Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

greatest Turkish Tribe/Kingdom??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is the greatest Turkish Nomad Tribe/Kingdom??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.13%]
1 [2.56%]
1 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [23.08%]
6 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.69%]
12 [30.77%]
3 [7.69%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: greatest Turkish Tribe/Kingdom??
    Posted: 11-May-2007 at 07:57
Turks have many tribes and Kingdoms.. So, what's the greatest in your opinion??
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 09:17

Please note that many historians do not consider the Scythians and Alanians to have been "Turkish."  However, many members of this particular forum do believe this to have been the case, which is why you see them on the list.  Personally, I wouldn't include them on the list.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 10:23
I do not consider the Mongols to be Turks (I'm sure that will annoy plenty of you).

I voted for the Khazars (I would have gone Ottomans but decided not to include them in the list). The Khazars more than any other created a durable, powerful state with a decent economy. They successfully resisted the attacks of the Caliphate, took up organised religion and gained pre-eminent recognition from the Byzantines.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 11:05
(Tokharians were Indo-european people not Turkic) I vote for Seljuks.

Edited by sirius99 - 11-May-2007 at 11:05
Anfører
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 05:42
Tokharians were Turkish!!!

Mongols, Scythians and Alans were/are not, Mongols are closer, and Scythians could have been the ancestors of many nations, as well as Huns.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 11:00
tokharians , scythians and alans are Iranic peoples. But in effectiveness and impact I will choose huns. But in stability and durability my choice is Khazars. 
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 11:38
oghuz tribe because seljuks and ottomans are oghuz descendants.

Edited by the_oz - 15-May-2007 at 14:02
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 12:26
I voted Huns, since their empires covered largest aria. And they ruled the steppe for a very long time, though not consistent. Time range approximately  from 2500BC(mentioned in chinese record) to at least 469AD( europian hunnic empire) .
For Gods sake, why Mongol? they are not Turkish, they speak Altay lang. system, but does not belong to Turkish lang. family. Ok their army consisted of certain ratio of turkish tribes, but its still mongol empire, not turkish.

As for Tokharians and Scythians, i would say its not clear enough to say whether they are Hunnic-turkic stock or not...

Edited by oghuzkb - 15-May-2007 at 12:31
ALLAH gave us two books---Quran and Nature.        ---Jamaliddin Efghany
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 15:27
who voted khazaria hehe

i can't vote to hard

I personally think the oguzes are getting to much credit compared with the kypchaks and northern turks
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 07:36
I believe that they began walking long long before they had names. The fact that I feel a brotherhood feeling with an Ainu in Japan or a Native American, the fact that I even feel respect for Uluru of Katja Tuta (The Great and Lot of Heads), the fact that Inana the blond godess makes me smile, the fact that every theory proves that common people always try to hold on their language, the fact that I could be able to talk to so many people today, in this world, only makes me dreamy. And happy. 
Yes this is a piece of puzzle to big to dig it simply like a disturbing afterthought.
I should say they are all, pieces missing on a puzzle glued to be a picture with to many holes, like a tissue eated by mites (or shoud I write myths). 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 08:34
Alans were Iranic and the Tokharians were İndo-European.

Mongols are not Turkic,but their empire was half-turkic.
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 00:50

The Alans were not a turkic people. They are speakers of an Iranic language and settled in the Caucasus during the late-classical and early-medieval period. They were a dominant people in the area for many centuries and even allied with, and submitted to Khazaria; so I can see why some would think they are Turkic.

The Tocharians were Indo-European, also. Do you have any sources that say otherwise?

And the Scythians have been argued over so many times here. If they can't have been proven to speak an Iranic language that doesn't mean that they speak Turkish.

I vote for the Oghuz, by the way. They were the most influencial turkic people of the bunch.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 07:16
I vote Others for Oghuz.

Because, Oghuzes (Kınık) first created Seljuks, then (Kayı) created Ottomans.... Do I need more explanation?
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 12:42
Same here. I cannot think of a tribe that has more impact than Oghuz turks especially the impact of their immigration to South Western Asia.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 14:43
^yeah they had the most impact i'm not going to argue with you on that but the other tribes deserve some credit and i don't think they're getting it.

never the less the oghuzes r the most know of them all for the accmplishments
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 19:49
It depends what is the criteria of "greatest" or "success.

The Oghuz Turks tracing historical descendancy to "Oghuz Khan" like other Turks. They founded the Oghuz Yagbu, Seljuk, Ottoman, Kara/Akkoyunlu, Atabeks, Safavids, Afsharids and have had a huge impact on Central Asia/Near East/Middle East and even North Africa and Europe over the last one and a half millenia.

However, the Xiognu/Huns in my opinion also were very important, they were a semi-nomadic state, the first Turkic group to have towns and cities, they had an organised state and the first formal army split into decimal units and used millitary bands.

Also the Uyghurs have been among the most sucessfull and advanced Turks, they made lots of discoveries and gave importance to the arts alot more. They have the oldest cities among Turks, ancient resevoir systems, compteted with the Chinease in advancements, founded large states. The Karakhanids wrote some of the first epic Turkic literature on paper and developed the language. Uyghur had alot of influence on most Turks.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 13:09
If i'm not mistaken not all atabeylik were oghuz
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 16:50
uighurs.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 17:24
the founders of Gok turuk empire wherent Oghuz also iirc, the ashina clan i mean.

they mainly caused the movement of the Oguz people.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 04:42

the oghuz, then the uighurs, then the mongols. i can't see how you would forget to mention the oghuz in your list.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>