privelege to be above the law in some respect. Today, it is different; everyone wants to be special and exempt from the rules, and the lawmakers cater to that demand.

The issue simply never came up. The law was based on English law and English law was in turn based on an admixture of Roman laws, Christian mores, peculiarities of English culture, and so forth. There never was a conflict between the practices of any of the major religions of the time, and the law.

Mormonism was certainly at odds with the mores (and probably the laws) of the US in the 19th century; but in the case of Mormonism, the law had not yet truly reached that part of the country! So there was no real conflict.

Edited by edgewaters - 06-Jun-2007 at 16:25
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 17:19
Originally posted by edgewaters

While you make some certainly valid and interesting point and explained yourself admirably, you either have ignored or susperseded the moral and traditonal impact on the community, that whether protected or not, by the US constitution originally, (using the USA as an example) that was the originator of the 'American experience' prior to it's independence and yet summarily carried forward even after it.

To whit" the  predominate  historical expereince of the 17th and 18th century views of England and Europe as a whole, as they related to this issue and by those in a position to impact on it's enforcement and or it's promulgation.

But in the case of the LDs they certainly did do this nor do they deny this. In the end it's easier i suppose to site historical and cultural as well as theological differences in general between Christainity and Islam, then the varying sects within Christainity. And yet in the end the LDS remains the SOLE denomination, historicaly recognised, with a sizable congregation to revise an earlier historical, theologicaly based, monogamous practice based on the aforementioned European experience.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if polygamy were illegal or not in the 17th century in America. But if it were illegal, then the practice would have been banned, regardless of religious affiliation. Religion was not regarded as an exemption from secular law in the 17th century; freedom of religion meant freedom of belief, not a license or special privelege to be above the law in some respect. Today, it is different; everyone wants to be special and exempt from the rules, and the lawmakers cater to that demand.

The issue simply never came up. The law was based on English law and English law was in turn based on an admixture of Roman laws, Christian mores, peculiarities of English culture, and so forth. There never was a conflict between the practices of any of the major religions of the time, and the law.

Mormonism was certainly at odds with the mores (and probably the laws) of the US in the 19th century; but in the case of Mormonism, the law had not yet truly reached that part of the country! So there was no real conflict.

Certainly it was morally ie. religiously illegal; by the initial occupiers, founders and settlers of the New World and  in the common and  royal law of the varying states that were inclusive to include France, Spain, England and Holland intended and based initaly on Catholic dogma. But you again raise some interesting points. The difference for example between a 'common law wife' and that of marriage,  in the church in England for example was allowed and yet viewed as scandolous. And to a greater or lesser degree involved property rights and inheritances as much as morality...altho there was darn little of that for women. Mostly morality as influenced on lawmakers by the theologians.

OTOH no one will deny the age old practice of mistress' and adultery ramapant in European society and it arrived cheerfully and exubertantly here in America and Canada and Mexico, being in turned recieved harshly in some places, at certain times as the power of the church waxed or waned, compared to others, till time passed.

But in the case of the LDS/Utah experience you state thus: "but in the case of Mormonism, the law had not yet truly reached that part of the country! So there was no real conflict."

And i must beg to differ simply because as a result of the designation of the area of Utah as a United States territory it most certainly did fall under the purview of recognised federal authority and regulation. And as such even though there never has been a federal mongamy law under the constitution; it's that same docuement's 10th amendment, ("The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.") that provided the basis for individual states and territories to apply the sam ban as they still do today, if they so desired. 

Altho to be fair that was in part challengeable under the 9th amendment if one would care to examine the possible contradictions. ("The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.") Co-incedently it's this amendment that you will find it court ref. the 'gay marriage' state law controversy.

As a matter of fact the event that would ultimately go done in history as 'Buchanan's blunder' was as much a fear of  violating tradtional mores, of the day, and potential  establishment of theocracies and commensurate monogamy laws, in other regions, in the 19th cen as provide by the 10th Amendment, as anything else.

Fascinating story. And to be honest i don't believe we are really arguing  more so perhaps  interpolating customs of the times from hindsight, which is fine. Tongue

You might enjoy the following as it provides greater detail and analysis ref. the LDS. And in particular pay attention to Book 6 Chps. 11-18, for therein, lay the legal basis determined for the percieved necessary action of the time and the subsequent results which was merely for the practice to essentially go underground.Wink 

Thanks i've enjoyed contributing.Clap

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 06-Jun-2007 at 17:25
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 17:46

Head lines:
Mr Ed (the horse) marries his long time owner!!!EXTRA EXTRA read all about it!!
I mean, why not, if they love each other- get my point!! or marriage to under age girls like they do in some third world countries- 9-14?

Knowing human history-there can be no end to man's depravity. This is why we have laws and cultural standards, usually influenced by religion.

The standards of the community should dictate what laws should be created for that community.

For example if I was having sexual relations with a fifteen year old in America, I would be considered a pedophile and would be in jail. Whereas in a place like say the Netherlands there would be no legal ramifications and if say in 3 years we were married, I doubt there would be much talk about our "illicit past".

Again, different cultures, different values...or do you suppose that the American moral system is the correct system for the world?

I wonder if there have been other groups besides the Muslims and Mormons who believe in more than one wife, in the U.S.A

Depending on your definition of wife...

Thus, although polygamy and polyamory are often treated by outsiders as similar concepts, the two groups are based on very different philosophies and ideals, and little interaction occurs between self-described "polygamists" and "polyamorists".[8] Instead, polyamory is more closely associated with values, subcultures and ideologies that favor individual freedoms and equality in sexual matters most notably, Anarchism, Libertarianism, Neo-Pagans,[9], Sexual Freedom Advocates,[citation needed] and Raelism.

SOURCE.

I do not know what the studies are, but I will bet you will find a lot of emotional issues with this type of marriage arrrangement.

Because of course monogamous relationships are entirely devoid of emotional issues....

Actually you could argue that polygamy, would be less stressful, since a woman could be more independent if she didn't have to worry about taking care of kids all the time, didn't have to worry about keeping a house or worry about money as much if all the wives have a job.

In some Muslim countries they can marry pre teen girls- will this be the next demand?

Actually they could marry pre-teen girls under US law (not legal marriage) as long as they didn't have sex with them.

If you look into the history of Mormons and that of Utah, you would learn that the Mormon settlers acted as if their territories were a sovereign entity and in fact, they fought a short-lived rebellion against the Federal government in order to maintain their independence so you could say that them practicing polygamy was a form of civil disobedience on the part of some as they believed they were occupied by the US government.

The fact that the mainline LDS church changed doctrine in order for Utah to be admitted as a state doesn't mean that the morals of that region instantly changed.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 18:25
 JR posted: Actually they could marry pre-teen girls under US law (not legal marriage) as long as they didn't have sex with them.

You might want to qualify that as having been a  religious custom or interpretation of 'marriage within theological terms' at one time. No longer--- either by  religious custom or any other nor by statute law.

But in that we must assume that violators (perhaps the wrong word) or better said rejectionists are not  a significant  majority or part of the body politic. And generaly are found among revisionist ( i don't necessarily like to use the word 'cultists') theologies and practices vs. the traditonaly associated and accepted ones. And finally i concur 100%. Cultures, mores, and values are not synonmous no matter the location or time period. They fluctuate, change and assimilate as the needs of those involved determine.

thanks
Lord Ranulf

ps. pardon the bold my board just went wacko for some reason.

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 06-Jun-2007 at 18:31
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 19:41

The difference for example between a 'common law wife' and that of marriage, in the church in England for example was allowed and yet viewed as scandolous. And to a greater or lesser degree involved property rights and inheritancesas much as morality...altho there was darn little of that for women. Mostly morality as influenced on lawmakers by the theologians.

Well, common law marriage was a simple response to conditions England found itself in and certainly wasn't viewed as scandalous under the conditions for which it was originally intended. Some parts of Wales and Ireland - which the English were attempting to settle - were very remote, and there were no clergy available for decades at a time in some cases. Or, in Ireland, there were clergy available, but they were Catholic.

English Common Law is partially informed by Christianity of course - but partially not. Much of it is based in mores and traditions of the folk culture which predated Christianity - it is partially based both in Roman law and Germanic law codes, traditions which had either become customary to the folk or were preserved in text.

Common law was actually established in violent opposition to the church - you are familiar with Thomas Becket? And the strange popular folk tales which arose in connection with him, that he could not stand English water, made the birds in one town flee because they disturbed him, cursed another town to be born with tails because they supported their king against him? He seems to have been universally unpopular. And yet Henry II went down as one of England's more popular medieval monarchs. Christianity was not as popular or as inviolable in England during the medieval period as it was in, say, Italy or France. Chaucer got popular with the English, precisely by mocking the church and characterizing the clergy variously as fools, thieves, beggars, tramps, sadists, and overlords.

Also much of English law is simply practical to the conditions, and has little to do with either religion or tradition. Such is the case with common law marriage.

And i must beg to differ simply because as a result of the designation of the area of Utah as a United States territory it most certainly did fall under the purview of recognised federal authority and regulation.

Only in theory. It was not enforceable, and therefore, in practical terms, could not come into conflict. A case has to be brought up before there can be a conflict. The application of law in the West during its early settlement had little to do with the letter of the law.

Edited by edgewaters - 06-Jun-2007 at 19:52
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 21:28
Well, common law marriage was a simple response to conditions England found itself in and certainly wasn't viewed as scandalous under the conditions for which it was originally intended. Some parts of Wales and Ireland - which the English were attempting to settle - were very remote, and there were no clergy available for decades at a time in some cases. Or, in Ireland, there were clergy available, but they were Catholic.

English Common Law is partially informed by Christianity of course - but partially not. Much of it is based in mores and traditions of the folk culture which predated Christianity - it is partially based both in Roman law and Germanic law codes, traditions which had either become customary to the folk or were preserved in text.

Common law was actually established in violent opposition to the church - you are familiar with Thomas Becket? And the strange popular folk tales which arose in connection with him, that he could not stand English water, made the birds in one town flee because they disturbed him, cursed another town to be born with tails because they supported their king against him? He seems to have been universally unpopular. And yet Henry II went down as one of England's more popular medieval monarchs. Christianity was not as popular or as inviolable in England during the medieval period as it was in, say, Italy or France. Chaucer got popular with the English, precisely by mocking the church and characterizing the clergy variously as fools, thieves, beggars, tramps, sadists, and overlords.

Also much of English law is simply practical to the conditions, and has little to do with either religion or tradition. Such is the case with common law marriage.

Lord Ranulf: I certainly have no problem with that interpretation and it was informative and based on good historical analysis. Excellent work.

Only in theory. It was not enforceable, and therefore, in practical terms, could not come into conflict. A case has to be brought up before there can be a conflict. The application of law in the West during its early settlement had little to do with the letter of the law.

Lord Ranulf: here i believe you in error and only possibly thru a lack of information/interpretation of US code then and now. It most certainly was applicable and in order to gain territorial status the people had to vote to accept it as a pre-conditon; and the officers of the territory, to include B Young, (1st Terr. Govenor appointed) swore an oath to uphold and support any and all Federal law, code and jurisprudence/precedence. And in additon the US Senate had to approve the petition for territorial status and then vote to recognize it. Based on the aforementioned pre-conditions to include the territorial constitution which could not be in variance with federal law. 

This didn't just require their compliance: it mandated it.  And contrary to your claim, it was indeed enforcable thru the US Marshals and other agents of the Territorial administration and the Federal government who had prescence and or authority to be in the terr. to include the US Army.

For unlike 'state governments' these were 'federal officers and officals'  appointed  by and held directly accountable to the President and or his duly authorized cabinent officials.

And in effect, higher in authority then their contemporary state counterparts. And the very fact that Federal Marshals were not allowed to do their duties in addition to other agents (primarily Interior dept personnel assigned to negotiate with native Americans) because of LDS intrangence,  and conflicts of interest, (the LDS  envisioning itself as a 'theocratic state within a state' so to speak) came directly into contact and conflict with the Fed.

Leading to a state of insurrection being proclaimed and the advancement of Federal troops to quash the same. Ie. the vaunted 'Mormon War'. Not only was blood spilled but the LDS itself narrowly avoided annihalation  and or mass arrests and imprisonments by the forces under the command of AS Johnson and the 2nd Dragoons and others. Altho it would have been interesting from a logistical/tactical  perspective as the federal force was stretched thin to even get there. No railroads at the time.  Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and we arrived at the points discussed earlier.

As  said earlier it's a fascinating subject and was the pre-cursor if you will to the American Civil War, which incidently Lincoln used  (Mormon experience) as a pre-cursor jurisprudentially speaking, to legitmately deny secessionism in his intrepretation of the constitution and upheld by the USSC.

once again I enjoyed it.

Thanks.

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 06-Jun-2007 at 21:39
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 08:39
Why should it be illegal to have more than one wife? Even though we might personally shake our heads in incomprehension, we should also try be a bit open minded concerning other forms of marriage that might feel right for other people. I don't favour polygamy myself, but I know people who do and who have multiple wives, and they and their wives consider this form of marriage to be just as socially acceptable as monogamous marriages.

I believe we should be extremely careful before regulating the most personal and private aspects of people's lives, and unless the practice in question is harmful to society, then I don't see the problem. Consenting adults should be able to live in polygamous marriages, if this is what makes them happy.

I must say I look extremely unfavourably upon those who take their reasoning no further than to consider what is acceptable by their own moral standards, and then try to enforce this on everyone.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 12:16
And while we are at it, to confront the "Sharia law" scare mongerers here an everywhere else. What is wrong with it if muslims want marriage/ divorce/ inheritance to be regulated by their own personal religious customs? Here Hindus have their own law of personal status, and the courts enforce it as do Catholics (Anglicans usually come under muslim law) sikhs and parsees. This is the case in India as well and in Sri Lanka, and most of the middle east. And heaven has not fallen.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 12:59
Nothing wrong with Sharia law, in Muslim countries. But it's another thing altogether in Western countries. Demands by Muslim groups to be allowed to have sharia courts in the US and Canada simply goes too far. We would not demand to have Western courts in India or Sri Lanka ...

The rule of law applies here, meaning that everyone falls under the same law codes and no one is exempted or falls under a different law code. No one is above the (singular) law. People know this before they come here; if it is truly the most important thing to them, then perhaps this is not the culture for them.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 15:43
That is palpably not true edgewaters, lest take your claims one by one.

1) There would be no Sharia courts, there is no such thing as that. Each religion has its own personal code, which is enforced by the normal courts. So a Hindu and a muslim can have their cases heard and enforced by the same courts. It relates to personal or private law matters only, such as marriage/ divorce/ inheritance. These matters are mostly for the individuals to decide and the state should have little as possible involvement in them anyways (except the resolution of disputes).

2) The rule of law applies here, meaning that everyone falls under the same law codes and no one is exempted or falls under a different law code.

That is not what the rule of law means at all. The whole phrase "rule of law" was invented by the English acedemic AV Dicey. For Dicey, the concept was as follows

(1) the absolute supremacy or predominance of regular law as opposed to the influence of arbitrary power; (2) equality before the law or the equal subjection of all classes to the ordinary law of the land administered by the ordinary courts; and (3) the law of the constitution is a consequence of the rights of individuals as defined and enforced by the courts."

The equality of individuals only relates to equality within a defined class. Juveniles, invalids and the insane for instance have several rights denied them (as well as several benefits given) whether or not their capability is the same as a person from another class granted the right in issue. My 13 year old cousin can drive a car very well,  my 18 year old sister is a horrid driver, yet under the law the latter, not the former has a right to apply and get a drivers licence. Similarly women are not allowed in even to apply for combat positions in the militray of many "rule of law" countries, you pay a higher rate of taxes if you are of a higher earning class. Equality odes not mean all people are the same.

3) As for the cultural argument, well if you do claim to be multi-cultural then you have to allow such things. I know western countries have beeen traditionally usually one langage, one religion (Christianity) based, but you cannot claim to be multi-cultural on one hand, and then call for integration in the same breath.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 17:01
Originally posted by Sparten

So a Hindu and a muslim can have their cases heard and enforced by the same courts.

Not just "can". They must. At least, in Western countries. You can work it however you want in India or Pakistan - that's none of my business.

It relates to personal or private law matters only, such as marriage/ divorce/ inheritance. These matters are mostly for the individuals to decideand the state should have little as possible involvement in them anyways (except the resolution of disputes).

But that's exactly what proponents of sharia courts in Canada and the US have been proposing. They want sharia courts to handle disputes rather than the civil courts. Sorry - no deal!!! The civil courts are part of the law, and the law applies to everyone. No exemptions. It doesn't matter if it's civil courts or criminal courts - the rule of law is as binding on torts or divorces as it is on any other aspect of the law.

That is not what the rule of law means at all. The whole phrase "rule of law" was invented by the English acedemic AV Dicey. For Dicey, the concept was as follows ... the absolute supremacy or predominance of regular law as opposed to the influence of arbitrary power ... the equal subjection of all classes to the ordinary law of the land administered by the ordinary courts

That's exactly what it means, and is not in opposition to the least degree with what I said. The law is supreme, and no one is above it.

The equality of individuals only relates to equality within a defined class. Juveniles, invalids and the insane for instancehave several rights denied them (as well as several benefits given) whether or not theircapability is the same as aperson from another class granted the right in issue.

Irrelevant. They are not outside or above the law. There are specific laws regarding specific designated groups, but these groups are not exempt from the law itself, and are not governed by some other system of arbitration. The law regards some groups differently, but it is the same system of law which regards them all. To have a separate civil court system for one group would mean it is outside the civil court system for everyone else, and it would mean that the civil court system has been usurped by an alternate system of arbitration. Further, these groups are never based along ethnic lines. They are based along lines of capacity, generally - a mentally handicapped individual is exempt from contract liabilities, because he can't understand what he's signing, but you don't get an exemption because of your religious beliefs, skin colour, manner of dress, country of origin, etc etc, because this has nothing to do with your liabilities under the law.

The mentally handicapped person who signs a contract might understand very well what he's signing. The 13 year old might be able to drive very well. But most 13 year olds can't drive well and most mentally handicapped people have difficulty comprehended complex legal documents. That's the reason for those laws - it's not just "Hey, let's write a special law for this group because it's Friday and my tie is yellow!" It would be too difficult (not to mention expensive) to assess the individual cases where these laws are not applicable. Your 13 year old son may be able to drive better than your 18 year old daughter, but that's not a good enough reason to drop the legal age for driving altogether, is it?

As for the cultural argument, well if you do claim to be multi-cultural then you have to allow such things. I know western countries have beeen traditionally usually one langage, one religion (Christianity) based, but you cannot claim to be multi-cultural on one hand, and then call for integration in the same breath.

Canada invented the term multiculturalism, in 1971, with the world's first official multicultural policy - which was essentially an expansion of our earlier policy of biculturalism and bilingualism (Canada is, historically, a nation of two cultures - English and French). The term has since been exported and perverted by other Western countries and various political movements, but in our law it has a specific meaning which only vaguely resembles the strange notions that the term has picked up in common usage.

Multiculturalism was a policy of recognizing and affirming ethnic diversity as a positive thing, but always, within a framework of Canadian law and bilingualism. It meant removing barriers to employment, giving arts and cultural funding to immigrant and native groups as well as traditional English and French groups, and so on.

It was meant to deal with discrimination in terms of employment - and within the legal/justice system. Having different ethnic groups treated differently in law runs very much counter to our policy of multiculturalism, since this would be a legal distinction whereby different ethnic groups are treated differently.

Multiculturalism occurs within the framework of our existing law and Constitution, and is not in conflict with the rule of law (in fact, it is very much in tune with it).

From the text of our current Multiculturalism Act:

all Canadians, whether by birth or by choice, enjoy equal status, are entitled to the same rights, powers and privileges and are subject to the same obligations, duties and liabilities

Multiculturalism - in the original context in which it arose, here, in Canada - never meant some sort of free for all where people get exemptions from the law on the basis of their ethnicity - exemptions or different treatment for different cultures are, in fact, about as far removed from the original meaning of the term as one might possibly get. What it meant was that all citizens of any ethnic group - English, French, aboriginal or immigrant - were to be treated the same and enjoy the same access and benefits under the law, but also suffer the same penalties, have the same responsibilities, submit to the same systems of arbitration.

Refusing sharia courts doesn't mean Muslims are subject to some sort of assimilatory process. Cultural programs for Muslims are funded just as they are for English and French groups, Muslims cannot be discriminated against in employment, and mosques and churches face the same rights - and liabilities. It's simply a standardization of the law for all ethnicities. To implement different arbitration systems for different ethnicities, means tossing out the notion of standardization and runs counter to multiculturalism in the sense the term first appeared.

Multiculturalism doesn't mean, for instance, that a culture which practices euthanasia can do so here. They will be subject to the same laws as anyone else - that's what multiculturalism means. It means that you should not face stiffer penalties for the same crime because you happen to be Asian or black or something. It means that if an English person gets money from the government to do a mural depicting some facet of English culture, then an aboriginal person should be able to get funding for aboriginal art too. It means that the everyone gets treated the same - not different.

Edited by edgewaters - 07-Jun-2007 at 17:35
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 08:46
If you're a muslim or a chrisitan or  anything else and don't like the laws of a certain country or those laws confront youre religion,then don't live in this country.It is so simple.I don't like the laws in Iran for example that make women wear veils and don't allow me to kiss my girlfriend on the street so i decide not to live in this country instead of trying to change their laws.If someone doesn't like the laws in the US then he shouldn't live there instead trying to change them.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 15:49
I don't like that outlook, Jagiello. I believe that, ideally, you should be able to live both the one way or the other, in whatever country you choose. This is a pipedream of course and far from the reality, but it remains an ideal and I would never speak in favour of anything else.

As for Sharia law, I really don't see a problem with Muslims regulating marriage, divorce and inheritance affairs managed among themselves, as this is a private matter anyway. Of course, I would ask whether it's really necessary, I'd think most modern courts these days handle such matters just as well if not better than some local religious community made up of who knows who. Then again, one could argue that it should at least be an alternative for those who desire it.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 20:07
Originally posted by Reginmund

I don't like that outlook, Jagiello. I believe that, ideally, you should be able to live both the one way or the other, in whatever country you choose. This is a pipedream of course and far from the reality, but it remains an ideal and I would never speak in favour of anything else.

It's not an ideal to me. It sounds like cultural imperialism. You would need some sort of global monoculture sweeping aside all traditional cultures to achieve this, which I don't think is a good thing. Diversity in cultural values is something worth having and has value.

It's not as if there could be a neutral set of values for everyone to share. Every culture has its taboos and what one culture defines as acceptable - say, kissing on the street or having 14 wives - is not in another. To say that kissing on the street is less offensive than having 14 wives is itself a cultural value.

It's a big planet. There's room for all kinds of different sets of values, even in the legal systems. There are also different societies where some values might not work, for various reasons. Some countries allow youth to consume alcohol in limited quantity with their parents; this wouldn't work well on a native reserve, but may not be problematic in other cultures.

Edited by edgewaters - 08-Jun-2007 at 20:15
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 22:07
I'm not sure your reading what your writing edgewaters, at least twice in this thread you have strongly disagreed with someone by backing up their arguement.

And before you oppose something, you should probably find out what it is. I get the feeling your just venting randonmly. For example, sharia does not allow you to have 14 wives. It doesn't allow you to have 14 girlfriends either, which is perfectly legal in the western system.
Actually western culture has always permitted polygamy, it just never legalised it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>