Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hilarious!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilarious!
    Posted: 11-May-2007 at 21:59
You may or may not know that I am homeschooled...so when I wrote my paper on the Mongol invasion of Europe recently, my mom didn't want to grade it so she sent it off to some other consortium to be read and graded. In the meantime I sent the paper to Rider to be published.

Well, today we got the paper back. It was marked F with the words written underneath, "Plagiarized word for word from the internet." And they included a copy of my article in the All Empires magazine to prove that I had not written the paper. LOL

I tell you, I was in stitches, the thing cracked me up so much. Next week I'll give them a ring and try to explain my way out of this LOL
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 22:05
what is that consortium?
I am a free donkey!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 01:01
I'm sure one of the editors or myself can be contacted by them if hat will help. PM me if you need an address for them to contact. 
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 01:02
Seko or Dawn could send a confirmation, both to your Mom and this consortium.Thumbs%20Up

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 01:07
That is SO funny! LOL!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 01:33
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
HAHAHA! Now that's funny!
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 01:43
Gosh Timotheus, if you must plagiarize, at least have the decency to refrain from plagiarizing a plagiarist's work.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 12-May-2007 at 01:44
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 01:46
Now thats a darn shame.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 02:28
k, handle these in order...

The consortium is a homeschool association by the name of The Sycamore Tree.

I'm going to call them first business day I get a chance and explain it to them -- if they are reluctant to believe it, I'll try to put them in contact with Rider because he's the one who I've submitted all my work to. They're reasonable folks by all I've heard, so I think it will work - if not, I'll have another laugh and forget about it.

My mom has no doubt of my integrity in this matter since she saw me working at that thing for two months more or less straight LOL

It will be a shame if it doesn't get all worked out in the end, but it won't be too bad because it isn't anything for credit; this was just to have some outside input on my paper. The merriment I've gotten out of this has so far outweighed all the annoyance. Even if it doesn't stay that way, I'll have a smashing story out of it to tell to posterity, so I'm not entirely displeased.

I have to put one more of these in LOL
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 11:01
It's a good thing you know your teacher so well... Wink

Maybe you should just print this thread or give reference to the consortium... 
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 14:41
Yes, give them my address if that is required. I am willing to state for example the email dates on which you sent the article to me and when it was published if necessary but I believe my word is enough.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 15:06
that is hilarious. The guys can help you there, but also, since the article at AE is posted under your name, connecting your AE ID with your real name is easy to find. Either in the "introduce yourself" thread or simply this thread.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 04:55
Emailing someone you tell them may not work, because you have no proof they have anything to do with the magazine and are not just a friend of yours pretending.

We can change the credit on the article to include your real name as well, (temporarily if you like) before you contact the homeschool association. Or we can include a little note at the bottom of the article to the homeschool association explaining roughly what you said in your 1st post.

Edited by Paul - 16-May-2007 at 05:19
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 16:15

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is this"homeschool" thing?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 06:29
So what happened?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 06:31
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is this"homeschool" thing?

Home schooling, Aster, is where rather than going to an actual school, you are tutored at home by a parent or tutor. It is legitimate, and some people do it.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 13:30
Sparten, I believe it happened as we foresaw it:

The person from that place emailed me and asked who the author of the text was and I replied to him.
Mr. K. View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mr. K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 20:23

Copying your own work? That's a serious offense.

The man who is blind, deaf, and silent lives in peace for 100 years.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 13:43
I know. You have failed to correctly cite your souce, which itself does not cite sources.... it's an infinite loop of FAIL! tongue

Edited by Zaitsev - 11-Oct-2007 at 13:43
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 06:27

Highly amusing...

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>