Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free University of Berlin denies Batak massacre!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free University of Berlin denies Batak massacre!!!
    Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 08:36
http://international.ibox.bg/news/id_1380292856

http://www.sofianewsagency.com/view_news.php?id=79747

This is outrageous!!!That german pseudohistorian(seemingly) Ulf Brunbauer from the Free university of Berlin together with Martina Baleva(Bulgarian) stated that the Batak massacre made from the turks towards Bulgarians from the April Uprising 1876 is a myth.I learned it on the Bulgarian news in wednesday and i'm still fuming with anger

If anyone wants to read more about the uprising go here:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18778&PN=1

In my later posts in the thread i posted documents which you can also read to learn more about the massacres during the surpression which took more than 30 000 innocent Bulgarian lives.The Batak massacre is one of the most terrifying-first the Bulgarians repulsed the turkish attacks but they were few and the turks came into the town.The men together with all the women and children fortified themselves in the churches and schools.The turkish leader Ahmed Aga stated that if they surrender they will be spared and when the Bulgarians surrendered one of the most brutal massacres towards Bulgarians began by the turkish soldiers and bashibozuks(irregulars).The population dropped from 9000 to 1300.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 29-Apr-2007 at 08:15
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 08:50
Even now the bones of all the dead are still kept in the Batak church:
The photos are not for forumers with weak hearts watch at your own responsibility
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/Liudovik/kosti_photo-phorum_milena.jpg

Many of the old men,women and their children never left the church when the the men surrendered...
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/Liudovik/2.jpg

And last but not least:this is not an attempt for starting a flame war between bulgarians and turks i beg the moderators to delete any offensive posts.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 27-Apr-2007 at 08:51
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 08:51
It is an old news and I am sure there were a little exgeration about massacre.

History is always used by nationalists.

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 08:53
Originally posted by Mortaza

It is an old news and I am sure there were a little exgeration about massacre.

I expect proof.For now your statement is wishful thinking.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 09:02
I dont need proof, I dont interest much with It. Most probably, Turks were treated harsh and bulgarian historian exgerated it.

whatever, believe what you want.

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 09:25
Originally posted by Mortaza

I dont need proof, I dont interest much with It.

The easiest way to flee from the question.

Most probably, Turks were treated harsh

Huh?This was an uprising by Bulgarians against the ottoman empire not the opposite.

Oh and by the way in the last sentence in your previous post you stated that the Bulgarian president(who has an education in history) is nationalist together with the whole modern population of Batak which released a massive public outcry together with other Bulgarians across the country.

My history teacher was also shocked by these statements of the Berlin free university and the first half of the history class went in a conversation about it.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 27-Apr-2007 at 09:27
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 09:39

I mean Turks treated harsh..

Also, I dont know why this univercity interest with batak massacre.. Maybe you should know reason?

Nationalist states have not neutral history.(Including Turkey)

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 10:30
Knowing Ulf Brunbauer and his work, I'm pretty sure there is more to it than this. Brunbauer is not really a Historian, he's a Historical Anthropologist, we thats where his work takes him, anyhow.

I am 90% sure he does not deny the existence of the Massacre, just argues against the details/memories of the event. Obviously this article exagerates it just a little bit.

Authors of the scandalous thesis are Martina Baleva and Ulf Brunbauer from the East Europe Institute of the Free University of Berlin.

I think this really highligths the objectivity of the authors of the article!

What i find most ridiculous, is the absolute lack of any analysis of the article itself. I don't think they have even read it.

Anyhow, it is not like Ulf Brunnbauer would have made anything up.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 21:52
Maybe it is an other effort  of history's "reconstruction"  in order to manipulate the historical conscience of people-especially in sensitive areas like the Balkans- , so as to forget the atrocities of the recent past, and head peacefully to their European future. Of course this is the optimum but that shouldn't come by this sly wayDisapprove. People should understand their past and its repercussions in their modern lives, providing that the nationalistic point of view is erased(when we're talking about historical facts) from their minds (by deeper research of their own and common logic).

I can ensure you that  incidents like this are common phaenomenon in E.U. of speeche's and expression's freedom . Statements like the deny of Batak massacre can be doubted by everyone who has elementary knowledge about the subject(or every other subject like physics , biology social sciences etc.etc.depending on the argument)

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 00:04

Will read it when I get some spare time. But if what you say is true...

mein Gott in himmel! Shocked

Join us.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 01:04
Originally posted by Athanasios

Maybe it is an other effort  of history's "reconstruction"  in order to manipulate the historical conscience of people

Yes it is,but not for the Bulgarians the aim is most probably to make the westerners think that it didn't happen.However i doubt that these two are doing it on purpose after all they know what will follow if they declare it a myth.Fokus(Bulgarian informational agency) even clearly said that Ulf and the woman were funded by Turkey in order to make the europeans look at them with a better feeling.
We don't want compensations from Turkey for the massacre,we just want the historical truth.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 01:36
With all due respect, the photo you posted are little suspecious. First, it is normal that you find bones in churches. I have been to churches where piles and piles of bones are collected for those who passed and burried in the church.
Second, I'm not sure but those skulls you posted of grown individuals in contrast to the idea of mass massacre with different sizes of victims' skulls. I'm not denying or confirming the massacre, but there is a tendency to exaggerate the downside of the Ottoman era. One example is an arguement with a member about 2 years ago in this forum where he stressed on the "secret schools". It turned out that it is a myth and exaggeration and I posted even from a respected Greek newspaper that proves this. So, having different sides of the story is always good especially that nationalism is one of the greatest dangers of objectivity.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 06:14
Originally posted by ok ge

With all due respect, the photo you posted are little suspecious. First, it is normal that you find bones in churches. I have been to churches where piles and piles of bones are collected for those who passed and burried in the church.

The second picture was taken by D.Kavra in 1878.The first is a newer one made more recently.
Well maybe this american journalist who visited the Bulgarian lands after the surpression of the uprising was a wild Bulgarian nationalist to write this article for the english newspaper Daily News:
http://www.attackingthedevil.co.uk/related/macgahan.php

Maybe William Gladstone,Oskar Wilde,Charles Darwin,Victor Hugo and Giuseppe Garibaldi,Fyodor Dostoevsky,Leo Tolstoy were also Bulgarian nationalists for condemning the massacres.
Second, I'm not sure but those skulls you posted of grown individuals in contrast to the idea of mass massacre with different sizes of victims' skulls.

Look more carefully to the skulls in the left and compare them with the size of the ones to the right if you don't mind.Oh and how will you explain that nearly all the sculls have holes in their heads?

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Apr-2007 at 06:21
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 06:21
Turkey have no job with this my friend. I dont think that Turkey have any problem with bulgarians..

Dont accuse Turkey.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 10:28
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

Oh and how will you explain that nearly all the sculls have holes in their heads?

The Ottomans must have those victims lined up and used a strong enough hammer to make a whole in each victim's head. This might spice up the story little bit too if you desire it.

P.S: Truth is never verified by how many people believe in it. Anyhow, I will invistigate more later to verify a more objective view of the incident
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 12:15
Originally posted by ok ge

Anyhow, I will invistigate more later to verify a more objective view of the incident

Ok then i await your reports and documents.For now you only try to provoke with empty statements just like Brunbauer.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 28-Apr-2007 at 12:18
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 14:06
In 1930's the new Turkish government had sold/sent many (tons of) Ottoman archives to Bulgaria. 

for Turkish users, this video might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oon1dnqXmSs

(there was even a Quran written in 18th century which weight over 70kg!).
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 15:41
Liudovik, you are talking about a fairly prestigious Academic here. Ulf Brunnbauer is no lightweight. I think you accusations and the Bulgarian Media Accusations are near enough to defamation.

You are basically accusing him of Lies, WITHOUT HAVING READ HIS ARTICLE. Its such a ridiculous concept.

It matters not how many articles, evidence you use in an attempt to prove that the massacre happened or not, that is NOT relevant to this discussion. Relevant, information would be posting the article/book thats under discussion or looking at reviews. Until that is available, I think its a bit of a cheap shot at Brunnbauer.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 16:16
Well, some others(bulgarian journalists) may have read it. The hole concept was that Batak massacre was an exaggeration or even a myth.
Of course mr.Brundauer is a prestigious academic (i conclude it from his seat ) , but we have the right to have our own judgement up on his works. Historical statements(even those of significant academics) can be doudted as well, providing that we have the suitable arguments...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 16:54
Originally posted by Athanasios

Well, some others(bulgarian journalists) may have read it. The hole concept was that Batak massacre was an exaggeration or even a myth.
Of course mr.Brundauer is a prestigious academic (i conclude it from his seat ) , but we have the right to have our own judgement up on his works. Historical statements(even those of significant academics) can be doudted as well, providing that we have the suitable arguments...

I didn't read the article either. What I know is that they do not deny the massacre, but want to separate Muslim content and the massacre itself. But it seems they do it in a very non-polite way. Bulgarian journalists are as other journalists -- people who speak about things they don't know much about Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>