Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Woman Denied Teaching Degree Over My Space Pic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woman Denied Teaching Degree Over My Space Pic
    Posted: 08-May-2007 at 16:56
I haven't seen this mentioned on AE, but it's been newsworthy here for about a week.  I have my feelings about this, but I'll save them until a few folks tell me theirs.

Woman who lost teaching degree over MySpace photo sues university

The Associated Press

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. A woman denied a teaching degree on the eve of graduation because of a MySpace photo has sued the university.

Millersville University instead granted Stacy Snyder a degree in English last year after learning of her Web-published picture, which bore the caption "Drunken Pirate."

"I dreamed about being a teacher for a long time," said Snyder, 27, who now works as a nanny.

The photo, taken at a 2005 Halloween party, shows Snyder wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic "Mr. Goodbar" cup. It was posted on her own MySpace site.

Although Snyder apologized, she learned the day before graduation that she would not be awarded an education degree or teaching certificate.

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

The federal lawsuit seeks at least $75,000 in damages. Millersville spokeswoman Janet Kacskos referred questions to a state System of Higher Education spokesman, who declined comment.

Copyright 2007 The Seattle Times Company

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 17:00
What isn't in this article is the story about the school district where she did her stu. teaching.  They informed the Uni about this and told them if they did not punish this woman they would no longer accept student teachers from Millersville.  On that my feeling would be, fine there are hundreds of school districts that wouldn't care about this.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 17:12
http://mycrimespace.com/tag/millersville-university

wow, that pic is hardly 'bad' heh.

Edited by Ovidius - 08-May-2007 at 17:13
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 17:12
Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

Considering the woman is 27, I don't see how taking a picture of herself drinking can be considered "promoting underage drinking". I think that sums up the absurdity of the school district and university, as its a completely baseless lawsuit.

Maybe someone should start asking why employees in the school district are surfing the net for myspace pictures....
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 18:30
r they serious?
http://www.hoplites.net/
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 18:37
Seems to be, what utter nonsense.  Is having fun now a taboo?
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 18:54
As much sympathy as I feel for her, she should have known. The colleges are not secretive about this and openly state that promiscuous or suggestive pics/comments on the internet that are traceable to you are not allowed. If you are going for a teaching degree or as a teacher, you cannot befriend students on myspace or facebook OR place suggestive pics on them.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 19:02
Originally posted by Zagros

Seems to be, what utter nonsense.  Is having fun now a taboo?

The woman is young, single mother of two, fairly attractive and making it on her own.  Someone took offense to that, male or female somone didn't like the idea that she was living her own life.  There is nothing objectionable about the picture or the activity described, you can't really tell what she's drinking.  This also took place on her own time, her own private life.

I would bet you wouldn't have to dig too hard to find evidence of things a lot worse being done by professors or regents or members of the school board.

Some bitter small minded person decided to make her life miserable or try to.  I agree with her decision to file suit, but if it were me I would also want my degree and my teaching certificate, unconditionally or I would hire a private detective and start digging up the muck.
Unknown.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

As much sympathy as I feel for her, she should have known. The colleges are not secretive about this and openly state that promiscuous or suggestive pics/comments on the internet that are traceable to you are not allowed. If you are going for a teaching degree or as a teacher, you cannot befriend students on myspace or facebook OR place suggestive pics on them.

She should have known better than to have fun? Have you seen the picture? It's neither suggestive nor promiscuous.  I agree with Red Clay here, she has obviously been persecuted by one of these satan worshipping, so called baptists/evangelicals or whatever silly name they give themselves, who've nothing better to do than to make others' lives hell.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 19:39
I read a few weeks ago that up to a third of managers, supervisors and employers will use the email address of their employees to check things like their myspace profile. Really that is a breach of privacy and the tacit understanding in employment that personal details provided by employees are only provided for the purpose of establishing a practical relationship.

The university authorities were absolutely out of line in revoking a degree to which she was clearly entitled. The fact they did so on the very day before she was due to graduate only demonstrates the especial spite and contempt in which they held her over something totally blameless.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 19:54
She should have known better than to have fun? Have you seen the picture? It's neither suggestive nor promiscuous.

Im simply stating the fact that this policy is well known. Unless she wanted to be a martyr, she should have known better.

As I come closer to my goal of becoming a Classics professor, expect my myspace and facebook profiles to disappear.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 08-May-2007 at 19:57
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 20:07
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

She should have known better than to have fun? Have you seen the picture? It's neither suggestive nor promiscuous.

Im simply stating the fact that this policy is well known. Unless she wanted to be a martyr, she should have known better.

As I come closer to my goal of becoming a Classics professor, expect my myspace and facebook profiles to disappear.

I don't know what school your attending and it doesn't matter.  But I have been taking courses at one of the state teachers schools and I have never seen or heard of any such policy.   I might add that the letters to the editor columns have been overwhelmingly on her side.  She should have known better?  My friend this is the 21st Cent. not the 19th.  The days when teachers were treated as 2nd class citizens or worse and told where they would live, what to wear etc. etc.  are long over.
Unknown.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 00:36
Why did she even apologise? She did nothing wrong. Since when can't an adult drink....this is utterly ridiculous. Probably 99% of people on Facebook have a picture of themselves drinking (how do you tell if thats alcohol anyway), should they all be tracked down and blacklisted too?

New York Times should cover this story just to make a mockery of those idiots in charge of the University.

Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:00
Rediculous. 

You can't promote underage drinking if your not underage yourself and have had no ackowledegable history and or conviction for it as an adult. Why were they looking at her personal web site anyway? Has nothing to do with whether she meet the academic standards and requirements for her degree and cert. Personaly i hope she ends up 'owning' the college.

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 09-May-2007 at 13:07
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:22

I am going for the same career and those things are rife in the UK scholars and professor....drunken pictures would not suffice in sacking or denying them degrees..they would have no lecturers left!Big%20smile

The bishop of Southwark was pictured rather worse for wear, throwing toys out a Mercedes and no one sacked him.....I think...

Edited by New User - 09-May-2007 at 13:25
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:23
Schools here could not even afford to fire her... There is just not enough teachers to go around.... And, of course, the school would be sued out of its mind... The judges would so make pulp of them over such a thing...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply